10.6.3 nVidia Blank Screen Issue with DVI/HDMI on 9800GT

athena

434 posts in this topic

in 10.6.4 i used a overclocked 8800 gt mac bios. basically used a rom editor in windows to change settings to match 9800gtx+ and used nvclock to check clock speeds..

the only issue i have with the bios inject is it breaks sleep :)...

i was looking at getting a new card but the 5770 doesnt give enough of a lift to justify the $$$ and gtx 460 isnt compatible.. I am not a happy camper right now ..

Hi...

My card is G92 9800GT 1G

Here is two ioreg dumps from 10.6.0 (hdmi works), and 10.6.5 (hdmi not work)

using the same DSDT.

There're many difference between them, maybe caused by driver changes

An interest point is, in good screen log, it has a

twinView-driver string, that is not exist in bad screen log,

maybe it's removed by new nVIDIA driver.

The other is at NVKernel section, good log has 2 Surface, but bad log has none!!

It seems cannot be solved via changing NVCAP value in my case, since the NVCAP value

in those two logs is identical.

Also, this may or may not be solved by adding more information in DSDT

Don't know if this helps....

Hope somebody with good experiences may figure something interest in those logs

thanks

blank_screen_gfx.txt

good_screen_gfx.txt

OKAY.

I finally fixed the issue, and was able to get back to having dual displays on my 9800GT, one with DVI-->HDMI, and one with VGA. I have attached the files that I used, just move all of the Extensions to /S/L/E/, and the Framework to /S/L/Frameworks. Also enclosed is my Extra folder so that you can see how the com.apple.Boot.plist file is to be setup. Enjoy!

-Nick

http://rapidshare.com/files/431696510/DualDisplay9800GT.zip

Hello

I'm french, sorry for my bad english

This way works for me, thanks a lot

It's works with only one screen HDMI but a small screen VGA is detected then It's not connected

Update:

Hey guys, sorry I haven't posted here earlier but I found something that might be the same problem for people here.

After trying 3 different video cards, It seems my motherboard has pcie 1.0 and 1.0a(or b?). I know that pcie does in fact accept 2.0 into 1.0, however my board in Mac will not do this. Therefore, the cause of my black screen.

(all cards worked in win 7 xp and vista) and no bios fixes are for my board on this issue due to it being a mac issue on a pc board.

Hope this might help people out ;)

Installed Osx 10.6.5 using all original settings simply plugged my GC to VGA connector.

Results : Everithing works properly with QE/CE Enabled.

Second attempt : Removed from extra any injector or kext for enabling GC and installed before rebooting this :http://www.kexts.com/view/658-cuda_-_universal_driver_nvidia.html

Results : Everithing works as before no video output through HDMI (only VGA works) , I really do not know if cuda has improved some video performances.

Regards

Tuxy

Did you fix permissions after following Glitchman's steps and editing both NVDAResman.kext and NVDAN50HAL.kext ?

Sorry what do you mean by

Glitchman's steps and editing both NVDAResman.kext and NVDAN50HAL.kext ?
I never saw those steps anywhere?

I was wondering am I missing steps???

1. move Extensions to /S/L/E/ (with kexthelper b7)

2. manually move Framework to /S/L/Frameworks

3. edit apple.Boot.plist to corresponding GFX

Cause I'm unable to solve my issue on 10.6.5, meaning no HDMI/DVI - Crash upon restart/shut down

I am trying to connect DVI/HDMI to my HDMI TV, used to work after 10.6.2 stopped working get black screen, no signal/monitor disconnected

CAN ANYONE SHED A LIGHT ON THIS PLEASE???

I'm so noob...

1. How can i move Extensions to /S/L/E/ using kexthelper b7? (it only perform "easy installation", i suppose to /Extra)

2. Is possible that i haven't /S/L/E/ folder in my SL? Can i create it simply by Finder? And where i need to put this folder? (i suppose to /Extra)

3. I'm sorry... what do you mean by "edit apple.Boot.plist to corresponding GFX"?

4. How must edit NVDAResman.kext and NVDAN50HAL.kext? is there any guide?

Hello! I have done some tests on this matter!!

I can confirm that in 10.6.5 loading of mac bootcamp vga roms (in my case mbp3,1 nvidia rom 8600m 256mb) by chameleon is prevented, and therefore hdmi is impossible, only inbuilt monitor (laptop) will boot with DSDT graphics only.

When using GraphicsEnabler=Yes with vid_pid.rom in /Extra i.e. 10de_0407 it is stuck at booting after Ethernet loaded

I have tried:-

Replacing all graphics related frameworks with ones from 10.6.4 - no change, stuck at booting after Ethernet (about 7 frameworks, such as Quartz, CoreVideo, OpenCL, OpenGL, DVD and Screensaver)

Replaced all the NV* and GeForce kext and bundles with ones form 10.6.4 - no change, stuck at booting after Ethernet

Tried replacing system.kext and added 10.6.4. Kernel with bootflag - no change, stuck at booting after Ethernet (booting 10.6.4 kernel)

I can now conclude that there is something in 10.6.5 which is preventing nvidia ROMs from being loaded at boot, but it is nothing to do with Nvidia drivers, Kernel or frameworks.

Please note, all the above options i tried, including vanilla 10.6.5 install boot fine without the ROMs and graphics enabler engaged (just dsdt gfx). I assume also that GraphicsEnabler would have worked as well, without the rom in extra, but I have not tried it.

This problem will need to be thoroughly debugged. Please advise if someone has the knowledge to do this!!

I am using nvidia 8xxx series 8600m 256mb

Many thanks,

HC :unsure:

8800gt mac rom or a modded 8800gt pc rom + 10.6.4 nvidia drivers and opencl&gl frameworks works on 10.6.5. I'll post the rom injected nvenabler (my 9800gt nvcap inside the info.plist, you may need to change it) and the 10.6.4 files as pkg installer. I was about to get one of the fermi cards but i gave up for now, because of the lack of opengl support of current drivers.

Hi, the method you talk about will that work for me, I got an 9800GT card and would like DVI>HDMI to work like it does on 10.6.0

Could you perhaps tell me in steps when I should do and where I can get the appropriate files? I would like to update to 10.6.5

I would really appreciate it

OKAY.

I finally fixed the issue, and was able to get back to having dual displays on my 9800GT, one with DVI-->HDMI, and one with VGA. I have attached the files that I used, just move all of the Extensions to /S/L/E/, and the Framework to /S/L/Frameworks. Also enclosed is my Extra folder so that you can see how the com.apple.Boot.plist file is to be setup. Enjoy!

-Nick

http://rapidshare.com/files/431696510/DualDisplay9800GT.zip

I tried this on my machine (10.6.5 with a PNY 9800GT) and got a kernel panic on startup. Not sure where it originates.

[edit] restored the old files and now I'm stuck at 1024x768 on one monitor. Seems I borked something in the process.

nvidia 10.6.4 drivers http://www.mediafire.com/?216jwwea9bf5it0

rom injected nvenabler http://www.mediafire.com/?69lngelq5idu60m - for dual screens, extract your cards nvcap (google is your friend), edit Info.plist and use your nvcap. Install the kext using kext utility.

Hi,thanks for your reply :0 - to make sure I understand, are these above instruction in addition to the below, in other words do I need these both?

Extensions to /S/L/E/, and the Framework to /S/L/Frameworks. com.apple.Boot.plist

install the 10.6.4 g92 package after applying 10.6.5 update.

you will need an enabler (graphics enabler or efi string or an enabler like nvenabler) + vbios rom override. you can use one of the enabler methods + modded 8800gt rom (using the bootloader's vbios rom override option via com.apple.Boot.plist) or you can just use that nvenabler which is an enabler of course and already includes the modded 8800gt bios, plus you can easily edit nvcap. 3 in one.

Hey thanks a lot that totally got my displays working over HDMI, only problem I am facing now no reboot, shutdown any idea how to solve that? I followed the method using NVenabler...before HDMI fix it used to kernel panic now its all working but wont shutdown/reboot

Let me know please if you got an idea, thnx

Dear uphuck,

I appreciate that this forum is for 9800 but it’s the nearest thread I could find to what I need!!

As discussed, I had hdmi working on 10.6.4 w/ Graphics Enabler + ROM with the same type of nvidia card.

I would like to use your method for injection nvrom into nvenabler to enable hdmi on my 8600m on 10.6.5. I have the rom already but i am not sure how to :-

a) successfully Insert mbp3,1 8600m 256 bootcamp vga rom into nvenabler correctly (main requirement) is this done via ioregistry? how do i avoid gaps in the entry?

I have a working nvcap and display-cfg is in the rom itself

;) patch an existing nvrom for hdmi (optional, but would be useful for a 8600gt desktop model) after 10.6.2

Thanks in advance,

HC

ps does your trick work with GraphicsEnabler as well? I couldn't get it to work on my lappie, as discussed in my previous post

One last thing, do you have a guide for running raid 0 or 1 with triple boot ? :-) using linux, 10.6 and windows 7, thx

hey,

first of all it is not my trick, injecting rom into nvenabler method is from idoc

secondly, mac 8800gt rom did not work for me. when I converted the base64 code in nvenabler plist, it came out with a 64k file. mac vbios roms are 128k. but that rom is working for most 8800 and 9800 and hopefully for gts250. i dunno what is modified in that pc vbios rom for our hdmi problems but it is working. you can edit that rom to match your 8600 gpu core speeds and use it.

i am running raid0(3X) linux, raid0(3X) mac and a poor windows on 3 disks, triple booting with grub and chameleon is ok, probably a windows software may do that. i did not write a guide about this but the main trick is partitioning and booter installation for linux especially. for iatkos raid installation, bootloader is installed on the first disk, when you boot first disk by your bios then chameleon will start, so the other disks are free for other bootloader installations. for partitioning, better to modify the partition table using disk utility.

hey,

first of all it is not my trick, injecting rom into nvenabler method is from idoc

secondly, mac 8800gt rom did not work for me. when I converted the base64 code in nvenabler plist, it came out with a 64k file. mac vbios roms are 128k. but that rom is working for most 8800 and 9800 and hopefully for gts250. i dunno what is modified in that pc vbios rom for our hdmi problems but it is working. you can edit that rom to match your 8600 gpu core speeds and use it.

Hi, I'm trying to get my 8600gt working with HDMI. Tried to install your Nvenabler.kext, system says something like "this extension can not be used with system"..I understand that I have to edit Nvenabler.kext to work with my card, but I don't know what exactly I need to do. Do I need to edit Info.plist inside kext and paste rom or something? Could you give me an advise?

Thanks. And sorry for my English.

Thanks uphuck!

the mac nvidia efi roms are bigger yes, but you dont need the efi / osx stuff, just the boot camp pc bios bit (please correct me if i am wrong)

Your driver package worked great on my lappie and im using the boot camp rom mbp3,1 from the efi update 1.5.1 for the 8600 with graphics enabler (no nvenabler)

you can use pheonixtools (win32) to decompress and extract the modules (contained in its folder)

look for B0A7CB3B-0049-4069-8445-481437BC2ED3_0_358.ROM (use grep to find nvidia)

you will need to open it in hex editor like 0e.app and trim/remove the top section of the rom before 55AA (offset 20)

save as vendorid_productid.rom for insertion in /Extra using bootflags GraphicsEnabler=Yes UseNvidiaROM=Yes and VBIOS=Yes or in nvenabler (instructions below)

you can mod the clocks etc in nbitor under wine.app from winebottler /crossover or windows

when you save the rom it will calculate a new checksum. save as and keep a copy of the original rom.

you can use this method to match the clocks from your original card. i am using the original setting of mac rom, no mods, no issues

apparently voltage change has no effect and is set at boot (gpu bios is a module in pc bios)

nvenabler - inserting your own rom

to get nvenabler working, open the kext and open the plist, then :

1) open your .rom in 0e.app

or

2) copy the output of ioreg -lw0 | grep vbios after booting the rom in graphics enabler + rom and paste it into a new instance of 0e.app (just hex without <>)

then

copy the hex data from 0e.app and paste the data into plisteditpro or whatever you use, between some new <> brackets in the vbios section (assuming you are using the nvenabler supplied by uphuck, which contains this optional entry)

getting the data from 0e.app makes sure it is in the right format to be received by plisteditpro

save modified .plist file

ps i would recommend that you also remove the lines for display-cfg and maybe hda-gfx in nvenabler when using 8600. display-cfg are read directly from the roms as far as i know (seen as <ff ff ff ff> in ioregistry when using vbios .rom)

also use GraphicsEnabler to calculate the correct nvcap for your card. nvcaps from nvcapmaker do not fix tv out on osx and is generally not always that accurate.

graphics enabler also patches your rom for tv and other features

here is my minimal gfx0 in dsdt (optional)

Device (GFX0)

{

Name (_ADR, Zero)

Name (_SUN, One)

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)

{

Store (Package ()

{

"@0,built-in",

Buffer (Zero) {},

"@0,compatible",

Buffer (0x0B)

{

"NVDA,NVMac"

},

"@0,device_type",

Buffer (0x08)

{

"display"

},

"@0,name",

Buffer (0x0F)

{

"NVDA,Display-A"

},

"@1,compatible",

Buffer (0x0B)

{

"NVDA,NVMac"

},

"@1,device_type",

Buffer (0x08)

{

"display"

},

"@1,name",

Buffer (0x0F)

{

"NVDA,Display-B"

},

"NVCAP",

Buffer (0x18)

{

/* 0000 */ 0x04, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x01, 0x00,

/* 0008 */ 0x0E, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x0A,

/* 0010 */ 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00

},

"VRAM,totalsize",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x10

},

"device_type",

Buffer (0x0C)

{

"NVDA,Parent"

},

"model",

Buffer (0x12)

{

"GeForce 8600M GT "

},

"rom-revision",

Buffer (0x0F)

{

"60.84.49.03.00"

}

}, Local0)

DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))

Return (Local0)

}

thanks again for the installer uphuck and 8600m users have fun with all outputs working from this guide on 10.6.5

read my other posts if you need any more info

You mean NVEnabler here right?

also use GraphicsEnabler to calculate the correct nvcap for your card (...)

graphics enabler also patches your rom for tv and other features

I use GraphicsEnabler, but with display-cfg injected via DSDT, and loading the video card ROM as patched by NVEnabler (extracted from ioreg when running NVEnabler).

This gets me working analog TV-out, both DVI outputs work too. I haven't tested HDMI.

I have the same problem, 9800GT DVI to HDMI worked flawlessly until 10.6.4 by loading 8800GT bios image with chameleon,

with 10.6.5 I just get a blank screen.

I tried flashing my card with 8800GT bios and it worked, I get dual display (DVI+HDMI) by using GRAPHICSENABLER

(without addidional rom/vbios)

but windows 7 doesn't approve :(

I get blank screen in windows after installing nvidia drivers

if anyone else is brave enough to try, here is the bios I tried

http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/1864/Gi....512.071012.bin

I use GraphicsEnabler, but with display-cfg injected via DSDT, and loading the video card ROM as patched by NVEnabler (extracted from ioreg when running NVEnabler).

This gets me working analog TV-out, both DVI outputs work too. I haven't tested HDMI.

How do I extract video card rom from IOREG?

You mean NVEnabler here right?

no, i used GraphicsEnabler which i think uses the same code for nvcap generation

great, are you using a completely vanilla system or 10.6.4 kexts etc ?

also please post your dsdt and display-cfg data if you dont mind

nice guide hotcorez..

thanks mate! i hope this can help people with 8600m cards

How do I extract video card rom from IOREG?

please see my guide for the grep command

also, if anyone has a solution to enable all outputs on the 8600 desktop card, it would be great!

thx