Intel HD Graphics / GMA 5700

sockerkid

1,324 posts in this topic

Okay, I give up.

I read the whole threads last night and finally noticed that my conclusions had already been made for half a year, YET NO ONE achieved the goal!!

Maybe it is quite easy for professional engineers and hackers to find the keys, but it is really too difficult for amature ones like me...

My plan: just quit and sit back to see what will happen, or throw my EP121 into the trash can and get a new tab...

Maybe Samsung 700T with HD3000? \(^O^)/

Hi Alex

I followed your work on a Toshiba Portege and you mentioned that you got the graphics working there (I5 Sandybridge)

There are a lot of us looking for a fix. Can you let me know what you did/

Thanks

“……No amount of injecting of EFI strings or DSDT changes will or could help. To get native resolution you need a working framebuffer. Now all of you use VESA framebuffer which will give you only VESA resolutions (Some DELL and Sony laptops have a bit different VGA BIOS which includes their native resolution for LVDS so they already in Chameleon have native res as a video-mode). Framebuffer kext for INTELHD lacks part of code that would command output PIPEs for all cards not connected to mux (yes, in MBP with intelhd output is connected to HW mux). So it will never work if someone do not rewrite this part of kext or write a new one. And that most likely won’t happen.”

LOL, just noticed a grammar mistake in my own post :gun:. Please do not repost it - I feel ashamed...

I think the fb can actually see the laptop display.

By setting the model to MacBookPro 6,1 or adding AAPL,os-info via efi string or dsdt, when the login window should come up, the screen goes gray (like it should) for a split second, then black, and then gray again, with some darker stripes. It freezes at this striped gray screen, however. Can't vnc or ssh at all.

Check it out:

Screenshot 1

Screenshot 2

I think the fb can actually see the laptop display.

By setting the model to MacBookPro 6,1 or adding AAPL,os-info via efi string or dsdt, when the login window should come up, the screen goes gray (like it should) for a split second, then black, and then gray again, with some darker stripes. It freezes at this striped gray screen, however. Can't vnc or ssh at all.

Check it out:

Screenshot 1

Screenshot 2

Do you get a hard lock up, or a temporary slowdown? I suppose a dead giveaway would be the caps lock light.

In any case, does the system get far enough that you can bring it down gracefully, then examine the windowserver.log file? That would clue us in as to how far the init got.

Alex

Do you get a hard lock up, or a temporary slowdown? I suppose a dead giveaway would be the caps lock light.

In any case, does the system get far enough that you can bring it down gracefully, then examine the windowserver.log file? That would clue us in as to how far the init got.

Alex

It's a hard lock up. The caps lock light does not turn on.

kernel.log and system.log don't show anything strange and the windowserver.log doesn't even get created.

These gray stripes have a few horizontal lines towards the left side of the screen on which the darker stripes are flickering.

By the way, this is what booting looks like.

I noticed something interesting with the 6.1 identity also. When I boot, the screen will freeze on the normal apple boot screen but when I plug something into the HDMI port, the lvds will come on but reflect the settings of the monitor plugged into the HDMI In my case, a 1080 screen. So the laptop screen is garbled as if trying to display the higher res. The HDMI port does not work at all. If I unplug the HDMI, the lvds goes out again. The computer is up and running, I can't see the mouse cursor but I can tab around and see that the system is running. I did this the other night and profiler will show the properties of the monitor that the HDMI is plugged into, not the lvds

I've got an I5 sandy bridge Toshiba so this might be apples and oranges

As an Electrical Engineer myself, I thought about this. The upcoming standard is Display Port (DP), whereas older standards are TMDS, LVDS, DVI, HDMI and also VGA. The Intel chips have support for the old legacy standards, even though Apple is pushing for DP.

<snip> </snip>

Alex,

Take a look at preModeChange and postModeChange methods in FB kext. Then take a look at linux driver for the same card. Then take a look at documentation for Arrandale (on intellinuxgraphics.org). You will notice that few things are missing on OSX side to correctly program CRTC (and choose output PIPE A or :rolleyes: and initialize output. At one point of time I though of rewriting those two methods but noticed there is not enough space in kext to rewrite it so I would have enlarge kext by hand or configure boot loader to re-route those methods to different kext (take a look at my posts on projectosx under Development - topic "Re-route Kext Method").

In the mean time I bought MBP so I don't have a any need to spend time on this anymore.

BR,

Oki.

I tried a few more things.

The fb doesn't seem to like the laptop display. Setting the aapl,os-info to anything that enables LVDS causes the display to go gray, then black, then gray again and freeze (like in my previous post).

I can prevent the windowserver from starting up and check ioreg (which shows the framebuffer does load) via ssh, but the computer crashes as soon as I try to start the windowserver.

Setting the os-info to anything else makes the display go gray, but the laptop does not freeze. Screen sharing shows AppleIntelHDGraphics and the FB loaded. QE appears to be supported but disabled (probably because there's no display detected).

Trying to boot with an external display connected through VGA causes a freeze when windowserver loads. The external display is gray, with a white, vertical distorted band. The laptop display goes gray, then black. Then it goes gray again for one second, then red, green, blue, darker gray, horizontal black->white gradient, vertical black->white gradient and loops.

The external monitor gets no signal if I connect it after booting.

I will try to see what happens with an external display connected through HDMI when I get the chance.

I tried booting with a HDMI external monitor connected.

As soon as the windowserver starts, the HDMI monitor loses signal.

However, the laptop display goes on and the computer starts up, but with a really garbled image. It looks a bit weird in screenshots and screen sharing too.

ioreg reveals that the framebuffer picks up the laptop display EDID correctly. It also reports that the GPU can't use more than 256MB of RAM, whereas in Windows, it can use just over 1GB. QE and CI are both active and resolution changing works (it boots up to the display's preferred resolution of 1600x900).

Injecting AAPL,aux-power-connected true in device-properties causes the laptop to stay solid gray after booting. The computer isn't frozen, and the framebuffer will report an error in the kernel.log every few seconds. The login window does not come up.

Reconnecting the HDMI monitor doesn't get it detected, but nothing happens to the laptop display either.

I can can attach ioreg dumps, screenshots and such if anyone thinks they could use them.

I tried booting with a HDMI external monitor connected.

As soon as the windowserver starts, the HDMI monitor loses signal.

However, the laptop display goes on and the computer starts up, but with a really garbled image. It looks a bit weird in screenshots and screen sharing too.

ioreg reveals that the framebuffer picks up the laptop display EDID correctly. It also reports that the GPU can't use more than 256MB of RAM, whereas in Windows, it can use just over 1GB. QE and CI are both active and resolution changing works (it boots up to the display's preferred resolution of 1600x900).

Injecting AAPL,aux-power-connected true in device-properties causes the laptop to stay solid gray after booting. The computer isn't frozen, and the framebuffer will report an error in the kernel.log every few seconds. The login window does not come up.

Reconnecting the HDMI monitor doesn't get it detected, but nothing happens to the laptop display either.

I can can attach ioreg dumps, screenshots and such if anyone thinks they could use them.

Does this happen with the os-info, or without. Does it still hard lock-up with os-info with the HDMI? Also, is this SL or Lion? The kexts are quite different in both.

Initially I thought your lockups were causes by bad memory initialisation, but your mention of 256 MB RAM sounds correct. That kills my thought that the memory pointers were bad. SNB gets 384 MB I believe, but there are options to adjust that in the kext.

Please attach ioreg and screenshots.

Regards,

Alex

The hard lock-up is completely gone if I boot with the HDMI attached. When booting is done, the HDMI loses signal and the laptop display goes on.

In most cases, goes to the desktop normally, but the laptop display is very messed up. It's not stuck though and I can move my mouse pointer and stuff. VNC and screenshots look better, but not quite right either. Logs all look OK.

Here are pictures, screenshots (from screen sharing, but taking them with cmd-shift-3 on the laptop looks the same), logs (kernel, system and windowserver) and the ioreg from such a boot.

However, injecting some specific values via DSDT (it's not AAPL,aux-power-connected like I thought earlier, I haven't figured out which ones) causes a different behavior. The HDMI still loses signal, but the laptop monitor goes on to a solid gray image (no more stripes or distortions this time). No hard lock-up this time either, but it does not boot past this point. Screen sharing connects, but shows no image (or a black image at 1600x900 rarely). I can ssh to get logs and the ioreg. Ioreg stops at Gen575 for some reason. Most interesting in this case is the kernel.log which reports some errors related to AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB. These errors stop at "Overflowed checking for stamp 0x76". Unlike before, I can't get it to shut down cleanly. reboot or shutdown in ssh both cause the connection to be dropped, but the laptop does not turn off.

Here are the logs and the ioreg (up to Gen575) from such a boot.

In both these cases I'm using the os-info from MacBookPro6,1 (which previously did cause a hard lock-up). I'll try with a few others and let you know how it goes.

The hard lock-up is completely gone if I boot with the HDMI attached. When booting is done, the HDMI loses signal and the laptop display goes on.

In most cases, goes to the desktop normally, but the laptop display is very messed up. It's not stuck though and I can move my mouse pointer and stuff. VNC and screenshots look better, but not quite right either. Logs all look OK.

Here are pictures, screenshots (from screen sharing, but taking them with cmd-shift-3 on the laptop looks the same), logs (kernel, system and windowserver) and the ioreg from such a boot.

However, injecting some specific values via DSDT (it's not AAPL,aux-power-connected like I thought earlier, I haven't figured out which ones) causes a different behavior. The HDMI still loses signal, but the laptop monitor goes on to a solid gray image (no more stripes or distortions this time). No hard lock-up this time either, but it does not boot past this point. Screen sharing connects, but shows no image (or a black image at 1600x900 rarely). I can ssh to get logs and the ioreg. Ioreg stops at Gen575 for some reason. Most interesting in this case is the kernel.log which reports some errors related to AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB. These errors stop at "Overflowed checking for stamp 0x76". Unlike before, I can't get it to shut down cleanly. reboot or shutdown in ssh both cause the connection to be dropped, but the laptop does not turn off.

Here are the logs and the ioreg (up to Gen575) from such a boot.

In both these cases I'm using the os-info from MacBookPro6,1 (which previously did cause a hard lock-up). I'll try with a few others and let you know how it goes.

I just had a quick-ish look at your files. Great work! Just a question, can you tell me what happens when you start up with HDMI plugged in?

On my laptop, with HDMI plugged in, it defaults to the HDMI, ie, the TOSHIBA BIOS and spash screen is on the external monitor, the internal LCD screen is off, no backlight, no activity, nothing.

If yours is the same, and halfway during the boot the HDMI external goes off, and the LCD comes on (with backlight), then it confirms my suspicion that all the necessary code is there. In that case, we need to definitely get me a test machine ASAP.

Regards,

Alex

On my laptop, with HDMI plugged in, it defaults to the HDMI, ie, the TOSHIBA BIOS and spash screen is on the external monitor, the internal LCD screen is off, no backlight, no activity, nothing.

If yours is the same, and halfway during the boot the HDMI external goes off, and the LCD comes on (with backlight), then it confirms my suspicion that all the necessary code is there. In that case, we need to definitely get me a test machine ASAP.

Regards,

Alex

This is what happens.

Hard lock-up unless I boot with the HDMI plugged in.