10.6.3 nVidia Blank Screen Issue with DVI/HDMI on 9800GT

athena

434 posts in this topic

Finally I've got GeForce 9800GT 512MB working on SL 10.6.4 by using :

- NVEnabler 64.kext with 8800 bios injected by idoc <<Thank you again>>

- New Nvidia GeForce driver for 10.6.4

http://redirectingat.com/?id=292X457&x...wtopic%3D222913

From this thread I've found that this driver for GTX 285 also work with 8800 model.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=222913

On my pc, using NVEnabler alone make the display screen working fine but It causes my mouse go jummpy and this problem gone when I updated to new Nvidia driver.

another update in the long saga...

despite the various postings of positive outcomes, AFAIK no one has actually *solved* this hdmi issue. The only one that comes close is injecting the 8800 bios (through various methods), and it's a heavily flawed solution (at least for my 9800GT).

I finally bought a 9500GT, as it was indicated to be immune from this HDMI-HDCP issue. I even got a silent one (zotac zone edition), so I could maintain my noise levels. Upon installing it and booting, however, I found myself facing the black screen of death again! but this time not on the HDMI, but the DVI itself!! :)

Took me forever to realize that the problem wasn't the chameleon graphicsenabler or other drivers, but that the DVI port is simply crippled on the 9500 - it behaves exactly the same as the HDMI does on my 9800 in 10.6.4. The packaging mentions how the card is "HDCP Ready" (though this is quite an old card). My best guess is that the DVI port is having HDCP issues, but they hadn't implemented HDCP for the HDMI port...

The VGA had been working the whole time - and yes, the HDMI worked *flawlessly* with nothing but graphicsenabler=yes in chameleon...

Found other threads mention they had to boot up with something attached to HDMI, then switch over to DVI after boot .... :(

This whole exercise was to give me a working dual-monitor setup with DVI and HDMI. So I had no choice but to cram both massive heatsink video cards into my case and figure out how to get multiple cards working...

to recap -

- Gigabyte Silent Cell 9800GT: DVI, VGA, HDMI

- Zotac Zone Edition 9500GT: DVI, HDMI, VGA

so my solution was to use the DVI on one and the HDMI on the other. Which is kind of okay, because I use the DVI for gaming (so need the juice) and the HDMI for projection (no 3D demands).

Just in case anyone wants to try the same, let me advise - unless you really know your DSDT hacking, you should just go with the old-school "device-properties" in the boot.plist method. Find an un-compiled plist with the PCI device location, NVCAP, etc. The trick is you have to combine two of them (one set of xml properties for each card) into one .plist before converting to hex with gfxutil. Then take that big hex string and stick it in your com.apple.boot.plist and turn off graphicsenabler=yes and any other NV injection/enabler stuff...

The one consolation I have in all this is I actually have a working quad-monitor-capable setup now, with at least DVI-VGA-VGA-HDMI working between the two cards...

Found a new fix. Well not really a fix but more of a work around to those of you thinking of just buying a new GPU.

HD5770!

And I'm not even and ATI fan, but this card is performing way better than my 9800GTX+ that I have now given to my son to try and abuse with Adobe Master Collection.

I have continued to experiment with different kext and injecting device ids but still no luck for this 9800. Only solution still remains DVI-VGA.

Jay

I have a 9800GT. The primary monitor is connected to DVI and TV connected DVI-> HDMI cable.

I put 10de_0614.rom in /Extra

and NVEnabler 64.kext in /System/Library/Extensions (by KextHelper)

I deleted strings in com.apple.boot.plist and added

GraphicsEnabler - Yes

VideoROM - 10de_0614.rom

VBIOS-yes

TV works fine =) Thanks guys!!!!

PS and I haven`t string "ROM Version" in SysPref at all

In your sig it says 10.6.2. That would explain why it DOES work for you. But for some reason it no longer works on 10.6.4.

Anyone tried deleting the Nvidia kexts while using the Vbios rom file?

Jay

Just like you normally do when you have an ATI card! It is not installed but it still works. Every possible option must be taken. That's why I have deleted mine, and it did load, but with black screen as usual. Some of us here are still new to this. Especially going at getting something we know nothing about working!!! ;)

Anyways...

I went as far down as trying an 8600GTS bios file with a little progress I guess?! SL booted up fine, no black screen this time, but did only get the wallpaper and spinning wheel rainbow forever nonstop. No taskbar or dock or icons.

So 9800GTX< card doesn't give destop. Still black screen.

8800GT> gives background but spinning wheel and no taskbar or dock.

Back to the dang beginning...again!

Jay.

Thanks to all who posted here. This is my first post to the forum.

Seems my eVGA 9800 GT 1GB is working as it should with the 8800GT .rom in /Extras, as well as the related strings. Using latest nVidia drivers.

I have a Samsung SyncMaster 245BW connected via DVI, and an LG TV connected via DVI->HDMI cable. All seems to be working as it should.

Only problem I have encountered is on the primary display now. When the machine wakes up from sleep, there is a black border around every window where the QE shadowing should be. If I change the resolution of that display in System Preferences, and then change it back, it goes away.

Not using NVEnabler at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I was stuck to 10.6.2 because of this HDMI issue.

Now i'm using 10.6.4 on my HDMI monitor without any problem thanks to NVEnabler.

what i did is :

put the NVEnabler 64.kext file into extra/extensions folder

Update SleepEnabler.kext

Update Snow Leopard to 10.6.4 and that's it.

No Bios rom, no ID, no Nothing more.

my card is MSI GeForce GTS250 Twin Frozr 1G.

Thanks to all those who help us to get everything to work on our hackintosh. you guys rule !!!!

Seb from FRANCE

Yea I had tried NVEnabler before, by following the directions over at projectosx.com

and never got any ware, just a blank screen, and around the same time I thought

tried the one from idoc, I guess not, I got bored and just installed it, and BAM it works

on my GTS250, it did switch primary and secondary screens on me, but everything works

even mirroring that never worked before

Thanks idoc

From page 11: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=73823

@seco1976

@will1384

AND IT WORKS WITH MY TWIN FROZR TOO :):D :D :D :D :D :D :D

yes yes yes yes!! thank you man i cant believe it... after weeks of pain in the ass it works! :P

EDIT: Now i've noticed the sleep doesn't work for me anymore. ;)

I have the latest SleepEnabler for 10.6.4 and I hear that the system wakes up correctly but the screens stay off.

@seco1976, @will1384

Does sleep work for you??

Yea I had tried NVEnabler before, by following the directions over at projectosx.com

and never got any ware, just a blank screen, and around the same time I thought

tried the one from idoc, I guess not, I got bored and just installed it, and BAM it works

on my GTS250, it did switch primary and secondary screens on me, but everything works

even mirroring that never worked before

Thanks idoc

I just had to reinstall, I was unplugging and then replugging my monitors to move

one of them around and did not think to shut down first, when I looked back at the

screen it was unreadable and I had to press and hold power on my computer to shut

it down, I should have booted with the install DVD / thumb drive after that and ran

Disk Utility, but I did not, it booted but acted slow and froze up a few times so I

shutdown and restarted, it would no longer boot after that, I then ran Disk Utility

from my install thumb drive and it told me to wipe and reinstall and that it could not

fix the disk, so be careful and keep that install thumb drive or what ever you used

handy and use Time Machine

Any one have any ideas how I can get round this problem with my gtx285m?

The closest I have got is by using NVEnabler and old 50HAL and Resman kexts and booting with -x which game me correct res and allowed my DVI port to work but no QE/CI and some graphics problems (white space in Chrome was black).

Would really like to upgrade but stuck on 10.6.2.

Thanks x