Intel HD Graphics / GMA 5700

sockerkid

1,324 posts in this topic

I'm wrong, or who has Revision ID: 0x0002 has correct resolution?

Is there anyone with Revision ID: 0x0012 and the correct resolution?

A few pages behind I showed you guys that my hackintosh displays custom resolution using an external monitor in OS X Snow Leopard. It still works in OS X Lion.

post-620531-1310691366_thumb.png

As you can see, the Revision ID is 0x0012.

So why is it that the external monitor can have custom resolutions? Is it because the EDID is read correctly, or is it hardware related? :)

I have rev id 12 intelHD and GeForce 330m (optimus).

I did NOT modify any kexts, just added manors' EFI string. I now have a video memory of 786mb, and _no_ message telling me that there is no kext loaded!

My native resolution on Windows is 1600x900x32, but my OSX Lion only gives me 1280x800x32.

If I specify in com.apple.Boot.plist a resolution of 1024x768, that will work, but anything other than those will distort the screen.

My chameleon bootloader even shows that 1440x900 is supported, but unfortunately that screen is very messed up. So I stick to 1280x800.

I have both HDMI and DisplayPort adapters in my laptop, but when testing the hdmi output, I do not get any other resolution modes available. Im gonna get myself a displayport-hdmi or displayport-vga adapter, and test that.

Today I will try modifying my EDID, I found a tool on Windows that will extract it (ELDIM EDIDviewer)

the manor method does not work completely,emulating the nvidia kexts to work as IntelHDGraphics I think that only cosmetic,works with any framebuffer,but i try,my results:

facetime-working :D

snapshot-Alt+shift+4 and Alt+shift+3-working :D

nom-transparent menu bar :(

nom-open GL :(

resolution-1024x768x32-stuk :(

the revision of the hardware also does not seem to have anything with it, I review 0x0002 and 0x00012 with the same problems.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/how-to-buy/

Step 1:

Make sure your Mac can run Lion.

Your Mac must have an Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor to run Lion. Find out if your current Mac has one of these processors by clicking the Apple icon at the top left of your screen, then choosing About This Mac.

Lion suport all processors envolved with it

see it ;)

http://www.apple.com/macosx/how-to-buy/

Step 1:

Make sure your Mac can run Lion.

Your Mac must have an Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor to run Lion. Find out if your current Mac has one of these processors by clicking the Apple icon at the top left of your screen, then choosing About This Mac.

Lion suport all processors envolved with it

see it :(

Um you do know there are problems using Intel HD Graphics in OS X Lion right? The processor obviously runs fine but not the graphics. :(

Anyone here has any experience on how to edit kexts? I don't mean the info.plist but the actual binary file which controls the kext?

AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB Kext

post-620531-1310765850_thumb.png

Yes I know it looks scary but I do see interesting info. How does Apple make these? :thanks_speechbubble:

hi guys, i just registered here cause i bought a new laptop with this graphics card but i cant get it to work, from what im reading GhostRaider seems to be a quite knowledgeable person so yeah, do i need to get the framebuffer working to get full hardware acceleration?

thanks everyone!

Anyone here has any experience on how to edit kexts? I don't mean the info.plist but the actual binary file which controls the kext?

AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB Kext

post-620531-1310765850_thumb.png

Yes I know it looks scary but I do see interesting info. How does Apple make these? ;)

you have to try with IDA pro dissasembler in windows..it can dissasembler the macosx binary

then you will get a partial assembler list with all conditions and instructions displayed also in a graphic view

I've tried to change some jump if equal zero in jump if not zero end viceversa...then when you get the hex sequences you open an hex editor and change the values from that...and try to load the changed kext...so far I get...nothing..no luck...but it's a huge work.....I gave up...

w/

IntelHDGraphics + GLBundle

=> 1024x768 w/ transparent menu bar the same

w/

IntelHDGraphics + GLBundle +GAPlugin + VADriver

=> messed up screen, only mouse pointer is OK. the same

w/

IntelHDGraphicsFB

=> Never see the desktop, it stop in verbose mode...if you add the correct efi string you will get a nice black screen instead...vnc working fine with all accelerations

by the way I have alos tried with lion kext form DP3...stil the same also with manor method

so revision 0x002 still, 1024x768....I can confirm

I think we have to find a switch in gfx string using ITS INTEL KEXTs (ie AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext) that will recognize the Laptop lcd as Apple Panel lcd...I've tried a lot of configurations..but always black screen

As only with intel framebuffer everything it's working as design even if only in vnc due to laptop blackscreen

Hey Morkb, what EFI String did you use so that the AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB kext loads? If I install the framebuffer it just freezes. I never get a "black screen".

Thanks.

Hey Morkb, what EFI String did you use so that the AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB kext loads? If I install the framebuffer it just freezes. I never get a "black screen".

Thanks.

I' ve just messed up everithing i had to come back to a time machine backup..let me set up again

And i will let you know...i want to make sure that the discrete ati card is not needed in gfx device string

To have the black screen as the gfx string i use it' s very simple..i will take also some shoot to show my configuration with vnc

In windows

Guest fgtmoron

well, obviously no one here has made progress since this thread started. this thread is now 51 pages long and all we have achieved is a bunch of really smart people talking and complaining that it doesn't work as expected. I realize that i am no genius but might i ask you people who claim to have made progress to at least post proofs of the progress such as screenshots, modified files along with a description of what has been modified and things like this. refusing to share your progress wont help anyone here.

replying to bootloaderguy, yes from my knowledge you need the framebuffer working and thats what people are trying to do here.

GhostRaider and morkb, thank you for all your contribution to this thread, it holds a lot of value in itself :blink:

thanks everyone :3

I' ve just messed up everithing i had to come back to a time machine backup..let me set up again

And i will let you know...i want to make sure that the discrete ati card is not needed in gfx device string

To have the black screen as the gfx string i use it' s very simple..i will take also some shoot to show my configuration with vnc

In windows

@Morkb

I created a GFX device string using OSX86 Tools. No need for you to post your string. :) Anyways, well I'm happy to report that I'm able to see my OS X Lion DP4 desktop using VNC and I can see that AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB Kext is up and running.

...but there are some things that I've noticed in OS X Lion DP4 when looking at it through VNC. ;)

I will explain my findings tomorrow, and I'll post up some pictures.

========================================================================

And there's also one little thing I would like to mention.

Many of you are able to get a "black screen" when you install the AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB Kext, but my hackintosh works a bit differently. Instead of getting a "black screen", I just see the Apple Boot Screen spinning forever in my laptop display but I can see my desktop through VNC. Wierd stuff lol :rolleyes:

@Morkb

I created a GFX device string using OSX86 Tools. No need for you to post your string. :) Anyways, well I'm happy to report that I'm able to see my OS X Lion DP4 desktop using VNC and I can see that AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB Kext is up and running.

...but there are some things that I've noticed in OS X Lion DP4 when looking at it through VNC. :huh:

I will explain my findings tomorrow, and I'll post up some pictures.

========================================================================

And there's also one little thing I would like to mention.

Many of you are able to get a "black screen" when you install the AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB Kext, but my hackintosh works a bit differently. Instead of getting a "black screen", I just see the Apple Boot Screen spinning forever in my laptop display but I can see my desktop through VNC. Wierd stuff lol :P

Hi GhostRaider,

in my notebook I have the same behaviour...if i don't put the right gfx string and the right boot (try chimera the latest) I will get just the dos page stucked at dsmos arrived ...device in slot 1...then through vnc I can see the osx desktop...but in this case if you go in preferences under monitor you won't be able to change resolution and even in hardware profiles...you will see no monitor and connector at all

but if you get the black screen...in vnc you will se that there is a monitor attached to mac osx and I was also able to change the edid value through the override method and you will be able to change the monitor resolution

to get the black screen you need the gfx string and the boot loader like chimera or the latest chameleon...yesterday I set up everything back from time machine and I didn't get the black screen then I remember that it's not only the gfx string but also the boot file that make it happens...and I don't know why...with some boot i just get the dos/unix page with no monitor attached in vnc

I've just notice that..hope I explained what I mean

by the way if you just see the spinning wheel that means that you didn't set the -v switch in boot flag.

I have rev 0x0002 and have full resolution

with chameleon (graphics mode 1600x900x32)

in Snow Leopard and Lion DP4

I can change the "revisions id" by efistring, but no difference the result is always the same

I have a QM 5700 chipset

sorry

Okay guys well here are some screenshots for those who can't do this. I'm running OS X Lion DP4 on my hackintosh. These screenshots are from Screensharing, since its the only way to see the desktop when having the AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB Kext loaded for now.

post-620531-1311096735_thumb.jpg

To start off, the left display is actually my desktop computer. I'm seeing my hackintosh using screensharing and using a VNC client on my desktop. The right display is my laptop. As you can see, I don't get a "black screen" but instead I see the Apple Boot Screen with the wheel spinning forever.

These next screenshots are from Screensharing. You can see theres a binoculars icon in the menubar. This means screensharing is active.

post-620531-1311097159_thumb.png

This is the About This Mac and the System Profiler windows. Nothing special to see.

post-620531-1311097243_thumb.png

This is the Extensions option in System Profiler. As you can see, AppleIntelHDGraphics Kext and AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB Kext are both loaded.

post-620531-1311097282_thumb.png

This is the S/L/E folder. All of the Intel HD Graphics kexts are installed.

post-620531-1311097421_thumb.png

This is where the problems start. There are resolutions available but it seems that OS X Lion DP4 can't detect a display when AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB Kext is loaded. However the only way to load AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB Kext was by using a GFX string. Interesting. :)

post-620531-1311097659_thumb.png

This may be a disappointment, but it seems that even with all the Intel HD Graphics kexts installed and loaded, QE cannot be achieved in OS X Lion DP4. It works on Snow Leopard but not in Lion for some odd reason. Please note that this can change in the final version of OS X Lion when it comes out but as of now it doesn't work.

=============================================================

Anyways do you guys think that creating our own GFX string specifically designed for Intel HD Graphics (Arrandale) will work? Having a GFX string somehow makes the Intel HD Graphics Frame Buffer load correctly.

Also when looking at the NVidia GFX strings, they all have keys that directs which display to use.

so, all this is just a piece of {censored}.

look nice I thing you are in border.One day u jump GRaider

Are you using any efi string..

This may be a disappointment, but it seems that even with all the Intel HD Graphics kexts installed and loaded, QE cannot be achieved in OS X Lion DP4. It works on Snow Leopard but not in Lion for some odd reason. Please note that this can change in the final version of OS X Lion when it comes out but as of now it doesn't work.

Hi Ghost,

I just want to be sure that I understand correctly what you're saying:

-> you tested the same setting in Snow Leopard with GFX string, loaded AppleIntelHD* kexts and you get QE/CI and custom resolution when connected via VNC

-> you tested the same setting in Lion with GFX string, loaded AppleIntelHD* kexts and you don't get QE when connected via VNC

Is this right?

I also noticed few posts back that you mentioned External monitor - in which setting that worked? With or without GFX string and kexts loaded? Lion or Snow Leopard? VGA/HDMI/DVI?

I am just trying to sum your current results so I wouldn't reinvent the wheel.... :-)

BR,

Oki

P.S. Can you post your GFX string?

P.S.S. Which chipset you have on your laptop?

hi guys..here also my screen shoots from snow lion 10.6.7 through vnc when i get the black screen

Attached you will find the files needed to get it

i used chimera v1.4.1 r 877

a gfx string in com.apple.boot.plist

then i used update 1.4 intel drivers...don't ask me where i found them as i don't remember but i think someone will get the same result also with mbp 2011 update, 10.6.8 update and lion kext...i don't have much time now to try

by the way i use graphicsenabler yes in com.apple.boot.plist and it recognize my discrete ati card at boot..but if i remember well even with graphicsenabler no you will get the same...question here is just to understand if chimera boot recognize my ati card and it will set the display in black mode...don't know in gfx string I removed ati device...so theorically should work also with intel arrandale on board only

and the intel kexts

i upload on megaupload they are too big

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JP46NIIG

picture_macosx.zip

boot_chimera_v1.4.1_r_877.zip

extra.zip

Hi Ghost,

I just want to be sure that I understand correctly what you're saying:

-> you tested the same setting in Snow Leopard with GFX string, loaded AppleIntelHD* kexts and you get QE/CI and custom resolution when connected via VNC

-> you tested the same setting in Lion with GFX string, loaded AppleIntelHD* kexts and you don't get QE when connected via VNC

Is this right?

I also noticed few posts back that you mentioned External monitor - in which setting that worked? With or without GFX string and kexts loaded? Lion or Snow Leopard? VGA/HDMI/DVI?

I am just trying to sum your current results so I wouldn't reinvent the wheel.... :-)

BR,

Oki

P.S. Can you post your GFX string?

P.S.S. Which chipset you have on your laptop?

In OS X Snow Leopard, if you use a GFX string and have all of the Intel HD Graphics kexts installed (I'm refering to the Snow Leopard Intel HD kexts), Quartz Extreme and Core Image works. Yes, you will need to use Screensharing to see the desktop. Yes, there are more resolutions too.

In OS X Lion DP4, if you use a GFX string and have all of the Intel HD Graphics kexts installed (I'm refering to the OS X Lion Intel HD kexts), Core Image will be the only thing that works, no Quartz Extreme. Yes, you will need to use Screensharing to see the desktop. Yes there are more resolutions too.

I haven't tried using Snow Leopard Intel HD Graphics kexts on OS X Lion, but I don't think they'll work correctly. Someone wanna upload 10.6.8 Intel HD Graphics kexts?

About the external monitor, you will need a VGA port and a VGA compatible monitor. The monitor however will make your laptop screen unusable.

Turn off your laptop. Connect your external monitor and you should see your display in the External Monitor. From there once you boot into OS X, edit your com.boot.plist and add your external monitor's native resolution. Once you restart, Chameleon Boot Loader will display the correct resolution, as well as OS X.

No GFX string or kexts required for this one.

Laptop Specs:

Intel HD Graphics (Arrandale)

Mobile Intel HM55 Express Chipset

Device ID: 0x0046

Revision ID: 0x0012

And for your GFX string, use Morkb GFX string. He seems to get a "black screen". I will test his GFX later on.