[Guide] HP DV8, DV7, DV6, & DV5, 10.6.4 Easy, Comprehensive Installation

Mammoth

v2.00 Installation, Update, and Mammoth Installation media  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Is v2.00 something you are interested in and would use?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Which are you most interested in?

• v2.00 Installation Guides
    • v2.00 Post-installation Update Guide

1,266 posts in this topic

@mammoth: a thing that i really would like to have in the 1.20 guide is the possibility to install OS X maintaining, for example, the Windows installation (or other OS installation), without the need of norton ghost or other backup tools.

Hi Mammoth and thank you for the quick reply. Good news, my Apple logo on the top left is black and menu bar is translucent. I just realized today that my external VGA output is working as well. It does not detect when you plugin but if you click "detect displays" in system preferences -> display, it successfully detects the external monitor and works great!

It would be great if anyone could help me with the sleep issues. It's not a big deal but as I told you before, mankind... :( I'll be looking forward to see 1.20 is out ;) Thank you ^^

Hi Spawnedc,

Try this; with OS X fully booted, press and hold the "Fn" key and then hit F5 (with moon for "Sleep"). Your machine should go to into sleep. To wake up, press and release the power button.

Does this work, and is this helpful to you?

I was answering your questions, because I haven't your issue in System Profiler, Diagnostics.

Ahhh yes! :P I was confused. Thanks for clarifying and for providing the great information. Are machines are very different, but perhaps it is something in you DSDT or may because you did not apply the MacBook Pro Update; (is it correct that you did not apply the MBP 1.3 Update?)

I will experiment with your information and see if I can resolve this issue.

Thank you very much!

Hi Spawnedc,

Try this; with OS X fully booted, press and hold the "Fn" key and then hit F5 (with moon for "Sleep"). Your machine should go to into sleep. To wake up, press and release the power button.

Does this work, and is this helpful to you?

Hey Mammoth,

Yes it's working and it's better than clicking around to make my pc sleep :D Actually I don't have any issues to make my pc sleep. The only thing is, it's not go to sleep when I close the lid.

Also there is one thing that I should mention about:

DV8 users should have 2 HDDs with their pc. In your tutorial we only use one of them. I had to remove one of the HDDs to make your tutorial work, because I had a lot of issues with 2. After following your tutorial, I attache my second HDD without a problem. Besides, I partitioned that disk as 2 partitions and I'm using one of the partitions as Time Machine disk, which is working flawlessly.

I'm saying these, because it might inspire someone who didn't think to use the Time Machine.

@mammoth: a thing that i really would like to have in the 1.20 guide is the possibility to install OS X maintaining, for example, the Windows installation (or other OS installation), without the need of norton ghost or other backup tools.

I don't know how this could be viable. When a system comes with Windows 7 installed, the entire drive space is used, so there is no place to install OS X. Some kind of partitioning sofware would be needed such as TrueImage to manipulate the partitions. That's way out of scope for most people, plus would have to have that software too.

The only other way is installed on another drive (USB, eSATA, or 2nd internal SATA). There are too many combinations and potential issues to be able to guarantee a clean, working install, and the amount of documentation would be crushing for me, I'm already overloaded and shouldn't be spending time on this stuff as it is but...

Suffice it to say that it can be done, but people will have to figure that one out on their own.

If however someone does this, and documents the process well enough, then I might add it to the guide (kind of sharing the load, which would make it more doable for me).

Hey Mammoth,

Yes it's working and it's better than clicking around to make my pc sleep :) Actually I don't have any issues to make my pc sleep. The only thing is, it's not go to sleep when I close the lid.

Also there is one thing that I should mention about:

DV8 users should have 2 HDDs with their pc. In your tutorial we only use one of them. I had to remove one of the HDDs to make your tutorial work, because I had a lot of issues with 2. After following your tutorial, I attache my second HDD without a problem. Besides, I partitioned that disk as 2 partitions and I'm using one of the partitions as Time Machine disk, which is working flawlessly.

I'm saying these, because it might inspire someone who didn't think to use the Time Machine.

I'm planning on implementing lid close, so we'll see if we can get it.

Ahh, good point. I only got one drive in mine, so I never saw that issue. I will add that to the guide.

I think I do say in there somewhere though to remove all drives... but I will make sure it is more clear and mention the internal 2nd drive too.

Time Machine is a GREAT use of that second drive bay, for sure. What I would like to do is get a Solid State Drive for my OS drive, then the other drive would be for all my data. However, adding in other drives is going cause the battery to be used up faster than it already is, and that's why I have never added one.... however, I don't run on only battery that much, I use mine more as a portable computer (always with power), than a laptop, so maybe I should reconsider this.

Thanks, good addition. ;)

I don't know how this could be viable. When a system comes with Windows 7 installed, the entire drive space is used, so there is no place to install OS X. Some kind of partitioning sofware would be needed such as TrueImage to manipulate the partitions. That's way out of scope for most people, plus would have to have that software too.

The only other way is installed on another drive (USB, eSATA, or 2nd internal SATA). There are too many combinations and potential issues to be able to guarantee a clean, working install, and the amount of documentation would be crushing for me, I'm already overloaded and shouldn't be spending time on this stuff as it is but...

Suffice it to say that it can be done, but people will have to figure that one out on their own.

If however someone does this, and documents the process well enough, then I might add it to the guide (kind of sharing the load, which would make it more doable for me).

it doesn't need a partitioning software because windows 7 and vista already have a built-in functionality in Control Panel->System and Maintenance->Administrative Tools->Computer Management->Disk Management. I always use it and it work perfectly. Then, you can format the partition in HFS with the disk utility during the installation of OS X.

But of course i understand you, it's a lot of work and unluckly i'm super busy too (and probably not able to help since i'm not expert in this matter). But it would be a very useful feature.

it doesn't need a partitioning software because windows 7 and vista already have a built-in functionality in Control Panel->System and Maintenance->Administrative Tools->Computer Management->Disk Management. I always use it and it work perfectly. Then, you can format the partition in HFS with the disk utility during the installation of OS X.

But of course i understand you, it's a lot of work and unluckly i'm super busy too (and probably not able to help since i'm not expert in this matter). But it would be a very useful feature.

Thanks Doomer0, I wasn't aware of that new functionality. If that's the case, I will look into that because that would be a lot faster and easier (and I like that). :)

Thanks for sharing.

Hi folks,

for lid sleep try to add

Notify (SLPB, 0x80)

to your Device (LID0) section in DSDT so it looks like that:

Device (LID0)
       {
           Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0C0D"))
           Name (LSTS, Zero)
           Method (_LID, 0, NotSerialized)
           {
               If (ECON)
               {
                   If (LEqual (^^PCI0.LPCB.EC0.ECLS, One))
                   {
                       Store (Zero, LSTS)
                       Notify (SLPB, 0x80)
                   }
                   Else
                   {
                       Store (One, LSTS)
                   }

If (IGDS)
                   {
                       Store (LSTS, LIDS)
                       Store (LSTS, ^^PCI0.GFX0.CLID)
                   }

Return (LSTS)
               }
               Else
               {
                   If (IGDS)
                   {
                       Store (One, LIDS)
                   }

If (IGDS)
                   {
                       Store (LIDS, ^^PCI0.GFX0.CLID)
                   }

Return (One)
               }
           }
       }

About sleep with lid, see my post here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...1653&st=586

I always sleep by closing the lid.

Thanks The X,

I haven't had a chance to try this yet, but just looked at your previous post in the link. I have a questions; you said "I have found the setting in the file that causes the problem, it's the SMsystemversion", but when I look through your listed smbios.plist, there is no entry for SMsystemversion.

Would you mind clarifying this and what the working value is?

Thanks!

Hi folks,

for lid sleep try to add

Notify (SLPB, 0x80)

to your Device (LID0) section in DSDT so it looks like that:

Device (LID0)
       {
           Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0C0D"))
           Name (LSTS, Zero)
           Method (_LID, 0, NotSerialized)
           {
               If (ECON)
               {
                   If (LEqual (^^PCI0.LPCB.EC0.ECLS, One))
                   {
                       Store (Zero, LSTS)
                       Notify (SLPB, 0x80)
                   }
                   Else
                   {
                       Store (One, LSTS)
                   }

If (IGDS)
                   {
                       Store (LSTS, LIDS)
                       Store (LSTS, ^^PCI0.GFX0.CLID)
                   }

Return (LSTS)
               }
               Else
               {
                   If (IGDS)
                   {
                       Store (One, LIDS)
                   }

If (IGDS)
                   {
                       Store (LIDS, ^^PCI0.GFX0.CLID)
                   }

Return (One)
               }
           }
       }

Hi swavek,

I just tried that solution but somehow it seems my DSDT.aml file does not update. Here's what I do:

1. I downloaded DSDT patcher 1.0.1e and edited dsdt_fixed.txt in Debug folder
  2. After that I save the changes and close the file.
  3. I execute DSDT Patcher executable and select 0 - Darwin
  4. I copy over the new dsdt.aml file to /C/E and restart.

But nothing changes. Besides, when I open dsdt_fixed.txt again, my changes were gone! Am I doing something wrong?

About sleep with lid, see my post here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...1653&st=586

I always sleep by closing the lid.

Hi "The X",

I replaced the smbios.plist file's content with yours (in /C/E folder) and saved it and restart. Nothing's changed :P

Probably I'm doing something wrong. Any suggestions?

Hi swavek,

I just tried that solution but somehow it seems my DSDT.aml file does not update. Here's what I do:

1. I downloaded DSDT patcher 1.0.1e and edited dsdt_fixed.txt in Debug folder
  2. After that I save the changes and close the file.
  3. I execute DSDT Patcher executable and select 0 - Darwin
  4. I copy over the new dsdt.aml file to /C/E and restart.

But nothing changes. Besides, when I open dsdt_fixed.txt again, my changes were gone! Am I doing something wrong?

Hi "The X",

I replaced the smbios.plist file's content with yours (in /C/E folder) and saved it and restart. Nothing's changed :(

Probably I'm doing something wrong. Any suggestions?

Hi spawnedc

use DSDTSE to edit your DSDT, click compile DSDT when you done and copy dsdt.aml file to your chameleon DSDT location

So I tried the smbios.plist you posted and lid sleep still isn't working on my test. Would you mind posting your DSDT so I can try it with that?

Thanks!

:rolleyes:

Hi Mammoth,

Just a quick thanks for your excellent guide, I also have sleep working on my dv8-1200.

Please find attatched my DSDT, hope it helps.

On a side note, my media keys play, FF, RW alo work as does my remote in front row.

Thanks also to Taptun, Kizwan, and YehiaAmer and other nameless stars who have made this a great project!

I'm trying to fiddle with getting screen brightness to work with PNLF, but struggling so anybody who is smarter might point me in the right direction :P

edit: Just to add, I'm running 10.6.5 and taptun's 64 bit kernel.

dsdt.aml.zip

Hi Mammoth,

Just a quick thanks for your excellent guide, I also have sleep working on my dv8-1200.

Please find attatched my DSDT, hope it helps.

On a side note, my media keys play, FF, RW alo work as does my remote in front row.

Thanks also to Taptun, Kizwan, and YehiaAmer and other nameless stars who have made this a great project!

I'm trying to fiddle with getting screen brightness to work with PNLF, but struggling so anybody who is smarter might point me in the right direction :)

edit: Just to add, I'm running 10.6.5 and taptun's 64 bit kernel.

Thanks Sammity,

Yep, with your DSDT I get the sleepy lid and media keys.

One thing I've never got to work is my remote. This is the one I have:

post-81851-1291783269_thumb.jpg

What's yours look like? I have thought that maybe the one I have just doesn't work, but I've never had that confirmed.

Glad to hear my DSDT has enabled the sleepy lid and media keys for you.

My remote is identical looking to yours but the part number may be different, the details on the back of my remote:

RC2332201/01B

3139 228 54781

HP SPS : 488435-001

HP RMN : HSTNN-PR19

If there is any other information or testing you require please let me know, thanks.

Hi All,

I have been following this post since long time today i made it to share my experience...

First of all thanks to everyone contributing here :D ... We really have pool of experts here...

Its time to share my experience... Better late than never... ;)

I own a DV8t-1100 and have SL running just perfect n flawless...

1. Sleep / Wakeup on lid close/open...

2. Audio with almost no issues...with auto switching to output jacks...

3. Speed step with system running cooler...

4. nVidia GeForce GT 230M with 1920 x 1080 resolution

5. Quick boot time

6. Geekbench scoring 6600+

7. All Hp media keys (Play, Stop, FF, RR, Mute, Vol+, Vol-)

8. SL 10.6.5 64-bit with i7_mobile_kernel... Thanks Taptun :unsure:

Some random issues...

1. Some time (very rare) system dosent sleep on lid close

2. KP on boot... but boots fine next time... (Known issue with Voodo Battery)

3. Some times KP on power cord in/out.

Desperately needs to get rid of VoodoBattery kext :D ... Hope gsly comes with the new kext soon :unsure:

Things which do not work...

1. Wifi

2. Card reader

3. Finger sensor (It dosent really matter though...)

Thanks Sammity,

Yep, with your DSDT I get the sleepy lid and media keys.

One thing I've never got to work is my remote. This is the one I have:

post-81851-1291783269_thumb.jpg

What's yours look like? I have thought that maybe the one I have just doesn't work, but I've never had that confirmed.

Hi Mammoth,

I guess we have exactly same system... DV8t-1100 (VF836AV)

Just wanted to share my experience with the remote. Initially i never got this working... but suddenly i realized it was working on 10.6.4... All i did was replaced the kernel (Dont know if it has any thing to do with it) some time back... Not sure it was Taptun, yehia Amer or Kizwan who posted it but i can attach the kernel if you want to check out.

It can also be an issue with the audio kext...

Now the bad news is its no longer working after i upgraded to 10.6.5... :D

All i changed was the kernel & the audio kext...

Hope this information helps you...

To All,

Can any one confirm if they have the remote working on 10.6.5...?

If so please post the audio kext & kernel here so we can test them...

Once again thanks to every one for such a wonderful support...

Hi,

I've got my remote running with 10.6.5 and Taptun's second release of his 64bit kernel and Kizwan's modified AppleHDA. But I am having some sound assertions on boot which I can't quite work out.

I've spent most of the day fiddling with the DSDT to get the brightness working but am failing with Error 4047 - Initializer list too long ^.

I'll keep at it :(

Hi,

I've got my remote running with 10.6.5 and Taptun's second release of his 64bit kernel and Kizwan's modified AppleHDA. But I am having some sound assertions on boot which I can't quite work out.

I've spent most of the day fiddling with the DSDT to get the brightness working but am failing with Error 4047 - Initializer list too long ^.

I'll keep at it :D

Hey Sammity!

Keep at it! If you can get that brightness control to work, you will be a star for sure! ;)

What BIOS version are you on?

EVERYONE: Does anyone have their remote working on a DV8t-1100 (VF836AV) under 10.6.5?

Hey Sammity!

Keep at it! If you can get that brightness control to work, you will be a star for sure! ;)

What BIOS version are you on?

EVERYONE: Does anyone have their remote working on a DV8t-1100 (VF836AV) under 10.6.5?

Hey Mammoth,

I have DV8 1110ea (VY144EA ABU). Should I have a remote controller? Atm I don't have one. If I should, then I need to go to the place that I bought my laptop and start some fight :D

Hey Mammoth,

I have DV8 1110ea (VY144EA ABU). Should I have a remote controller? Atm I don't have one. If I should, then I need to go to the place that I bought my laptop and start some fight ;)

Check the left-hand side PCI-Express Card slot to see if it's in there. I think most of us had to pay like $15 extra for them when we ordered/bought our machines.

Hey Mammoth,

I'm running Bios ver. f.25, the latest as I understand it.

As others before me I've added the PNLF string and have the brightness slider, but no go after that.

Others far smarter than me will hopefully be making progress ;)

Hi Mamotth,

I have been trying your installation a lot all work with varying degrees of success. Running 10.6.3 Legacy_Kernel I get full QE/CI and can get LAN working with 4 cores showing up in activity mon. I cannot get sound. If I try and follow the post installation guide I can install the 64 bit kernel and it works but only 2 cores show up lights in activity mon, the first and third boxes? Also I still get no sound and the trackpad stops working. Have you ever experienced that?

For the minute I've been running the Legacy_Kernel as I can still use the trackpad and get 4 cores running. This is essentially running fine on a USB hard drive, I can use a USB soundcard and have installed software on it and it all works surprisingly well considering its running everything off the same USB drive! I would love to get the 64 bit kernel and internal sound working though :D I tried voodoohda with the latest installer from http://code.google.com/p/voodoohda/ but it causes kernel panic on booting and OS will no longer load.

Using the legacy kernel I am getting a geekbench score of around 4300-4400 am I right in thinking that should be higher?

Also for anyone wanting to install on a usb drive don't use any more than 3 partitions on the USB drive (that's what I found anyway) as OSX won't load properly.

Cheers, looking forward to trying 10.6.5 soon!!:angel: