[Guide] HP DV8, DV7, DV6, & DV5, 10.6.4 Easy, Comprehensive Installation

Mammoth

v2.00 Installation, Update, and Mammoth Installation media  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Is v2.00 something you are interested in and would use?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Which are you most interested in?

• v2.00 Installation Guides
    • v2.00 Post-installation Update Guide

1,266 posts in this topic

got the brightness to work with the slider and hot key.

see my sig for my system.

am i the first one?

Hey Kellis,

Really? If so, then yes, you would be the first that I know of!

So... how do we do it?

-_-

I am working on the new installation method and boot CD right now.

I am working on the new installation method and boot CD right now.

Great work mammoth

what do you think about appling Edward de Bono Six Thinking Hats :D:D:D

like Making a Working list (yellow hat), Not working list (Black hat) and put it on your first post

That will make us all more focus on the same goals :)

for example i will begin with the "Black Hat" :

1) Vanilla Kernel (tha't the hardest one :( )

2) Working wireless card (There is a new hope as Broadcom released a new open source OneDriver architecture for all it's cards including our card :Dhere )

3) HDMI AUDIO (i think it needs a DSDT fix)

4) Real vanilla brightness control (Working on it)

5) Full battery support (you said it will be available with the new CD :DGREAT)

6) CPU & GPU Temperature and fan speed (you said it will be available with the new CD THAT's REALLY GREAT)

7) Stable and working card reader Kext (don't know any inf about it)

and so on

again thanks Mammoth for your time and work :D:D

Hey guys.

I just spent the last 5h on making a auto DSDT patcher for our DV6 (and possibly DV7 and DV8 aswell).

It's got i7 speed stepping integrated, so if you don't have i7, just take that part out.

First you need to download the DSDT Auto Patcher

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...howtopic=235523

Then unpack the DV6.zip folder to DSDT Auto Patcher/packs.

WoW

Great Job :(

Thanks for that :D

Let me know of any bugs/ideas you might notice, either in the DSDT-Patch or backlight.

EDIT:

Okay, I've checked. The sleep is still broken in the latest auto-patch, just like Mammoth described, except I don't get any sound poping problems, it just won't sleep, keeps turning the hard disk off and on. It's sleeping for a moment and then waking up.

hey NIXin

Great work :wacko:

I hope to add HDMI audio support to the dsdt

also i want to know why you made a dv6 DSDT and a dv8 one

i thought they got exactly the same specs except the monitor size !!!???

with my DSDT i got my sleep working

and by working i mean

1) it sleep and wake by closing and opening the led

2) it sleep by using (Fn+F5)

3) it sleep when choosing sleep from the apple menu

4) it don't sleep automatically by the energy saving settings time

i attached it, if it will help

Thanks

Amer_dsdt.zip

Hey i have dv6-1216sa would this work on my laptop i.e. does it have the right specs to run it

Regards Nev

No, sorry. You have an AMD CPU. Intel CPU's are the easiest for building Hackintosh systems.

Great work mammoth

what do you think about appling Edward de Bono Six Thinking Hats :D:D:D

like Making a Working list (yellow hat), Not working list (Black hat) and put it on your first post

That will make us all more focus on the same goals :)

for example i will begin with the "Black Hat" :

1) Vanilla Kernel (tha't the hardest one :graduated: )

2) Working wireless card (There is a new hope as Broadcom released a new open source OneDriver architecture for all it's cards including our card :wacko:here )

3) HDMI AUDIO (i think it needs a DSDT fix)

4) Real vanilla brightness control (Working on it)

5) Full battery support (you said it will be available with the new CD :DGREAT)

6) CPU & GPU Temperature and fan speed (you said it will be available with the new CD THAT's REALLY GREAT)

7) Stable and working card reader Kext (don't know any inf about it)

and so on

again thanks Mammoth for your time and work :D:D

Hi Yehia Amer!

The hat system sounds good, I will try to implement that as it's a good idea and I think would be very helpful to us.

Yes, I and others, are working on various aspect from your list above. All the ones we are successful with, will be in the new process, so let's hope we can do most if not all of them. :)

WoW

Great Job :D

Thanks for that ;)

Thanks for stopping by are little thread her MaLd0n! Your auto patcher is AWESOME! Thanks so much for it.

:)

hey NIXin

Great work :D

I hope to add HDMI audio support to the dsdt

also i want to know why you made a dv6 DSDT and a dv8 one

i thought they got exactly the same specs except the monitor size !!!???

Hey. They are not exactly the same (small differences), but still, you are right that all the DSDT fixes are the same.

The only difference in the patches, is the method for fixing the DSDT to compile. Since I'm using an ugly hack, I have to edit a foreign method to delete one bracket - that method is different on DV6 and on DV8, that's why initially Mammoth had compilation error

with my DSDT i got my sleep working

and by working i mean

1) it sleep and wake by closing and opening the led

2) it sleep by using (Fn+F5)

3) it sleep when choosing sleep from the apple menu

4) it don't sleep automatically by the energy saving settings time

i attached it, if it will help

Thanks a lot. I was already using your DSDT before, great work! :(

Anyway, I have fixed the sleep issue with my patches. Should be nearly perfect now.

Here's the 0.9 version.

Again, please use on RAW DSDT.

Thanks guys for your support!

got the brightness to work with the slider and hot key.

see my sig for my system.

am i the first one?

Kellis, do you have the native, vanilla slider or just using the brightness slider app it with the method I presented?

If so, would you mind sharing with us how you achieved the native backlight control?

HP_0.9.rar

Mammoth!:

i have a laptop :

hp pavilion dv7 3145ef

bios version : f.1D

i burned Mammoth DVx Boot CD - v1.15

i have made the bios configuration

i booted with Mammoth DVx Boot CD - v1.15 an then i removed the cd and inserted DVD:MAC.OS.X.10.6.3.RETAIL.ISO

when i press "enter" this text shows or ( image atachment )and then it restarts

nvidia unknown 1024mb nva5 ...

no smbios replacement found.

patched dmi table.

no dsdt replacement found.leaving acpi data..

What problem’?

Please help me. Thank you

post-705115-1292857678_thumb.jpg

Hey. They are not exactly the same (small differences), but still, you are right that all the DSDT fixes are the same.

The only difference in the patches, is the method for fixing the DSDT to compile. Since I'm using an ugly hack, I have to edit a foreign method to delete one bracket - that method is different on DV6 and on DV8, that's why initially Mammoth had compilation error

Thanks a lot. I was already using your DSDT before, great work! :)

Anyway, I have fixed the sleep issue with my patches. Should be nearly perfect now.

Here's the 0.9 version.

Again, please use on RAW DSDT.

Thanks guys for your support!

hey NIXin

tried your DSDT V0.9, it works very good :) in terms of stability but after some testing i found the following:

1) the webcam is not working properly specially when moving the display up & down and sometime don't work at all

"kernel[0]: USBF: 47. 77 IOUSBCompositeDriver[0xffffff800adec900](HP Webcam) GetFullConfigDescriptor(0) returned NULL"

2) the sleep is working good but no automatic sleep

3) NO HDMI AUDIO

4) audio tested works good

5) Graphics works good

I will keep you updated if i found something else :D :D

thanks

hey NIXin

tried your DSDT V0.9, it works very good :blink: in terms of stability but after some testing i found the following:

1) the webcam is not working properly specially when moving the display up & down and sometime don't work at all

"kernel[0]: USBF: 47. 77 IOUSBCompositeDriver[0xffffff800adec900](HP Webcam) GetFullConfigDescriptor(0) returned NULL"

3) NO HDMI AUDIO

4) audio tested works good

5) Graphics works good

I will keep you updated if i found something else :D :D

thanks

Hey yehia,

AD1 - I have not changed anything to do with the webcam, so there shouldn't be any difference in the webcam in your DSDT and in mine. The webcam is working on my end without any problems, very responsive.

AD2 - Did you solve automatic sleep on your DSDT?

AD3 - Yes, I don't have the patch for that, but I believe we would have to switch back to VoodooHDA from what I've read so far.

AD4, AD5 - very nice :)

Did you try the backlight control?

The automatic sleep is a Mac OS X issue, not really anything we can do about it.

TSSTCorp DVD drive is causing this problem.

Apparently, putting a CD inside will enable the sleep to work properly.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?t...5&tstart=15

Fix is here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=182535

---------------------------

EDIT:

Behold! The 1.0 beta version of my DSDT patcher for DV6 and DV8 (possibly also DV7):

Significant changes:

- Native backlight working

- HDMI audio working (needs testing, who has a HDMI cable and TV to try?)

- Native power management for the graphics card (should lower the temperatures)

You need to put this .kext to /E/E in order for the backlight slider to work. Thanks to ivik for making this possible and helping me debug the problem.

To change the brightness by keyboard use: Fn+Insert and Fn+Page Up. This can be fixed by installing a modified version of VoodooPS2. If you feel like testing, go here and test the VoodooPS2 from Archive2.zip (but don't use that GenericBrightness.kext, because it's outdated and probably won't even work or will KP).

If you notice any bugs, let me know, I'll try to do my best to fix them.

PATCH HP DVx with Core i7

by NIXin (bart8472@gmail.com)

WARNING: ONLY APPLY THIS PATCH TO UNTOUCHED DSDT FILE

FOR EXAMPLE DSDT EXTRACTED UNDER WINDOWS OR LINUX

Version 1.0 BETA

Compile fixes:

- IF/ELSE IGDS

- Package sizes

- Memory block sizes

- Replacing Buffers with Packages

- Adding Returns to methods that didn't have them

DSDT Fixes:

- DTGP

- LID

- Vanilla AC (_PRW)

- OS Definition (0x07D6)

- GeForce GT 230M injection (LCD+VGA)

- LPC (Low Pin Count) Intel Device injection (cooler temperatures and Turbo mode)

- IRQ correction, HPET, TIMR, RTC

- HPET return 0x0F

- CMOS reset fix

- Native USB with _DSM, purging _PSM

- EHCI injection

- USB rename to UHC

- HDEF injection

- Realtek injection (cosmetic)

- Core i7 speed stepping

- SSDT

- SMBUS ICH10 controller injection

- Firewire power saving (L1A GPE)

- Firewire port injection

- Shutdown fix (_PTS method)

- Backlight vanilla slider enable (with native GenericBrightness.kext)

- HDMI audio fix

- Rename P0P2 to GFX1

- Add names for the JMicron card readers

HP_1.0_BETA.rar

Behold! The 1.0 beta version of my DSDT patcher for DV6 and DV8 (possibly also DV7):

NIXin!!!

You are a STAR man! :)

I love what you are doing and how you are doing it! Awesome that you are providing a list of all the DSDT edits / patches!!!

I have been working on our DVx all day, and have been waiting to post a bunch of information that may be OMG worthy, but am still testing and verifying before I do so. Hang tight for results!

But what you're doing is also OMG in my opinion. I want to test right now, but won't be able to until I finish my current testing.

One thing I wanted to say (and will repeat myself with my pending "official" post) is that we all need to collaborate on making sure we have the best DSDT we can. Currently, you are handling like 99% of that load! Thank you!!!

With the next release of the guides and Boot CD, I want to make sure that everyone who is really skilled in DSDT editing is able to provide their working DSDT edits so that the official one is already verified by everyone, we all know it works, and everything that can be fixed / addressed to date is in it. More than any other previous release, I want this one to be very collaboratively driven by all of us so we will finally have the best possible.

WELL DONE TO EVERYONE WHO IS, OR HAS, CONTRIBUTED TO CREATING OUR DSDT!!! THANK YOU! :)

I very well may have some Earth shattering revelations regarding our machines, DSDT, SMBIOS, and our entire configuration, but I am trying to verify / prove my theories before saying anything.

I am very excited for where we are all heading with this. I am very eager to cross the finish line with all of you. What a great group of people we have here!

More info.... soon.

- HDMI audio working (needs testing, who has a HDMI cable and TV to try?)

Oh yeah, I have an HDMI flat screen I will be able to test on once I get to that point. So I will let everyone know unless someone beats me to it. :)

Mammoth:

please help me

Hello Haber,

Is you machine running the latest HP BIOS?

Your machine is an i5, mine is an i7. There has been at least one post somewhere in this tread (if I remember correctly) that someone with an i5 machine was not able to use the Mammoth Boot CD and instead was able to use an [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] CD (found at http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/).

I never confirmed this, so I don't know if it's true. I know many with i5's HAVE been able to use the Mammoth Boot CDs, so...

Have you made sure your BIOS settings are EXACTLY as I listed in Installation Guide 1?

Next, if you follow things EXACTLY as I detail in the guides, you "should" be successful. The only time others have not been successful after following my instructions to the T has been if their machines were not compatible, there was a problem (such as with a burned disc), or some other anomaly.

Try all of that and let me know how it goes.

NIXin

i wish i can see you now to give you a big big hug, Awesome :) :) :D :D

HDMI Audio is Working great WOoooooOooow

webcam is working now

i will complete my testing and report as soon as possible

YOU ARE GREAT MAN :D

hmm this is weird

i thought you guys would be all over this, but no one seems to give a {censored},

DV7, brightness working (NOT SHADE or other {censored} like this), with the slider in the control panel.

yes, again. i got this working..

hmm this is weird

i thought you guys would be all over this, but no one seems to give a {censored},

DV7, brightness working (NOT SHADE or other {censored} like this), with the slider in the control panel.

Hi Kellis,

We responded to you right after your initial post, I did and then someone else a bit later.

We DO care, and usually when someone figures out how to do something, they post how to do it. So if you would, I know I for sure would be happy to test it.

Anyone who contributes something that works and makes it into the next release will be applauded and their name all over the docs! ;)

So, how do we do it?

NOTE FULLY EDITED CORRECTED BELOW.

The DSDT was NOT being loaded (due to my test environment), so that's why it wasn't working. NIXin's AWESOME v1.0 beta DSDT DOES work, and well! ;) (Sorry NIXin for my boneheaded mistake in testing and posting irrelevant test results.) :help:

Hey NIXin,

Thanks for all the help yesterday and it was really great chattin' with you.

- It compiled the first time; sweet!

- Once everything started working, the first nice thing I noticed was a very clean, almost perfect boot and startup with no errors! Very refreshing, only a few assertion errors, but we'll work on those.

- Brightness control works! But we are going to look to implement Kellis' native fix!!

- Lid sleep works. However, the screen saver was running and I closed lid and it did not sleep.

- Audio and LAN working!

- OK, now for the big bad one... video performance was terrible!!! To test, download a 1080p movie trailer from:

http://trailers.apple.com/

Just copy it to the desktop and then try to play it. For me, it was unplayable.

I tried many DSDTs, even the one from v1.15 Mammoth Boot CD, still bad... but then I tried the SMBIOS.plist from Mammoth v1.15 Boot CD... PERFECT video playback... so again more testing.

This has nothing to do with NIXin's DSDT. This is a well known issue across many Hackintosh's and has to do with only MacPro3,1 allowing QuickTime to play files properly. This has to be looked in to.

So great, incredible work NIXin!

Oh yeah, with your DSDT now I get Geekbench v2.1.7 score of like 6609, which is totally awesome!

Things still needed to work on:

- No battery ICON (I'm using AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext in /C/E/E/)

- No card reader (never had one before either) I don't think this is DSDT fixable but requires a kext

- How can we listen to, hear, HDMI audio?

Anything I previously mentioned as not working before and not listed above means it IS working.

There are other configuration issues outside of DSDT edits we need to resolve, if possible, before we will be ready to start finalizing a Boot CD and creation of the guides, so stand by.

This is a team effort, I couldn't do this stuff without all of you, so any input, help, suggestions that you could provide, please do.

hmm this is weird

Kellis, don't know if you noticed, but I got it to work as well. Did you use GenericBrightness.kext?

Also, try my DSDT patcher, don't know if the DV6 or DV8 version cause I didn't have a DV7 DSDT to try - one of them should not give you any syntax errors when compiling.

pleas help me

Is you machine running the latest HP BIOS?

You update the BIOS to the latest version

Have you made sure your BIOS settings are EXACTLY as I listed in Installation Guide 1?

yes

System Configuration

>Virtualization Technology=<Enabled>

> LAN Power Saving = <Disabled>

> Card Reader / 1394 Power Saving = <Disabled>

> Fan Always On = <Disabled>

Boot Options

> CD-­‐ROM Boot = <Enabled>

> Floppy Boot = <Disabled>

> Internal Network Adapter Boot = <Disabled>

Boot Order

Internal CD/DVD ROM Drive

Notebook Hard Disk Drive

USB Diskette on key/USB Hard Disk

USB CD/DVD ROM Drive !

USB Floppy ! Network Adapter

I am burning Mac.OS.X.10.6.3.Retail.dmg in DVD 8gb ( power iso speed 4x)

im bouting LegacyBootCD.iso boot

after remove boot

I've Insert Mac.OS.ox.DVD

im esase my haredisk for disk utilyti after im clik install botton but When you are finished I get the following message

image attechment

post-705115-1292944750_thumb.jpg

Hi Kellis,

We responded to you right after your initial post, I did and then someone else a bit later.

We DO care, and usually when someone figures out how to do something, they post how to do it. So if you would, I know I for sure would be happy to test it.

Anyone who contributes something that works and makes it into the next release will be applauded and their name all over the docs! :rolleyes:

So, how do we do it?

hmm weird, i just searched again this thread, didn't see any solutions for DSDT or replies.

anyway, doesn't matter.

here's how i got it to work.

1) your DSDT must be modified.

I have a nVidia GeForce GT 230M in this DV7.

my PNLF contains:

Device (PNLF)

{

Name (_HID, EisaId ("APP0002"))

Name (_CID, "backlight")

Name (_UID, 0x0A)

Name (_STA, 0x0B)

it also has in the PNLF, _BCL, BCLP, BCLL, _BCM, _BQC.

Then in my GFX0 device , i added in the _DSM,

"@0,backlight-control",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00

},

and:

"@0,pwm-info",

Buffer (0x14)

{

/* 0000 */ 0x01, 0x14, 0x00, 0x64, 0xA8, 0x61, 0x00, 0x00,

/* 0008 */ 0x08, 0x52, 0x00, 0x00, 0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00,

/* 0010 */ 0x00, 0x04, 0x00, 0x00

},

and

"@0,use-backlight-blanking",

Buffer (Zero) {},

"@1,can-hot-plug",

Buffer (Zero) {},

by then you should have the slider in control panel moving and staying in position, with ioreg you should see the values moving.

Then in the Device (LCD) make sure you add:

Name (_HID, EisaId ("LCD1234"))

I had to add it twice, as i have 2 Device LCD entries.

2) your laptop should reboot fine with the new DSDT, then simply add the GenericBrightness.kexts found in this forum.

i put mine in /System/Library/Extensions

chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions/GenericBrightness.kext

rm -r /System/Library/Caches/*

reboot the machine, it should then work.

The slider from system preferences will work.

The FN keys are:

FN Insert for Sun Down.

FN pg-up for Sun Up.

everything is working now on this laptop, except the battery uses Voodoo Battery, which works but is unstable.

And the Audio doesn't do auto-switching, with the jacksense thing. I have to switch from headphones to speakers.

In 32 bit mode, i get a geekbench of around 5400.

network/timemachine/ trackpad, blutooth, USB, bluray drive, internal mic(though not very well), video cam, HDMI video etc all work.

hope this helps someone.

Kellis, don't know if you noticed, but I got it to work as well. Did you use GenericBrightness.kext?

Also, try my DSDT patcher, don't know if the DV6 or DV8 version cause I didn't have a DV7 DSDT to try - one of them should not give you any syntax errors when compiling.

hello,

i saw that you got it to work, but only saw the post with the "more info coming soon" or something like that :unsure:

anyway, do you have the c-states, p-states working on your dsdt?

that's 1 thing i am missing for this laptop to be perfect.

oh, and good battery support! this voodoo battery is too unstable!