AnVAL (ACPI Loader)

valv

1,538 posts in this topic

Hi Valv.

I tried Anval on an ASUS 1201N (atom 330) with no success. I've got the system reboot automatically before loading the Kernel. I tried to boot with -v to provide you some information, but the reboot is so quick after that I cannot see anything :(.

What can I do to help you ?

try to boot with this:

arch=i386

if u can get me some dump from linux (dmi) or windows (cpu-z, text dump though)

Hello Valv, I just tried your build. I would try to report that with graphics enabler my ati 4870 card does not work. The boot process hangs before initializing the GUI. The prompt says no Nvidia card found. I used 5.1.3_fixed. Also tried with UseATIROM but no luck.

Thank you!

If I understand your opinion correctly ( :P ), we should leave the boot-loader give doubled values (wrong) to satisfy kernel and let it correct 'em afterwards ? this is anti-code and is non-sense to me. So I'd say that I don't understand what you meant (as am pretty sure u meant something else :rolleyes: )

Nooo.. at most, i didn't understood the problem correctly!?

Let's see; what i understood is that "your" booter is now passing the correct value (for the AMD cpu's in question) and the kernel doubles it because of the blackknight hack, right?

If so, what i meant was "remove the blackknight code from the kernel and just use the value passed by the booter".

If i failed to understand, please correct me :unsure:

About the autoresolution stuff, i'll pm you...

hi valv

Im trying to use your boot loader on my ASUS 1215n but cant get it to boot my 10.6.6 install

it just reboots before loading the kernel i tried tea kernel and vanilla same thing every time.

CPU-z Dump

1215n.txt

Exactly the same issue with an Asus 1201N. I'm not alone :blink:.

However I'm not able to did some dump as I've got only MacOs on this machine. I will do a Windows boot on an USB stick also to have a dump.

Great ! I think 5.1.4 should be ready for the App Store :(

I should think so :D !

Hay valv - I got one small issue I've just noticed with autoresolution.

The GUI and verbose text is perfect but with non-verbose boot the Apple logo and spinner are squashed (4/3 in a 16/9 window.)

I boot verbose most of the time so have only just noticed but I remember with earlier builds it was all good.

any ideas?

EDIT - I think it might have been Azimutz branch that had correct aspect for logo and spinner which i guess relates to this

bdmesg_valv_5_1_3.txt

p.s I don't know where you get the time/energy for all the fantastic work. Much respect!

D

@FKA, mitch_de and every good friend,

Thank u!

@FKA,

hopefully, Azi is giving me a hand on fixing those issues with auto-resolution.

@Atom cpu friends :D

I already have something for you (should be what u needed to get it working)

I'll commit asap :)

Hello valv,

thanks for this great work. Also nice there is some vesa overriding code inside.

Can you also add proper code that works for Sony laptops? Sonys have a SNC device inside that seems to activate the internal display. So only vesa mode works on the internal display but with wrong resolution.

For example my Vaio F11 has 1920x1080, aspect 16:9, but shown in the loader is aspect 5:4, max. resolution 1280x1024. Is there a way to get native resolution with vesa?

Someone already implemented this into chameleon it seems to me, please check this out, if it's already inside or could help you: cham native reso patch

Please!

hi anv, could you please check the performance of vnc ? don´t know if it is the memory detection.

got sometimes vnc freezes (or just bad performance) with my broken 8800GS and my new GTS 450 can somebody else report this ?

with the the trunk i don´t have this.

Hi Valv..

Well done with your continued development here and on irc recently. The future looks exciting :)

The reason for my post today is that I was doing some theme testing in VMWare Fusion with which I normally use the Chameleon trunk cdboot file for creating my .iso for loading. However, I had your latest build, 5.1.3_fixed, on my desktop and I thought I'd test the cdboot file from it for my .iso.

When trying to boot the .iso in VMWare Fusion I get the following error:

post-331032-1295594869_thumb.jpg

Now I haven't tried booting an .iso using the cdboot file for real on my machine so I can't verify this problem in that instance, just when using in my VM.

Regards

blackosx

@Azimutz,

Now u got me right wink_anim.gif

aah... for a moment you got me doubting of my sanity :P

We'll see about this stuff later on...

@FKA,

hopefully, Azi is giving me a hand on fixing those issues with auto-resolution.

Valv, check my signature for diff update; AUTORES_DEBUG is now fully working.

I must say that i removed some of the debug stuff; Lebidou added some "make" configs that enabled to type "make debug" or "make autores_dbg" to compile; "make autores_dbg" is ok but "make debug" is a mess :) to much stuff printed to screen and repeated. Later will take a better look at this.. i need more knowledge about "make".

Hay valv - I got one small issue I've just noticed with autoresolution...

EDIT - I think it might have been Azimutz branch that had correct aspect for logo and spinner which i guess relates to this

Correct :) also took me a long time to notice this because of verbose boot :P

The AutoResolution diff i posted before, is on my sig, Chameleon->Latest trunk>Patches, if you want to follow.

For example my Vaio F11 has 1920x1080, aspect 16:9, but shown in the loader is aspect 5:4, max. resolution 1280x1024. Is there a way to get native resolution with vesa?

Sorry, not with the AutoResolution patch you mention and which we are talking about; it doesn't work with "Core i" series chipsets, just 800 and 900 series. The most recent chipset reported to me that works was a GS45, still belongs to 900 series according to Wikipedia.

When trying to boot the .iso in VMWare Fusion I get the following error:...

yep... confirmed, using the latest on repo, rev 707.

Edited by Azimutz

Hi Valv and others,

I don't know if this is a known issue, but I think it'd be good if I shared it with you.

I found out that my system in signature suffers a lot from enabling the C States. Here's the breakdown of the issue:

At any speed, stock or overclocked, with any possible BIOS settings, at any possible CPU load, when C States are enabled, the passage from Halt state to operational generates a mini stop in the system, obviously in OSX.

This produces crackling of sound, mouse cursor tiny interruptions, and several other little annoying issues.

Also, I noticed that enabling C States considerably stretches OSX's loading time. The spinning wheel halts and then restarts spinning during loading several times.

Sleep is also not working, even enabling C3 states specifically.

Last but not least, restart and shutdown are considerably longer.

Disabling C States obviously produces a higher CPU temperature which I'm not so keen of, but at least the system runs extremely smooth and fast.

I also noticed that this did not occur with my previous Core 2 Quad system. It's something that popped up only after upgrading to an i7 system.

I tried the main trunk, Kabyl's other than Valv's booter, which I currently use with C States disabled. All those issues are totally solved with C Stated not generated. Processor incompatibility?

Any suggestions or insight? P-States are perfectly generated and produce no unwanted results.

Sorry, not with the AutoResolution patch you mention and which we are talking about; it doesn't work with "Core i" series chipsets, just 800 and 900 series. The most recent chipset reported to me that works was a GS45, still belongs to 900 series according to Wikipedia.

Azimutz, can I help you somehow to make it work on Core i7? Do you need investigation or debug work from me? Please let me know in case you decide to implement this :)

Correct :) also took me a long time to notice this because of verbose boot :P

The AutoResolution diff i posted before, is on my sig, Chameleon->Latest trunk>Patches, if you want to follow.

I've had that diff on my desktop for about two weeks now. It's still a big learning curve for me and I short on time ATM. ... excuses, excuses! :)

EDIT - just grabbed latest diff.