[Guide] HP DV8, DV7, DV6, & DV5, 10.6.4 Easy, Comprehensive Installation

Mammoth

v2.00 Installation, Update, and Mammoth Installation media  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Is v2.00 something you are interested in and would use?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Which are you most interested in?

• v2.00 Installation Guides
    • v2.00 Post-installation Update Guide

1,266 posts in this topic

hi mates! Ive got a question, will this work on my HP Pavilion DV6700 with the following specs:

HP Pavilion dv6700

ACPIx86-based PC (mobile)

Processor: Mobile DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo T8100, 2100 MHz (10.5 x 200)

Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard HP Pavilion dv6700 Notebook PC

Motherboard chipset: Intel Crestline - PM PM965

VGA: NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS (256MB)

Audio: Realtek ALC268 @ Intel 82801 HBM ICH8M

WLAN network adapter - Broadcom

Network adapter - Realtek RTL8101E

I am really stuck on will OS X work on my notebook. Please help, thanks in advance!

• In System Profiler, under Hardware, Diagnostics, the result always reads “Failed”.

• I would really like to fix this and I don’t mean mask it but actually find out what’s wrong and fix it.

• I think it is a DSDT issue, but either way I think we can solve this.

Hello Mammoth, my result is always "Success". If I can help you by sharing a file or something, just tell me.

Hi Yehia Amer,

I'm sure you didn't mean it that way, but that "sounds" really pushy and demanding (and a little ungrateful). Again, I'm sure you didn't mean it that way, as we all know we are doing this stuff for no pay and in our spare time (not to mention he doesn't even have our system).

I would recommend responding back to him and let him know you didn't mean it like that, and that you appreciate any help he can spare us when he has it.

Just a suggestion I think would go a long way in making sure everyone is "good".

While we are at it, I want to thank YOU Yehia Amer, as you have been a HUGE contributor to all our efforts!

:angry2:

thanks Mammoth for your advice & for this spirit , i already did that and sent a PM to him

Hey guys, I looked through this thread and didnt see anyone with my particular problem.

I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro L650 (Core i5 450M, 4GB RAM) which has similar specs to the HP series talked about in these guides.

Unfortunately when I use the 1.15 boot cd I get a "Can't find mach_kernel" message and it goes back to the boot selection screen. From what I've read I should be able to hit F8 and type in some options that should get me past my issue. Any help is greatly appreciated

I was able to use the Mammoth 1.15 BCD to boot up my retail snow leopard dvd successfully on my HP dv9000

thx for the great guide! :)

That's awesome Ptesone, thanks for sharing that info.

I have (had) a dv9000t... it's dead now. : ( There is a defect with the Go 7600 nVidia GPU where they will all eventually fail (so I hope you don't have this one). :| Mine is sitting on a shelf collecting dust 'til I figure out what to do with its remains.

I tried like hell (for a few years even), to get OS X working on it, and was never able to. I would be very interested to hear from you if you are able, and how much of the guide and boot CD you are able to use with it.

You probably should NOT use a modified kernel, but I assume should be able to go vanilla, which would be cool and good for you! Also the DSDT and smbios file will have to be different. You will probably have to use different kext files for audio and networking, and probably some others.

Let me know how it goes.

- Getting ANY of the HP buttons working would be a bonus. So if you are able to do it, GREAT, as no one to date that I know of has been able to do anything with them. Question: What are the chances we could get the brightness slider working? A lot of people have requested that and would certainly be a very useful function. In this thread, even (I think) within the first 5 pages), code was found that made the slider appear in System Preferences, it just has no affect.

I've done a bunch of tests and investigation on the brightness slider and I think this one will be tricky to get working because you need to have the right bits in the DSDT, get the Apple kexts to think the display has a backlight, etc.

As for the hot/HP keys, some are generated via the regular keyboard interrupt and others are controlled via the EC. I think I've found a datasheet for the EC used in the DV8 via your internal "guts" pictures (thanks!) so there might be hope for those as well. If needed, a custom kext can bridge between the EC/DSDT to make it all work..

- On the Keyboard and TrackPad .kexts, elsewhere in this thread (more recently), someone posted a working, non-Voodoo, working, 64-bit version. I did not have the time to even look at it before, let alone try it, but I think I saw several downloads of it and believe it is working; I think it even added more TrackPad functionality.

That is likely the one Slice created. I'm going to use his a basis as he's already got code in there to make Asus hotkeys work and I'm just going to rip that out and replace with HP keys. I've got his code now and I just need to create a new SVN project, compile a debug version and see what keys I can get working...

- Also, TOTALLY with you on the importance of stability over everything else! Once again, really great work!

Yes, it took me forever to determine that VoodooHDA was randomly locking up my system (I think there are issues if that driver shares interrupts with the graphics driver as it does on my DV8). That is partially why I'm compiling/building my own drivers and I'm a little behind you guys in the 64-bit stuff...

Hi,

First I gotta say to Mammoth how great your guide is!! I have been trying to install OSX on my HP DV7 3111a for months ever since I bought it with little success, I can't believe I've only just found this thread!!

Using your boot CD I have managed to boot into a random old install of 10.6.2 (a distro I must admit) that I had installed on a USB drive which is further than I've ever got before! I can only boot in safe mode with -x cpus=1 busratio=17 but at least it loads which I have never got before with any installation (and I've tried retail 10.6 using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]/chameleon etc., every distro I can find etc.).

What normally happens is I can install using -v -x cpus=1 busratio=17 but whenever I try and boot it will always reset before finishing loading. Depending on what boot flags I use varies weather it resets pretty much immediately (says a few lines of text then reboots on Starting Kernel or something like that), or using safe mode can sometimes get as far as loading all the drivers then rebooting.

This is happening when I use your boot cd and try to install using a retail 10.6.3 disk. Using -v -x cpus=1 busratio=17 it loads all kexts then says something like:

nvidia512......something

patching dmi table... something

starting... something...

it all goes past so fast its hard to read, sorry I know thats probably not much help.

From what I can work out it may be something to do with having the wrong DSDT or needing the legacy_kernel? The only other version of OSX I have got to work was iPortable Snow which is a usb stick version of hazard I believe which will boot using same flags using the legacy_kernel or chocolate_kernel. This does load but I can't get the graphics card to work with QE/CI so pretty much useless. From what I know all I need to get the card working (its a nVidia geforce 105m 512mb) is to use GraphicsEnabler=Yes. When I try and boot my semi working 10.6.2 install it loads using safemode and cpus=1 busratio=17 but with no QE/CI , when I add GraphicsEnabler=Yes it comes up witha load of text about NVEnabler detecting stuff (about 3 pages) then resets again.

Arrghhh I've been trying this for months now and really wanted a new laptop that would support OSX its so annoying. I can't work out why it won't work. I've also been following kokmal in an excellent thread at http://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&a...45d7037eeec09a4 who seems to have a virtually identical machine to me (same spec just slightly different model number 3138a not 3111a) and his works so I thought mine would as its seemingly the exact same machine.

Any help would be so appreciated:)!!

Thanks,

Mik

Hi there Shef_city_techno,

First, if you could edit out your double posting, that would be "gooder". :)

Second, you're a very welcome! I really appreciate each person personally when he or she takes the time to show their appreciation. So thank you. :|

1) Have you tried following the guides to the letter yet, or is that what you have been doing?

2) I tried to lookup the specs for your machine, but they are not listed. Could you post them? It would be a good idea to add them to your signature (like I have... you can see the specs for all 3 of my Hacs).

3) Who made the BIOS on your machine? Is it Insyde, Phoenix, other?

if you have the processor i5-430M, try this boot cd instead of the mammoth one: http://prasys.info/2010/07/empireefi-1-085...-10-6-3-is-out/

also i would like to see the mammoth boot cd working also for this processor in the future 1.20 guide, is this possible mammoth?

Thanks Doomer0,

Great request. Do you know what the difference is? What BIOS is on those machines? Is it InSyde or something else? Or do you know if it's a DSDT and/or smbios issue? There should only be slight differences. Could you list the specs of that other machine or even a link to the specs? If not too difficult, I would like to add the files and info in the guides that might allow more machines to work.

hi mates! Ive got a question, will this work on my HP Pavilion DV6700 with the following specs:

HP Pavilion dv6700

ACPIx86-based PC (mobile)

Processor: Mobile DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo T8100, 2100 MHz (10.5 x 200)

Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard HP Pavilion dv6700 Notebook PC

Motherboard chipset: Intel Crestline - PM PM965

VGA: NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS (256MB)

Audio: Realtek ALC268 @ Intel 82801 HBM ICH8M

WLAN network adapter - Broadcom

Network adapter - Realtek RTL8101E

I am really stuck on will OS X work on my notebook. Please help, thanks in advance!

Hello Sslevski,

Thanks for posting your specs! That makes it easy for me to provide you an answer.

Who is the BIOS maker? If it's NOT Insyde, you may be able to use the vanilla kernel, so you would skip that part of the guides. You will need to do something different for the audio and maybe the video. So I think the answer is yes, but with a little tweaking.

Hello Mammoth, my result is always "Success". If I can help you by sharing a file or something, just tell me.

Thanks very much Koalasniper for the info! This is one of my top priorities.

Can you tell me more about your machine and configuration? Who makes the BIOS? How closely were you able to follow the guides to get a working system? What, if any, major changes did you have to make?

Thanks, this would be wonderful to resolve.

For everyone else, here are some things I've tried recently trying to resolve this:

- Ran without DSDT or smbios.plist and issue remained.

- Tried my modules in all combinations, 1, 2, top, bottom, result always failure.

- Put in actual Apple memory from a real Mac Book Pro, result same, failure.

That's awesome Ptesone, thanks for sharing that info.

I have (had) a dv9000t... it's dead now. : ( There is a defect with the Go 7600 nVidia GPU where they will all eventually fail (so I hope you don't have this one). :| Mine is sitting on a shelf collecting dust 'til I figure out what to do with its remains.

yea, I've heard about those. My video is nVidia 8600M GS that has been revived or "cooked" by my father in law, he buys the dead video HP's on EBAY and "cooks" them back to life, mine is one of those. . .

I tried like hell (for a few years even), to get OS X working on it, and was never able to. I would be very interested hear from you if you are able, and how much of the guide and boot CD you are able to use with it.

You probably should NOT use a modified kernel, but I assume should be able to go vanilla, which would be cool and good for you! Also the DSDT and smbios file will have to be different. You will probably have to use different kext files for audio and networking, and probably some others.

Let me know how it goes.

well it all went well, I installed snow leopard 10.6 and updated to 10.6.5 right off the bat, I used tonymacx86's [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] to install chameleon and enable audo/video/wifi kexts (I had to get a DW1940 for wifi & flash the BIOS),

the only real problem I'm having is it's running kind of hot and the fan's are always running, and I also installed SoundFlower to fix some of my audio delay issues (using voodooHDA), other than that it's running great with a Vanilla Kernal, no DSTD and yea, it's fast! :)

For grins I tried the dsdt.aml from you boot cd and got an immediate KP, so I deleted it and stuck to what's works

anyway, thx again for the great guide!

Hey guys, I looked through this thread and didnt see anyone with my particular problem.

I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro L650 (Core i5 450M, 4GB RAM) which has similar specs to the HP series talked about in these guides.

Unfortunately when I use the 1.15 boot cd I get a "Can't find mach_kernel" message and it goes back to the boot selection screen. From what I've read I should be able to hit F8 and type in some options that should get me past my issue. Any help is greatly appreciated

Hello WoodroweBones,

Getting OS X to work on a PC based machine (especially a laptop), is very hardware specific. My guides and Boot CD are very specific to not just HP hardware, but our current models. If the guides and CD would work on your Toshiba, that would be very interesting. Who makes your machine's BIOS? If not InSyde, then try NOT using a modified kernel.

If it doesn't work, sorry, but you can probably find another method that will work for that machine, so try finding a Toshiba thread for your machine, as this one is an HP.

Best of luck to you.

I've done a bunch of tests and investigation on the brightness slider and I think this one will be tricky to get working because you need to have the right bits in the DSDT, get the Apple kexts to think the display has a backlight, etc.

As for the hot/HP keys, some are generated via the regular keyboard interrupt and others are controlled via the EC. I think I've found a datasheet for the EC used in the DV8 via your internal "guts" pictures (thanks!) so there might be hope for those as well. If needed, a custom kext can bridge between the EC/DSDT to make it all work..

That is likely the one Slice created. I'm going to use his a basis as he's already got code in there to make Asus hotkeys work and I'm just going to rip that out and replace with HP keys. I've got his code now and I just need to create a new SVN project, compile a debug version and see what keys I can get working...

Yes, it took me forever to determine that VoodooHDA was randomly locking up my system (I think there are issues if that driver shares interrupts with the graphics driver as it does on my DV8). That is partially why I'm compiling/building my own drivers and I'm a little behind you guys in the 64-bit stuff...

Other than the brightness issue, this is all really great, encouraging news Gsly. :|

I'm really happy that I did take all those pictures and post, as that was one of my intents; hoping detailed info about some of the chips might be helpful in the future, in the right hands and minds of course. :)

We are all behind you 100% and greatly anticipating your successes. These will be awesome additions to the new guides and Boot CD! Let us know when you want us to test something or provide you with any info we might be able to.

Thanks for everything too!

yea, I've heard about those. My video is nVidia 8600M GS that has been revived or "cooked" by my father in law, he buys the dead video HP's on EBAY and "cooks" them back to life, mine is one of those. . .

well it all went well, I installed snow leopard 10.6 and updated to 10.6.5 right off the bat, I used tonymacx86's [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] to install chameleon and enable audo/video/wifi kexts (I had to get a DW1940 for wifi & flash the BIOS),

the only real problem I'm having is it's running kind of hot and the fan's are always running, and I also installed SoundFlower to fix some of my audio delay issues (using voodooHDA), other than that it's running great with a Vanilla Kernal, no DSTD and yea, it's fast! :)

For grins I tried the dsdt.aml from you boot cd and got an immediate KP, so I deleted it and stuck to what's works

anyway, thx again for the great guide!

Great info!

What is your uncle's eBay ID and how much does he charge for that? If it's not too much, I would have him fix this one as it's useless at this point.

You will need to customize a DSDT for your machine to get the fans and SpeedStep to work properly. You will use the program DSDTSE to do this. With more tweaking, you will most likely end up with a great Hac!

If I get my machine brought back to life, maybe we can work together then to get them running near perfect OS X.

Great info!

What is your uncle's eBay ID and how much does he charge for that? If it's not too much, I would have him fix this one as it's useless at this point.

You will need to customize a DSDT for your machine to get the fans and SpeedStep to work properly. You will use the program DSDTSE to do this. With more tweaking, you will most likely end up with a great Hac!

If I get my machine brought back to life, maybe we can work together then to get them running near perfect OS X.

that'd be sweet! I don't know his ID off hand, lemme talk to him 1st, I'm sure he wouldn't mind cookin another motherboard.

I tried doing using the DSDT gui edit with no luck, I'll search for DSDTSE in the meantime, thx again for your help! :)

EDIT: Ok, I got the editor, v. 1.4.3 I have no clue what I'm doing here. . .lol

DOUBLE EDIT: Ok, I just installed VoodooPowerMini.kext from superhai and using Temperature Monitor I went from:

CPU Core 1: 65℃

CPU Core 2: 67℃

to

CPU Core 1: 48℃

CPU Core 2: 48℃

yahoo!

I tried like hell (for a few years even), to get OS X working on it, and was never able to. I would be very interested to hear from you if you are able, and how much of the guide and boot CD you are able to use with it.

Hi Mammoth,

I have dv9040 with Nvidia 7600GO on board, I reflowed it twice, after first time last for about one month, with second time I added copper shims under GPU and CPU (well, actually I sanded down one pence coins:) and thats it, for nearly one year I have no problems at all with it, and Im very happily running OSX on it which btw is very easy to install on this machine.

To run Vanilia Install CD you just need turn off AHCI mode in BIOS (after installation and DSDT modification you can turn it back on), Linux DSDT dump and 2kexts (FakeSMC, PS2keyboard)

Reflowing process is not that scary and actually very easy to apply, I followed timing guide that you can watch here

I tried doing using the DSDT gui edit with no luck, I'll search for DSDTSE in the meantime, thx again for your help! :)

Hi ptesone,

try to create DSDT using Ubuntu LiveCD, have a look at this guide, it helped me a lot when I was starting fiddling with DSDT

that'd be sweet! I don't know his ID off hand, lemme talk to him 1st, I'm sure he wouldn't mind cookin another motherboard.

DOUBLE EDIT: Ok, I just installed VoodooPowerMini.kext from superhai and using Temperature Monitor I went from:

CPU Core 1: 65℃

CPU Core 2: 67℃

to

CPU Core 1: 48℃

CPU Core 2: 48℃

yahoo!

Awesome! Looks like you are on the right track! All this dv9000 talk reminded me that I started a dv9000 thread way in 2007, and I just checked and it's still going strong! Here is the link to it as many there are those there that really help you with some aspects of it. I bet someone has already created a DSDT for it by now that you could use:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=41447

Keep it up! :)

Hi Mammoth,

I have dv9040 with Nvidia 7600GO on board, I reflowed it twice, after first time last for about one month, with second time I added copper shims under GPU and CPU (well, actually I sanded down one pence coins:) and thats it, for nearly one year I have no problems at all with it, and Im very happily running OSX on it which btw is very easy to install on this machine.

To run Vanilia Install CD you just need turn off AHCI mode in BIOS (after installation and DSDT modification you can turn it back on), Linux DSDT dump and 2kexts (FakeSMC, PS2keyboard)

Reflowing process is not that scary and actually very easy to apply, I followed timing guide that you can watch here

Hi ptesone,

try to create DSDT using Ubuntu LiveCD, have a look at this guide, it helped me a lot when I was starting fiddling with DSDT

Thanks for all the great info, really! :D Ptesone also gave me great info and there is a class action law suite against HP over this, so everyone who got screwed by HP on this needs to join the suite to get some money back.

Here is the link Ptesone was kind enough to share with me (Thanks again Ptesone)!

Thanks Doomer0,

Great request. Do you know what the difference is? What BIOS is on those machines? Is it InSyde or something else? Or do you know if it's a DSDT and/or smbios issue? There should only be slight differences. Could you list the specs of that other machine or even a link to the specs? If not too difficult, I would like to add the files and info in the guides that might allow more machines to work.

AFAIK, it's because the processor i5-430M is newer than other i5 and it is supported only in OS X 10.6.3.1. And Prasy's Empire EFI include this kernel. At least, this is what is written here: http://prasys.info/2010/07/empireefi-1-085...-10-6-3-is-out/. However you can contact directly him, actually i think he is working with Nawcom to a new boot cd (nawcom mod cd) that seem very interesting (look here for more: http://blog.nawcom.com ).

Anyway, in my case the bios is Insyde and you can find the specs here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...020&lang=en ; but i don't think they are important

Awesome! Looks like you are on the right track! All this dv9000 talk reminded me that I started a dv9000 thread way in 2007, and I just checked and it's still going strong! Here is the link to it as many there are those there that really help you with some aspects of it. I bet someone has already created a DSDT for it by now that you could use:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=41447

Keep it up! :blink:

hehe you bet! I'm just trying give back what others have worked so hard to make.

I even created a little guide for the dv9000 series here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=239067

Thanks for all the great info, really! :D Ptesone also gave me great info and there is a class action law suite against HP over this, so everyone who got screwed by HP on this needs to join the suite to get some money back.

Here is the link Ptesone was kind enough to share with me (Thanks again Ptesone)!

yea, and if you do a quick search on youtube for hp re-flow you'll get a bunch more! :)

@ Yehia Amer

Thanks for the boot cd.Great work,has made life a lot easier with OS Xing.

I have a couple of things that you could probably clear.I am using your dsdt.aml and kexts for audio from the boot cd.I have used your files for the 10.6.5 update,till 10.6.4 i was on other stuff.

My system spec are as follows:

Model : HP Pavilion dv6t-2300

Boot loader:Chameleon_2.0_RC5_r651

CPU: Intel Core i7-720QM @1.6GHz, SC turbo up to 2.80GHz

RAM: 4GB DDR3 Dual Channel @ 1333 MHz

GFX card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 320M with CUDA, 1GB PCI-e (10DE-0A2D)

HD: 320GB SATA 7200RPM Hitachi

Sound: IDT High Definition Audio CODEC w/ NVIDIA High Definition Audio (111D-7603) w/ (10DE-000A)

Ethernet: Realtek RTL8168D/8111D Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20)

Wireless: Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6200 AGN

(not working)

Chipset: Northbridge: Intel PM55, Southbridge: Intel ICH9M

OS: Currently Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.5 Update Retail with WIN 7 DUAL BOOT

Prior to updating to 10.6.5 my boot time was around 35-40 sec,but with 10.6.5 it has increased to about one and a half minute.I would like to fix that if possible.

As you would be aware that Hp released an update for the dv-6 series of laptops.Current release is F.1D (which is what mine is right now)

I want to know :

1.what bios version do you have currently and with what bios version was the dsdt patched?

2.If the dsdt is for the previous version F.1C do i need any modifications for the dsdt patching or repatch it.(I currently have no issues except for a longer boot time as compared to 10.6.4).

3.What are the kext that should be in the /Extra/Extensions folder with your DSDT.AML.Currently I hav the following ones only:

AppleACPIPS2NuB.kext

FakeSMC.kext

VoodoPS2Controller.kext

VoodooBatterymanager

IDT kext form your boot cd.

I have made no changes to anything in the /S/L/E except for the patched AppleHDA.kext for the audio.I am using Taptun's 10.6.5 kernel and have not removed AppleProfilefamily.kext.

Thanks in advance.

@Mammoth : Thanks for all your hardwork and resources provided.Much appreciated

Good Luck with the 1.20 Guide.

You could probably add the Lapic fix in unresolved issues. Hoping Meklort or someone else would fix it with either a Chamaleon fix or some dsdt patch so we can use vanilla kernel in the future

Hello Sslevski,

Thanks for posting your specs! That makes it easy for me to provide you an answer.

Who is the BIOS maker? If it's NOT Insyde, you may be able to use the vanilla kernel, so you would skip that part of the guides. You will need to do something different for the audio and maybe the video. So I think the answer is yes, but with a little tweaking.

Thanks for the answer Mammoth! The BIOS maker is Phoenix Technologies Ltd. Recently I came across a guide if you have some spare time can you check it and tell me if it is ok? Here is the guide. As I can see the notebook in the guide is almost like the one I have. Looking forward to hearing from you.

AFAIK, it's because the processor i5-430M is newer than other i5 and it is supported only in OS X 10.6.3.1. And Prasy's Empire EFI include this kernel. At least, this is what is written here: http://prasys.info/2010/07/empireefi-1-085...-10-6-3-is-out/. However you can contact directly him, actually i think he is working with Nawcom to a new boot cd (nawcom mod cd) that seem very interesting (look here for more: http://blog.nawcom.com ).

Anyway, in my case the bios is Insyde and you can find the specs here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...020&lang=en ; but i don't think they are important

I think they mean supported in 10.6.3 and later. If that's the only case, then v1.20 should support this. I will have some beta testers this time, so maybe you will be able to check this for me when it's ready.

Thanks for the answer Mammoth! The BIOS maker is Phoenix Technologies Ltd. Recently I came across a guide if you have some spare time can you check it and tell me if it is ok? Here is the guide. As I can see the notebook in the guide is almost like the one I have. Looking forward to hearing from you.

I would say that guide should work, or you may be able to mine and just substitute the parts that are specific for your machine.

Hi there Shef_city_techno,

First, if you could edit out your double posting, that would be "gooder". :censored2:

Second, you're a very welcome! I really appreciate each person personally when he or she takes the time to show their appreciation. So thank you. :D

1) Have you tried following the guides to the letter yet, or is that what you have been doing?

2) I tried to lookup the specs for your machine, but they are not listed. Could you post them? It would be a good idea to add them to your signature (like I have... you can see the specs for all 3 of my Hacs).

3) Who made the BIOS on your machine? Is it Insyde, Phoenix, other?

Thanks Doomer0,

Hi Mammoth and doomer0!! Thanks very much for replying and helping me with this install, I've now got further in the last week than I have in almost 6 months on this laptop!!

Thanks very much to doomer0 for recommending EmpireEFI 10.6.3 this boot cd works with cpus=1 busratio=17 to install osx. I have been installing onto an external USB drive as I managed to break one dv7 laptop by repeatedly trying to install OSX (using every distro/method I could find) until it eventually wouldn't turn on so I have been a little apprehensive to install OSX directly onto the internal drive on my new model:)

Mammoth, sorry I got the model number wrong it is actually a dv7-3111ea, its a core i5 430m with geForce 105m 512mb graphics, 4gb memory. The bios is 'Insyde (04/01/10)'.

Using the Mammoth bootdisk it would just reset but with EmpireEFI I could load the installer but it says 'installation failed' at then end of installing saying 'cannot boot startup disk use startup disk utility'. I'm not quite sure what that message really means as it does seem to install correctly.

I then loaded the installation using the EmpireEFI cd with cpus=1 busratio=17 and OSX does load!! Intro video plays fine (no sound but not bothered about that yet!!:) and then the system does load but it hangs for ageeeessssss and looks like it has crashed. At first I thought it had just crashed straight away as I could move the mouse around but not select anything. After approx 10-15 minutes the system starts to respond and actually works fully, I'm not sure if this is to do with installing to a USB drive or what really. Either way when the system starts responding I was able to follow your guide and install Chameleon to the Cham partition on my USB drive and also install the legacy_kernel. Now I can boot directly off the usb drive with full graphics acceleration!! WayHEY!! I've seriously been trying to get this to work for months and months with very little joy I am so grateful!

I haven't tried applying trackpad fix yet or fixing audio etc. I am going to try that later today but I wanted to say thankyou so far!!!!

One question, have you ever managed to get the volume and playback buttons working? When I press them in OSX it comes up with a grayed out speaker image on the screen like I am trying to adjust the volume but with a line through it like it won't work.

Also in information it now says I am running at 3ghz (was 2.4ghz before) with 1 processor 2 cores. I will have to install some benchmarking software to test it properly I will report back when I do.

Thanks very much again, I am currently posting this from my windows install but I soon hope to be using OSX as my main system on this laptop!!:)

Thank you for all of your hard work Mammoth and whoever involved with this. My brand new DV8 is running SL with Win7 flawlessly! But of course, mankind is insatiable because of its nature :) So I have 2 small questions:

PS. Before my questions, I read almost every post in this thread but it's a 31 page long... So I could have missed a few posts which might have answers in it.

1) My graphics card is working great. I can watch HD movies, play 3d games etc. But in my graphics card info, there is nothing about QE/CI. Is this normal or am I missing something? Here is the info:

nVidia GeForce GT 230M:

Chipset Model:	nVidia GeForce GT 230M
 Type:	GPU
 Bus:	PCIe
 PCIe Lane Width:	x16
 VRAM (Total):	1024 MB
 Vendor:	NVIDIA (0x10de)
 Device ID:	0x0a28
 Revision ID:	0x00a2
 Displays:
Display:
 Resolution:	1920 x 1080
 Pixel Depth:	32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
 Main Display:	Yes
 Mirror:	Off
 Online:	Yes
 Built-In:	Yes
Display Connector:

2) Sleep was not working when I installed SL for the first time and followed your guide to the end. I copied SleepEnabler.kext to /C/E/E and voila, it's working! The thing is, my PC doesn't go to sleep when I close the lid. I found and tried a DSDT patch solution for that but no luck... Any solid solution for that?

Again, thank you for all your efforts, I really appreciate!

Hi Mammoth,

I have an hp pavilion dv5 1199ef. (Specs here)

I follow your guide, I stop after the combo update 10.6.4 and the Mbp software 1.3.

After, I follow the instructions of the Macbook pro 18 project (here) to make my DSDT.

I did not make some important changes, expects some kexts, installing the kernel of taptun and update to 10.6.5.

My BIOS is the latest recommend on the hp website. Rev 3.5

I post my DSDT on this topic during summer, if you want to take a look on it.

Hope I can help you.

Once again, sorry for my english.

1) My graphics card is working great. I can watch HD movies, play 3d games etc. But in my graphics card info, there is nothing about QE/CI. Is this normal or am I missing something? Here is the info:

nVidia GeForce GT 230M:

Chipset Model: nVidia GeForce GT 230M

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0a28

Revision ID: 0x00a2

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Built-In: Yes

Display Connector:

Hello Spawnedc,

Really happy the guides have worked so well for you! :D The more people we have using OS X on these systems, the more help there is for all of us. Thanks for joining us!

Really great question about QE/CI, and I'm surprised no one else has asked it until now. The two quick, easy ways to see if it's working is if the "Apple" icon at the top left of the screen is BLACK, and if the menu bar is "see through".

There used to be entries in System Profiler showing when Quartz Extreme and Core Image was working, but not any more, not even on real Macs. I just checked a MBP 6,2 and it doesn't show either. Maybe it shows up when one of them is not working.

On the sleep issues, there others here who have looked at that more closely and can provide help with that. I will be looking into ironing out the sleep issues however for the v1.20 release.

Hi Mammoth,

I have an hp pavilion dv5 1199ef. (Specs here)

I follow your guide, I stop after the combo update 10.6.4 and the Mbp software 1.3.

After, I follow the instructions of the Macbook pro 18 project (here) to make my DSDT.

I did not make some important changes, expects some kexts, installing the kernel of taptun and update to 10.6.5.

My BIOS is the latest recommend on the hp website. Rev 3.5

I post my DSDT on this topic during summer, if you want to take a look on it.

Hope I can help you.

Once again, sorry for my english.

If I understand you correctly, you are saying you were able, with a few changes, to get it all working on your dv5, right? If so, that's great! ; )

Others with the dv5 can be reassured it will work for them to.

Thanks 8)

Hello Spawnedc,

Really happy the guides have worked so well for you! :thumbsup_anim: The more people we have using OS X on these systems, the more help there is for all of us. Thanks for joining us!

Really great question about QE/CI, and I'm surprised no one else has asked it until now. The two quick, easy ways to see if it's working is if the "Apple" icon at the top left of the screen is BLACK, and if the menu bar is "see through".

There used to be entries in System Profiler showing when Quartz Extreme and Core Image was working, but not any more, not even on real Macs. I just checked a MBP 6,2 and it doesn't show either. Maybe it shows up when one of them is not working.

On the sleep issues, there others here who have looked at that more closely and can provide help with that. I will be looking into ironing out the sleep issues however for the v1.20 release.

Hi Mammoth and thank you for the quick reply. Good news, my Apple logo on the top left is black and menu bar is translucent. I just realized today that my external VGA output is working as well. It does not detect when you plugin but if you click "detect displays" in system preferences -> display, it successfully detects the external monitor and works great!

It would be great if anyone could help me with the sleep issues. It's not a big deal but as I told you before, mankind... :whistle: I'll be looking forward to see 1.20 is out :) Thank you ^^

If I understand you correctly, you are saying you were able, with a few changes, to get it all working on your dv5, right? If so, that's great! ; )

Others with the dv5 can be reassured it will work for them to.

Thanks 8)

I was answering your questions, because I haven't your issue in System Profiler, Diagnostics.