Snow Leopard Install for Asus P6X58D Premium

r0tt3n

352 posts in this topic

In my experience of the Asus i7 range of board and OSX, that is booting without the DSDT or with the harddrives in IDE Mode.

Set the bios as per the guide pictures I linked ^^^ and then boot with the Boot132 CD also linked.

What method? What boot-cd?(if the case) Did you make your settings in bios AHCI etc? Try this cd-boot! (not the same one i've posted before)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CI5A6IV0

I changed the BIOS settings with this guide:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=208724

boot-cd http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CI5A6IV0

insert cd Snow Leopard ....... F5

-v -x cpus=4 arch=i386 busratio=21

installation stops :(

Still waiting for root device

What sata port is your DVD drive or HDD on? Try it with the DVD only, and plug it into Port 0 (1). If that gets to the installer, then reboot and plug the HDD into Port 1 (2) and try to install. I had this problem for a long time and basically without a functional DSDT (which you can add after the install is completed) only the first port operates correctly and the rest are dependant on it being in use before they work (odd but it's true).

What sata port is your DVD drive or HDD on? Try it with the DVD only, and plug it into Port 0 (1). If that gets to the installer, then reboot and plug the HDD into Port 1 (2) and try to install. I had this problem for a long time and basically without a functional DSDT (which you can add after the install is completed) only the first port operates correctly and the rest are dependant on it being in use before they work (odd but it's true).

SATA Port1 [Hard Disk]

SATA Port2 [Not Detected]

SATA Port3 [ATAPI CD-ROM]

My pleasure. :D Once you know the DVD will boot on that port, you can try a HDD on the second port and it should (although possibly slowly) install just fine. Once it's installed and the DSDT from my files pack is in the correct place (this will require a reboot and one more boot from the Boot132 CD to get into the OS) you can use the HDD on any port. :thumbsup_anim:

I was having really slow drive access on SATA ports 2-6. I had to apply this fix and recompile DSDT.

DSDT fix for slow drives

See post #179

I generated my own DSDT for P6X58D-E using DSDT Patcher. I'm not sure if this is in the Premium DSDT found in the files in this thread. Does anybody have a list of fixes they made to the Premium DSDT?

Every fix you could need is in the Premium DSDT. It's tried and tested several pages back. :)

I do not have a premium board, i have the P6X58D-E. I was instructed by User_01, if I remember correctly, to generate my own DSDT because of performance issues using my overclock settings.

The Premium DSDT does work fine with overclocking, I know because I do. I fear the problem is located elsewhere for you. What kexts are you using?

The usual kexts found in the attachments from this thread:

AppleYukon2

FakeSMC

HDAEnabler

IOAHCI

LegacyHDA

I also had to install NullCPUPowerManagement. Without that my 3.8Ghz overclock was actually slower per GeekBench than the default settings for the i7 930. See post #193.

Hmm... Is NULL CPU the only one you needed to add/change to fix it? I have a sneaky feeling that the difference could be the 920 vs 930 here...

Yes, only NullCPU. I think the 930 is why User_01 suggested I build my own DSDT. The other option is enable speedstep in the BIOS, which as you know is not a good idea for OCing.

I guess you could rip your own dsdt and then just swap over the CPU section into the one in the support files?

Will try that. I'm new to the DSDT stuff but I should be able to figure it out. Thanks for the help.

Hey All

First I just wanted to say thanks a lot for all the information provided on this topic. I would be totally lost without it.

Just built my first Hackintosh on Friday and just got SL 10.6.3 installed with my flash drive at lunch today.

Then I OC'd, had a few issues with booting back up, but ultimately resolved them.

The problem I am having now is that my triple channel G Skill 6GB DDR3 1600 mhz, is recognized as "6 GB DDR2 800mhz."

I've adjusted the BIOS for 1535 mhz and changed the BLCK to 191, as well as adjust the DRAM BUS Voltage to 164.

Still says the same. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong.

-------------

Core i7 930 4.0 GHZ

ASUS P6X58D-E

V8 Coolermaster

G. Skill 6GB DDR3 1600mhz

640 GB 7200 RPM WD

XILO Windtunnel AHX Full Tower