Snow Leopard Install for Asus P6X58D Premium

r0tt3n

352 posts in this topic

AGAIN!!! for all users READ!!! carefully and then post!!!

3 SUPPORT FILES POST #145 (skip the folder 3 for S/L/E)

Correct!!!

"Once i installed snow leopard (10.6) i backed up..." - i updated to 10.6.2 by downloading the combo update from apple site and backed up the AppleHDA.kext... - is written clearly in the guide - don't be in a hurry and skip steps

or the alternative (i suggest this)

post #145

But finally is up to you!

There is also a third option and leave the AppleHDA.kext (vanilla) - no modification here, but will not be used, and go with the VoodooHDA.kext (0.2.1), and also remove the HDAEnabler and Legacy kexts from E/E. If you need the kext, again, tell and i'll post it.

Hi guys... one question...

Can Anyone here can post the IOReg and his LSPCI report?

(I need this for compare difference between yours and my motherboard...)

Maybe later I can help you with this post configuration.

I make it works the similar model P6X58D-E (ALL VANILLA 10.6.3) but I need to se the real hardware diff :)

Fabio

After installing the kext, check this in System Preferences > Sound

Output should be Built-in Speakers

Play sound effects through Output

Is not possible not to work, 'cause i already helped another member in this thread (same issue) (you can find the posts and read them) and he confirmed that the solution works. So...

@kup I write in Italian.

la mia configurazione (1) che vedi in firma funziona bene, quindi volevo ringraziarti per il tuo contributo, grazie 1000 :rolleyes: ............ un grazie anche a User_01.

ciao alla prossima.

iFabio, there were the required dumps posted on the first couple of pages. I uploaded them for BChemist. :wacko:

Yep I find the LSPCI info but the IOREG full dump is missed..

Fabio

Ah, my bad. I'll get it for you tomorrow after work. ;)

Also, updated to 10.6.4 fine, replaced AppleHDA and added NullCPU and the system is the fastest it's been!

THX

I need only your IOREG (graphics versin... no text version) you can use DSDTSE... but you know...

Fabio

Hello there.

I've been trying a dual boot with Win7/SL on my P6X58D-E system this weekend with lots of less luck then others it would seem.

Looking over at my desktop here, using the full -v -x cpus=1 arch=i386 busratio=20 (I got a 720) gets me the farthest before it dies. Mostly my attempts were to use a bootdisc, switch to SL, have the PC reset itself in a couple of seconds. I switched my bios to the settings I have seen in the thread.

What I got is;

AppleYukon: 000000000,000000000 PwrSavingsEED - Failed to get ACPI device

Please contact the Voodoo Kernal devs blahblahblah

Debugger called <panic>

I guess I'm still fighting a system config somewhere and not the software yet?

I am trying to do the install with EmpireEFI, and I get through everything up to the first Mac OS X install screen. Once I get there though, my screen turns off. I have a Nvidia 260 GTX, so I don't think it is my video card. Anyone have any ideas?

Why not use the BootCD specified in the guide?

Was that to Wu Li or myself? I'm assuming Wu because I was using the disc in the guide. Was farting around with it again last night for a bit before giving up, no clue at all what's going on with it :unsure:

I'm having issues too with this so call "easy install" method.

Why aren't there any more MBR ver? Works well with Tiger & Leopard for me in the past with Asus 865P chipset board.

Was trying it with [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] from Tonymac with hotISO 10.6.3, can't even get it past to boot. Really frustrating. The strange thing is that when i put [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] into my laptop, the Chameleon works fine, but when i put it into the P6X58D Prem sys, it just said mounted & hang there.

Anyone any clues here?

Thanks in advance :D

After fiddling with the tips from the guys over at [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] thread, manage to get [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] to load & bootup. The issue here is to keep to 1 HDD & 1 ODD.

But that's about it, SL will not boot & install. Tried 10.6 retail ver & HOTiso 10.6.3 ver, both are a no-go. It only show me the apple logo & then a 'STOP' sign.

What else can u guys recommend? Any I/P greatly appreciated :) Will try to seek out BootCD as suggested by kup

Thank you guys for this thread! I got Snow Leopard installed today on a computer I built with this motherboard (P6X58D Premium).

Everything works except the headphone jack on the front of my case. The other front-panel ports work--USB and FireWire--and the audio in the back works. Also, System Prefs lists a Headphone option for sound output devices; but no sound is coming from this port. Has anyone else had this problem, or does anyone have a guess what the issue might be?

Fairly minor annoyance, but headphones are important for a gaming machine. =)

I bbelieve its due to the HDA kext. It only supports HD audio, the front panel jack is Legacy. Not sure if there's a kext like VoodooHDA that can toggle between speaker out & front panel jack.

Alternatively u can buy a new pair of speakers that has a phone jack plug, maybe Bose Companion 5? Or just plug the headphone into the speaker out at the back :P

I bbelieve its due to the HDA kext. It only supports HD audio, the front panel jack is Legacy. Not sure if there's a kext like VoodooHDA that can toggle between speaker out & front panel jack.

Alternatively u can buy a new pair of speakers that has a phone jack plug, maybe Bose Companion 5? Or just plug the headphone into the speaker out at the back :(

Thanks for the quick response! I tried reinstalling LegacyHDA.kext based on this, thinking I'd ended up with the wrong version installed, but no dice. I guess from what you're saying it's not HD at all, so I would need a non-HD audio driver.

Fortunately my new headphones came today, and they have a cord long enough to reach the back of the computer. I suppose if it's higher quality audio coming out there anyway I'll just stick with it.

Did anyone ever confirm installing this using a running MAC yet? I am asking because I have just ordered all these parts and I already have a MacBook Pro so I have the option of using either install method. User_01 did give a nice quick run through for people with already owned MAC's that seems pretty straight forward and easy, but is it truly easier then all the work Kup has put into his most recent updated install method from a few days ago?

I have already created two complete documents with both install methods, and all the "pertinent" questions and answers people came across lol (thank you all you people who asked the same questions 500 times!! LOL).

I suppose I could just try them both but with this being my first attempt at one of these, which will be certainly easier for someone who already has extensive experience with both Windows and OS X and has a complete running MAC already? Opinions! Flames! Lol I can handle them all :P!

Thanks!

Also, how's Logic 9 running these days on these boxes with 10.6.4 and 9.1.1? I seen one user claiming some AMAZING statistics. Anyone else having similar good experiences?

Thanks

You could use your P6X58S HDD in a caddy and install via the MacBook but with my Boot132 CD in the other thread ( I linked it a bit higher up in this thread ) you can just boot the retail install disc and perform a clean install on the actual hardware.

TBH, either method will be relatively pain free (fingers crossed). :angel:

Also, how's Logic 9 running these days on these boxes with 10.6.4 and 9.1.1? I seen one user claiming some AMAZING statistics. Anyone else having similar good experiences?

Thanks

Logic 9 works perfectly, my setup is P6X58D Premium + i7 980x @4.3GHz

I was able to open 150 instances of EXS24 and other AUs each channel running space designer and a couple more FX, insane... I think I could have done better if I can get OSX to recognize my CPU since Logic used only 8 threads instead of 12... :D

The only problem for me is some sort of Firewire noise, I tried different M-Audio soundcards, the Firewire Solo and the Profire 610 all have noise problems I hear crackles coming from the CPU(?) or HDD, not sure what excatly is causing the problem, I ordered a 6 pin Firewire port isolator, hopefully that will fix the problem.