Intel HD Graphics / GMA 5700

sockerkid

1,324 posts in this topic

Hi Irako, my display native resolution is 1366x768. The best thing you can do to increase your display resolution is to install Chameleon bootloader (I use Chameleon Wizard or Champlist). Please get the latest build. Then set your Graphics Mode to your display native resolution (mine is: 1366x768x32@60). You won't have hardware acceleration but at least you will get a decent resolution.

Ciao

Thnx Pentothal, i will try this as long as i can get lion fully working on my gateway, right now im stuck at the [pci configuration] problem, i updated directly from 10.6 to 10.6.8 with combo update,

and i can't get rid off it, I already trya a lot of "tricks" but none work for me, if you or somebody else knows how to get 10.6.8 nice n easy or how to install lion from the fresh, i will highly aprecciatte... my spec below!

thnx again Pentothal and all of the guys that are working hard on this!!!

oki270: you think we can flash the vga bios with bios from dell or sony laptop? (to get the correct resolution)

The problem is that videobios is in the same flash as system BIOS. I wouldn't re-flash it with other computer BIOS. I am adding in a free time some things to chameleon to try to patch video resolutions after boot at 0xC0000 RAM space (it's quite different for i5 than what's done in chameleon already using 915resolutions) so we'll see what happens when I get more free time. I will post here the results.

Oh yeah - note to all preaching using GraphicsMode in chameleon - if your video bios does not have those modes already (you can see them in chameleon prompt writing ?video) - there will be no effect of GraphicsMode parameter. Don't bother doing that. And for advice givers - please at least take a look at source code before giving useless advices.

BR,

oki

The problem is that videobios is in the same flash as system BIOS. I wouldn't re-flash it with other computer BIOS. I am adding in a free time some things to chameleon to try to patch video resolutions after boot at 0xC0000 RAM space (it's quite different for i5 than what's done in chameleon already using 915resolutions) so we'll see what happens when I get more free time. I will post here the results.

Thanks for the explanation oki270

"If you don't have an Intel HD chip with a secondary nVidia card, this will not work. The only way that the Intel HD kexts will work is if someone like Netkas ( biggrin.gif ) modifies the kexts to always loopback to the Intel Card, effectively killing the nVidia string in the kext.**"

Starting point

An user, ways of italian forum, have linked me this page --> Link

Maybe this can help someone with HP g62 b51se

This disable Intel HD for run ONLY ati 5470

This seems a solution for users with double video card. Maybe this can help users with only Intel HD, or maybe not

However, this is good news

An user, ways of italian forum, have linked me this page --> Link

Maybe this can help someone with HP g62 b51se

This disable Intel HD for run ONLY ati 5470

This seems a solution for users with double video card. Maybe this can help users with only Intel HD, or maybe not

However, this is good news

"This utility is not for this platform!" on my HP Pavilion dv6-3125er with Intel HD/ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650, when i run this hpbfo100.exe from dos =/

4) Configure your Chameleon Bootloader:

*Configure your bootloader to load Darwin Vanilla Kernel 10.7 (mach_kernel)

*Configure your bootloader to load MacBook Pro 8,1 SMBIOS

*Add GraphicsEnabler key in Boot.plist and set the string to YES.

I am still confuse about this step, I am sorry I'm still newbie :o

Had anybody noticed the normal mouse icon on the scrambled screen after removing the IntelHDGraphicsFB.kext? I can move the normal mouse icon here and there on the scrambled backgound without blurring it!! May this be my case ONLY, or all the Intel HD mouse icons have the same result?

My thought is that: if the mouse is in the right place of the shared video memory and reveals correct shapes, then there will be a correct address for the FB kext to MODIFY and reveal all correct graphics!! Shame on me not being so clever to figure that correct address out. Hope some genius guys can help us...

BTW, I am working on an ASUS EP121 using Lion 10.71, with everything working EXCEPT the bad Intel HD graphics...

Hello all,

I had a look at the kext with IDA Pro. Far as I can tell, it looks pretty straightforward, and a little older generation than the Sandy Bridge HD 3000 kext.

I did not see any reference/dependancies on Nvidia, so I reckon it won't be too hard to get the HD Graphics FB working - with a little hacking.

My issue is, I do not have a test laptop with a HD Graphics chipset.

Is there anybody who lives near to me (Bankstown, Sydney, Australia) that has been trying to get QE/CI working with the older i3/i5/i7 HD Graphics (non Sandy Bridge)?

If you are (or do have a spare laptop), shoot me a PM, and bring it over for a few hours. We may be able to tackle this once and for all, I reckon a little reverse engineering and patching the kext would be all that is needed.

Regards,

Alex

Hello all,

I had a look at the kext with IDA Pro. Far as I can tell, it looks pretty straightforward, and a little older generation than the Sandy Bridge HD 3000 kext.

I did not see any reference/dependancies on Nvidia, so I reckon it won't be too hard to get the HD Graphics FB working - with a little hacking.

My issue is, I do not have a test laptop with a HD Graphics chipset.

Is there anybody who lives near to me (Bankstown, Sydney, Australia) that has been trying to get QE/CI working with the older i3/i5/i7 HD Graphics (non Sandy Bridge)?

If you are (or do have a spare laptop), shoot me a PM, and bring it over for a few hours. We may be able to tackle this once and for all, I reckon a little reverse engineering and patching the kext would be all that is needed.

Regards,

Alex

Hi Alex,

unfortunately I live on the other side of the planet otherwise I would come around with my laptop.

"I did not see any reference/dependancies on Nvidia, so I reckon it won't be too hard to get the HD Graphics FB working - with a little hacking."

Maybe the reference or the dependencies on Nvidia are in other kexts like: IOGraphicsFamily.kext or AppleGraphicsControl.kext or AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext.

If I can help you with this please let me know. I could test your modified kext since I have an i3-350m processor with only integrated gpu.

Cheers

Hi Alex,

unfortunately I live on the other side of the planet otherwise I would come around with my laptop.

"I did not see any reference/dependancies on Nvidia, so I reckon it won't be too hard to get the HD Graphics FB working - with a little hacking."

Maybe the reference or the dependencies on Nvidia are in other kexts like: IOGraphicsFamily.kext or AppleGraphicsControl.kext or AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext.

If I can help you with this please let me know. I could test your modified kext since I have an i3-350m processor with only integrated gpu.

Cheers

Thanks for the reply. Kext hacking, is essentially, that.

It involves 2-3 machines, (or just the one if you're very patient). A SSD also helps a lot because there's lots of crashes, and panics, and after one of these crashes, mds goes ape crazy for a good 30 mins re-indexing the drive.

Basically, I'd need to disassemble/reverse engineer the HD FB kext, and make some *adjustments* (evil grin). Said adjustments are byte changes to the code flow, usually to force loading of the kext or force certain routines to run/not run.

95 out of 100 times, the adjustment results in kernel panics, hence the need for a SSD and probably a USB recovery drive or some method to undo so you can boot again, very time consuming.

I have no doubt however, than it's possible to hack the kext to give QE/CI on the HD graphics, and I'm actually surprised nobody has succeeded yet, (or maybe they have but just kept quiet).

We'll see if there's anybody close enough with one of these machines, to be a guinea pig.

Thanks,

Alex

Look inside IntelHDGraphics.kext itselft, a certain numbers of board-id such as "Mac-8ED6AF5B48C039E1"(=Mac mini 5,1), "Mac-7BA5B2794B2CDB12"(=Mac mini 5,3), "Mac-C08A6BB70A942AC2"(=MacBook Air 4,1), "Mac-742912EFDBEE19B3"(=MacBook Air 4,2) can be found at the OVERRIDE section. All they have in common is the SandyBridge Intel HD 3000 ONLY video output WITHOUT OPTIMUS!! My conclusion is that: we can chang SMBios and FakeSMC to MBA4,1 and injected DSDT to make Intel HD become AAPL00 and redirect the renderer(video RAMDAC) info IOVARenderer inside the IntelHDGraphics.kext Gen575 back to 4587520(=0x460000), then the driver will switch to a Gen575 Intel HD 0x0046 ONLY video output mode!! We can have the Intel HD do its work!!

I had already tried to use the renedrer 4587520 in info.plist, then the screen is blacked out (guess it had been switched to OPTIMUS mode by the native driver automatically according to the BIOS parameters) but I can access it with TightVNC Viewer to login and do some work-arounds such as change the correct resolutions!! I find all the IntelHDGraphicsXXX.kexts had been correctly loaded!!

Too pity I do not have a MBA4,1 FakeSMC, or I'll try it out immediately... Can anybody give me a hand?

PS: I DO KNOW the TightVNC accessibility is no more news, but I have recognized that no resolution change can be made without changing the IOVARenderer back to 4587520!! This had inspired me of the FakeSMC possibility...

Look inside IntelHDGraphics.kext itselft, a certain numbers of board-id such as "Mac-8ED6AF5B48C039E1"(=Mac mini 5,1), "Mac-7BA5B2794B2CDB12"(=Mac mini 5,3), "Mac-C08A6BB70A942AC2"(=MacBook Air 4,1), "Mac-742912EFDBEE19B3"(=MacBook Air 4,2) can be found at the OVERRIDE section. All they have in common is the SandyBridge Intel HD 3000 ONLY video output WITHOUT OPTIMUS!! My conclusion is that: we can chang SMBios and FakeSMC to MBA4,1 and injected DSDT to make Intel HD become AAPL00 and redirect the renderer(video RAMDAC) info IOVARenderer inside the IntelHDGraphics.kext Gen575 back to 4587520(=0x460000), then the driver will switch to a Gen575 Intel HD 0x0046 ONLY video output mode!! We can have the Intel HD do its work!!

I had already tried to use the renedrer 4587520 in info.plist, then the screen is blacked out (guess it had been switched to OPTIMUS mode by the native driver automatically according to the BIOS parameters) but I can access it with TightVNC Viewer to login and do some work-arounds such as change the correct resolutions!! I find all the IntelHDGraphicsXXX.kexts had been correctly loaded!!

Too pity I do not have a MBA4,1 FakeSMC, or I'll try it out immediately... Can anybody give me a hand?

PS: I DO KNOW the TightVNC accessibility is no more news, but I have recognized that no resolution change can be made without changing the IOVARenderer back to 4587520!! This had inspired me of the FakeSMC possibility...

I wasnt aware that there is a specific model identification on FakeSMC until now, searched on how alter it to a specific model but nothing comes up, im confused have to read more.. how do you go about changing the FakeSMC model?

Found this while searching on putting a model on FakeSMC.kext, could that help?:

http://www.kexts.com/view/1901-fakesmc.kex..._the_model.html

Many thanks for the generous helping hands!! at the first place...

No luck, not working. That kext caused many KPs on my system. 2 or 3 times I had logged in successfully, but the profiler showed "MacBook Air" in the title and "MacBook Pro (17 inches, early 2011)" below it!! No wonder my poor EP121 got crazy KPs on this, even me lol!! :("

Now it's up to the GREATEST MASTERS Netkas and Slice again!! Hope they may give us good new FakeSMCs to turn the system into a MBA4,1, and try out my silly ideas...

Many thanks for the generous helping hands!! at the first place...

No luck, not working. That kext caused many KPs on my system. 2 or 3 times I had logged in successfully, but the profiler showed "MacBook Air" in the title and "MacBook Pro (17 inches, early 2011)" below it!! No wonder my poor EP121 got crazy KPs on this, even me lol!! :) "

Now it's up to the GREATEST MASTERS Netkas and Slice again!! Hope they may give us good new FakeSMCs to turn the system into a MBA4,1, and try out my silly ideas...

Hi Leon,

Thanks a lot for your inspiration. :) I'have tried your method, got a couple of KP and then I was able to login. Profiler reported "MacBook Air 11-inch, Mid 2011". No kext loaded though. I couldn't compile the DSDT, I got warnings. I have attached the DSDT if you want to have a look and help me out with this.

Thanks in advance

Pentothal

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intel ACPI Component Architecture

ASL Optimizing Compiler version 20110211-32 [Feb 12 2011]

Copyright © 2000 - 2011 Intel Corporation

/Users/#######/Desktop/DSDTFixer/DSDTFixer.app/Contents/Resources/files/dsdt.dsl 8321: Method (_CRS, 0, Serialized)

Warning 1088 - Not all control paths return a value ^ (_CRS)

/Users/#######/Desktop/DSDTFixer/DSDTFixer.app/Contents/Resources/files/dsdt.dsl 8321: Method (_CRS, 0, Serialized)

Warning 1081 - Reserved method must return a value ^ (Buffer required for _CRS)

/Users/#######/Desktop/DSDTFixer/DSDTFixer.app/Contents/Resources/files/dsdt.dsl 9850: Name (BUFF, Package () {})

Remark 5072 - Effective AML package length is zero ^

/Users/franksallustio/Desktop/DSDTFixer/DSDTFixer.app/Contents/Resources/files/dsdt.dsl 9863: Name (BUFF, Package () {})

/Users/#######/Desktop/DSDTFixer/DSDTFixer.app/Contents/Resources/files/dsdt.dsl 9960: Name (BUFF, Package () {})

/Users/#######/Desktop/DSDTFixer/DSDTFixer.app/Contents/Resources/files/dsdt.dsl 10016: Name (BUFF, Package () {})

/Users/#######/Desktop/DSDTFixer/DSDTFixer.app/Contents/Resources/files/dsdt.dsl 10189: Name (BUFF, Package () {})

/Users/#######/Desktop/DSDTFixer/DSDTFixer.app/Contents/Resources/files/dsdt.dsl 10201: Name (BUFF, Package () {})

/Users/#######/Desktop/DSDTFixer/DSDTFixer.app/Contents/Resources/files/dsdt.dsl 10575: Name (BUFF, Package () {})

ASL Input: - 10664 lines, 346566 bytes, 4264 keywords

AML Output: - 37914 bytes, 935 named objects, 3329 executable opcodes

Compilation complete. 0 Errors, 2 Warnings, 7 Remarks, 1520 Optimizations

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archive.zip

Hi pentothal,

Last night I finally got IDA Pro to see the AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext and AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext more clearly. All my suspects are fully approved!! They collect all informations of the running machine including property lists, platform types, monitor EDIDs, resolutions, GPU abilities...etc to set up an ideal working enviroment for themselves. My platform types is matched to dual display at the very begining, so they switch to PM mode(or something else like AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB__DisableDisplay? not quite sure, I am not familiar with reverse engineering) and stop responding...

Too many parameters to try in this kext make it very difficult to get the driver working with normal funtions remained but bad limitations gone!! I need help!! I am no smart genius, I am just a silly poor guy hoping my machine working...

BTW: The pixel format RRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGBBBBBBBB is defined within the AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext, so if we removed it only, the OPTIMUS mechanism won't work and the screen may keep its output, but the normal pixel format RGB exists no more thus the dot will turn into lines! That's why we can see the scrambled screen without the existence of AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext...

And this means: with good modifications, we DEFINITELY may use the driver to get QE/CI on Intel HD GPUs!!