fermi/gtx 480/gtx 470

cmf

1,729 posts in this topic

I'm new to all this so forgive the most likely idotic question, but;

3. install bootloader located in bootloader/

What do I install from the bootloader folder? where does it go? I installed OSX with tonymac's [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]

Man, we are here to help as much as we can, BUT after you follow the instructions exactly and happens that there is something wrong to figure out..

but as you've seen the instructions in the first post, 10.6.4 is no.1 , and I doubt if these drivers worked for anybody with 10.6.3.

we are glad here to help, and no one is forcing us to though...

follow the instruction, and if there is anything wrong happens, we are here to help.

take it easy :D

Thank you...

I love that Pompeii pics.....

I'm a Floyd fan too.....

O.T.

On April in Milan will be Waters with The Wall Live!!!!!!!

I have been waiting for this concert for a long time.

I really admire and respect Roger Waters, I think he is a great philosopher and the heart of Pink Floyd, compare David Gilmour's solo albums to Roger's ones, and you will see what I mean.

Talking bout the floyds would take over this thread.. so for the GTX sake.. I shall stop :D

I have been waiting for this concert for a long time.

I really admire and respect Roger Waters, I think he is a great philosopher and the heart of Pink Floyd, compare David Gilmour's solo albums to Roger's ones, and you will see what I mean.

Talking bout the floyds would take over this thread.. so for the GTX sake.. I shall stop :D

Yes....

Now you'll hate me...

I've upgrade to 10.6.4, install new bootloader, add new string, replace kexts and frameworks, but the screen on starup, shutdown, also in safe mode (-x)..

Now in the guide says to clear cache on startup....... How??

THX...

I've upgrade to 10.6.4, install new bootloader, add new string, replace kexts and frameworks, but the screen on starup, shutdown, also in safe mode (-x)..

Now in the guide says to clear cache on startup....... How??

what string? graphicsenabler?

clear cache = "sudo rm -Rf /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches" or "ignore caches" option in chameleon

What do I install from the bootloader folder? where does it go? I installed OSX with tonymac's [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]

http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleo...runk/doc/README

@cmf: your updated drivers contain the "imac mid 2010 drivers" right ?
[*]fermi package 2010/08/03 is based on a wild mixture of 10.6.4+macmini+imac+nvidia kexts

so, yes ;)

10.6.2 <- 10.6.4 combo <- nvidia <- macmini <- imac

since the graphics update didn't leak yet, i can't say if it's just a repackaged imac update ...

edit: side note: this board software really sucks ... can't add links to chameleon.osx86.hu or forge.voodooprojects.org, bbcodes get converted to html directly (don't stay bbcodes) or screw up the board design, can't upload files with a size of 10 mb (or even 8 mb, had to fall back to 7.x meg) even if it says so ...

anyways, added some links to the howto in the first post ...

so, yes :)

10.6.2 <- 10.6.4 combo <- nvidia <- macmini <- imac

Yeah, I've read that, but I was making sure, cause I noticed that the guys at macrumors had significant performance increase with those drivers, so I thought to ask you if you made any benchmarks or noticed any increased performance with the 4xx.

If there's no fermi cards for the Mac, isn't it likely that there are no decent drivers for 4xx in sight? Correct me if I'm wrong.

rephrase that.

Hi all,

I downloaded the Snow Leopard graphics update and installed it on top of what I had from this thread. It didn't change or break anything. OpenGL is still very slow.

-Tom

from where? please link or leak ;)

Yeah, I've read that, but I was making sure, cause I noticed that the guys at macrumors had significant performance increase with those drivers, so I thought to ask you if you made any benchmarks or noticed any increased performance with the 4xx.

but mostly for ati and "old" nvidia cards from what i've heard.

If there's no fermi cards for the Mac, isn't it likely that there are no decent drivers for 4xx in sight? Correct me if I'm wrong.

well, my guess is that mac geforce driver version "19.5.7f07" or "19.5.8f03" equals the nvidia R195 driver version (for windows/linux/...), so not even R197 which was the fermi release driver version. and from what people tell the mac drivers are just a branch/version/snapshot of the original nvidia driver that gets updated from time to time. so yes, i guess we'll automatically get better fermi support when they decide to use a more recent driver version like R197 or R256.

unless they decide to remove (or not include, depending on how they structured their code) fermi support from the mac drivers. but this would mean more effort and would be pointless when quadro 4000 is released.

oh, 10.6 release (or 10.6.1?) driver version was "18.6.5f10" and nvidia used version 186.* in june 2009, so the assumption seems right.

cmf, from Apple's website. I'm a registered developer. I uploaded it here http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GD553MYQ, I just hope Apple doesn't spank me. Oh wait, I like spanking :)

-Tom

thanks, much appreciated :)

apple should really change their policy in that regard. i mean, why would should anyone pay _them_ money to beta test _their_ software? especially for software that is free anyways.

k, concerning the graphics update: this includes newer drivers than the imac update. version went from "1.6.18.13 (19.5.7f07)" (imac update) to "1.6.18.16 (19.5.9f02)" (sl graphics update). still no opencl framework update and opengl framework went from 1.6.8.8.0 to 1.6.8.12.0.

i can't test anything right now (well, not on a fermi card), so if anyone else wants to try these, please report your results :(

edit: no significant change in opengl performance on my mbp (9600m gt). but the cuda driver wants an update now, so apple might have changed some opencl related code.

I tried it but now luck for me. Then again perhaps someone with better skillz than me should try it before writing it off. :D

Btw @cmf: does the fermi chameleon contain 460s with 0e22 dev id's?

{ 0x10DE0E22, 0x0000, "GeForce GTX 460" },
{ 0x10DE0E24, 0x0000, "GeForce GTX 460" },

yes

Mine is VEN_10DE&DEV_0E22 (evga 768MB GTX 460) probably the 0x10DE0E24 is the one with 1 GB

nope, both the 1 gb and 768 meg gtx 460 have the 0e22 device id. haven't seen the 0e24 anywhere yet ...

After following the 8/3 post most works but I get the default Apple Renderer (dog slow). I have updated the /S/L/E/NV* and /S/L/E/GeF* files; set permissions to 644 and owner to root:wheel and rebuilt the kext cache and updated the frameworks with the provided files.

After reboot, verbose kernel load shows loading the NV 100 driver. OpenGL Extensions Viewer shows I have the "Apple Renderer" rather than the nvidia version.

What can I do to troubleshoot or repair. Any ideas. Thanks in advance!!!

Anyone got some updated instructions? I'm having trouble getting my eVGA GTX 470 to work.

Using 10.6.4 with the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] / [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] method.

NVInject casues a freeze on boot (can't probe successfully)

Tried the package in the 1st post, didn't help.

Any thoughts?

Regarding flashing a GTX465 to GTX470 BIOS:

Works fine in Windows, OS X sees it as a GTX 470 as well, but still locked in at 1024x768. Any ideas?

I figured it out, I tried everything and then I ended up updating the utility I was using to clear cache/fix permissions. Looks like that did the trick. I also reinstalled the Nvidia kexts using kext helper, if that made a difference. 1920x1200 on dual monitors now.

Thanks for the guide! System Profiler reports 1280MB VRAM however I'm unsure if this is what is really on the card, or just what the flashed bios reports. Using the 8/03 zip from OP.