[Guide] HP DV8, DV7, DV6, & DV5, 10.6.4 Easy, Comprehensive Installation

Mammoth

v2.00 Installation, Update, and Mammoth Installation media  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Is v2.00 something you are interested in and would use?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Which are you most interested in?

• v2.00 Installation Guides
    • v2.00 Post-installation Update Guide

1,266 posts in this topic

Mammoth:

help me please

esase =erase

Sometimes people get that fail message. Just continue as if it said "SUCCESS" and see how far you get.

I know that sounds stupid, but believe me, try it. It still might not work, but try it first, ok?

Sometimes people get that fail message. Just continue as if it said "SUCCESS" and see how far you get.

I know that sounds stupid, but believe me, try it. It still might not work, but try it first, ok?

thinks you

but

that's what i did and i clicked restart, but during the restart it gives me this message:

no bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

thinks you

but

that's what i did and i clicked restart, but during the restart it gives me this message:

no bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

OK, are you following the Installation Guide v1.10 exactly?

Also, I don't know about "LegacyBootCD.iso", so maybe that's causing problems. The v1.10 or v1.15 Mammoth CD SHOULD work.

Has anybody else with an i5 used v1.10 or v1.15 Mammoth Boot CD for a successful install?

hmm weird, i just searched again this thread, didn't see any solutions for DSDT or replies.

anyway, doesn't matter.

Hi Kellis,

If you tried to use the search engine of InsanelyMac, that would explain why you didn't find anything. It doesn't work, or at least hasn't for a very long time. :)

Just so you know, here are the links:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...653&st=680#

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1605546

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...653&st=720#

Rest assured, the Brightness control has been requested by many for a long time, so it is much wanted and needed.

I haven't been able to try it yet, but am very eager to.

THANK YOU, for sharing your work and I'll be posting about it once I get it working!

Everything is working now on this laptop, except the battery uses Voodoo Battery, which works but is unstable.

And the Audio doesn't do auto-switching, with the jacksense thing. I have to switch from headphones to speakers.

In 32 bit mode, i get a geekbench of around 5400.

network/timemachine/ trackpad, blutooth, USB, bluray drive, internal mic(though not very well), video cam, HDMI video etc all work.

hope this helps someone.

hello NIXin,

i saw that you got it to work, but only saw the post with the "more info coming soon" or something like that :hysterical:

anyway, do you have the c-states, p-states working on your dsdt?

that's 1 thing i am missing for this laptop to be perfect.

oh, and good battery support! this voodoo battery is too unstable!

Looks like you and NIXin found they same fix for Brightness. :hysterical: Thanks for also posting the code and how-to use it.

There is a better Battery kext that I am using and should be listed a few posts back.

Yes, we need to work on the headphone insertion issue, unless it may be fixed in NIXin's DSDT; I haven't tested that yet.

You can get C and P states working using the new 2.0-RC5 Chameleon boot loader.

Ok, back to work on all of this for me.

Mammoth!:

Mammoth!:

i have a laptop :

hp pavilion dv7 3145ef

bios version : f.1D

i burned Mammoth DVx Boot CD - v1.15

i have made the bios configuration

i booted with Mammoth DVx Boot CD - v1.15 an then i removed the cd and inserted DVD:MAC.OS.X.10.6.3.RETAIL.ISO

when i press "enter" this text shows or ( image atachment )and then it restarts

nvidia unknown 1024mb nva5 ...

no smbios replacement found.

patched dmi table.

no dsdt replacement found.leaving acpi data..

What problem’?

Please help me. Thank you

This is the answer. I was not successful cd Boot CD - v1.15

But

not successful (image atachment)

Then tested

thinks you

Hi Kellis,

If you tried to use the search engine of InsanelyMac, that would explain why you didn't find anything. It doesn't work, or at least hasn't for a very long time. :blink:

Just so you know, here are the links:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...653&st=680#

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1605546

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...653&st=720#

Rest assured, the Brightness control has been requested by many for a long time, so it is much wanted and needed.

I haven't been able to try it yet, but am very eager to.

THANK YOU, for sharing your work and I'll be posting about it once I get it working!

Looks like you and NIXin found they same fix for Brightness. :( Thanks for also posting the code and how-to use it.

There is a better Battery kext that I am using and should be listed a few posts back.

Yes, we need to work on the headphone insertion issue, unless it may be fixed in NIXin's DSDT; I haven't tested that yet.

You can get C and P states working using the new 2.0-RC5 Chameleon boot loader.

Ok, back to work on all of this for me.

Hi, for some reasons, the 3 links you gave point me to the same thing, only the main article + list of posts, but no post opened.

Anyway, I have tested mutiple chameleon versions, and everytime i have to go back to the one i found the most stable. an older version. and i was made to understand, p-states wouldn't work anyway (at least the last version i had tried, something like last month maybe). maybe there has been progress, that'd be great.

Same for the battery, i had seen it, and bookmarked it for later testing, but can't find it anymore. This forum software is not very good, or is broken :D

Can someone update the main article and include the battery kext or trick? that'd be awesome, thx!

Mammoth!:

This is the answer. I was not successful cd Boot CD - v1.15

But

not successful (image atachment)

Then tested

thinks you

I installed "ideneb", and the instalation was very normal,

but when it finished installing and restered after that the

computer's restarting automatically without showing any

errors.

by the way, I erased my hadr disk totally then I made 4

partions.

information my laptop

images Attachment

So the problem is :

when I boot up, an animal green picture and the icon of

apple show, then this message "Press any key to enter

startup otpion"

appears at the bottom of the screen and above it some

paints.

I burned the second CD,iatkos 10.6.3. but the same

problem as idenb

is there any solution ? my laptop is off right now due to

the problem.

please watch this video I've just made

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Warw2C_71C8

no dsdt replacement found ....

I'm sorry you are having so much trouble getting it to work. It really seems like it should work. But here is my guess. I don't think you are following the Mammoth Installation Guides v1.10. The Mammoth Boot CDs are not magic. It is not like using a key that can open any door. It was designed to be used specifically with machines compatible with a current model HP DV8 (and yours should be), BUT... YOU MUST FOLLOW THE INSTALLATION GUIDE v1.10 EXACTLY.

Why am I emphasizing this? Because I watched your two videos and it is clear that you are not. I rechecked all your posts, including this one, your first, and unless I misunderstand, you are NOT following the guides. You talk (above) about using "CD iatkos 10.6.3". That won't work, and most importantly, the guide tells you specifically to use a RETAIL version of OS X, then that means one you actually buy from Apple, a REAL OS X 10.6.3, NOT some bastardized distribution.

Perhaps you are having trouble reading / understanding the guides. Try cutting and pasting the text into some kind of translator like Babble Fish, if that will help. But please (and this goes for everyone), if you are not going to, or not able to, follow the guides implicitly please don’t bother me with questions. I went to a lot of trouble to write the guides in a way that “even a child could do it”, which mean I spent a lot of my time to test and write the guides so that they are accurate and that they work. If you look at how many time the guides and CD have been downloaded (getting close to 1,000), I would say 99% of the people who have used it has worked for, at least for those with compatible machines and didn’t have kind of hardware / software malfunction.

@Haber: If you did do everything correct and exact and it won’t work, then for some reason your machine is not compatible, and it looks like it’s not going to work with this method. I did do some research for you and found that your machine also has “An integrated graphics card (Intel HD Graphics with 500-733 MHz)” along with the nVidia GT 320M. This is interesting because real, new model MacBook Pro’s also have both. What might be happening is that the Intel video card is coming up as the default. Look in your BIOS and find out if there is some way to disable it.

Also looks like your laptop model is only available in your country (France?) as I can’t find it on the US HP web site. This might be another reason why it’s not compatible as it may have been made differently.

OK, are you following the Installation Guide v1.10 exactly?

Also, I don't know about "LegacyBootCD.iso", so maybe that's causing problems. The v1.10 or v1.15 Mammoth CD SHOULD work.

Has anybody else with an i5 used v1.10 or v1.15 Mammoth Boot CD for a successful install?

Yes I have an HP DV7-4083cl with a i5-450m and have had a sucessful install using your guide.

I had to use the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] boot disk as this i5 processor is NOT mach_kernel compatible.

Also, I followed the guide until I got into OS X, then I used the Post installation of this guide: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=218768

After I into OS X and completed the rest of your guide, I could not get back in. Combining both My guide and Your guide I have a Sucessful install.

NEED HELP:

Now on another topic. Like i said I have followed most of your guide and used my knowledge from my other dv7 to complete the install.

I have an issue when updating to 10.6.3. at the end of the update I get this:

post-538112-1292984626_thumb.jpg

After a forced restart, booting in “-v” hangs on this:

post-538112-1292984737_thumb.jpg

My thought was AppleSMBIOS.kext (As in the first KP). Could bringing the origanal AppleSMBIOS.kext help?

Also: I am not using the New 10.6.3 Retail Disk. I am just using the 10.6.0 Retail. Should I go get the 10.6.3 Retail?

Thanks for your help.

Yes I have an HP DV7-4083cl with a i5-450m and have had a sucessful install using your guide.

I had to use the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] boot disk as this i5 processor is NOT mach_kernel compatible.

Also, I followed the guide until I got into OS X, then I used the Post installation of this guide: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=218768

After I into OS X and completed the rest of your guide, I could not get back in. Combining both My guide and Your guide I have a Sucessful install.

Awesome Zman21295!

Thanks very much for taking the time to post your progress and showing us that sometimes you have to be resourceful, as you demonstrated being able to do very well. :rolleyes:

This might be the hope Haber has been praying for.

You are almost there! You MUST use 10.6.3 as that is when i5 and i7 began to be supported. That's why in my guide I stressed only 10.6.3 (and above), but not .0, .1, or .2.

Oh, and I see you have an ATI GPU. Those can be a bit more of a challenge to get working right too, but looks like yours is working at this point.

Some good news on the "poor video" performance issue. It is for sure a bug in the new QuickTime X. Actual Mac users are having the same problem:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?m...5

This is great news for us as this means we WILL be able to configure our machines as MacBook Pro6,2 machines, which they are most closest too.

This means with NIXin's DSDT, we are ready to move forward! More DSDT edits are needed and few other bugs have cropped up such as pulling an HDMI cable out of the machine now causes a KP in our new GenericBrightness.kext.

Here is what we could use some help on: The next "big issue" I would like to resolve is the "popping" sound from the speakers whenever we are set to anything other than MacPro3,1. Also, there is delay in playing the first sound following a period of no use of the audio.

Here are my theories. The sound is caused by the audio device being "turned on and off". Perhaps this has something to do with power saving? Could this be some kind of IRQ / interrupt sharing related issue? Simply changing the SMproductname in smbios.plist to anything other than MacPro3,1 (and maybe MacPro4,1) and restarting will cause this problem.

Awesome Zman21295!

Thanks very much for taking the time to post your progress and showing us that sometimes you have to be resourceful, as you demonstrated being able to do very well. ;)

This might be the hope Haber has been praying for.

You are almost there! You MUST use 10.6.3 as that is when i5 and i7 began to be supported. That's why in my guide I stressed only 10.6.3 (and above), but not .0, .1, or .2.

Oh, and I see you have an ATI GPU. Those can be a bit more of a challenge to get working right too, but looks like yours is working at this point.

Thanks, any idea about the 10.6.3 update crash?

My ATI GPU has Native Res but no QE/CI. It is Switchable Graphics ATI/Intel.

Man I miss my old DV7. nVidia Graphics and a 100% Working Build.... I guess I just need to figure this out, again. :)

Man I miss my old DV7. nVidia Graphics and a 100% Working Build.... I guess I just need to figure this out, again. ;)

Yes, start over, from scratch using a retail 10.6.3. That is the only way that I know of. I messed around with 10.6.0 (because I bought it and had it), and it never, ever worked. I got 10.6.3, bam. done.

NEW THOUGHT:

Have you just tried to install the 10.6.5 Update (Combo) and skip 10.6.3?

Dear Mammoth,

Hi,can you please explain how to incorporate Nixin's HP_1_beta patch into the DSDT autopatcher so as to generate my own patched dsdt.aml.

A bit of detail would be welcome if its not too much of a hassle for you.

Also it would be nice if you or other members on this thread incorporate a fix for GT320M in the future dsdt's as its the more commonly found card in the newer DV series laptops.

Thanks

Mammoth:

while installing, click on

installer log--show errors only

Last 3 lines are

localhost osinstaller(135):packaekit:----begin install---

localhost osinstaller(135):packaekit:----end install---

localhost osinstaller(135):unable to set'untiled 1' as boot disk : the bless tool was unable to set the current boot disk

localhost osinstaller(135):install failed:the installer could not start up the computer from the disk ''utitled 1''.try selecting your disk using the startup disk urility.

Man I miss my old DV7. nVidia Graphics and a 100% Working Build.... I guess I just need to figure this out, again. :)

@Zman21295

Can you perhaps share how you managed to get your ATI GPU as primary adapter? Currently only my Intel GPU works. If I install the Macbook Pro 1.3 upgrade, I end up with a screen split into four smaller, garbled panes. Any help would be appreciated.

Mammoth:

Where is INSTALLATION GUIDE v1.10’?

Thanks for the clarification

HP pavilion dv7 3145ef=HP Pavilion dv7-3100

You can find all the guides on the first page of this thread and they are also on the v1.15 boot CD.

Dear Mammoth,

Hi,can you please explain how to incorporate Nixin's HP_1_beta patch into the DSDT autopatcher so as to generate my own patched dsdt.aml.

A bit of detail would be welcome if its not too much of a hassle for you.

Also it would be nice if you or other members on this thread incorporate a fix for GT320M in the future dsdt's as its the more commonly found card in the newer DV series laptops.

Thanks

Actually, not at the moment. ;)

There are many steps to being able to use it correctly, and all will be explained in the next release. Right now I need to concentrate all my efforts on the next release, which I am literally working on day and night, 14 hours a day. :P I am trying to limit the deturs and diversions.

Hang tight; it won't be much longer.

Yes, start over, from scratch using a retail 10.6.3. That is the only way that I know of. I messed around with 10.6.0 (because I bought it and had it), and it never, ever worked. I got 10.6.3, bam. done.

NEW THOUGHT:

Have you just tried to install the 10.6.5 Update (Combo) and skip 10.6.3?

No, I have no tried that, I have, however tried jumping to 10.6.4, I will download the 10.6.5 update to day and see what happens.... If not I will run to Best Buy this week and get a 10.6.3 Retail. (If it does not work I will just keep the DVD around for all of the mac's in our family, lol)

Mammoth:

Please. Tell me about the steps. Step by step. For I am weak in English

Please :)

On the Mammoth DVx Boot CD v1.15, look in the following directory: \Installation\Guides\

There are 4 guides numbered 1 - 4 with step-by-step instructions. They are written in English, as that is what I speak. I'm sorry, but I can't help you beyond that. Writing the guides IS me helping everyone, and it takes too much of my time to try and help those who won't or can't follow the guides.

The new Mammoth Boot CD may work better for your system, but it won't be ready for 2 to 3 weeks, and please don't ask for an early beta version. You may try it when I am able to release it.

Best of luck to you. I genuinely hope you will be successful.

No, I have no tried that, I have, however tried jumping to 10.6.4, I will download the 10.6.5 update to day and see what happens.... If not I will run to Best Buy this week and get a 10.6.3 Retail. (If it does not work I will just keep the DVD around for all of the mac's in our family, lol)

Also try this, it may work for you; boot the system with the following boot parameter:

cpus=1

Details: Upon first booting up, just select your OS X installation from the Chameleon boot menu but don't press enter. Instead, just start typing: cpus=1

It will appear bottom left of the screen. Once in OS X, try installing the update again.

To all guys that don't have i7 but have i5 or i3 - it is imperative that you do not use the DSDT from the Boot CDs, either by Mammoth or Amer, as they contain Speed Stepping patches for i7 - this might physically break your system.

You have to generate your own DSDT in Windows or Linux with my patcher file, taking out (or replacing) the SSDT and C-States speedstepping parts from it and you should be safe.

PS

@haber what languages do you speak?

On the Mammoth DVx Boot CD v1.15, look in the following directory: \Installation\Guides\

There are 4 guides numbered 1 - 4 with step-by-step instructions. They are written in English, as that is what I speak. I'm sorry, but I can't help you beyond that. Writing the guides IS me helping everyone, and it takes too much of my time to try and help those who won't or can't follow the guides.

The new Mammoth Boot CD may work better for your system, but it won't be ready for 2 to 3 weeks, and please don't ask for an early beta version. You may try it when I am able to release it.

Best of luck to you. I genuinely hope you will be successful.

Also try this, it may work for you; boot the system with the following boot parameter:

cpus=1

Details: Upon first booting up, just select your OS X installation from the Chameleon boot menu but don't press enter. Instead, just start typing: cpus=1

It will appear bottom left of the screen. Once in OS X, try installing the update again.

Yes I am Very aware of the cpus=1 busratio=18 Kernel Flags. Even Using a combination of these kernal flags, I still cannot get back in.

I just ordered a 10.6.3 Retail disk and I am going to drive to my local Best Buy to pick it up tonight. :)

EDIT: Just got the 10.6.3 Retail Disk, we will see how this goes!

@Zman21295

Can you perhaps share how you managed to get your ATI GPU as primary adapter? Currently only my Intel GPU works. If I install the Macbook Pro 1.3 upgrade, I end up with a screen split into four smaller, garbled panes. Any help would be appreciated.

NOTE TO EVERYONE

Most of us DO NOT have to install the MacBook Pro 1.3 update, so long as you are installing with a current version of the Retail 10.6.3 Retail Apple DVD.

I have since learned it was only needed for installations done with a very early build of 10.6.3, probably 10D573. In the current guides and installation process, we roll that build number way back to a beta build number of 10D2063a, which then allowed to install it. When we were unable to install the update in the first place, we though it was because our machines were not real Macs, and we wanted the most up to date system. Apple accidentally let a beta version of 10.6.3 out, and people installed it, and I think that's what the 1.3 update was all about. So now knowing all of this, no one has to or needs to install it, unless you are using a very early DVD, but then I think when you try to install it, it WOULD then install. So we can all skip trying to install it.

Build info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_Snow_Leopard

To all guys that don't have i7 but have i5 or i3 - it is imperative that you do not use the DSDT from the Boot CDs, either by Mammoth or Amer, as they contain Speed Stepping patches for i7 - this might physically break your system.

You have to generate your own DSDT in Windows or Linux with my patcher file, taking out (or replacing) the SSDT and C-States speedstepping parts from it and you should be safe.

PS

@haber what languages do you speak?

Thanks for the important info NIXin! I was not aware of that.

If we can create a solid DSDT (or even workable) I would like to include them in the next Installation DVD release.

So those of you with an i5 or i3, let us know if you are willing to work with us to help create these DSDTs.

Thanks NIXin, and all.

p.s. I may just create 3 separate versions: an i3, i5, and i7 Mammoth Installation CD Perhaps that would be the best way to go about this.