Intel HD Graphics / GMA 5700

sockerkid

1,324 posts in this topic

All the tests I did were on the lion. Now i have found the problem of my "still wait.."

Link

Maybe, the system recognizes my second video card now. And this is good, also for Intel HD Graphics

Why do you think this is good? Intel HD Graphics frame-buffer has zero dependency on Nvidia - at least I wasn't able to find any based on disassemble of AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext.

I have nvidia optimus. This technology has two video card. Intel HD Graphics and Nvidia 310M

I think this is good because the Nvidia card gets the signal from the intel card. If Lion stuck on "still wait..." for this reason (for nvidia card) probably because it recognizes the card nvidia, and to do this, you need the card intel functions

In this technology the nvidia card do not work without Intel HD (in the 99% of laptop)

What do you think?

I have nvidia optimus. This technology has two video card. Intel HD Graphics and Nvidia 310M

I think this is good because the Nvidia card gets the signal from the intel card. If Lion stuck on "still wait..." for this reason (for nvidia card) probably because it recognizes the card nvidia, and to do this, you need the card intel functions

In this technology the nvidia card do not work without Intel HD (in the 99% of laptop)

What do you think?

"Still waiting for root device" indicates that your disk is either not ready or your disk controller is not recognized (or southbridge which is a pipe from CPU to disk controller).

"Still waiting for root device" indicates that your disk is either not ready or your disk controller is not recognized (or southbridge which is a pipe from CPU to disk controller).

Ei man have you read the link? and my last posts?

I have "still wait.." if i install ONLY intel hd graphics kexts from 10.7.2

With 10.7 and Snow i not have this error, i have only install 10.7.2 and i have also tested to install IntelHd kexts form 10.7.2 on 10.7

10.7 --> I can boot normally

10.7 + upgrade 10.7.2 --> "still wait..."

10.7 + AppleIntelHD kexts from 10.7.2 --> "still wait..."

How do you explain that?

Ei man have you read the link? and my last posts?

I have "still wait.." if i install ONLY intel hd graphics kexts from 10.7.2

With 10.7 and Snow i not have this error, i have only install 10.7.2 and i have also tested to install IntelHd kexts form 10.7.2 on 10.7

10.7 --> I can boot normally

10.7 + upgrade 10.7.2 --> "still wait..."

10.7 + AppleIntelHD kexts from 10.7.2 --> "still wait..."

How do you explain that?

I will try on 10.7 and apple HD kexts on my laptop and report back...I hope by the end of the day. But it's meaningless anyway - most framebuffer setup is done by AppleGraphicsControl kext which can't be loaded since there is no GMUX device....

I'm sure you know what you say, but I think you have to try.

Now with new bios of my laptop, i can't disable nvidia card. You let us know how it goes when you can

I try to edit the dsdt

So where are we on this? I had native res way back when this was only 10 pages long... Just not acceleration. I have a Lenovo x201t tablet with a i5-520UM that I'd love to get working!

Has anyone tried on a lion install? Seems everyone is talking about using the kexts on Snow Leopard, but that's horribly ineffective as to many dependencies we don't know...!

I'm just debating on selling the laptop for an 11" macbook...

Phil

(disregard signature, it's old, my main machine is a beast of a hackintosh on z68 platform, might update it...)

Phil. Would you mind letting me know how you got native res? I would be eternally greatful.

-Nemo

I'm sure you know what you say, but I think you have to try.

Now with new bios of my laptop, i can't disable nvidia card. You let us know how it goes when you can

I try to edit the dsdt

To summarize:

- I have Samsung RC508 with IntelHDGraphics (i5-480M) and Nvidia Geforce 315M in Optimus combination. No possibility to disable Nvidia in bios nor anywhere else.

Snow leopard > 10.6.7 - stays in text mode - loads both AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext and AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kexts - viewable over VNC

Lion 10.7.0 - freezes on boot when AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext and AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kexts are in /S/L/E

Without kexts it loads standard VESA framebuffer.

Lion 10.7.2 kexts: AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext and AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kexts

Same as Snow Leopard. Boots, stays in text mode but accesible through VNC (in attach)Lion10.7.2update.tiff

Phil. Would you mind letting me know how you got native res? I would be eternally greatful.

-Nemo

Didn't do anything special just had it on the bootlist settings file. I couldn't change it in displays but it worked so I was kosher.

Didn't do anything special just had it on the bootlist settings file. I couldn't change it in displays but it worked so I was kosher.

You mean your com.apple.boot.plist (as in <key>Graphics Mode, blah blah blah...), or something else? I have tried that method to no avail :P . Anyone else have any tips for getting native res? I'm on a Gateway NV79 i3-330 GMAHD... etc.

Thanks

You mean your com.apple.boot.plist (as in Graphics Mode, blah blah blah...), or something else? I have tried that method to no avail :P . Anyone else have any tips for getting native res? I'm on a Gateway NV79 i3-330 GMAHD... etc.

Thanks

This not work for all.

fiox89 unfortunately with the resolution of dsdt no .. although loaded with all Kexts

I have tried this, but no change. Thanks anyway

I just realized a few things that were so obvious I can't really understand how I didn't see them before (I guess I am not the brightest guy in the world).

A question - why would you NOT have any connector info in FrameBuffer driver? :-). Or better - why you don't really need a connector info in framebuffer driver when all other framebuffer drives have it?

Hint - would you need a road sign if there was nowhere to turn? :unsure:.

oki270: news? you have understand how edit connector info in FrameBuffer?

yurik: i have news version of chameleon, in this day i put Lion and i try to use version 1083

oki270: news? you have understand how edit connector info in FrameBuffer?

There is no connector info in framebuffer because in MBP 6,1/2 graphic cards don't output to monitors. They output to MUX. Always. So that's why if you disassemble AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB you won't see connector info, you won't see anything related to EDID or anything related to ACPI _DSM method which on my non-mac (and mac's without mux) contains connector info.

"Testing" of new drivers is useless since those drivers don't have capability to work without MUX and they will never have such capability. (yes I finally had time to take a better look at AppleGraphicsControl.kext).

As standalone framebuffer they work (as you can see from my screenshot) - viewable through VNC, or through fbdump. Driver is just not able to initialize GPU to tell it in which memory location is framebuffer nor to which output to pin it up.

There are 3 possibilities to do:

1) Write graphics enabler which will collect connector info, edid, modes, timings and feed AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB instead of AppleGraphicsControl

2) Write framebuffer for Intel HD graphics card

3) If you can't do (1) or (2) and don't know anyone who will do it - just realize you won't have this working. If you want OS X with full resolution buy another laptop which works or even better buy MBP and live happily ever after.

That's it from me on this thread.

(I am still thinking of working on point 1. but I won't work on it if no other developer can help).

BR,

Oki.

@fiox89

I have dsdt with nvidia powered up. No lvds connected, because its set up to render to the Intel... Look for _osi(Linux) And (^^PCI0.GFX0, 0x00) (hehe yes) under PCI0 _ini or someting... I´m not home now. can send it to you later... Sorry, I did not know you needed it.

It have not helped me much to get the intelfb going , but it´s good for testing I guess.

I urge you all to take a look at this thing:

DIY eGPU @ forum.notebookreview.com

They have loads of info on Intel setups and you name it...

I just started to test it, but no results. Have any of you tried it?

Happy Hacki´n!

There is no connector info in framebuffer because in MBP 6,1/2 graphic cards don't output to monitors. They output to MUX. Always. So that's why if you disassemble AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB you won't see connector info, you won't see anything related to EDID or anything related to ACPI _DSM method which on my non-mac (and mac's without mux) contains connector info.

"Testing" of new drivers is useless since those drivers don't have capability to work without MUX and they will never have such capability. (yes I finally had time to take a better look at AppleGraphicsControl.kext).

As standalone framebuffer they work (as you can see from my screenshot) - viewable through VNC, or through fbdump. Driver is just not able to initialize GPU to tell it in which memory location is framebuffer nor to which output to pin it up.

1) Write graphics enabler which will collect connector info, edid, modes, timings and feed AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB instead of AppleGraphicsControl

3) If you can't do (1) or (2) and don't know anyone who will do it - just realize you won't have this working. If you want OS X with full resolution buy another laptop which works or even better buy MBP and live happily ever after.

(I am still thinking of working on point 1. but I won't work on it if no other developer can help).

BR,

Oki.

Can you examine the X3100 Kexts and tell us the difference between these integrated graphics kexts? I mean we can take this route but we'll probably lose QE/CI.

BR,

Oki.

U may be right that the FB gives output to MuX but that is nothing new. ... Your 3 possibilities are also useless

1 is wrong ... GPU is detected also the memory position is not the problem ... EDID is read correctly, also in my case connector info is set corr.

2 write new FB I once tried and came to the result, that it is to complex, to do it next to work in the free time. There has to be a §great§ programmer who can do it in his freetime

3 also useless ... we want to get gma 5700 to run, and u do not need to tell us, that it is easier to buy a different notebook ....

But in one point u are right ... Output is given to MUX and not to LVDS

Can we edit the new Intel HD 3000 framebuffer to work with our GMA5700 ? It has got connectorinfo...

I can get it loaded and connect via VNC...(i can't see the desktop on the internal display, it shows the grey apple screen)

Edit:

If i connect a monitor to VGA before i turn on the laptop ( internal display is disabled ) I can get this: http://noob.hu/2011/08/15/HD3000_2.jpg

post-603338-1313409715_thumb.jpg

I only can control my laptop with VNC. It isn't any signal on connectors... In VNC i can get 1024x768 , 1280x1024 and 1680x1050

I am using 1024 because my desktop monitors max res. is 1440x900...

But the screen is nice with all resolutions... :)