10.6.3 nVidia Blank Screen Issue with DVI/HDMI on 9800GT

athena

434 posts in this topic

Ok, so after 6 reinstalls and over 40 reboots, I got this working on 10.6.6. Using the NV files and framework from 10.6.2, and the BIOS method it works. Only problem so far is that I have a ghost display (800x600) which isnt a dealbreaker though.

Files that are being used are uploaded here. They weren't uploaded by me. Credit goes to glitchman for the upload.

CPU : Intel Core2Duo E6750

MoBo : DG33FB

Video Card : MSI 9800GT 512MB

Installation Method : Hazard 10.6.2 + 10.6.6 Combo Update

64 bit Working.

This is a vanilla-ish install with everything working.

25ztnxf.png

Hi all.

After upgrading from 10.6.2 to 10.6.5 (later to 10.6.6) finally, after much experimentation I managed to get to work a second monitor (42 "TV) connected via DVI-HDMI adapter to Elitegroup GeForce 250GT with two DVI

To this end, it took me:

Latest CUDA 3.2.17 driver (though I do not know why)

From 10.6.2, I took the OpenGL.framework and OpenSL.framework placed in /S/L/Frameworks/

From 10.6.1, I took GeForce.kext, NVDANV50Hal.kext, NVDAResman.kext and placed in /S/L/E

Versions of all the kext in /S/L/E are CFBundleShortVersionString ver. 1.6.2, CFBundleVersion ver. 6.0.2

I also used a custom DSDT for my MB P5K-VM, Sound and Video Card + Chameleon-2.0-RC5-r698 + GraphicsEnabler = Yes in /Extra/com.apple.boot.plist

I don't use NVEnabler.kext.

As a result, operating fully worked QE/QI, change resolutions, worked VLC, etc...

This solution works for me, DVI-HDMI TV works. But No QE ((

FPS about 30-40 instead 4000.

This solution works for me, DVI-HDMI TV works. But No QE ((

FPS about 30-40 instead 4000.

If using chameleon at boot prompt type Wait=Yes, and take a screenshot and upload it here. I had the similar problem, but I want to know if its exactly the same (otherwise the solution can make it worse)

If using chameleon at boot prompt type Wait=Yes, and take a screenshot and upload it here. I had the similar problem, but I want to know if its exactly the same (otherwise the solution can make it worse)

I did it. But after "Press any key to continue..." everything freeze, and does not respond to key-press

UPD: I did it! Everything works perfectly! FPS 4000, DVI-HDMI(TV), VLC, etc...

1. You should use NVEnabler or DSDT with GFX section (my choice) + new boot!

2. You should use files from 10.6.1 + changed NVDAResman.kext, GeForce.kext, NVHDANV50Hal.kext + Frameworks (GL & CL) + GraphicsEnabler = Yes in com.apple.boot.plist

All needed files: http://rapidshare.com/files/442925997/10.6.5_sstyle.zip

20110116224614.jpg

UPD: Another variant instead DSDT\NVEnabler is new boot + NVCAP_devid in com.apple.boot.plist

1. Place boot to /

2. Extract NVCAP with NVCAPMaker from rom file of your Video Card and add it to com.apple.boot.plist:

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>UseNvidiaROM</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>NVCAP_0614</key>

<string>0400000000000300100000000000000700000000</string>

Ok, so after 6 reinstalls and over 40 reboots, I got this working on 10.6.6. Using the NV files and framework from 10.6.2, and the BIOS method it works. Only problem so far is that I have a ghost display (800x600) which isnt a dealbreaker though.

Files that are being used are uploaded here. They weren't uploaded by me. Credit goes to glitchman for the upload.

CPU : Intel Core2Duo E6750

MoBo : DG33FB

Video Card : MSI 9800GT 512MB

Installation Method : Hazard 10.6.2 + 10.6.6 Combo Update

64 bit Working.

This is a vanilla-ish install with everything working.

25ztnxf.png

Solution works on full vanilla install, too. I also have ghost display ... what really sucks with this setup, is the need to replace files after each update ... think i´ll have to investigate some deeper ...

Anyway: thanks for the solution so far !!! :angel:

post-65306-1295293149_thumb.jpg

That's great news!

Does that include HDMI resolution, or just the VGA workaround in a different way?

Could you please write down a step by step installation guide for HDMI to work.

( I'll start a new install from OSX 10.6 retail to 10.6.6 )

Could you also write down all the download links necessary for this to work?

I'm asking because I want it to succeed in one time, I'm worried my hard drive can't handle a few more re-installs :)

much appreciated, I've been looking for a solution for ages. :D

1. You should use NVEnabler or DSDT with GFX section (my choice) + new boot!

2. You should use files from 10.6.1 + changed NVDAResman.kext, GeForce.kext, NVHDANV50Hal.kext + Frameworks (GL & CL) + GraphicsEnabler = Yes in com.apple.boot.plist

All needed files: http://rapidshare.com/files/442925997/10.6.5_sstyle.zip

Whoop whoop!!

Thought I would try updating again on the chance that this might work, and it did! from 10.6.2 up to 10.6.6 , dvi-hdmi working and full QE/CI. Even updated my bootloader on the EFI drive to latest chameleon. Nice.

Thanks a lot to everyone helping on this thread and to the poster above for easy access to files.

That's great news!

Does that include HDMI resolution, or just the VGA workaround in a different way?

Could you please write down a step by step installation guide for HDMI to work.

( I'll start a new install from OSX 10.6 retail to 10.6.6 )

Could you also write down all the download links necessary for this to work?

I'm asking because I want it to succeed in one time, I'm worried my hard drive can't handle a few more re-installs :rolleyes:

much appreciated, I've been looking for a solution for ages. :D

It works for me via a DVI -> HDMI connector. Just use the files I listed in the post before. Download them and save it to the desktop after unzip. Install 10.6 retail, update via combo updater, let it reboot and freak out, reboot again via -s (Single User mode) and copy the files via command line. Do all the changes(to the boot.plist files, etc) before the upgrade so its easier to do all. I worked via command line because I have a linux background, but it might not be that easy for you to do so.

Solution works on full vanilla install, too. I also have ghost display ... what really sucks with this setup, is the need to replace files after each update ... think i´ll have to investigate some deeper ...

Anyway: thanks for the solution so far !!! :)

Do what I did and write a script and save it in your home directory, and run it every time you need to update. I only needed a 10.6.6 update for the Mac Store.

Install 10.6 retail, update via combo updater, let it reboot and freak out, reboot again via -s (Single User mode) and copy the files via command line.

You can copy the Gfx files after you have updated but BEFORE hitting the button to reboot. Saves you faffing in command line. You can also use something like kext helper b7 to easily install the gfx kexts which sorts all the permissions out for you too.

You can copy the Gfx files after you have updated but BEFORE hitting the button to reboot. Saves you faffing in command line. You can also use something like kext helper b7 to easily install the gfx kexts which sorts all the permissions out for you too.

For me it would just panic at the end of the combo updater and reboot on its own. It still does update fine though.

It works for me via a DVI -> HDMI connector. Just use the files I listed in the post before. Download them and save it to the desktop after unzip. Install 10.6 retail, update via combo updater, let it reboot and freak out, reboot again via -s (Single User mode) and copy the files via command line. Do all the changes(to the boot.plist files, etc) before the upgrade so its easier to do all. I worked via command line because I have a linux background, but it might not be that easy for you to do so.

I never really worked with command lines in OSX before.

Could you explain to me how to copy from source to destination?

Thanks again, You've made my day :(

cp -R source destination - copy

mv -R source destionation - move

I guess what I really meant to ask was

Could you please write down every command line I need to write in terminal?

I will be unzipping it streight onto OSX desktop

So from OSX desktop to destination.

Or if it can be done in finder, in which folders should I copy them to.

Sometimes I see the same folder twice, so it can be confusing sometimes, and I need to do it right in one time.

I will be running OSX as my only OS, so I have no connection after that (unless I use a boot disk)

I also noticed a .rom file in the extra folder, correct? I use a GTS250 card which is basicaly the same my ID would be 10de_0615.rom ( if I were to extract rom from my videocard )

I guess what I really meant to ask was

Could you please write down every command line I need to write in terminal?

I will be unzipping it streight onto OSX desktop

So from OSX desktop to destination.

Or if it can be done in finder, in which folders should I copy them to.

Sometimes I see the same folder twice, so it can be confusing sometimes, and I need to do it right in one time.

I will be running OSX as my only OS, so I have no connection after that (unless I use a boot disk)

I also noticed a .rom file in the extra folder, correct? I use a GTS250 card which is basicaly the same my ID would be 10de_0615.rom ( if I were to extract rom from my videocard )

I think it would be better if I wrote a script to do this. Maybe I will do this later in the day.

I think it would be better if I wrote a script to do this. Maybe I will do this later in the day.

Thank you for your effort!

I think you would make a lot of people happy with that :P

Does the older files affect video performance drastically compared to the new ones, or maybe even security issues?

I've been wondering that for a couple of days.

Thank you for your effort!

I think you would make a lot of people happy with that :)

Does the older files affect video performance drastically compared to the new ones, or maybe even security issues?

I've been wondering that for a couple of days.

I am working on that script now. I will upload it will all the files and everything so its simple for everyone to do so.

As for video performance I dont really know, but I can play the games I own really well (Killing Floor anybody?, COD4, etc). There are no artifacts or any other problems(I dont know about the ones that people might have with a different setup).

As for security issues, I haven't heard or read anything about it. Well even if there is one, it is a price you have to pay (for wanting to update to 10.6.6 and running OSx86 [which is a much bigger issue, but I wont touch that here])

The files and the script is located here : http://rapidshare.com/files/443950655/nVidia.tar.gz

After downloading the files, copy the folder to your desktop. Go to the Extra folder, edit the com.apple.Boot.plist as needed. Open Terminal.app, and enter the following commands :

chmod +x updateDrivers.sh

sudo ./updateDrivers.sh

It should ask you for your password, Enter and the updating should run. Once it is done, double check your boot.plist file and reboot.

The script has been tested, and like always I would not take any responsibility if anyone ends up screwing your system if you did something wrong.

And please report back if it works for you.

-H

P.S. : If a kind heart would like to donate, PM me, and I will tell you how you can do that.

I am working on that script now. I will upload it will all the files and everything so its simple for everyone to do so.

As for video performance I dont really know, but I can play the games I own really well (Killing Floor anybody?, COD4, etc). There are no artifacts or any other problems(I dont know about the ones that people might have with a different setup).

As for security issues, I haven't heard or read anything about it. Well even if there is one, it is a price you have to pay (for wanting to update to 10.6.6 and running OSx86 [which is a much bigger issue, but I wont touch that here])

The files and the script is located here : http://rapidshare.com/files/443950655/nVidia.tar.gz

After downloading the files, copy the folder to your desktop. Go to the Extra folder, edit the com.apple.Boot.plist as needed. Open Terminal.app, and enter the following commands :

chmod +x updateDrivers.sh

sudo ./updateDrivers.sh

It should ask you for your password, Enter and the updating should run. Once it is done, double check your boot.plist file and reboot.

The script has been tested, and like always I would not take any responsibility if anyone ends up screwing your system if you did something wrong.

And please report back if it works for you.

-H

P.S. : If a kind heart would like to donate, PM me, and I will tell you how you can do that.

Thanks, I will be installing OSX tonight, I will reply with the result soon as possible.

I will be installing OSX 10.6 retail and upgrading to 10.6.6 ( Which also works to this version, right? ) Do I need to install your files before or after the updates?

I have good Graphics performance with QE etc, but games like WOW or UT2004 can be slow.

Again, I use a GTS250 (g92), so I probably need to do some minor adjustments, right?

Thanks again, you will be hearing from me.

Thanks, I will be installing OSX tonight, I will reply with the result soon as possible.

I will be installing OSX 10.6 retail and upgrading to 10.6.6 ( Which also works to this version, right? ) Do I need to install your files before or after the updates?

I have good Graphics performance with QE etc, but games like WOW or UT2004 can be slow.

Again, I use a GTS250 (g92), so I probably need to do some minor adjustments, right?

Thanks again, you will be hearing from me.

You do this after the update. But unzip the files before hand to the desktop.

You do this after the update. But unzip the files before hand to the desktop.

Sorry about the delay.

I Needed to finish some Windows business first.

I will now:

1 Install OSX 10.6 Retail

2 Install latest chameleon bootloader from kexts website

3 Use custom boot.plist

4 Use custom DSDT

5 Extact your files to desktop

6 Install updates to 10.6.6

7 Run your script

Again, my vendor_dev is 10de_0615, not 10de_0614.

Am I able to use my own .rom for my videocard for this to work?

Maybe more important, do I need to manually change anything else related to my vendor_device?

Please reply soon as possible as I will install OSX right now and do not take risks before this is made clear. If all went well I will reply back with the results of your script.

Sorry about the delay.

I Needed to finish some Windows business first.

I will now:

1 Install OSX 10.6 Retail

2 Install latest chameleon bootloader from kexts website

3 Use custom boot.plist

4 Use custom DSDT

5 Extact your files to desktop

6 Install updates to 10.6.6

7 Run your script

Again, my vendor_dev is 10de_0615, not 10de_0614.

Am I able to use my own .rom for my videocard for this to work?

Maybe more important, do I need to manually change anything else related to my vendor_device?

Please reply soon as possible as I will install OSX right now and do not take risks before this is made clear. If all went well I will reply back with the results of your script.

Do a thing, once you download the files and extract it to the desktop, go to the extra folder, copy the .rom file and make a 10de_0615.rom file. You dont need to change anything else manually. It should all be fine.

Thanks.

I'am about to run your script.

*I've extracted your file and copied file and maps from nVidia Drivers directory straight to the desktop.

*I've copied 10de_0614.rom, renamed it to 10de_0615.rom and copied to /Extra

Do I need to install cuda drivers like stated somewhere before one of your posts.

If yes, please Link me the correct version.

Do I still need to add NVCAP string to boot.plist?

( that's what I've been reading some posts before. )

Thanks ( Just wanted to be sure, So I can do this right in 1 time, not a billion because I might have overlooked something )

Does this rom downgrades my performance?

Like I said before, I'm using a GTS250 OC edition and I'am overriding it with a 9800GT rom, correct?

Thanks.

I'am about to run your script.

*I've extracted your file and copied file and maps from nVidia Drivers directory straight to the desktop.

*I've copied 10de_0614.rom, renamed it to 10de_0615.rom and copied to /Extra

Do I need to install cuda drivers like stated somewhere before one of your posts.

If yes, please Link me the correct version.

Do I still need to add NVCAP string to boot.plist?

( that's what I've been reading some posts before. )

Thanks ( Just wanted to be sure, So I can do this right in 1 time, not a billion because I might have overlooked something )

Does this rom downgrades my performance?

Like I said before, I'm using a GTS250 OC edition and I'am overriding it with a 9800GT rom, correct?

No you dont need to NVCAP strings, you just have to set GraphicsEnabler (see my boot.plist file). Cuda drivers are not required. It shouldn't downgrade your perfomance because a GT250 is basically a renamed 9800GT.

Okay, Then I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Almost done installing 10.6.6 combo update.

I let you know in about 15 minutes from now :)

Thanks again for the effort, I appreciate it.

Looking forward to have HDMI working again.

It worked great in 10.6 retail, until someday it froze and realized it was the updates that caused it.

So I'm defiantly happy with 10.6 retail performance.

Do you happen to know a good solid benchmark for testing afterwards?

Okay, Then I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Almost done installing 10.6.6 combo update.

I let you know in about 15 minutes from now :)

Thanks again for the effort, I appreciate it.

Looking forward to have HDMI working again.

It worked great in 10.6 retail, until someday it froze and realized it was the updates that caused it.

So I'm defiantly happy with 10.6 retail performance.

Do you happen to know a good solid benchmark for testing afterwards?

There is geekbench to test perfomance. And all the best with the update.

There is geekbench to test perfomance. And all the best with the update.

chmod +x updateDrivers.sh ( No such file or directory )

sudo ./updateDrivers.sh (Password:)

I did not enter password yet because the first command line failed.

Am I doing something wrong in the first command line?

My guess is that I need to navigate to desktop in terminal first, but I don't know how.