Snow Leopard Install for Asus P6X58D Premium

r0tt3n

352 posts in this topic

Hey All

First I just wanted to say thanks a lot for all the information provided on this topic. I would be totally lost without it.

Just built my first Hackintosh on Friday and just got SL 10.6.3 installed with my flash drive at lunch today.

Then I OC'd, had a few issues with booting back up, but ultimately resolved them.

The problem I am having now is that my triple channel G Skill 6GB DDR3 1600 mhz, is recognized as "6 GB DDR2 800mhz."

I've adjusted the BIOS for 1535 mhz and changed the BLCK to 191, as well as adjust the DRAM BUS Voltage to 164.

Still says the same. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong.

-------------

Core i7 930 4.0 GHZ

ASUS P6X58D-E

V8 Coolermaster

G. Skill 6GB DDR3 1600mhz

640 GB 7200 RPM WD

XILO Windtunnel AHX Full Tower

Congrats!

I have the same CPU and mainboard. Would you mind doing GeekBench score on your OC settings and then do one using defaults in the BIOS? Mine was actually slower OCed until I installed the NullCPUPowerManagement kext.

Geekbench:

Default = 8726

OC = 11661

Do you have SpeedStep enabled in the BIOS for your overclock?

Post #73 had issues as well with low GeekBench scores. That's how I discovered NullCPUPowerManagement was the key to getting better scores on my setup. Anyway, the machine is performing well and I'm at about the same score as you. Still, it bothers me not knowing why I have to load the NullCPU kext when others don't.

Update

=====

I figured out why my GeekBench OC scores were low. I am using the newest 10.3.1 vanilla mach_kernel since I used [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]-Supported booter instead of boot-132. boot-132 was not working for me. Anyway, there are performance implications if things are not patched in the DSDT or NullCPU is not installed. See Darwin 10.3.1 kernel

I do have SpeedStep Enabled

The only thing I changed was my AI Clocking to manual, BLCK = 191, DRAM Bus = 1527

Other than that everything else is auto.

Resolved the RAM Issues (Was using another Chameleon boot by accident)

But now my Geekbench is 11387 (dropped 300)

Im going to try NullCPUPowerManagment, and see if my score improves.

EDIT:

With NullCPUPower = 11680 (Recovered my ground and gained a few points :) )

The only thing I changed was my AI Clocking to manual, BLCK = 191, DRAM Bus = 1527

EDIT:

Usually when OCing to 4.0Ghz, you don't want to leave anything to chance by using Auto or having SpeedStep on. Have you stress tested it? I usually run LinX at full memory for at least 25 passes in Win7 x64. I wouldn't worry too much the difference between 11387 and 11680. GeekBench scores fluctuate.

EDIT:

People that are using Null kext (noespam, you etc), when that kext is loaded you're are actually not running apple native (stock) power management extensions. AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext is blocked, AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient.kext, AppleHPET.kext are not loading too. Just a remark. You can simply check this in system profiler>Extensions.

Chameleon

It was the only one that I could get working.

The Boot 132 would just go to a black screen saying (cannot remember exactly) that the USB was causing errors. But Chameleon on the jump drive worked just fine, or so I thought. ;)

Try using the AsereBLN bootloader in my files pack, that will detect everything correctly and has a nice little installer. It the best bootloader for the files in my pack. :)

is locked

not go ahead

fotografie0045s.th.jpg

It may sound silly but have you tried moving the mouse? I found that the progress bar freezes a lot in Mac but moving the mouse makes it jump back to where it should be.

Or is it just going reeeeeeaaally slow? If so, that's the problem with the SATA ports not being recognised until the DSDT is used. If that is the case, I recommend ripping the install DVD to USB and then installing my support files on the USB and booting that, as it'll load the DSDT that way.

I promise I'll get a working Boot132 CD out soon, I just need to let my i7 finish some work it's doing...

Do you have SpeedStep enabled in the BIOS for your overclock?

Post #73 had issues as well with low GeekBench scores. That's how I discovered NullCPUPowerManagement was the key to getting better scores on my setup. Anyway, the machine is performing well and I'm at about the same score as you. Still, it bothers me not knowing why I have to load the NullCPU kext when others don't.

Update

=====

I figured out why my GeekBench OC scores were low. I am using the newest 10.3.1 vanilla mach_kernel since I used [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]-Supported booter instead of boot-132. boot-132 was not working for me. Anyway, there are performance implications if things are not patched in the DSDT or NullCPU is not installed. See Darwin 10.3.1 kernel

Ah, well at least that solved that one. :) What fix did you use in the end? The MacPro4.1 should already be set in my files.

If that is the case, I recommend ripping the install DVD to USB and then installing my support files on the USB and booting that, as it'll load the DSDT that way.

I did not understand this step.

I did not understand this step.

But you need a mac for this, so i don't know what help will do...

1. Insert the snow dvd

2. Mount an 8 gb usb stick (you could use an external hdd etc), format it to GPT in Disk Utility

3. Disk Utility, Restore tab, drag the snow dvd to source, mounted usb to destination

4. Restore

5. Install bootloader (AsereBLN) to usb

6. Put Extra (from kup's pack) to Extra

7. Boot the usb

8. Install

After a few days of frustration trying to figure out why my overclock scores were low on the P6X58D-E, I found the cause to be the newest vanilla Darwin 10.3.1 kernel. At first the new kernel was about 50% slower than the 10.3 kernel, which is installed by the guides in this thread. After some googling and proper configuration, the vanilla Darwin 10.3.1 kernel consistently gives between a 7-9% performance increase according to GeekBench 64-bit in my tests. My average GeekBench scores

10.3.1 kernel @ 4.0Ghz = 13,050

10.3 kernel @ 4.0Ghz = 12,180

screenshot20100531at105.th.png

I had two simple options to regain the performance lost:

1) install NullCPUPowerManagement

2) or, enable SpeedStep in the BIOS

The best option is step #2. I always thought that enabling speedstep was a no-no for overclocking. Well, yes and no. It's important that speedstep is disabled to determine the correct settings for overclocking. However, after successful stress testing, re-enabling speedtest does not seem to be detrimental. I reran my stress tests last night and everything seems to be in order.

I basically followed the how-to update kernel instructions in tonymacx86's [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Supported post

Finally, I can code again in Rails on this blistering fast machine :)

The installation went well! I miss the kext

I can not boot :P

Boot with the Boot132 CD that you used to boot the installer DVD.

You'll need to download my final pack for files. Next install the bootloader in my files and copy over the Extra folder to the root of your Snow Leopard HDD.

Please read this thread and you'll get a far better understanding of how to do this. There is even a guide at post 135 which will guide you from first boot to fully installed, you JUST need to READ and learn yourself too. It's how we all had to learn, research, time, effort. I wrote that entire guide from memory in the end, not whilst following an install; because I've researched enough to know how to install and problem solve.

Most of everything works except for audio and 64bit...

Attaching the extra folder

Of course it doesn't! First, AppleHDA.kext doesn't have its place in E/E (Extra/Extensions). Second, if it isn't the binary patched version from (10.6.3) or a stock (vanilla) version from 10.6.2 or below, will not work anyway. Third, 2 legacy for audio in E/E, that's not going to help either; remove the Legacy889 one and keep the other (if is the one from kup's pack), and the HDAEnabler too. Fourth, if you actually did some reading in this thread, you could have seen that someone else already asked this (regarding your problem).

---pages in this thread that must be seen --7,8,9 --- before you're asking something; otherwise we'll be responding to the same questions over and over again; i think is pointless for a helping thread, this way...

p.s.- i think you actually don't need the NVEnabler kext too (this depends on your video card); the com.apple.Boot.plist in Extra already has the graphics enabler feature set to yes; and if you're using the booter from kup's pack then you're set

-you need only 5 kexts in Extra, 1 in S/L/E (system>library>extensions) for a working 10.6.3

Oh wow yeah. lol I totally missed those extra kexts. :/

I really do wish people would read before asking questions that have been answered numerous times. :) Cheers for having the patience that I'm starting to lack, User_01. :P

Oh wow yeah. lol I totally missed those extra kexts. :/

I really do wish people would read before asking questions that have been answered numerous times. :) Cheers for having the patience that I'm starting to lack, User_01. :)

Takes less time to post something, then doing some research first and then, after you're pretty sure you can find the answer, is better to ask. :)

My M-Audio Profire is working, anyways will try to fix the onboard audio as well...

By the way I wanted to try the power of this CPU beast so I installed Logic Pro 9 opened 150 instances of ESX24 and Space Designer, 32 samples, minimum latency. I hit the play button and it worked!!! In the meantime I was downloading 1Mb/s full bandwidth and installing other softwares... :(

post-615660-1275454717_thumb.jpg

Ok audio fully functioning. While my firewire card is plugged I keep getting very annoying sounds like crackles sometimes high pitched it's not very loud but I can hear it. Anybody had the same issue?

I installed iMac1,1 from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], used the command -force64 and it allowed me to run GeekBench64

Geebench score: 17549 vs 15000 in 32bit

although under about this mac say

64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No

How do I fix this?

post-615660-1275466468_thumb.jpg