fermi/gtx 480/gtx 470

cmf

1,729 posts in this topic

Perhaps because they were not ready... The use of ATI makes Adobe on new Macs a bummer. Mercury acceleration only works on Cuda so no joy with GPU help there anymore. Almost all GPU renderers use Cuda so again a setback. Either we will have to wait for Open CL support or switch to Windows to do some serious work. Considering I switch to Mac OS 5 years ago to get away from Windows to do Video and Graphics work this is really disappointing.

Nvidia may surprise us all and announce upgrade cards for the Mac so who knows.

So, its not possible for the gtx 4xx support to be dropped ?!

at least the GF100, ie: 480 470 465 ?

Because since these beta drivers we have here have the GF100 support, then i would assume complete support for our cards recently..

I was going to buy a gainward gtx 470 in a few days..

but now I am having doubts, to rather pick an ati 58xx

I cannot give any speculations, but maybe anyone here could, that these drivers will continue to be developed (regarding the GF100 support)

So what does it look like now? Has anyone at all gotten a GTX 460 working? From the posts above it looks to be pretty grim. Can someone give me a status report? I just bought a EVGA 1GB GTX 460 EE and I was hoping to get it to work. If I can't I need to know what I can do.

So what does it look like now? Has anyone at all gotten a GTX 460 working? From the posts above it looks to be pretty grim. Can someone give me a status report? I just bought a EVGA 1GB GTX 460 EE and I was hoping to get it to work. If I can't I need to know what I can do.

from what I've read,

460s does not work with these drivers right now..

you have to either get:

1- evga (or msi) GTX 465 and flash it with GTX 470 rom.

2- evga GTX 470

3- evga or Zotac GTX 480

because those are the only based on GF100.

don't know about other brands, but diffenetly, Gigabytes does not work!

from what I've read,

you have to either get:

2- evga GTX 470

3- evga or Zotac GTX 480

MSI 470 works without any problem.

from what I've read,

you have to either get:

2- evga GTX 470

3- evga or Zotac GTX 480

Yea, that's exactly what I have been reading. :) Well, looks like I will be running off of my Windows drive with the 460 for a little while. But one question. If the 460 has support in the bootloaders, why would it, if the drivers don't support it?

EDIT: One other question. With the new bootloader added on, can you get into chameleon, but not into OSX? This would be good to know since I am running three OS's. Thanks.

from what I've read,

you have to either get:

2- evga GTX 470

3- evga or Zotac GTX 480

Actually, I have a gigabyte GTX470 in my hackintosh right now, and it *definitely* does work. I never had to deal with any of these black screen problems people are talking about. That said, I didn't do anything differently, so maybe I just got lucky.

Actually, I have a gigabyte GTX470 in my hackintosh right now, and it *definitely* does work. I never had to deal with any of these black screen problems people are talking about. That said, I didn't do anything differently, so maybe I just got lucky.

more than 3 users in a row confirmed it non working,..

could you share your steps?

and which exactly is your gigabyte card?

Thats pretty interesting!

edit: does it work in full QE ?

do you guys think Galaxy GTX470 will work?

actually, my hackintosh boots fine but with 1024x768 resolution only.

but u did all the steps of the first post ?

If u can boot from the hard disk, but just with 1024x768 u have to install the fermi compatible bootloader and the edited nvidia kexts in s/l/e

Remember to repair permissions and the cache, you can use the kext utility for that, just run the program, he'll do that automatically.

U can make sure that your bootloader is right if u have the right vga model in the system profile, but for the full resolution u'll need the edited kexts.

If u don't know how to install the bootloader, just download the chameleon RC5 zip file, extract, replace the file "boot" in your boot partition.

You have got be kidding me. I was just about to put my card on ebay and get an evga gtx 470 one. Please please please tell me exactly what you did, I must have done something wrong. What are your specs by the way?

EDIT:

Also when did you do this? Did you use the new bootloader installer or what? Thanks a bunch too

Here is some additional info about my GTX-465 flashed to 470

Mostly finished testing now.

Tried a couple different ROMs and it seems to be operating best with the MSi Twin Frozr GTX-470 ROM.

Performance in OSX is pretty lousy. Cinebench is giving it 23 f/s, actually coming in quite a bit lower than my GTX-260. And the card is running pretty hot.

I tested it under win7-64 for comparison, same card, same MSi ROM.

Runs cooler in Win as I can adjust the fan speed. CineBench in win gives it 43 f/s, pretty serious difference.

I also get occasional video scaling in OSX. Not something I want to see at all from such an expensive card.

I am assuming the massive difference between the two operating environments is because the drivers we are using are actually for the 285,295 GTX as nVidia has still not released OSX drivers for any 4xx cards yet.

My final judgment is to stick with GTX-260, 285, 295 for now.

The GTX-460 does not work at all in OSX so if you are looking for a recommendation, I am saying better to wait for better driver support from nVidia.

Bang for your buck, the best card in my mind is the GTX-260. Unfortunately it has been discontinued. If you can, grab one while stores still have them in stock.

Here is a sample video of the video scaling

Does anybody have an actual GTX-470, (unmodified) and can post a cinebench score for OSX for comparison?

rabbit

I am assuming the massive difference between the two operating environments is because the drivers we are using are actually for the 285,295 GTX as nVidia has still not released OSX drivers for any 4xx cards yet.

Hi rabbit,

How 2xx drivers are driving 4xx ?! with QE and all ?

these drivers should at least have some 4xx support, so thats why the cards are partially working now.

however, If these drivers do not contain any 4xx support as you claim, with the new mac refreshes which come with only ATIs, I doubt there would be any support for 4xx in the future! :)

Hi rabbit,

How 2xx drivers are driving 4xx ?! with QE and all ?

these drivers should at least have some 4xx support, so thats why the cards are partially working now.

however, If these drivers do not contain any 4xx support as you claim, with the new mac refreshes which come with only ATIs, I doubt there would be any support for 4xx in the future! :)

Let us hope that changes.

r.

Let us hope that changes.

r.

actually I forgot, the drivers we are using contains the "NVDAGF100Hal.kext"

and GF100 is the fermi chip :)

So I think there is a development for the architecture support for osx.

dunno though if thats for the fermi quadro cards..

and if quadro support would guarantee GTX4xx full support :D

@rabbit74:

Did you have any problems with your card when you used Windows 7? Does it run correctly, especially if you play some games? How much memory has your GTX465? 1024MB or 1280MB?

I'm asking because I'm a litte bit afraid that my eVGA GTX465 won't run correctly under Windows if I flash it with a GTX470 ROM.

@rabbit74:

Did you have any problems with your card when you used Windows 7? Does it run correctly, especially if you play some games? How much memory has your GTX465? 1024MB or 1280MB?

I'm asking because I'm a litte bit afraid that my eVGA GTX465 won't run correctly under Windows if I flash it with a GTX470 ROM.

Sorry. I am not a gamer. I only used benching tools to test it. So, I really can't give you a solid answer to your question. System is showing the card has 1280MB.

r.

Sorry. I am not a gamer. I only used benching tools to test it. So, I really can't give you a solid answer to your question. System is showing the card has 1280MB.

r.

Ok, thanks for the fast answer.

What benchtools did you use? If the card was fully load with them that would be a good sign that its working probably.

Had you tried to get your untouched GTX465 working with OS X or had you flashed the ROM immediately?

I hope I can get it working but have to wait for the parcel service. :)

Ok, thanks for the fast answer.

What benchtools did you use? If the card was fully load with them that would be a good sign that its working probably.

Had you tried to get your untouched GTX465 working with OS X or had you flashed the ROM immediately?

I hope I can get it working but have to wait for the parcel service. :(

I only tested it as 470. To be honest I am a Linux and Mac guy. I have win7-64 for testing purposes only and am pretty useless in the windoz environment.

I tested it with geekbench, CineBench, and FutureMark.

FutureMark seems to be the real test. It ran the test flawlessly and the scores are attached. The GPU got up to 74c though during the test. normally at 50-55c

I hope that helps.

r.

post-481107-1280406511_thumb.jpg

Worth noting

Trying to get rid of the video scaling.

tried installing the nVidia driver package without extracting its individual parts.

It worked.

Further I did not need to modify NVDAResman or 100Hal or anything else.

I just installed the drivers and the Fermi boot and rebooted.

interesting. But scaling still exists.

r.

Bang for your buck, the best card in my mind is the GTX-260. Unfortunately it has been discontinued. If you can, grab one while stores still have them in stock.

All the review sites disagree with you, the GTX 460 beats everything else in its price range right now.

Of course If you mean 'for use in a Hackintosh' then it's a different story. ATI/AMD I just tend to ignore for some irrational reason so I don't know if they have a better offer.

Nvidia will probably stop making the GTX 470 and the GTX 465, anyone who reads reviews will surely buy the GTX 460 instead, or the GTX 475 when it's released later this year.

Heh. I want a 460 so badly, I guess I'm just going to wait it out and see if new drivers come out for it so I can use it on my Hackintosh. I've been checking Amazon daily (GTX 460 is not available in Brazil, at least not at a justifiable price) like a madman to see the new cards come in and compare prices.

I am not a gamer.

With a video card like that you sure had me fooled. What do you need a powerful video card like the GTX 470 for if you don't play games? (Just curious)

With a video card like that you sure had me fooled. What do you need a powerful video card like the GTX 470 for if you don't play games? (Just curious)

I am really just looking for a replacement for the 260 as it is no longer available.

The 240 is not powerful enough for a 30" monitor, which I need, and the 250 is problematic and is not powerful enough for a 30" monitor with a secondary 1080p 42" screen. GTX-260 is minimum.

I do a lot of video work and there is often a lot of rendering on very large screens. So, powerful graphics is a must.

r.