[Guide] HP DV8, DV7, DV6, & DV5, 10.6.4 Easy, Comprehensive Installation

Mammoth

v2.00 Installation, Update, and Mammoth Installation media  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Is v2.00 something you are interested in and would use?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Which are you most interested in?

• v2.00 Installation Guides
    • v2.00 Post-installation Update Guide

1,266 posts in this topic

hello all, i wanted to share my exeriences with my dv7t-3300. specs are i7-720qm, 3gb, nvidia 320m, a 320gb & 500 gb hd.. my first run at getting hackingtosh going a friend who has a mac and familiar with the os helped me get it going. we used [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. the issue i was running into with this was always having to use cpu=1 on boot otherwise kp. after much searching trying to resolve the issue i ran across this forum which got me excited because it was geared more towards my machine specs. so about a week ago i bit the bullet and reistalled windows 7 on my 500gb drive. well after installer reboot i had a dead laptop. sound familiar anyone, yes immediately my heart sunk as i recalled some of the very first post in this thread. well i decided to experiment so i pulled out all peripherals i could to try to get anything out of the pc. to my relief the bios loaded so i went to isolate the cause of dead laptop. my setup was osx on the first drive (320) and 2 separate 7 installs on the other somehow after reinstalling 7 it killed the first hd making it unusable and preventing the laptop from doing anything at all on boot. with it gone i was able to do a factory restore on the 500 by itself got 7 updated and all that. not wanting to kill another hd i purchased another one from fry's ( a seagate momentus xt 500gb 7200 & ssd hybrid, smokin =D ) i had my friend assist me once again and when we got thru the guides i had less functionality. well my friend misinterpreted some of the syntax so i am currently going thru the guide again myself hopefully with some better success on hardware support. thanks to all for the hard work & posting of success or failure.

***UPDATE***

just finished the guides all the way through the 1.15 guide i have 4 cores with 4 hyperthreads, video reports geforce 230m and i have a 320m, and lan is working.

things that aren't working are sound, and scroll wheel on the mouse. scroll worked after i finished the 10.6.3 install.

anyhelp would b greatly appreciated

EVERYONE: Does anyone have their remote working on a DV8t-1100 (VF836AV) under 10.6.5?

The remote has never worked on my DV8-1093ca and never will until a driver is written and here is why...

On this HP model, the remote is part of the embedded controller (EC) and therefore is an interrupt driven device. See CIR0 device in DSDT. See IR device properties in Windoze.

On other HP models, I suspect the remote is USB based and therefore Apple's driver can likely use it "out of the box". I base this on what I saw comparing a MacBookPro6,2 DSDT and IOReg output where you can see the remote hanging off the USB chain.

As far as I can see, for my remote to work, we need a kext that will bind itself to CIR0, receive IR events and then forward/translate them to the Apple driver/system (and may require a dummy USB driver to get the Apple driver loaded)

If people with *working* remotes can dump their device registry via the ioreg command and post, we can confirm this.

Well , I am not sure why , but my little remote works, I just tested right now , watched a DVD , runed itunes , and all of the functions work , volume up , down , next , back , forward , even the little wheel works ! Amazing , I never even got it out of the box since new !

I use the the smbios .plist modified by " The X" found in page 30 of this tread .

everything else works, sleep closing the screen, audio, camera, USB's , card reader, audio, Lan, etc.

let me know if I can check something , even tho i do not know how , but for sure i would like to learn more , like I have learned since we started this project . thanks again to all of you !

Mommoth,

many thanks for great guide. Maybe my story helps other starters.

You are wright. I have to do excactly what there is standing. First I did the Cham installation wrong. Then I erased it and startet again and the end was a blinking cursor (3 times). Then I realised that to erase is not all. The partition has to be bootable. Now everything worked fine. Next step update to 1.15. Some more pain. Then the OSX repair went to the harddisk and the mistakes didn´t become that timefull. Then Wake=on and starting with -x didn´t work. After that Istarted with wake=on and after booting the first thing was Under Terminal run:
sudo update_dyld_shared_cache. Now the system was stable.

Actual: 10.6.5 with Taptuns great kernel. Thanks

Next steps:

symbios.plist from "The X" many thanks

dsdt.aml from "Sammity" many thanks

Working on a DV7 3190eg:

lid

sound

geekbench: 6628

cpu temp: 49 Celsius

Not working:

hp keys only louder

remote

Go on like this

Soebbes

my system now kp after about 30-45 min from boot up have to hold the power button to force shut down & restart. can nyone help? all the files i used were from the mammoth 1.15 bcd. there's 33 pages of this forum so i don't know where to go for updated files i don't really have time to comb all 33 pages if someone could point me to where some updated files are i would surely appreciate it. as a sidenote it seemed like my cordless mouse became erratic after update i have to click on item a couple times b4 it will register sometimes.

ALL DVx OWNERS

Please take the time (right now) to create your signature, if you haven't already done so.

By doing this, everyone will be able to help you more easily and faster. There will be no need to ask you "what your configuration is", as we can put your model number (ex. VF836AV) in HP's web site and look it up. You won't have to keep typing it in everytime someone asks for it, and time won't be wasted wondering what your config is, or waiting for you to respond with it. When you are reporting issues, everyone can simply look at your signature and be able to help you out faster.

Here is how you edit your signature on InsanelyMac.com:

Either click this link: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...rCP&CODE=22

or...

At the top right of the screen, click on the icon of the little gear ("My Controls" when you mouse over it), then on the left under "Personal profile" click the "Edit Signature" link. You can cut and paste my "sample" below (of course edit to match your system), and enter it just as if you were posting a message. You can get fancy with it if you want by adjusting colors, fonts, etc, but make sure it's easy to read.

Sample:

HP DV8t-1100 (VF836AV) | Core i7-720QM 1.6GHz | nVidia GeForce GT 230M w/ 1024MB | 18.4" 1920 x 1080 display | 4GB PC3 RAM | 500GB 72k HD | OS X 10.6.5 & Win7 Ult x64

my system now kp after about 30-45 min from boot up have to hold the power button to force shut down & restart. can nyone help? all the files i used were from the mammoth 1.15 bcd. there's 33 pages of this forum so i don't know where to go for updated files i don't really have time to comb all 33 pages if someone could point me to where some updated files are i would surely appreciate it. as a sidenote it seemed like my cordless mouse became erratic after update i have to click on item a couple times b4 it will register sometimes.

Try to update to Taptun's new 64-bit kernel (within the last 3 or 4 pages of this thread), then you will do a ChamExtUp, Pfix, Disk Repair on the OS X partition. Should be stable after that.

can mac os x run on hp pavilion dv6-2157el ?

if i burn the mac os x dmg file that i've downloaded from torrent could work as well as the original?

if yes, how can i burn it on a dvd? (i'm using ubuntu)

1st, you shouldn't talk about downloading copyrighted software from torrents (or elsewhere) on sites as mods may ban you. (So I would edit that out of your post right now). 2nd, yes, I think the procedure should work on your system. Make good backups before you try though. For burning DMG. images in general from OS X, use SimplyBurns.

The remote has never worked on my DV8-1093ca and never will until a driver is written and here is why...

On this HP model, the remote is part of the embedded controller (EC) and therefore is an interrupt driven device. See CIR0 device in DSDT. See IR device properties in Windoze.

On other HP models, I suspect the remote is USB based and therefore Apple's driver can likely use it "out of the box". I base this on what I saw comparing a MacBookPro6,2 DSDT and IOReg output where you can see the remote hanging off the USB chain.

As far as I can see, for my remote to work, we need a kext that will bind itself to CIR0, receive IR events and then forward/translate them to the Apple driver/system (and may require a dummy USB driver to get the Apple driver loaded)

If people with *working* remotes can dump their device registry via the ioreg command and post, we can confirm this.

Thanks for the info Gsly,

It's always bugged me why people were saying it was working for them, but I could never get it working on mine. Now I know why.

Thanks.

My remote is working :D , not all the keys but it's working :(

this is my ioreg: IOreg.rtf

mammoth, thanks for the info. after following instruction on getting the new kernel install it is indeed much more stable now. just for kicks i tried my remote and my results are the same as yours - no functionality :wacko: . i didn't realize it until i went to update the kernel but i had no usb support either, i plugged in my usb drive and i couldn't mount it. so looked in the profiler and nothing was listed under usb which would explain why my mouse wasn't working properly. now it seems i have everything except remote & wireless. i'd be happy to test out new files if someone has updated something as long as it doesn't fry my machine. once again thanks to all for their hard work.

ps any chance you can point me to the supercal 1.2 icc profile i can't seem to find it

Here's a thought about the WIFI issue. The Apple card you suggest, which requires finding the full height slot and rewiring the antenna, etc is a Apple Airport Extreme Card Ma688z/b which is actually a BROADCCOM Bcm94321mc 802.11n, of course. Dell has a HALF-HEIGHT Broadcom BCM94322 which they sell as DW 1510: http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Half-Height-Bro...s/dp/B002OB0FPI. What do you guys think? it's such a similar Broadcom model number. I was going to take a flyer on it for my Pavillion DV7. Any thoughts?

thanks

Just an update on battery kext development. I added some debugging to the AppleACPIBatteryManager kext to determine what needed to be fixed/changed in either the kext or DSDT.

In the process of doing this, I installed coconutBattery (http://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/) to monitor as well. However, this software didn't show anything! It was like the battery wasn't even there... Poking through that program, I found it gathers its data via a simple command line:

ioreg -rn AppleSmartBattery

Of course, this wasn't loaded on my DV8 so I looked at a MacBookPro6,2 IOReg/Profiler dump and determined how it was loaded.

Long story short, I read many documents (ACPI, SmartBattery, Embedded Controller, SMBus) and looked at much source code (AppleSmartBattey, DV8 DSDT, MacBookPro6,2 DSDT) and managed to get AppleSmartBattery to load and read (most) values from the battery via SMBus! (Had to write/adapt DSDT code)

However, it needs much more work because the Apple kext stops polling and I suspect its because it directly calls the SMC to stop its communication with the battery so it can talk to it. Of course, this will never work on a Hackintosh as it has no SMC, just FakeSMC but I can't even add code to that because Apple just directly hits the hardware address! Glad to see that nothing has changed since Mac OS 7.5 days where Apple was breaking its own programming rules then :)

I also can't compile a custom AppleSmartBattery kext as Apple doesn't provide the SMBus header files required to compile... However I'm looking at building my own headers/class based on the standards documents. We'll see.

Aren't rabbit holes fun? :D I'll probably get back to AppleACPIBattery next week to at least get that working, but I like the thought of getting the native Apple battery driver fully working so that other software like coconutBattery will also work.

had anyone had success with the HP Pavilion DVx with ATI 5650 graphics? I have DV7-4080 with ATI and got pretty far with a this method and also the TonyOSx86 [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].

I was able to get 10.6.3 booted up and partially working, but when updating to 10.6.4 or the MBP 1.3 update and doing the post-install cleanup methods here, I start to run into massive failures. Mostly I ran into AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext problems. With it installed I get KPs and w/o it I get boot hang.

Is this because of the ATI graphics? I feel like it's not worth continuing w/o NVIDIA. Am I wrong?

thanks!!

Just an update on battery kext development. I added some debugging to the AppleACPIBatteryManager kext to determine what needed to be fixed/changed in either the kext or DSDT.

In the process of doing this, I installed coconutBattery (http://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/) to monitor as well. However, this software didn't show anything! It was like the battery wasn't even there... Poking through that program, I found it gathers its data via a simple command line:

Of course, this wasn't loaded on my DV8 so I looked at a MacBookPro6,2 IOReg/Profiler dump and determined how it was loaded.

Long story short, I read many documents (ACPI, SmartBattery, Embedded Controller, SMBus) and looked at much source code (AppleSmartBattey, DV8 DSDT, MacBookPro6,2 DSDT) and managed to get AppleSmartBattery to load and read (most) values from the battery via SMBus! (Had to write/adapt DSDT code)

However, it needs much more work because the Apple kext stops polling and I suspect its because it directly calls the SMC to stop its communication with the battery so it can talk to it. Of course, this will never work on a Hackintosh as it has no SMC, just FakeSMC but I can't even add code to that because Apple just directly hits the hardware address! Glad to see that nothing has changed since Mac OS 7.5 days where Apple was breaking its own programming rules then :)

I also can't compile a custom AppleSmartBattery kext as Apple doesn't provide the SMBus header files required to compile... However I'm looking at building my own headers/class based on the standards documents. We'll see.

Aren't rabbit holes fun? :angel: I'll probably get back to AppleACPIBattery next week to at least get that working, but I like the thought of getting the native Apple battery driver fully working so that other software like coconutBattery will also work.

Hello, as long as what you're working on is not generating KPs left and right like Voodoo, i'll be happy, even if the info is not fully accurate.

mammoth, thanks for the info. after following instruction on getting the new kernel install it is indeed much more stable now. just for kicks i tried my remote and my results are the same as yours - no functionality :( . i didn't realize it until i went to update the kernel but i had no usb support either, i plugged in my usb drive and i couldn't mount it. so looked in the profiler and nothing was listed under usb which would explain why my mouse wasn't working properly. now it seems i have everything except remote & wireless. i'd be happy to test out new files if someone has updated something as long as it doesn't fry my machine. once again thanks to all for their hard work.

ps any chance you can point me to the supercal 1.2 icc profile i can't seem to find it

Hi Jason,

Glad you got everything working that can work. The SuperCal file is on the Update v1.15 CD.

I will be needing some testers, and I would like to have one of each machine (dv8, 7, 6, 5...) so seeing as you have a dv7, I just may tap you for testing once we are there.

Thanks!

Here's a thought about the WIFI issue. The Apple card you suggest, which requires finding the full height slot and rewiring the antenna, etc is a Apple Airport Extreme Card Ma688z/b which is actually a BROADCCOM Bcm94321mc 802.11n, of course. Dell has a HALF-HEIGHT Broadcom BCM94322 which they sell as DW 1510: http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Half-Height-Bro...s/dp/B002OB0FPI. What do you guys think? it's such a similar Broadcom model number. I was going to take a flyer on it for my Pavillion DV7. Any thoughts?

thanks

The issue may be with HP "black listing" wireless cards they have not approved. This is the problem with the "top (or half-hight) mini-pci slot". You can put a different card in it, but the BIOS will reject it and not allow it to be used.

There have been some posts here about adding cards to the list, but this requires a BIOS modification. Each time HP releases a new BIOS, it would have to be modified again.

If someone wants to post the steps on how to do this, that would be great. I would love to add this information to the new guides if it could be made easy enough for others to do.

Aren't rabbit holes fun? :P I'll probably get back to AppleACPIBattery next week to at least get that working, but I like the thought of getting the native Apple battery driver fully working so that other software like coconutBattery will also work.

Great work Gsly!

If it's going to happen, it's going to be you that makes it so. It would be SO awesome to have the battery fully supported, and it sounds like if you are successful, it will pave the way for other machines in the future.

NICE!

Hello...are any settings to install osX to Hp Pavillion DV6-1040ev ?

The specs are here Hp Pavillion dv6-1040ev

Your specs are different than most of ours. You would have to try it and if you report back with details on the changes you have to make, I could add them to guides perhaps.

Hey guys.

I just spent the last 5h on making a auto DSDT patcher for our DV6 (and possibly DV7 and DV8 aswell).

It's got i7 speed stepping integrated, so if you don't have i7, just take that part out.

First you need to download the DSDT Auto Patcher

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...howtopic=235523

Then unpack the DV6.zip folder to DSDT Auto Patcher/packs.

Please test if it works for you, I only tested on my DV6t, but it should work on all DV6.

One note - the fixes to make the DSDT compile aren't included and also, it's not yet safe to double-patch, so be sure, you're patching a raw, original DSDT, that is manually modificated so that it compiles. On DV6 there's 4 things you need to do in order to get an untouched DSDT to compile:

1. If/Else (IGDS) after RP05 (look here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...215033&st=0 on how to do this)

You can auto-patch some problems:

#fix 2 - this works:
into DefinitionBlock code_regex_not PBIF code_regex Package\s\(0x0D\) replaceall_matched
begin
Package ()
end;

#fix 3:
into_all scope label _SB code_regex Name\s\(PR01,\sPackage\s\(0x00\) replaceall_matched
begin
Name (PR01, Package (Zero)
end;
into_all device label IHUB parent_label RHUB remove_entry;
into device label RHUB parent_adr 0x001D0000 insert
begin
Device (IHUB)\n
{\n
Name (_ADR, One)\n
Name (_UPC, Package (0x04)\n
{\n
	0xFF, \n
	Zero, \n
	Zero, \n
	Zero\n
})\n
Name (_PLD, Package (0x04)\n
{\n
	0x81, \n
	Zero, \n
	Zero, \n
	Zero\n
})\n
Device (PRT3)\n
{\n
	Name (_ADR, 0x03)\n
	{\n
		0xFF, \n
		Zero, \n
		Zero, \n
		Zero\n
	})\n
	{\n
		0x81, \n
		Zero, \n
		Zero, \n
		Zero\n
	})\n
}\n
Device (PRT5)\n
{\n
	Name (_ADR, 0x05)\n
	{\n
		0xFF, \n
		Zero, \n
		Zero, \n
		Zero\n
	})\n
	{\n
		0x81, \n
		Zero, \n
		Zero, \n
		Zero\n
	})\n
}\n
Device (PRT7)\n
{\n
	Name (_ADR, 0x07)\n
	{\n
		0xFF, \n
		Zero, \n
		Zero, \n
		Zero\n
	})\n
	{\n
		0x81, \n
		Zero, \n
		Zero, \n
		Zero\n
	})\n
}\n
}
end;

into device label RHUB parent_adr 0x001A0000 insert
begin
Device (IHUB)\n
{\n
Name (_ADR, One)\n
{\n
	0xFF, \n
	Zero, \n
	Zero, \n
	Zero\n
})\n
{\n
	0x81, \n
	Zero, \n
	Zero, \n
	Zero\n
})\n
Device (PRT4)\n
{\n
	Name (_ADR, 0x04)\n
	{\n
		0xFF, \n
		Zero, \n
		Zero, \n
		Zero\n
	})\n
	{\n
		0x81, \n
		Zero, \n
		Zero, \n
		Zero\n
	})\n
}\n
Device (PRT5)\n
{\n
	Name (_ADR, 0x05)\n
	{\n
		0xFF, \n
		Zero, \n
		Zero, \n
		Zero\n
	})\n
	{\n
		0x81, \n
		Zero, \n
		Zero, \n
		Zero\n
	})\n
}\n
Device (PRT6)\n
{\n
	Name (_ADR, 0x06)\n
	{\n
		0xFF, \n
		Zero, \n
		Zero, \n
		Zero\n
	})\n
	{\n
		0x81, \n
		Zero, \n
		Zero, \n
		Zero\n
	})\n
}\n
}
end

3. Replace the Name (BUF0 section with this:

Name (BUF0, ResourceTemplate ()
		{
			WordBusNumber (ResourceProducer, MinFixed, MaxFixed, PosDecode,
				0x0000,			 // Granularity
				0x0000,			 // Range Minimum
				0x00FE,			 // Range Maximum
				0x0000,			 // Translation Offset
				0x00FF,			 // Length
				,, )
			DWordIO (ResourceProducer, MinFixed, MaxFixed, PosDecode, EntireRange,
				0x00000000,		 // Granularity
				0x00000000,		 // Range Minimum
				0x00000CF7,		 // Range Maximum
				0x00000000,		 // Translation Offset
				0x00000CF8,		 // Length
				,, , TypeStatic)
			IO (Decode16,
				0x0CF8,			 // Range Minimum
				0x0CF8,			 // Range Maximum
				0x01,			   // Alignment
				0x08,			   // Length
				)
			DWordIO (ResourceProducer, MinFixed, MaxFixed, PosDecode, EntireRange,
				0x00000D00,		 // Range Minimum
				0x0000FFFF,		 // Range Maximum
				0x0000F300,		 // Length
				,, , TypeStatic)
			DWordMemory (ResourceProducer, PosDecode, MinFixed, MaxFixed, Cacheable, ReadWrite,
				0x000A0000,		 // Range Minimum
				0x000BFFFF,		 // Range Maximum
				0x00020000,		 // Length
				,, , AddressRangeMemory, TypeStatic)
			DWordMemory (ResourceProducer, PosDecode, MinFixed, MaxFixed, Cacheable, ReadWrite,
				0x000C0000,		 // Range Minimum
				0x000C3FFF,		 // Range Maximum
				0x00004000,		 // Length
				0x000C4000,		 // Range Minimum
				0x000C7FFF,		 // Range Maximum
				0x00004000,		 // Length
				0x000C8000,		 // Range Minimum
				0x000CBFFF,		 // Range Maximum
				0x00004000,		 // Length
				0x000CC000,		 // Range Minimum
				0x000CFFFF,		 // Range Maximum
				0x00004000,		 // Length
				0x000D0000,		 // Range Minimum
				0x000D3FFF,		 // Range Maximum
				0x00004000,		 // Length
				0x000D4000,		 // Range Minimum
				0x000D7FFF,		 // Range Maximum
				0x00004000,		 // Length
				0x000D8000,		 // Range Minimum
				0x000DBFFF,		 // Range Maximum
				0x00004000,		 // Length
				0x000DC000,		 // Range Minimum
				0x000DFFFF,		 // Range Maximum
				0x00004000,		 // Length
				0x000E0000,		 // Range Minimum
				0x000E3FFF,		 // Range Maximum
				0x00004000,		 // Length
				0x000E4000,		 // Range Minimum
				0x000E7FFF,		 // Range Maximum
				0x00004000,		 // Length
				0x000E8000,		 // Range Minimum
				0x000EBFFF,		 // Range Maximum
				0x00004000,		 // Length
				0x000EC000,		 // Range Minimum
				0x000EFFFF,		 // Range Maximum
				0x00004000,		 // Length
				0x000F0000,		 // Range Minimum
				0x000FFFFF,		 // Range Maximum
				0x00010000,		 // Length
				0x00000000,		 // Range Minimum
				0xFEAFFFFF,		 // Range Maximum
				0xFEB00000,		 // Length
		})

Let me know if I missed any DSDT corrections or if something is not right.

At the moment, the only weird thing I see with a DSDT produced with my script is that I get 4 extra unknown devices displayed as ExpressCard slots. Anybody knows why this might be?

Cheers

PS

I've also been looking into the backlight matter. It should be simple enough to fix, I found the EC register responsible for changing it, it's 0xE2, and it's very precise, you can take it from 0x00 (backlit off) to 0x63 (which is even slightly brighter than you can set maximum on Windows) - a hundred steps! The lowest possible setting on Windows is 0x06, so it's nice to know that we can have even less light ;-)

DLYT,   8, 
							Offset (0xE2), 
					BRTL,   8, 
							Offset (0xE6),

DLYT is the one to set the backlight, and BRTL is read-only, to get the actual value of the backlight at the moment.

Hello everyone , I am having a little problem , my dv8 for some reason , every time I put it to sleep by closing the screen , once it wakes , I no longer have the DVD drive , here are my specifics about it :

hp DVDRAM GT30L:

Firmware Revision: mP04

Interconnect: ATAPI

Burn Support: Yes (Generic Drive Support)

Profile Path: None

Cache: 1024 KB

Reads DVD: Yes

CD-Write: -R, -RW

DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RAM, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW

Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO

Media: To show the available burn speeds, insert a disc and choose View > Refresh

after opening the screen i get a "no media found " message .

I been using the JmicronATA.kext 64 bits ,

Not sure if any body else has this problem? here are my computer details

HP DV8t-1100 (VF836AV) | Core i7-720QM 1.6GHz | nVidia GeForce GT 230M w/ 1024MB | 18.4" 1920 x 1080 display | 4GB PC3 RAM | 500GB 72k HD

thanks for all of your help ........... ;)

Hey guys.

I just spent the last 5h on making a auto DSDT patcher for our DV6 (and possibly DV7 and DV8 aswell).

It's got i7 speed stepping integrated, so if you don't have i7, just take that part out.

First you need to download the DSDT Auto Patcher

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...howtopic=235523

Then unpack the DV6.zip folder to DSDT Auto Patcher/packs.

Please test if it works for you, I only tested on my DV6t, but it should work on all DV6.

One note - the fixes to make the DSDT compile aren't included and also, it's not yet safe to double-patch, so be sure, you're patching a raw, original DSDT, that is manually modificated so that it compiles. On DV6 there's 4 things

Let me know if I missed any DSDT corrections or if something is not right.

At the moment, the only weird thing I see with a DSDT produced with my script is that I get 4 extra unknown devices displayed as ExpressCard slots. Anybody knows why this might be?

Cheers

PS

I've also been looking into the backlight matter. It should be simple enough to fix, I found the EC register responsible for changing it, it's 0xE2, and it's very precise, you can take it from 0x00 (backlit off) to 0x63 (which is even slightly brighter than you can set maximum on Windows) - a hundred steps! The lowest possible setting on Windows is 0x06, so it's nice to know that we can have even less light ;-)

DLYT,   8, 
							Offset (0xE2), 
					BRTL,   8, 
							Offset (0xE6),

DLYT is the one to set the backlight, and BRTL is read-only, to get the actual value of the backlight at the moment.

This is some great stuff NIXin! I am actually working on DSDT and backlight right now.

Thanks!

This is some great stuff NIXin! I am actually working on DSDT and backlight right now.

Thanks!

And here is a link to some code to enable the brightness slider:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=211705

More info I found here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=101966

And I just discovered that pressing the Fn key and either [insert/scroll] or [pg up / pause] activates brightness control.

Hello everyone , I am having a little problem , my dv8 for some reason , every time I put it to sleep by closing the screen , once it wakes , I no longer have the DVD drive , here are my specifics about it :

hp DVDRAM GT30L:

Firmware Revision: mP04

Interconnect: ATAPI

Burn Support: Yes (Generic Drive Support)

Profile Path: None

Cache: 1024 KB

Reads DVD: Yes

CD-Write: -R, -RW

DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RAM, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW

Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO

Media: To show the available burn speeds, insert a disc and choose View > Refresh

after opening the screen i get a "no media found " message .

I been using the JmicronATA.kext 64 bits ,

Not sure if any body else has this problem? here are my computer details

HP DV8t-1100 (VF836AV) | Core i7-720QM 1.6GHz | nVidia GeForce GT 230M w/ 1024MB | 18.4" 1920 x 1080 display | 4GB PC3 RAM | 500GB 72k HD

thanks for all of your help ........... :P

I am not using JmicronATA.kext, do you need it, and if so, what for?

Glad to see someone is making progress with the brightness, it's well beyond my levels although I'm learning dsdt editing along the way :unsure:

I've been fiddling with the wireless, and have an alternative that doesn't involve dismantling the DV8 series (which I have).

I've a large amount of old Apple bits so decided to use the antennae cable assembly from the screen of a macbook pro. It's the part that usually resides in the hinge of the screen assembly, I've taken mine from a 15.4" non unibody model.

As advised by Mammoth I'm using a broadcomm based wireless card, (Apple original from a Macbook) and have connected the two up in my HP.

Success, the signal quality is good and I've no major modification done to the machine. Naturally this may not be the route for everyone, but I'm not inclined to dismantle my HP (yet) so this does the trick.

The picture I've taken I hope will help.

A step at a time this is becoming a great machine :D

post-612782-1292537735_thumb.jpg

Hello all,

Great news! How would you like to be able to install any Wi-Fi card in the top (original slot) and use it? I have found a thread where they show just how to do this, and the links are below.

What I would like to request is that if someone figures out how to do this, they could make a couple versions for us to try: DV8, DV7, DV6, and DV5. If possible, make some directions showing the rest of us how to do it.

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/2...ns-mod-requests.

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/7...modify-the-bios

Others are doing this and making it work, so I'm sure we can too! Good luck!

Hi Jason,

Glad you got everything working that can work. The SuperCal file is on the Update v1.15 CD.

I will be needing some testers, and I would like to have one of each machine (dv8, 7, 6, 5...) so seeing as you have a dv7, I just may tap you for testing once we are there.

Thanks!

Mammoth,

be glad to test for you once you get 1.20 guides done. i'm just a sucker for new stuff :) when i was messing with linux anytime a new distro or certain update for a prog came out i had to install and test. i was gonna try that new dsdt patcher but it looks a little complicated for me. i have noticed that after some of the programs i've installed i have to run pfix & then repair disk permissions. i know when it needs done because when i reboot i have no audio or ethernet on reboot. it seems like it usually happens when i have to use my password to install something. will this get better with your updates?