AnVAL (ACPI Loader)

valv

1,538 posts in this topic

Andy, valv, any news on the AnVAL? Is the project still being developed or it had been superseded/merged with some other Chameleon-derived product?

Now that a lot of useful branch features are in the rc5 trunk, any plans to get the valv branch changes synced up?

I think the sandy bridge changes should at least be merged in. I did sync that portion myself in a private tree and it seems to be working fine. Diffs if you're interested. I'm cross posting from over here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1684008 as the question came up in that other thread.

Now that a lot of useful branch features are in the rc5 trunk, any plans to get the valv branch changes synced up?

I think the sandy bridge changes should at least be merged in. I did sync that portion myself in a private tree and it seems to be working fine. Diffs if you're interested. I'm cross posting from over here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1684008 as the question came up in that other thread.

@bcc9, if possible, can you please also take a look at EnableC6State key in Valv's branch and commit it, if it doesn't require a lot of work, to the main branch should it be considered useful. I want to try RC5 and waiting this key to make its way to the official branch.

Thank you,

@bcc9, if possible, can you please also take a look at EnableC6State key in Valv's branch and commit it, if it doesn't require a lot of work, to the main branch should it be considered useful. I want to try RC5 and waiting this key to make its way to the official branch.

Thank you,

I just posted some working diffs over here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1684161

Unfortunately I haven't looked into what the valv branches changes are about concerning c-states, really someone who is familiar with those changes should handle that.

Also, why are you using the EFI partition to install the booter? imho, it's a waste of time!! :graduated: but that's just my opinion...

well most people feel the same way like it its a waste of time.. IMHO.. but the truth of the matter is installing to the efi partition prevents you from "Accidentally" deleteing over writing and many other things.. like what if your main install crashed and you need to reinstall.... if you installed it to your EFI partition all you have to do is boot to your retail dvd with your boot cd then re format not Partition your drive and you Still will have your EFI partition intact and in the long run it saves you alot of time and headache and saves you from always having to reinstall chameleon.. Thats the Point of installing it to the EFI partition.. man I can't believe it hasn't really been that long since the efi thing came to fruition and people are already taking it for granted.. . well any way thats my 2 cent about the efi partition.. oh and btw I don't use the EFI my self.. but I did for a long while and I tell you it saved me a lot of headache.. Now I use my own Homemade Chameleon "E-Fix"..lol which is all e-fix is anyway..lol :thumbsup_anim:

• 1 month later...

I have an interesting issue with boot screen resolution. In version 5.0.3 the Chameleon boot screen had a proper resolution (1280x768). I have "Graphics Mode=1280x768x32" key in com.apple.Boot.plist.

Now, after an update (needed to make some SMBIOS.plist values to load correctly) to latest Chameleon version from trunk RC5rev1052, the boot screen resolution is wrong. I've changed only boot files (no other files were changed). Changing theme's .plist values makes no difference. It seem like "Graphics Mode=1280x768x32" flag is ignored completely.

The question is what has changed between these Chameleon versions to provoke the above problem? If anything could be done with source code to revert the proper boot screen resolution function?

Hi bcc9; you should post this stuff on a bug tracker issue; here loses visibility :D

I can't test this stuff (for now) and i'm pretty busy with other stuff, or i would take a look at it...

well most people feel the same way like it its a waste of time.. IMHO.. but the truth of the matter is installing to the efi partition prevents you from "Accidentally" deleteing over writing and many other things.. like what if your main install crashed and you need to reinstall.... if you installed it to your EFI partition all you have to do is boot to your retail dvd with your boot cd then re format not Partition your drive and you Still will have your EFI partition intact and in the long run it saves you alot of time and headache and saves you from always having to reinstall chameleon.. Thats the Point of installing it to the EFI partition.. man I can't believe it hasn't really been that long since the efi thing came to fruition and people are already taking it for granted.. . well any way thats my 2 cent about the efi partition.. oh and btw I don't use the EFI my self.. but I did for a long while and I tell you it saved me a lot of headache.. Now I use my own Homemade Chameleon "E-Fix"..lol which is all e-fix is anyway..lol wink_anim.gif

Darkone84, i just like to pick on the EFI partition from time to time :D

Just to make it clearer, when i say "it's a waste of time", i'm comparing to Extra on a "normal" partition.

Anyway, i already found what i wanted to know about the ESP; messed with it for a few days and believe me,

that "excuse" you mention to use the ESP for booter partition, it's worth nothing when you face a screwed up GPT table :P

That lead me to diagnose a Chameleon "fragility", that can leave us without a way of booting the installed systems,

even from an external booter, if the boot management is all done via Chameleon.

So you see, there isn't total safety on ESP install... it's just an ilusion and that's why i like to pick on it :D

I have an interesting issue with boot screen resolution. In version 5.0.3 the Chameleon boot screen had a proper resolution (1280x768). I have "Graphics Mode=1280x768x32" key in com.apple.Boot.plist.

Now, after an update (needed to make some SMBIOS.plist values to load correctly) to latest Chameleon version from trunk RC5rev1052, the boot screen resolution is wrong. I've changed only boot files (no other files were changed). Changing theme's .plist values makes no difference. It seem like "Graphics Mode=1280x768x32" flag is ignored completely.

Will take a look into this... already did, but need a bit more time.

Meanwhile, you should start getting your Chameleon binaries from here or compile them your self,

if that falls into your comfort zone; i can't "process" that "5.0.3" version :P

Will take a look into this... already did, but need a bit more time.

Meanwhile, you should start getting your Chameleon binaries from here or compile them your self,

if that falls into your comfort zone; i can't "process" that "5.0.3" version :help:

Thanks!

As for compiling, already did that. Hence the problem. The version I'm using now is

Chameleon 2.0-RC5 (svn-r1055)

and the above issue still present. I'll try a newer version though.

EDIT:

Tested with

Chameleon 2.0-RC5 (svn-r1076)

same result - wrong resolution.

Hi bcc9; you should post this stuff on a bug tracker issue; here loses visibility ;)

I can't test this stuff (for now) and i'm pretty busy with other stuff, or i would take a look at it...

I already re-sync'd those diffs to the head and kabyl commited the diffs to the mainline a while back. (Was followed up in the main chameleon rc5 thread here).

Others are making good use of the MSR flex ratio fix for gigabyte h67 motherboards too.

chameleon gets discussed all over - I guess forge.voodooprojects.org is your preferred place?

My regular voodooprojects.org login doesn't work there so I have to make yet another one I guess?

I already re-sync'd those diffs to the head and kabyl commited the diffs to the mainline a while back. (Was followed up in the main chameleon rc5 thread here).

Others are making good use of the MSR flex ratio fix for gigabyte h67 motherboards too.

:) sorry, i totally missed the date of the post: I remember that, yes :P

chameleon gets discussed all over - I guess forge.voodooprojects.org is your preferred place?

My regular voodooprojects.org login doesn't work there so I have to make yet another one I guess?

It's not really a question of preference; the more centralized things are, the better for everybody.

I get lost easily in confusion and start missing posts dates :)

Yeah, you need a diff login/account for the forum; it's not "synced" with the forge one.

p.s.: Ok, i totally failed on this pair of posts! On the answer above, i missed you were talking about the forge;

in that case, i take Meklort's words below, as mine! All issues should be posted there.

Edited by Azimutz

I guess forge.voodooprojects.org is your preferred place?

Forge is regularly checked by the developers for issues and changes. InsanelyMac is not. Anything not at forge has a much higher chance of not being seen / being ignored than it does if it's in forge. That is especially true for bugs, those should all be reported at forge if you want the issue fixed.

• 5 months later...