[GUIDE] *NEW* Snow Leopard Retail on ASUS P6T Deluxe V1&V2

dgobe

1,773 posts in this topic

hi

i have a p6t deluxe with nvidia gtx 285

i installed PS CS5 and the performance is very weak

with the option in opengl preferences in advanced set to normal or more it is very laggy

same thing with Counter Strike Source i only get 30fps with medium settings...

when i open "about my mac" it shows my gtx 285 with 1GB memory so it supposed to be good but it is not, it is very slow when opengl is used

what can i do???

pls help

Hey people with this motherboard!

Obviously Lion isn't released yet, but surely there are some people from this thread who've been playing around with the developer's release and know how easy it's going to be to install?

Are we just able to install it over the top of our 10.6.7 install and then run the package files on the disk again? Or will there need to be another disk released with updates to the patches?

hi

i have a p6t deluxe with nvidia gtx 285

i installed PS CS5 and the performance is very weak

with the option in opengl preferences in advanced set to normal or more it is very laggy

same thing with Counter Strike Source i only get 30fps with medium settings...

when i open "about my mac" it shows my gtx 285 with 1GB memory so it supposed to be good but it is not, it is very slow when opengl is used

what can i do???

pls help

Try this SMBIOS:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>SMbiosdate</key>

<string>03/04/2009</string>

<key>SMbiosversion</key>

<string>MP41.88Z.0081.B04.0903051113</string>

<key>SMboardproduct</key>

<string>Mac-F227BEC8</string>

<key>SMfamily</key>

<string>Mac Pro</string>

<key>SMmanufacter</key>

<string>Apple Inc.</string>

<key>SMproductname</key>

<string>MacPro5,1</string>

<key>SMserial</key>

<string>G88451235J4</string>

<key>SMbusspeed</key>

<string>4800</string>

</dict>

</plist>

2- Install Chameleon Wizard and update your Chameleon version: http://cl.ly/0n0Z3a3t2G320a270r14

3 - Change your DSDT for this one: http://cl.ly/2G373a0C0c1A202v3A0T

RUn Cinebench, your fps rate must be around 30 / 35fps

Hi there - longtime listener, first time caller - Just built a new system (I've built many over the years), Here's the spec's:

P6T Deluxe V2

Intel Core i7 970 3.20Ghz

Asus Geforce GT210

2 x Corsair 6GB Kit PC-12800 (1600MHz) DDR3, Dominator DHX

Stupidly forgot to check if there was a DSDT Available for the 970, and now i see there's not.

Got everything up and running OK - System profiler sees the 970 as a 3.2ghz 'Unknown Processor'

System gets a geekbench of around 10000 vs my i7 920 system with the same setup getting 14000.

the bench goes down to 8000 when i overclock.

Am I right in assuming that the reason for this poor performance is due to not having the correct DSDT?

Someone in this thread mentioned that if i post up my extracted DSDT that perhaps someone might be able to help me patch one?

attached is the dsdt.dsl generated when running DSDT Patcher.

is this the right file? if not could someone point me to step by step directions to extracting the correct dsdt info from the system? Any help would be massively appreciated...

dsdt.dsl.zip

Hi there - longtime listener, first time caller - Just built a new system (I've built many over the years), Here's the spec's:

P6T Deluxe V2

Asus Geforce GT210

Stupidly forgot to check if there was a DSDT Available for the 970, and now i see there's not.

Got everything up and running OK - System profiler sees the 970 as a 3.2ghz 'Unknown Processor'

System gets a geekbench of around 10000 vs my i7 920 system with the same setup getting 14000.

the bench goes down to 8000 when i overclock.

Am I right in assuming that the reason for this poor performance is due to not having the correct DSDT?

Someone in this thread mentioned that if i post up my extracted DSDT that perhaps someone might be able to help me patch one?

attached is the dsdt.dsl generated when running DSDT Patcher.

is this the right file? if not could someone point me to step by step directions to extracting the correct dsdt info from the system? Any help would be massively appreciated...

Just update your bootloder to lastest chameleon (support for 6core) and use the DSDT v3.5 in the post#4.

Fabio

Just update your bootloder to lastest chameleon (support for 6core) and use the DSDT v3.5 in the post#4.

Fabio

Thanks so much Fabio, seriously - no words - you guys are so f***ing awesome - the first time I've ever really hit a wall in 4 years of playing with OSX86 and really needed some direction, 6am in the morning, defeated, make a post, go to sleep, wake up, solution. I'd love to make a donation to say thanks - where would you like it to go?

CPU recognizes perfectly now, (well as a 6-core Xeon) benches 13000 odd (big improvement) however when I overclock to 4ghz it drops back to 11000 - all my other machines using 920's & 930's see an improvement with an overclock...

Any ideas?

Try this SMBIOS:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>SMbiosdate</key>

<string>03/04/2009</string>

<key>SMbiosversion</key>

<string>MP41.88Z.0081.B04.0903051113</string>

<key>SMboardproduct</key>

<string>Mac-F227BEC8</string>

<key>SMfamily</key>

<string>Mac Pro</string>

<key>SMmanufacter</key>

<string>Apple Inc.</string>

<key>SMproductname</key>

<string>MacPro5,1</string>

<key>SMserial</key>

<string>G88451235J4</string>

<key>SMbusspeed</key>

<string>4800</string>

</dict>

</plist>

2- Install Chameleon Wizard and update your Chameleon version: http://cl.ly/0n0Z3a3t2G320a270r14

3 - Change your DSDT for this one: http://cl.ly/2G373a0C0c1A202v3A0T

RUn Cinebench, your fps rate must be around 30 / 35fps

Ok

i'be changed SMBIOS, updated to newest Chameleon but didn't copied the DSDT yet.

How can i boot my system with test DSDT so if somethings goes wrong i still can reboot it wit old DSDT?????

But anyway without that DSDT i got 15fps in Cinebench!!!

maybe after replacing DSDT it will be better so please let me know what to do to try it out

Ok

i'be changed SMBIOS, updated to newest Chameleon but didn't copied the DSDT yet.

How can i boot my system with test DSDT so if somethings goes wrong i still can reboot it wit old DSDT?????

But anyway without that DSDT i got 15fps in Cinebench!!!

maybe after replacing DSDT it will be better so please let me know what to do to try it out

ok i tried booting with your DSDT but same thing 15fps....

that sucks!!!

pls help

Why is it that the latest 3.5 release doesn't have processor specific DSDT's? I've managed to get my i7 970 running thanks to Fabio's directions (latest Chameleon & 3.5 DSDT) but the performance is sub par - benchmarks around the same as my other identical system with a different and slower chip (920) - could this poor performance be due to the lack of a processor specific DSDT? I have attached a dump of my ACPI tables in the hope of someone helping me out to compile a DSDT for my system as suggested elsewhere in the thread... Could it be that I really am the only one here running a 970?

Many thanks for all the help.

PS Fabio, i meant it when I said i'd like to make a donation to say thanks for your help earlier - where would you like it to go?

P6T Deluxe V2

Asus Geforce GT210

970_P6TDeluxeV2_1108.zip

Why is it that the latest 3.5 release doesn't have processor specific DSDT's? I've managed to get my i7 970 running thanks to Fabio's directions (latest Chameleon & 3.5 DSDT) but the performance is sub par - benchmarks around the same as my other identical system with a different and slower chip (920) - could this poor performance be due to the lack of a processor specific DSDT? I have attached a dump of my ACPI tables in the hope of someone helping me out to compile a DSDT for my system as suggested elsewhere in the thread... Could it be that I really am the only one here running a 970?

Because the setting (SS) are provided and read from the BIOS and not "injected" into the DSDT.

Your Mac Model is recognized as a MacPro5,1? or MacPro4,1?

In your case MacPro5,1 is the best choice (based on your 6core CPU).

Try play a little bit with your .plist setting (com.apple.Boot.plist & smbios.plist) to match your better result.

Also inovice user have a 980x processor maybe can help you to figure out yours 6core system, and be sure you run Snow Leopard 10.6.3 or up (the 6core CPU support start from that version).

For other i7 9xx (4core) MacPro3,1 or 4,1 still the better choice (lot of case MacPro3,1 for GPU bench report).

Fabio

Hi,

awesome tutorial there. Thanks. I tried to get Mac OSX 10.6 installed on my System for almost a week now and it didn't work out for me with the usual Chameleon or Empire EFI method(with Empire EFI once I reached the installer, but it was too slow to format my HD - maybe it's my DVD drive which is causing trouble).

I found this thread and downloaded the bootloader, changed all the BIOS features to yours and ended up with pretty much the same I saw with the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] .iso from tonymac.

I attached the last thing I see before it doesn't do anything no more.

I have no idea why it does not do what it's supposed to but anyway it worked with the latest Empire EFI on another Core 2 Duo System without any probs.

System:

Asus P6T Deluxe V2

12GB OCZ/Corsair RAM ( I already tried it with taking out 6Gigs of RAM...)

Core i7 920 @ stock

GTX580 @ stock

Maxtor 250GB HD

LG GH22LS CD/DVD drive

Since I know, that it should work on my System, I want to ask you Pros what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks

post-811021-1307651564_thumb.jpg

Change this (AppleGraphicsPowerManagement) in Extensions:

http://cl.ly/142g2231300a2f1V102e

Use this boot and smbios:

http://cl.ly/0M1t391s1e3n2b3m3u2M

must solve your problem

good luck!

Did all the things You wrote and now i got 24 fps so its better but still not enough....

But anyway changing AppleGrpahicsPowerManagment did the job...

Any other thoughts????

Anyway thanks You so much hugeschnauzer

Did all the things You wrote and now i got 24 fps so its better but still not enough....

But anyway changing AppleGrpahicsPowerManagment did the job...

Any other thoughts????

Anyway thanks You so much hugeschnauzer

My pleasure kaczka!

I guess your score is normal for a non overclocked i7 920 chip

i get 32fps on i7 930 overclocked to 3.8Ghz

I dont remember yet, but until overclock the fps was 27fps.. i guess

you did alll the steps:

com.apple.Boot.plist

smbios.plist

com.apple.Boot

AppleGrpahicsPowerManagement

Keep me posted if you have any news ok?

Best regards from Brazil

Hi,

awesome tutorial there. Thanks. I tried to get Mac OSX 10.6 installed on my System for almost a week now and it didn't work out for me with the usual Chameleon or Empire EFI method(with Empire EFI once I reached the installer, but it was too slow to format my HD - maybe it's my DVD drive which is causing trouble).

I found this thread and downloaded the bootloader, changed all the BIOS features to yours and ended up with pretty much the same I saw with the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] .iso from tonymac.

I attached the last thing I see before it doesn't do anything no more.

I have no idea why it does not do what it's supposed to but anyway it worked with the latest Empire EFI on another Core 2 Duo System without any probs.

Thanks

Hi zuogolpon,

I believe the problem is your GFx card is not supported. Check out the below link to see if there is a solution yet.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=245540

Because the setting (SS) are provided and read from the BIOS and not "injected" into the DSDT.

Your Mac Model is recognized as a MacPro5,1? or MacPro4,1?

In your case MacPro5,1 is the best choice (based on your 6core CPU).

Try play a little bit with your .plist setting (com.apple.Boot.plist & smbios.plist) to match your better result.

Also inovice user have a 980x processor maybe can help you to figure out yours 6core system, and be sure you run Snow Leopard 10.6.3 or up (the 6core CPU support start from that version).

For other i7 9xx (4core) MacPro3,1 or 4,1 still the better choice (lot of case MacPro3,1 for GPU bench report).

Fabio

What up iFabio/iReset/.: ErmaC :.! I just got a shiny new laptop and was reading some threads about Sandy Bridge and thought I'd stop by. I was skimming some of the newer posts and see that you're not using the Speedstep data in the DSDT....take a look at this post.

Old P6T thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1383053

I noticed it was loading the stepping data automatically and asked if you saw the correct values for your processor. You posted your PerformanceStateArray and it was loading the right values!(the image is no longer there but I remember that it worked) Unfortunately, at the time Apple didn't have any stepping data in the MacPro4,1 platform plist so it wasn't working properly. The clock was bouncing all over the place. They later updated the plist with the correct data but that was after we headed down the path of using the SS data in the DSDT. I think if we used MacPro3,1 it would have worked but I don't think either of us knew enough about the platform plist values at the time. :)

Oh well, that's part of the fun of hacking and learning new things. Thanks for all the updates and I hope you're doing well, take care!

What up iFabio/iReset/.: ErmaC :.! I just got a shiny new laptop and was reading some threads about Sandy Bridge and thought I'd stop by. I was skimming some of the newer posts and see that you're not using the Speedstep data in the DSDT....take a look at this post.

Old P6T thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1383053

I noticed it was loading the stepping data automatically and asked if you saw the correct values for your processor. You posted your PerformanceStateArray and it was loading the right values!(the image is no longer there but I remember that it worked) Unfortunately, at the time Apple didn't have any stepping data in the MacPro4,1 platform plist so it wasn't working properly. The clock was bouncing all over the place. They later updated the plist with the correct data but that was after we headed down the path of using the SS data in the DSDT. I think if we used MacPro3,1 it would have worked but I don't think either of us knew enough about the platform plist values at the time. ;)

Oh well, that's part of the fun of hacking and learning new things. Thanks for all the updates and I hope you're doing well, take care!

Hello dgobe

I hope you are well ... how long!

I decided to remove the SS from the DSDT for the fact that now regardless of the model (SMBIOS) used (and after 10.6.3), the Steep Speed ​​are "read"from the BIOS (thanks to the evolution of chameleon).

Now sleep works properly, and I've "adjusted" the IRQ, inside the HPET

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=206313

Fabio

Hello dgobe

I hope you are well ... how long!

I decided to remove the SS from the DSDT for the fact that now regardless of the model (SMBIOS) used (and after 10.6.3), the Steep Speed ​​are "read"from the BIOS (thanks to the evolution of chameleon).

Now sleep works properly, and I've "adjusted" the IRQ, inside the HPET

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=206313

Fabio

Doing great buddy!

Ahhh, I see it's a Chameleon thing...I thought I remembered it kind of working way back when, guess not. I haven't checked out the svn repo in forever it seemed like there was a lot of activity and then everyone disappeared. Good job on the Chameleon installer, don't know how you consistently keep up it's a lot of work. I gave my P6T system w/Windows 7 to my sister so I'm not really able to keep up here anymore.

Later buddy :)

@FredEx

If you have a 6-core processor use MacPro5,1

You should install using 10.6.4 (to avoid KP when booting he first time)

Fabio is 100% correct about the below quote:)

@kaczka

When you get the chance to do a fresh install, please try the following;

Why GTX 285 is slow?

10.6.7 will severely decrease NVIDIA GPU performance by causing it's three clocks to always run at level 0 low power mode.

Edit the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents/Info.plist's MacPro4,1/5,1 section and change Vendor10deDevice05e2 to Vendor10deDevice05e3.

The 05e3 part is for a GTX 285, this will allow the GPU to have power management; level 2 high power when stressed, and down clocking to level 0 when not stressed (~10C lower).

The GPU clock will be at level 0 after sleep and wake, but the shader and memory clocks will temporarily be stuck at level 2.

However, if load is applied and then reduced, shader and memory will return to level 0.

The following solutions cause the three clocks to always run at level 2;

Use MacPro3,1 in smbios.plist.

or

Delete AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext.

or

Use the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext from 10.6.3.

Temperatures and clock speeds can be seen with nvclock, and for lower temperatures it's recommended to set fanspeed mode to auto with `nvclock -F auto -f', which needs to be set again after sleep and wake;

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1246

Thanks to jhrfc for automating this so it will start in auto at boot, and switch back to auto after sleep (post 119);

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...8757&st=118

(Extrait from dOOd post at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...hp/t196771.html)

Thanks,

iNovice

Hey guys,

Having a crack at this tutorial, and cant seem to get any video output whatsoever.

Ive tried the following kernel flags so far:

none

-x

graphicsenabler=yes pciroot=1

(The above all output a black screen)

graphicsenabler=n

graphicsenabler=n arch=i386

(These send my monitor into sleep mode)

Is it something to do with having two graphics cards? I have a GTX 260 in primary and a 470 in secondary (Long story, BIOS wont let me put them the other way round).

Hey all, has anyone figured out how to get OS X to recognize i7 920 as 4 cores and 8 threads? I attached a screenshot image i took of my hackintosh and maybe its already like that but my machine was starting to freeze up on me today...and have never had that happen in the yr I've had my hackintosh up and running. I've thought about overclocking back up to 3.2Ghz and memory at 14xx mhz if anyone could point me in the right direction or knows if it works.

Any thoughts are appreciated...also can't wait till someone tries to upgrade their setup next month to lion and shows how it goes, I wanna upgrade to lion so bad!!

post-461110-1308011851_thumb.png

@Bostwana

Please use only 1 x GTX 260 on the blue pci slot. Also, add your rig details. You can dig post#4 for more details using dual graphics card.

@carleycr

The screenshot looks 100% correct to me, it is showing your processor spec with 4 cores albeit Xeon thing - which version of chameleon are you using? Even if you OC, the lastest chameleon will show you the correct speed along with mem clock. I am not sure about the freeze issue....Can you also add your rig spec please?

@Bostwana

Please use only 1 x GTX 260 on the blue pci slot. Also, add your rig details. You can dig post#4 for more details using dual graphics card.

@carleycr

The screenshot looks 100% correct to me, it is showing your processor spec with 4 cores albeit Xeon thing - which version of chameleon are you using? Even if you OC, the lastest chameleon will show you the correct speed along with mem clock. I am not sure about the freeze issue....Can you also add your rig spec please?

Yeah, that did it. I've got it installed now, however, Finder windows refuse to open.

Im sure they are opening they just arn't visible. It's very wierd.

I had to run the pkg from the 132 disk by searching for it in Spotlight.

Also my processor is now listed as a 'unknown'. Is that usual?

ALso, I can't seem to run any form of updates. IM on a 10.6 retail disk, however all updaters from 10.6 refuse to work, claiming my system is incompatable and Software Update also lists no updates.

Im guessing there are solutions to all of these things so far on this forum so please ignore me if i'm asking stupid and over asked questions, but having no finder window makes navigation a pain :)

Edit: Turns out my DVD drive wasn't correctly reading Dual-layer disks, anyway, I replaced the drive and now have 10.6.7 installed correctly.

Processor is being detected as an i7 now, however, my RAM is being detected as '800MHz DDR2' Instead of '1866MHz DDR3'

@bottswana

Please download the lastest chameleon, it will detect you cpu speed and mem correctly.