10.6.3 nVidia Blank Screen Issue with DVI/HDMI on 9800GT

athena

434 posts in this topic

My hardware : 2 Gigabyte 9800GT with DVI - VGA - HDMI, 1GB ram.

I use DSDT injection for a dual video card setup, nothing else (no specific kext and nothing in my com.apple.boot.plist).

After 2 days trying to make my HDMI port working, I finally pick the HDMI->DVI adapters delivered with the graphic cards... and the HDMI port starts to work. With an HDMI cable, I still have black screens or freezes. My monitor is a Samsung XL2370.

9800GT HDMI ONLY WORKS FINE 10.6 / 10.6.1 WE NEED SERIOUS HELP :)

SETTLE WITH DVI/VGA UNTIL REAL FIX COME UP

CPU: core 2 duo e8500 3,16

MB: ASRock P43Twins1600

Mem: 2X2GB KINGSTON DDR2 800 mhz

Video: GeForce 9800GT 1024MB

HDD: 2X160 GB + 1 TB HDD

 Retail Mac OSX 10.6 + Upd 10.6.4

Hi everybody,

After have it working with 10.6.4 (see my last post here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...&p=1570549), 10.6.5 killed it :P .

So i savagely (didn't do a back up :) ) installed 10.6.5 via the combo update and... it didn't worked... Blue screen again... NVEnabler 64.kext doesn't seem to work anymore, maybe now i have to inject graphic card id in nvdanv50hal and nvdaresman?

Let's see other reports...

Bye

Been following this thread closely in the hope someone might pop in with my gfx card but seems I am in a major minority when it comes OSX with my hardware...

I was wondering if any of you with more knowledge than I could confirm/suggest a method for me to get my external monitor working with the latest update (10.6.5) , currently stuck on 10.6.2.

I have a GTX285m (mobile) GPU and have seen various methods working for people but with different cards and I am not sure how or if these cards relate to mine at all...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Yes, I have the same problem. The nvidia drivers get initilized but get blank screen when the windowserver should start up. I use a DVI Monitor which is HDCP able. I had the same problem when updating from 10.6.3. to 10.6.4. I solved it with injecting the MacPro8800GT.rom within the boot loader, but now when updating from 10.6.4 to 10.6.5 I have the same problem again.

I did not find a solution for this so far and I hope someone knows what the problem is. The update contains driver updates for all kinds of GPUs (Intel, ATI and NVidia), so I guess it has something to do with this.

I was really surprised to see the same problem again after injecting an original 8800GT BIOS. I am nearly vanilla an all other parts of the hardware (except voodooHDA and Realtek Ethernet).

Someone else who has this blank screen problem again in 10.6.5??

Best regards

macdanger

10.6.4, my system is running fine but when the 10.6.5 Upgrade... Problems arise.

Palit GeForce 9800GT Green Ed.

- Black screen on running SC2 but with sound.

- Blue Screen on boot-up

To be able to show the display again, Needs to Sleep (Command+Alt+F12) then awake. But brightness decreases.

I think it happens everytime Display resolution refreshes.

Hmmmm.....

hmmm,

if going back to vga connectors only is an option for you -> vga only works @10.6.5 (efi,dsdt)(with 3x g92 cards)...

Is there anybody out there who got at least 2 cards running with 10.6.4 and (dvi -> hdmi or dvi ->dvi (not only vga)??)

I do not get this rom or enabler thing running with more than 1 gpu card... :P

Maybe someone tried this and knows how to use several rom files with one injector, to get at least 4 monitor working?!?

Thanx

I can confirm that my eVGA 9800GT 1GB had DVI-HDMI working with the 8800 ROM fix under 10.6.4, and now with 10.6.5 it no longer works.

This is not a solution but I simply replaced the NVEnabler.kext with this .

Now I can boot my system but with max resolution 1600x1200 e no QE/CE.

Bye

Perhaps I should clarify...With completely vanilla 10.6.5, and the following strings in com.apple.Boot.plist:

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1920x1200x32 </string>

I get the following in System Profiler:

GeForce 9800 GT:

Chipset Model: GeForce 9800 GT

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0605

Revision ID: 0x00a2

ROM Revision: xx.xx.xx - internal

Displays:

SyncMaster:

Resolution: 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Display Connector:

The SyncMaster is connected via DVI, not VGA, so that at least is working. It is only DVI to HDMI that is a problem.

This is not a solution but I simply replaced the NVEnabler.kext with this .

Now I can boot my system but with max resolution 1600x1200 e no QE/CE.

Bye

1) Update to 10.6.5

2) Replaced in S/L NVDANV50Hal.kext and NVDAResman.kext (pick them up from 10.6.4)

3) Added to extra EVOenabler.kext

Now My profiler see the correct GC at the correct resolution 1900x1200 but no QE/CE supported