fermi/gtx 480/gtx 470

cmf

1,729 posts in this topic

Hi guy`s has anyone tried contacting nvidia about any forthcoming os x drivers for the gtx 460, mine`s a palit oc 1gb version and reading all these posts its not looking good.I might have to stick my 9800 gtx+ back in and return the card gutted. :)

Hi, i have contacted nvidia and am waiting for thier reply to see if they plan to include driver support for the gtx 460 in OS X 10.6 .I have no idea how helpfull or quick they will be but i will post answer hear if i get one.

Here is my report about the eVGA GTX465:

I'm able to boot in low res mode if I add the Dev-ID "0x06c410de&0xfff0ffff" to NVDAResman.kext, that may be important for the Fix-Kext posted in this Thread.

But that was all I was able to get.

Same here. Wondering if anyone can help at least get it to 1920x1200 on two displays for now.

EDIT - I flashed to EVGA GTX 470 Stock BIOS:

http://www.overclock.net/9027652-post1.html

(not really sure this was the best bios to go with)

Works fine in Windows, OS X sees it as a GTX 470 as well, but still locked in at 1024x768. Any ideas?

Also wondering which Windows benchmark utility would help me determine if I really have 1280MB available?

Same here. Wondering if anyone can help at least get it to 1920x1200 on two displays for now.

EDIT - I flashed to EVGA GTX 470 Stock BIOS:

http://www.overclock.net/9027652-post1.html

(not really sure this was the best bios to go with)

Works fine in Windows, OS X sees it as a GTX 470 as well, but still locked in at 1024x768. Any ideas?

Also wondering which Windows benchmark utility would help me determine if I really have 1280MB available?

I wasn't able to flash my card. =(

Tried everything but always ended in standard VGA card in Windows. My Dev-ID changed from 06c4 to 06c5 instead of the Dev-ID of the GTX470 which is 06cd.

GPU-Z will show you how much VRAM you have. There is another method how to see if there are 10 RAM chips on the PCB, therefore you have to look on the rearside of the PCB. And then it's something with the number of the resistors.

GTX 465 PCB

If you feel some resistors in the area where the red sticker is, you have 10 chips. If the resistors are missing, you only have 1024MB of VRAM.

Gigabyte GTX 470 WORKS!!!

After a lot of trial and error finally it works for some mysterious reason. Keep in mind i have tried so many methods it wasn't funny but after reinstalling god knows how many times and trying various other methods, i installed the chameleon from the first post with a lot of trouble then installed the FermiFix.kext (i think the first time i tried it, it was missing my vendor id) with Kext Helper. This is where it gets weird, this worked for me but it is very very likely much simpler to so than what i did. I used someones EVGA Bootlist with their efi string from this thread ( iwould look it up but i can't be bothered try around page 13 give or take. It didn't work so in single user mode i deleted their bootlist from my Extra folder "sudo rm - /extra/com.apple.boot.plist" and then cp /Users/{me}/Desktop/com.apple.boot.plist /Extra and rebooted. I walked away form my computer thinking what i was going to do now, then i came back and it was working! I then had to reinstall again because Adobe CS4 refuses to install to a Case Sensitive volume and there was no way i was going to make a compromise after all my work. I reinstalled using exactly the same method and hey presto here i am. I cannot believe Adobe doesn't install to Case sensitive volume, is that from bad programming practice or what?

Anyway it works and i'm open to questions. I'm not gonna just gonna post my success and let someone else suffer by themselves am i.

Thanks guys, seriously thanks.

Gigabyte GTX 470 WORKS!!!

After a lot of trial and error finally it works for some mysterious reason. Keep in mind i have tried so many methods it wasn't funny but after reinstalling god knows how many times and trying various other methods, i installed the chameleon from the first post with a lot of trouble then installed the FermiFix.kext (i think the first time i tried it, it was missing my vendor id) with Kext Helper. This is where it gets weird, this worked for me but it is very very likely much simpler to so than what i did. I used someones EVGA Bootlist with their efi string from this thread ( iwould look it up but i can't be bothered try around page 13 give or take. It didn't work so in single user mode i deleted their bootlist from my Extra folder "sudo rm - /extra/com.apple.boot.plist" and then cp /Users/{me}/Desktop/com.apple.boot.plist /Extra and rebooted. I walked away form my computer thinking what i was going to do now, then i came back and it was working! I then had to reinstall again because Adobe CS4 refuses to install to a Case Sensitive volume and there was no way i was going to make a compromise after all my work. I reinstalled using exactly the same method and hey presto here i am. I cannot believe Adobe doesn't install to Case sensitive volume, is that from bad programming practice or what?

Anyway it works and i'm open to questions. I'm not gonna just gonna post my success and let someone else suffer by themselves am i.

Thanks guys, seriously thanks.

Thats good news, I am very happy for you :)

so to sum it up, you followed the standard steps in post 1 and it worked..

then, it was something you were doing wrong back then in your first attempts.

glad it worked for you.

Hi guy`s has anyone tried contacting nvidia about any forthcoming os x drivers for the gtx 460, mine`s a palit oc 1gb version and reading all these posts its not looking good.I might have to stick my 9800 gtx+ back in and return the card gutted. ;)

Hi, i have contacted nvidia and am waiting for thier reply to see if they plan to include driver support for the gtx 460 in OS X 10.6 .I have no idea how helpfull or quick they will be but i will post answer hear if i get one.

the GTX460 is not based on the GF100. and the leaked drivers are for GF100 cards like 465, 470, 480 and 400 Quadro

We are not sure yet in the first place if those drivers are meant for the 400GTX and not the Quadros.

But anyway I doubt that you'd get any satisfying answer in case they replied.

keep us posted though.

nope, good news :)

bad news is that we have to wait till october ... well, or maybe 10.6.5 beta

the GTX460 is not based on the GF100. and the leaked drivers are for GF100 cards like 465, 470, 480 and 400 Quadro

We are not sure yet in the first place if those drivers are meant for the 400GTX and not the Quadros.

not really, nvdagf100hal.kext lists device ids for different architectures (gf100 and gf104 and maybe others ...). the problem (probably) is that the geforce* kexts don't support it yet.

also: the driver i uploaded is the one for geforce gtx 285. there is one for quadro fx 4800 too, but i think it's the same just in a different package.

oh, and i found out how to correctly get/query the vram size. patch and new bootloader coming soon ... ;)

cmf,

Let me get this straight: you mean that the leaked nvdagf100hal.kex is not exclusive for the quadros ?

is there any proof that it supports the standard 400gtx cards beside the 400 quadros?

I am asking this because I am currently planning to buy a video card, and I wanted the 470gtx but I am not sure if it will be fully supported (in case the drivers turned out to be for quadros).. so I am leaning towards a hd5870.

my question is, can I confidently go ahead and buy the 470 now?

But anyway I doubt that you'd get any satisfying answer in case they replied.

keep us posted though.

You were right no the best answer but her it is anyway,

I understand that you would like to know about the future support for GTX 460 with Mac OS.

Due to the competitive nature of this business, we will not be able to discuss information on unannounced future products. However, you can confirm if there is any update from APPLE if the GeForce GTX 460 will be shipped with their future products. Please contact APPLE at 800-275-2273.

So it looks like i will be ringing up but i can`t see them saying much after this response.

But like you pink waters i too could`nt fully understand cmf`s last post as i`am stuck with wot to do with my GTX 460

new stuff @first post, try it if you had issues before.

@gtx 465 folks that successfully flashed to gtx 470, but only have 1024 meg vram: is the vram size displayed correctly in system profiler?

@gtx 460 folks: could someone try again pls?

you mean that the leaked nvdagf100hal.kex is not exclusive for the quadros ?

is there any proof that it supports the standard 400gtx cards beside the 400 quadros?

<string>
			0x06c010de&0xffe0ffff
			0x0dc010de&0xffc0ffff
			0x0e2010de&0xffe0ffff
			0x0ee010de&0xffe0ffff
			0x0f0010de&0xffc0ffff
		</string>

straight from nvdagf100hal.kext, so yes, support for multiple fermi devices.

but noone, but nvidia and apple can say for certain if it will be supported in the future. i'm pretty confident though :)

The chips in the Quadros are essentially the same as those in the "mainstream" cards, it's the details like greater amounts of ram (for manipulating large models), support for error correcting memory and double precision floating point that generally distinguish them from the consumer geforce boards. If you compare the Quadros to the geforce line up you'll see a pretty direct correlation between the 480/470/465 and the Quadro 6000, 5000 and 4000, etc due to this.

But like you pink waters i too could`nt fully understand cmf`s last post as i`am stuck with wot to do with my GTX 460

The biggest question with regards to the quadro cards and the 460, is that AFAIK, all of the new Quadros are g100 based. Though odds are they will release a g104 based board at some point, whether that will do us any good is another question though.

not really, nvdagf100hal.kext lists device ids for different architectures (gf100 and gf104 and maybe others ...). the problem

CMF did say here that the gf104 is listed in the nvdagf100hal.kext file, but I don't really read hex so that list he posted later on doesn't mean anything to me.

cmf,

Let me get this straight: you mean that the leaked nvdagf100hal.kex is not exclusive for the quadros ?

I am asking this because I am currently planning to buy a video card, and I wanted the 470gtx but I am not sure if it will be fully supported (in case the drivers turned out to be for quadros).. so I am leaning towards a hd5870.

I'm in the same boat as you man. I have a 20% off coupon for any EVGA GTX 4XX card, and I really would like to use it to buy this beast http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=015-P3-1489-AR The water cooled 480. But I might end up just buying a HD5870 and water block for it. Comes out to about the same price, but the 480 has more horsepower. Gotta use it by 8/15/2010 too :)

Doing initial trials with 460 now.

Just have one question. I know it's noobish but I am sure I am not the only one wondering.

When you say remove caches do you mean:

sudo rm -r -v /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/*

or

sudo rm /system/library/extensions.mkext

or

m -f /Library/Preferences/com.apple.window*
rm -f /Users/"USERNAME"/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.window*
rm -f /Users/"USERNAME"/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.pref*

or all of the above?

Thanks

rabbit.

Testing System

GA-P55-UD3 - i7-860 - GTX-460 DSDT from TonyMac/MacMan

Clean install 10.6.4 - mpkg method on separate system (no other drives connected)

Install new fermi bootloader via Terminal

rm /s/L/e/NVResman - to enable boot to low res.

Boot system

rm old frameworks

drag in new frameworks

rm old NV kexts

install Kexts... to /S/L/E/ individually with Kexk utility. (I know kext helper is faster but also more problematic, for safety sake and for assurance I use Kext Utility - and the extra time allows me to make thorough notes.).

remove caches, (everything listed in my last post).

repair disk permissions

reboot -f -v

Boot to blank/Black screen (DVi-1 to LCD)

rabbit.

edit/tried both PCi-E slots, x4 and x16

@Gringo Vermelho

Thanks for the clarification.

rabbit.

Just tried on extra thing

Modified Resman plist to include

0x0e2210de&0xffe0ffff

clear caches, repair permissions

reboot -f -v

finishes boot cycle and I can see NVHal100 is loaded and registered and then = Blank screen

rabbit.

edit\ swapped in GTX-470 - boots to full resolution 1920X1200 - But Vsync issue remains.

The chips in the Quadros are essentially the same as those in the "mainstream" cards, it's the details like greater amounts of ram (for manipulating large models), support for error correcting memory and double precision floating point that generally distinguish them from the consumer geforce boards. If you compare the Quadros to the geforce line up you'll see a pretty direct correlation between the 480/470/465 and the Quadro 6000, 5000 and 4000, etc due to this.

The biggest question with regards to the quadro cards and the 460, is that AFAIK, all of the new Quadros are g100 based. Though odds are they will release a g104 based board at some point, whether that will do us any good is another question though.

CMF did say here that the gf104 is listed in the nvdagf100hal.kext file, but I don't really read hex so that list he posted later on doesn't mean anything to me.

Well, the quadro cards performance in games is very low compared to the other 400GTX cards because its not meant for gaming, so maybe thats why we get low FPS with these drivers ?? (just a thought)

Regarding the Hex device IDs in the nvdagf100hal.kext , does the default kext comes with those IDs? or some of those IDs are the ones we edited the kext with to get our cards working?

What I am afraid of:

that those drivers are meant for quadros in the first place. but as the architecture is the same as our cards, we could get our cards identified and working, but with a low performance in FPS as the quadros, beside other incompatibility issues of course.

and that would be too bad :)

@rabbit74, k, thanks for testing.

btw.: i already copied the device ids from nvdagf100hal.kext to nvdaresman.kext.

and file permissions are also correct (or at least working :(). so a simple rm and cp should suffice.

like "sudo rm -Rf /System/Library/Extensions/GeForce*", "sudo rm -Rf /System/Library/Extensions/NVDA*", "sudo cp -R /Volumes/fermi_package_20100803/kexts/* /System/Library/Extensions/".

Regarding the Hex device IDs in the nvdagf100hal.kext , does the default kext comes with those IDs? or some of those IDs are the ones we edited the kext with to get our cards working?

they are already in it. how would anybody know the device ids of future fermi cards that aren't released yet? :>

What I am afraid of:

that those drivers are meant for quadros in the first place. but as the architecture is the same as our cards, we could get our cards identified and working, but with a low performance in FPS as the quadros, beside other incompatibility issues of course.

and that would be too bad :)

even if that is the case, performance would still be far better than now ... it's worse than 8800 gtx atm.

@rabbit74, k, thanks for testing.

so a simple rm and cp should suffice.

like "sudo rm -Rf /System/Library/Extensions/GeForce*", "sudo rm -Rf /System/Library/Extensions/NVDA*", "sudo cp -R /Volumes/fermi_package_20100803/kexts/* /System/Library/Extensions/".

I will definitely do that next time. That's a great tip!

Thank you

rabbit.

they are already in it. how would anybody know the device ids of future fermi cards that aren't released yet? :>

no, I meant the 470, 480, 465, 460 IDs that we insert in the "Resman" kext for our cards to get identified.

but i guess that means that the other geforce kexts does not have support yet for fermi as the leaked nvdagf100hal.kext ?

even if that is the case, performance would still be far better than now ... it's worse than 8800 gtx atm.

yeah but not with the full performance though :)

Hi

I had flashed my 8800GT with a Quadro rom, this with the latest drivers gave me a huge improvement in speed. See previous post.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...amp;pid=1511426

Using Quadro is not all bad, hope to get 460 working.

Albert

how is things going in the windows side ?