[Guide] HP DV8, DV7, DV6, & DV5, 10.6.4 Easy, Comprehensive Installation

Mammoth

v2.00 Installation, Update, and Mammoth Installation media  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Is v2.00 something you are interested in and would use?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Which are you most interested in?

• v2.00 Installation Guides
    • v2.00 Post-installation Update Guide

1,266 posts in this topic

Okay, I made my kernel to 10.6.5

Everything works, be sure to backup two kexts:

- CHUDKernLib.kext.back

- AppleProfileFamily.kext.back

Taptun :angel:

I have now updated to 10.6.5 and everything seems to be working very well, thanks Taptun! After installing the combo update, I did not have a CHUDKernLib.kext in my /S/L/E/, no clue why not, but things are working so I won't question it.

Here's how I did:

* Backup old mach_kernel

* Installed the combo update

* Took a backup of AppleProfileFamily.kext and deleted it from /S/L/E/

* Replaced mach_kernel with the new one from Taptun (see above)

* Rebooted

Almost everything worked right away. Due to my special audio setup, I had to replace AppleHDA.kext with the one from Amer's boot cd once again.

After that I still had issues with rebooting. The computer would hang on a black screen and I would have to force it off and turn it on again. I ran a permission repair in disk utility and after that that issue was sorted as well.

Hi,

everyone seems not to care enough abbout battery problems (voodobattery or other).

Could you please list replying here which bootloader are you using (which kind and exact version) , which voodoobattery or appleacpibattery kext are you using and may you please tell me if you have battery working also removing and putting ac-adapter out and in?

Thanks!

Mal

Hi,

everyone seems not to care enough abbout battery problems (voodobattery or other).

Could you please list replying here which bootloader are you using (which kind and exact version) , which voodoobattery or appleacpibattery kext are you using and may you please tell me if you have battery working also removing and putting ac-adapter out and in?

Thanks!

Mal

i defiantly care, but I don't think there's much we can do about it. I'm using voodoobattery and get random kernel panics when plugging/unplugging the power cord.

Hi,

Thanks!

Mal

I haven't tested plugging the power cord in/out, but I will do some tests later tonight.

EDIT: Did a few tests. So far I've tried disconnecting power chord, waiting a few minutes and plugging it back in, as well as putting the computer to sleep when the cord was plugged in, unplugging it and waking the computer. So far no issues. I may just have been lucky. I will do some more tests, and if I still have no issues, I will list my details.

I haven't tested plugging the power cord in/out, but I will do some tests later tonight.

EDIT: Did a few tests. So far I've tried disconnecting power chord, waiting a few minutes and plugging it back in, as well as putting the computer to sleep when the cord was plugged in, unplugging it and waking the computer. So far no issues. I may just have been lucky. I will do some more tests, and if I still have no issues, I will list my details.

Thanks for your tests The X!

Have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting it suddenly a few times ? it will panic at a certain point... please confirm that it happens to you too (or not).

thanks!

Mal

Alright, so I finally got OS X installed! biggrin.gif . The current guide I am on is the Third guide, where you install chameleon and make it bootable on its own partition. When you say copy the Extra folder. Which one do you mean? There are two Extra folders in the Installer folder. What I did was copy the Extra1.15 folder to the Cham partition and I renamed it to Extra. I then did all of the Terminal commands and made it bootable. I then installed the Legacy Kernal and I copied the com.apple.Boot.plist from /Installation/Legacy_kernel/ and and copied it over to the /Cham/Extra/ folder and replaced the existing one. I then ejected the CD and rebooted. Now this is what happens. I get to a screen where I can choose two things. These are my choices: "hd (0,3) OSX" and "hd (0,4) Windows FAT32". I highlight the OSX one and press enter. Well it just scrolls through some white text on a black screen and reboots and shows the screen again. I have tried -v, cpus=1 busratio=12. The same thing happens, my laptop just keeps restarting. Is there something that I did wrong?

-Thank You

EDIT: I have just tried a Repair Disk Permissions and a Repair Disk. this did not help solve my issue.

Thanks for your tests The X!

Have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting it suddenly a few times ? it will panic at a certain point... please confirm that it happens to you too (or not).

thanks!

Mal

I can confirm that if I disconnect and reconnect quickly repeatedly, I do get KP. But I wouldn't call that normal usage, so I think it works well enough for now. But there is indeed an issue. I haven't tested if it behaves differently without VoodooBattery, but I assume it does based on your posts.

Alright, so I finally got OS X installed! biggrin.gif . The current guide I am on is the Third guide, where you install chameleon and make it bootable on its own partition. When you say copy the Extra folder. Which one do you mean? There are two Extra folders in the Installer folder. What I did was copy the Extra1.15 folder to the Cham partition and I renamed it to Extra. I then did all of the Terminal commands and made it bootable. I then installed the Legacy Kernal and I copied the com.apple.Boot.plist from /Installation/Legacy_kernel/ and and copied it over to the /Cham/Extra/ folder and replaced the existing one. I then ejected the CD and rebooted. Now this is what happens. I get to a screen where I can choose two things. These are my choices: "hd (0,3) OSX" and "hd (0,4) Windows FAT32". I highlight the OSX one and press enter. Well it just scrolls through some white text on a black screen and reboots and shows the screen again. I have tried -v, cpus=1 busratio=12. The same thing happens, my laptop just keeps restarting. Is there something that I did wrong?

-Thank You

EDIT: I have just tried a Repair Disk Permissions and a Repair Disk. this did not help solve my issue.

Since you're using the legacy_kernel, try using the Extra folder instead of the Extra1.15. If I remember correctly, the Extra1.15 is for the updated mach_kernel. Also, make sure you run the ChamExtUp script. Another thing you can try is running Pfix in a terminal.

I have now updated to 10.6.5 and everything seems to be working very well, thanks Taptun! After installing the combo update, I did not have a CHUDKernLib.kext in my /S/L/E/, no clue why not, but things are working so I won't question it.

Here's how I did:

* Backup old mach_kernel

* Installed the combo update

* Took a backup of AppleProfileFamily.kext and deleted it from /S/L/E/

* Replaced mach_kernel with the new one from Taptun (see above)

* Rebooted

Almost everything worked right away. Due to my special audio setup, I had to replace AppleHDA.kext with the one from Amer's boot cd once again.

After that I still had issues with rebooting. The computer would hang on a black screen and I would have to force it off and turn it on again. I ran a permission repair in disk utility and after that that issue was sorted as well.

I have run into some pretty big issues after updating to 10.6.5. Not sure if it's the update, or if it's something else, but accelerated graphics, including HD video is not working well at all. Adding a widget to the dashboard does produce the ripple effect, and that is very smooth, but trying to play a HD trailer from Apple, or watching HD video in the browser is like watching a 1 FPS slideshow.

EDIT: I was able to fix the issue by deleting my smbios.plist. I am 99% positive it was working before I updated to 10.6.5, but I can't say that I'm 100% sure it was. I will continue to look into it to see if I can find a working smbios.plist.

Okay, I made my kernel to 10.6.5

Everything works, be sure to backup two kexts:

- CHUDKernLib.kext.back

- AppleProfileFamily.kext.back

Taptun ;)

Thank you, Taptun!

The kernel works on my DV7 after apple update to 10.6.5. Cheers, ;)

Hello all! First, thanks Taptun, you done a great job, two days since I am fully in 64bits and in 10.6.5.

So, I have a HP Pavillon dv5 1199ef.

Edit: I haven't follow the post installation guide that Mammoth done in august. That's why my com.apple.Boot.plist wasn't good. So if you follow this little guide for the update and if you done the post installation you wouldn't have to modify the plist.

Things what I done and issues.

1) I install the 10.6.5 combo update.

2) Backup the kexts.

For those who maybe don't know how to proceed:

In terminal.app:

sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/kext_to_change.kext /System/Library/Extensions/kext_to_change.kext.bak

3) Replace the Legacy_Kernel by taptun's one.

Go in /Cham/Extra and modify the com.apple.Boot.plist:

In Kernel: write mach_kernel instead of legagy_kernel.

(I didn't do that after installed the new kernel and rebooted so I had a big number of bugs, so do it before reboot)

After place taptun's kernel in your Desktop:

Always in terminal.app:

sudo -s

cp ~/Desktop/i7_mobile_kernel /

mv /legacy_kernel /legacy_kernel.bak

mv /i7_mobile_kernel /mach_kernel

chown 0:0 /mach_kernel

chmod 755 /mach_kernel

For those who follow the Mammoth post_installation guide it's become:

sudo -s

cp ~/Desktop/i7_mobile_kernel /

mv /mach_kernel /mach_kernel.bak

mv /i7_mobile_kernel /mach_kernel

chown 0:0 /mach_kernel

chmod 755 /mach_kernel

4) Reboot

First of all I rebooted without modified the com.apple.Boot.plist in /Cham/Extra so it was pretty catastrophic. Without the modified string my DSDT seems to be not load. Things come in the right way after modified the plist and reboot.

Secondly, no sound, my VoodooHDA doesn't work. I think because of the ALCInject.kext but I'm not certain. In fact, I reinstalled Voodoo with a pkg, so it backed up AppleHDA.kext and this ALCInject.kext and installed a VoodooHDA that had completely destroy the PS2 interface. After deleted it I installed this one from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...=216449&hl= and it worked perfectly on my dv5. I'm pretty sure that just delete the ALCInject.kext and backed up the AppleHDA would have be the solution to "repaired" sound and keep my old voodooHDA.

My D-Link USB Wireless adapter doesn't work after the install. I think that the driver I've installed this summer haven't compatibility with 10.6.5. So I just install new drivers and it's work even greater :)

I hope that my post would help people that are not sure to update.

Koala

Ps: Sorry for my english

I have run into some pretty big issues after updating to 10.6.5. Not sure if it's the update, or if it's something else, but accelerated graphics, including HD video is not working well at all. Adding a widget to the dashboard does produce the ripple effect, and that is very smooth, but trying to play a HD trailer from Apple, or watching HD video in the browser is like watching a 1 FPS slideshow.

EDIT: I was able to fix the issue by deleting my smbios.plist. I am 99% positive it was working before I updated to 10.6.5, but I can't say that I'm 100% sure it was. I will continue to look into it to see if I can find a working smbios.plist.

OK, got a little free time on Thanksgiving vacation here to play a bit. I was able to update to 10.6.5 and use Taptun's awesome 64-bit kernel. Thanks again Taptun! :)

I had the issue where videos were not playing in QuickTime, and discovered why: After the combo update the sound got broke. This is a common issue. For those of us running AppleHDA.kext in /C/E/E/, all we have to do is delete AppleHDA.kext from /S/L/E/, run pfix and do a Disk Repair, then reboot. Done.

The reason this happens is that installing an Update (Combo) installs the newest version of AppleHDA.kext in /S/L/E/, which isn't modified to work with our systems. But for those of us who keep the modified one in /C/E/E/, the update doesn't touch it. ; )

; )

Mammoth you are the man. I sure appreciate all your hard work to get this procedure together. I know it took a lot of time to do this and you are very thourogh, thanks a million.

I have a HP dv8t-1000 and the procedure worked like a charm, your attention to details is awesome, I would hire you as a Technical Support Engineer in a heart beat.

Again great job and good luck buddy.

New Kernel, no longer need to backups two kexts (AppleProfileFamily.kext , CHUDKernLib.kext - Included in the blacklist), all made in the Kernel

The idea yehia Amer (APIC) and qoopz (Blacklist)

Fully working x32, x64

Fully tested ;)

Taptun :)

New Kernel, no longer need to backups two kexts (AppleProfileFamily.kext , CHUDKernLib.kext - Included in the blacklist), all made in the Kernel

The idea yehia Amer (APIC) and qoopz (Blacklist)

Fully working x32, x64

Fully tested ;)

Taptun ;)

Wow, that's great! Thanks a lot!

Will this work for a HP DV6871us?

The only way to figure this out is compare your specs to the ones listed on post #1 (or my system, also listed in post #1). The closer yours is to that, the more likely it is to work.

Backup your system, or use a different hard drive, then give it a try.

Just wanted to give everyone a status update on my upgrade to 10.6.5 and using Taptun's 10.6.5 kernel.

Everything is working great, and I mean really great! I am using Taptun's 1st version (the one without the blacklisted kexts).

So far, mine seems to be more stable than it's ever been. I used it for hours yesterday without one freeze up or problem. There was one time when it KPed on boot up, but I just restarted and the second time was fine. I have started it up several times since then and it hasn't happened again. Other than that, flawless! I'm on it right now even.

On my system, I had neither the AppleProfileFamily.kext or CHUDKernLib.kext installed, so these weren't issues for me. One thing that might be interesting, currently, I have both AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient.kext installed in /S/L/E/ and I don't seem to have any issues. How about you?

Also, I have not made any changes to my smbios.plist, DSDT.aml, Chameleon, or any other changes since the v1.15 Post-installation Update Guide, and like I said, everything is working great.

Thanks again Taptun!!!!

I'm not sure if this is common knowledge already, but the smbios.plist has a HUGE impact on the way your DVx Hackbook performs. I've done some very unscientific tests, and here's how it impacted my system, and the configuration that seemed to be working best.

The tests I did under each of the configurations were:

* Test 1: Playing a 1080p trailer from trailers.apple.com (Source Code) at full screen.

* Test 2: Playing a bluray video remux from a MKV container. The source material I used was the short Day & Night from the Toy Story 3 bluray. It has H264 video with a bitrate of roughly 23.3 MBit/s and a 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio stream with a 1536kbps bitrate. Player used was the latest version of VLC, with default settings, in full screen mode. I did not output the audio to my receiver over HDMI for the purpose of these tests.

* Test 3: Portal 2, Testchamber 8 at 720p, full screen, with all settings set to max. Exceptions: 2X MSAA, VSync disabled, motion blur disabled.

All the test were conducted in the same way:

Boot OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.5 and let it settle down. Run test 1 thru 3. Rinse and repeat.

No smbios.plist

CPU: Correctly identified

RAM: Correctly identified

Model: iMac11,1

Test 1: Noticable stuttering, video plays choppy.

Test 2: Every few frames is skipped. In my opinion, I would call it unwatchable.

Test 3: Unplayable. Portal reports a FPS of 13.

mammoth's 1.15 smbios.plist

CPU: Speed is reported as 3 ghz

RAM: Incorrectly identified (DDR2 1067mhz)

Model: Mac Pro 3,1

Test 1: Perfect!

Test 2: Close to perfect. Just very few minor, hardly noticeable, slow downs.

Test 3: Very good. Portal reports a FPS between 55 and 90.

Edited version of mammoth's 1.15 smbios.plist (see below)

CPU: Correctly identified

RAM: Correctly identified

Model: Mac Pro 3,1

Test 1: Perfect!

Test 2: Close to perfect. Seems to be just a tad better than the original smbios.plist.

Test 3: Very good. Portal reports a FPS between 58 and around 90.

Notes: The things I changed was SMmaximalclock, SMmemtype and SMmemspeed.

Conclusion: Having the CPU and RAM correctly identified seems to have very little impact on the applications I've tested. I still use the smbios.plist where I get the correct identification on About this Mac simply because I like things to be as neat and correct as possible. The most important thing seems to be using a smbios.plist that works well on the DVx.

A few observations:

* Setting SMproductname to MacBookPro6,1 or MacBookPro6,2 degrades the performance to the point of things hardly working at all in terms of accelerated graphics. I haven't investigated this further, so it may be due to a bad config on my end.

* Using no smbios.list at all gave me a random issue where CDs inserted in the optical drive wouldn't mount.

* After a closer look, it seems to me that the smbios.plist has no, or very little, effect on CPU temperatures. Other factors are much more important.

I hope someone finds this information to be of some value.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>MBP61.0057.B05.1003191134</string>
<key>SMmanufacter</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacPro3,1</string>
<key>SMsystemversion</key>
<string>1.57f16</string>
<key>SMserial</key>
<string>C02CJ2DNDC79</string>
<key>SMexternalclock</key>
<string>333</string>
<key>SMmaximalclock</key>
<string>1600</string>
<key>SMmemtype</key>
<string>24</string>
<key>SMmemspeed</key>
<string>1333</string>
<key>SMmemmanufacter_1</key>
<string>0xAD00000000000000</string>
<key>SMmemserial_1</key>
<string>0x00001020</string>
<key>SMmempart_1</key>
<string>0x48594D503131325336344350362D59352020</string>
<key>SMmemmanufacter_2</key>
<key>SMmemserial_2</key>
<string>0x00003021</string>
<key>SMmempart_2</key>
<key>SMmemmanufacter_3</key>
<key>SMmemserial_3</key>
<key>SMmempart_3</key>
<key>SMmemmanufacter_4</key>
<key>SMmemserial_4</key>
<key>SMmempart_4</key>
</dict>
</plist>

PS. if you haven't watched the amazing short Day & Night, you should!

I'm not sure if this is common knowledge already, but the smbios.plist has a HUGE impact on the way your DVx Hackbook performs. I've done some very unscientific tests, and her's how it impacted my system, and the configuration that seemed to be working best.

Thank you very much "The X"! Awesome testing and documenting.

I am actually looking at all of this right now. I am gearing up to produce the next release of the DVxt Guides & Boot CD (v1.20). Before I do though, we need to get a lot of these issues nailed down so that the effort to results makes it all worth it.

I would like for EVERYONE to start posting fixes they would like to see POST v1.15. If an issue has since been resolved, PLEASE also post a link to that info. The faster I can get to info about fixes and resolved issues, the sooner I will be able to test, compile, document, re-test and finally implement them into this next release. I really don't have time for this, so the easier and faster I can get all the info, the more likely it will be that I will be able to complete this in a timely manner, otherwise I may have to shelve the release for a later date.

Mammoth you are the man. I sure appreciate all your hard work to get this procedure together. I know it took a lot of time to do this and you are very thourogh, thanks a million.

I have a HP dv8t-1000 and the procedure worked like a charm, your attention to details is awesome, I would hire you as a Technical Support Engineer in a heart beat.

Again great job and good luck buddy.

Thank you very much JamesPierce9190!

It always makes my day and encourages me to continue on with my efforts when someone like yourself takes the time to post his or her appreciation. So again, thanks to you too!

I have found that many technical related projects could be much easier and used by more people, faster, if only more time and quality was applied to the documentation. So in my work I put a lot of effort into practicing what I preach, and I have been honored with the positive feedback received from those who have appreciated these efforts.

Also, it's necessary for myself as months later I often need to refer to my own documentation because sometimes I can't remember something I did or how I did it! So if I can understand my own documentation, that is a pay-off too. :)

And if you are in a position to provide any Technical Support Engineer positions in the Los Angeles area, I WOULD be interested to hear about them. ;)

i am having the exact same problems that dragonsoul81 described. A lot of crashes when ac power Connects and disconnects. I patched dsdt with the ac adapter mod in the way like dsdtse described .

Also a lot of probs/crashes when resuming from sleep and hibernate if i sleep with ac adapter connected and resume with battery only.

I ended to remove it completely (voodoobattery) until i find a better solution.

If anyone finds a solution for battery/ac plz let us know .

Thanks!!

Mal

Attached is AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext that I compiled for 32/64-bit (note: I've only tested the 32-bit!) from the sources Meklort has gathered as part of his Netbook installer project. I just updated the Xcode project to the latest SDK and changed the configuration to build the fat/universal binary. It runs from /E/E fine.

AppleACPIBatteryManager1015.zip

Attached is AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext that I compiled for 32/64-bit (note: I've only tested the 32-bit!) from the sources Meklort has gathered as part of his Netbook installer project. I just updated the Xcode project to the latest SDK and changed the configuration to build the fat/universal binary. It runs from /E/E fine.

Awesome Gsly! I'm going to try it in 64-bit now.

Why aren't you running in 64-bit (or why are you running in 32-bit)? I know you have a very good reason, I'm just curious.

I will post my test results soon as I'm going to try it now.

Thanks!!!

Awesome Gsly! I'm going to try it in 64-bit now.

Why aren't you running in 64-bit (or why are you running in 32-bit)? I know you have a very good reason, I'm just curious.

I will post my test results soon as I'm going to try it now.

Thanks!!!

Hi Gsly,

OK, I just tried it, but no go. Are there some prerequisites for this to work? Let me know if there is any info you need from me. Getting off Voodoo battery is high on many people's list, so if we can get this to work there would be a lot of happy people out there, and I would be one of them.

Here are the errors I got:

Nov 29 19:36:01 localhost kernel[0]: kxld[com.apple.driver.AppleACPIBatteryManager]: The following symbols are unresolved for this kext:

Nov 29 19:36:01 localhost kernel[0]: kxld[com.apple.driver.AppleACPIBatteryManager]: __ZN22AppleACPIBatteryDevice13setPowerStateEmP9IOService

Nov 29 19:36:01 localhost kernel[0]: Can't load kext com.apple.driver.AppleACPIBatteryManager - link failed.

Nov 29 19:36:01 localhost kernel[0]: Failed to load executable for kext com.apple.driver.AppleACPIBatteryManager.

Nov 29 19:36:01 localhost kernel[0]: Kext com.apple.driver.AppleACPIBatteryManager failed to load (0xdc008016).

Nov 29 19:36:01 localhost kernel[0]: Failed to load kext com.apple.driver.AppleACPIBatteryManager (error 0xdc008016).

Nov 29 19:36:01 localhost kernel[0]: Couldn't alloc class "AppleACPIBatteryManager"

I'm not running 64-bit for a couple of reasons. I wanted to test Meklort's patcher to see how it compared to the other solutions (so far I'm happy!) and understand what he was doing in case he doesn't do the 64-bit patcher and I can pick up that development. I also wanted to compile the older Apple PS/2 code and maybe add some support for the special HP keys (at least those that aren't going through the EC). I'm still running the 32-bit only voodoo PS/2 kexts so I get no keyboard in 64-bit yet :) (I should just put in the kexts you have gathered and get on with it)

OK, I just tried it, but no go. Are there some prerequisites for this to work? Let me know if there is any info you need from me. Getting off Voodoo battery is high on many people's list, so if we can get this to work there would be a lot of happy people out there, and I would be one of them.

Try the attached. I found a posting that suggested a stub is needed on the AppleACPIBatteryDevice for 64 bit. This is also the debug version (I think the first one was release). No guarantees :) If you still can't get it working, give me a day or two to break my install and get it working again in 64-bit...

AppleACPIBatteryManager1015_test.zip

I'm not running 64-bit for a couple of reasons. I wanted to test Meklort's patcher to see how it compared to the other solutions (so far I'm happy!) and understand what he was doing in case he doesn't do the 64-bit patcher and I can pick up that development. I also wanted to compile the older Apple PS/2 code and maybe add some support for the special HP keys (at least those that aren't going through the EC). I'm still running the 32-bit only voodoo PS/2 kexts so I get no keyboard in 64-bit yet :( (I should just put in the kexts you have gathered and get on with it)

Try the attached. I found a posting that suggested a stub is needed on the AppleACPIBatteryDevice for 64 bit. This is also the debug version (I think the first one was release). No guarantees :) If you still can't get it working, give me a day or two to break my install and get it working again in 64-bit...

Holy {censored} Gsly, you are a wizard genius!

:sorcerer: <---- Gsly

First time I've seen the battery icon without VoodoodooBattery installed. Nice! You are definitely on the right track.

First off, it looks like the percentage is working correctly; was at 100% and has just ticked down to 93%.

However the time isn't being calculated correctly. It's stuck on (0:03).

I will continue to test with it and let you know what I find. I am going to let it completely run out of power and see how it handles it.

Thank you!!!!

I have still not forgotten it was you who got us our first working kernel for these machines, so once again, thanks for that too! ;)