Snow Leopard Install for Asus P6X58D Premium

r0tt3n

352 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Hey, I am trying a build with that motherboard. I will let you know how it goes. I estimate to have all the parts by christmas :) Stay tuned!

Hey Pakun (or anyone with an answer!)! I've been looking at your post constantly for the results of this new system. A few friends, and myself, are in the process of making a "monster" hackintosh and will love to incorporate this kick@ss mobo into the system (future I9, usb3,sata6gb, unsane!!!). So, if you have any update on this pls let us know.

BTW, if anyone else reading this post have somewhat an assurance that this mobo will work for a hackintosh please make the world know cause it can be an awesome system!

Hi, i have the P6X58D and so far i have no luck getting any OSX86 on it working. I have tried with iAtkos v7, iDeneb v1.6 lite, and iPC 10.5.6.

iAktos v7 - was able to boot and do a successful install. But will not boot. It just get stuck with

Mac framework successfully initialized

Using 16384 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers

Dont know how to get past it.

If you can get past this and boot into OSX, let me know.

iDeneb v1.6 lite - Also stuck on

Mac framework successfully initialized

Using 16384 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers

But this happens on DVD boot, so it did not get into the main install.

iPC 10.5.6 - NOT A CHANCE!!!!! PANIC ERROR EVERY TIME UPON DVD BOOT!!!!

I'll try a vanilla snow leopard install and see how that goes.

The setup for this was

i7 920 - 4GHz

ASUS P6X58D - stock BIOS

9800 GTX+

6GB DDR3 1600MHz

Unfortunately I have tried many distros including iDeneb, iPC, iAtkos, and etc. iDeneb actually lets me get to the installer, but after a complete install there is no boot. It gets to reading the video card and BAM! My PC is resets, sometimes with a CMOS reset (which is frustrating). I have adjusted the BIOS settings in many configurations and the same thing happens. I am not sure if it is my video card or not (ATI Radeon HD 5770), but it is very frustrating that I can't get it to work. I tried a SL 10.6.0 and 10.6.2 install from another computer and the same thing happens. I've used Chamelon, vanilla and the lot.

So far, I haven't made a solid assessment of what is going wrong. I tried for hours, no luck. I thought it was my video card at first until I ran iDeneb and it loaded the installer and that displayed just fine.

Soooooooo frustrated!

I also updated to the newest BIOS (which doesn't add too many more features anyway).

My system:

Core i7 920 @ 4GHz

12GB DDR 3 Corsair

Radeon HD 5770

Asus P6X58D Premium Board

i was able to sucessful to boot into iAktos v7 by using the bootloader from the DVD but only into safe mode.

-v -x cpus=1 busratio=20 rd=disk0s3 "<- leopard partition"

only very little things worked.

USB

CPU

SATA

9800 GTX+

and thats about it.

Installed Snow leopard from iAKtos but ran into an error while booting.

Asked for help in IRC and said it could be that i have too many partition. (4)

I'm going to do a fresh install of snow when my retail box is here and see how things goes.

@Pakun, try doing it with 6GB of memory

Hello!

I was so excited when I saw this thread, for I have just built a computer over Christmas break with this system board.

My current specs are:

ASUS P6X58D Premium (Obviously)

Intel Core i7 2.66ghz Bloomfield

4gb DDR3 1066 OCZ Gold RAM

Nvidia 9800 gt (Which IS OS X compatible)

WD Caviar 1TB & 500gb Hard Drive

Which are the main components of this build.

SO anyways... The morning after I had finished the build (Had/Still am running Win7 Ultimate 64bit) I researched on the 10.6 install. I do own a Snow Leopard upgrade disc, much to my help.

After searching around, I found Empire EFI (A play off of Rebel EFI, Psystars repackaged commercial bootloader which Apple crushed to the community's amusement) and used the i7 patched bootloader available on the Empire EFI site to attempt my install.

WELL let me tell you, it took many hours, and was frustrating as hell, but I managed to get 10.6 to install.

My first problem was, that the Empire startup disc wouldn't load the install screen, which took me forever and a day. It turns out that the optical drive I had was (incidentally a low quality) underpowered for starting up the device, especially on an installation of an unrecognized Operating System.

I finally (out of pure luck I might add) was able to perfectly time a cycle in which the drive was powered enough to initialize (It took a combination of a Ubuntu Live CD and my left {censored}) at which point I arrived at the 10.6 install screen. Obviously the first step was to format my hard drive to be able to install OS X onto it. However once I opened disk utility I had no permissions to format or partition the drive, nor any other options except for on the drive I had externally plugged in to backup my system before the install had started.

After much fiddling around, I realized the culprit. OS X doesn't support Marvel SATA ports! Which what all of my drives (except for the external USB one obviously) were connected to. From then on I used the two onboard ASUS SATA ports, one for the primary install drive and the other for the optical drive. And the installation from there worked flawlessly!

Of course I had to boot into Empire EFI again to boot the OS X partition, and the boot completed successfully.

A few side notes however:

Being new to hackintoshing, I do not know the method in which to install the drivers (such as for my video card) or to install a bootloader into the system. I searched around and found Chameleon, however I do not know how to install this nor use it.

Secondly, onboard sound did NOT work, neither did the ethernet ports, which could be expected. Of course anyone with a WLAN card has the potential of making this work.

Finally, the Marvel SATA ports do work, but not to boot off of, and I have yet to confirm the 6gb/s ports. So anyone would be pretty much stuck with the onboard SATA for their boot drive....

Oh and of course no support for USB 3.0.

Pics can be provided for proof, but I CAN confirm that this is hackintosh compatible.

However if someone could assist me further, such as how to install a bootloader such as Chameleon, and my video card drivers, that would be greatly appreciated. You could either respond here, PM me, or preferred email at tvick47@gmail.com.

Thanks!

This is great news!

Which SATA ports are the ASUS ones? I know the 6Gb/s are the Marvells, but aren't all the others ASUS? If you could explain which ones exactly that would be nice. I know how to do Chameleon and kexts installs for custom SL drives. My main problem is that I cannot boot into an installer :) (well iDeneb let me). If its the sata ports... Please elaborate

Hello!

I was so excited when I saw this thread, for I have just built a computer over Christmas break with this system board.

My current specs are:

ASUS P6X58D Premium (Obviously)

Intel Core i7 2.66ghz Bloomfield

4gb DDR3 1066 OCZ Gold RAM

Nvidia 9800 gt (Which IS OS X compatible)

WD Caviar 1TB & 500gb Hard Drive

Which are the main components of this build.

SO anyways... The morning after I had finished the build (Had/Still am running Win7 Ultimate 64bit) I researched on the 10.6 install. I do own a Snow Leopard upgrade disc, much to my help.

After searching around, I found Empire EFI (A play off of Rebel EFI, Psystars repackaged commercial bootloader which Apple crushed to the community's amusement) and used the i7 patched bootloader available on the Empire EFI site to attempt my install.

WELL let me tell you, it took many hours, and was frustrating as hell, but I managed to get 10.6 to install.

My first problem was, that the Empire startup disc wouldn't load the install screen, which took me forever and a day. It turns out that the optical drive I had was (incidentally a low quality) underpowered for starting up the device, especially on an installation of an unrecognized Operating System.

I finally (out of pure luck I might add) was able to perfectly time a cycle in which the drive was powered enough to initialize (It took a combination of a Ubuntu Live CD and my left {censored}) at which point I arrived at the 10.6 install screen. Obviously the first step was to format my hard drive to be able to install OS X onto it. However once I opened disk utility I had no permissions to format or partition the drive, nor any other options except for on the drive I had externally plugged in to backup my system before the install had started.

After much fiddling around, I realized the culprit. OS X doesn't support Marvel SATA ports! Which what all of my drives (except for the external USB one obviously) were connected to. From then on I used the two onboard ASUS SATA ports, one for the primary install drive and the other for the optical drive. And the installation from there worked flawlessly!

Of course I had to boot into Empire EFI again to boot the OS X partition, and the boot completed successfully.

A few side notes however:

Being new to hackintoshing, I do not know the method in which to install the drivers (such as for my video card) or to install a bootloader into the system. I searched around and found Chameleon, however I do not know how to install this nor use it.

Secondly, onboard sound did NOT work, neither did the ethernet ports, which could be expected. Of course anyone with a WLAN card has the potential of making this work.

Finally, the Marvel SATA ports do work, but not to boot off of, and I have yet to confirm the 6gb/s ports. So anyone would be pretty much stuck with the onboard SATA for their boot drive....

Oh and of course no support for USB 3.0.

Pics can be provided for proof, but I CAN confirm that this is hackintosh compatible.

However if someone could assist me further, such as how to install a bootloader such as Chameleon, and my video card drivers, that would be greatly appreciated. You could either respond here, PM me, or preferred email at tvick47@gmail.com.

Thanks!

EDIT: Oops, I didn't mean to double post, I didn't think I had posted because I restarted my computer and didn't know if it had posted.

I was also able to do a vanilla install os snow leopard 10.6.0

Took my all day and with the help from people in the IRC chat.

Its not perfect but its running smoothly.

I need 2 version of Empire EFI too boot.

Empire EFI v1.085

http://www.mediafire.com/?g2kznm0dxgz

Empire EFI For Intel i7 and Intel x58 Chipset by aschar

http://www.mediafire.com/?dum2ndzluog

Other files that was use was

myHACK

http://osx86.sojugarden.com/files/myHack_I....1_r55.mpkg.zip

Ethernet drivers

Dont remember where i found them, will edit when i do.

Steps

(in bios)

1.Set Drives to AHCI

2.Enable ACPI

3 Save and exit bios

4. Load in EFI v1.085

5. Swap disk with retail SL DVD

6. Partition Drive in GUID

7. Install (will say unsuccessful)

8. Force restart

9. Put in Empire EFI by aschar

10. Boot volume with -v

11. Install myHACK

12. Restart

13. Install Ethernet Drivers

And done, that was all.

PS: Over clock your CPU ^^.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

100% working on this board. I just transplanted my Rampage II Extreme install over and it worked 100%. The DSDT from that board works 100%. :(

I just need to get the audio working and I'm done. :)

Here is the DSDT and a full working Extras folder. USB3 and SATAIII aren't tested but the rest of the system is 100% stable...shutdown, reboot and sleep/wake.

http://hotfile.com/dl/26928539/4df36a1/P6X58D_Extra.zip.html

Hope that helps a few people. I'm using PCEFI 10.5 bootfile with Chameleon RC3.

Thanks soooo much for posting your file. I added that to the proper folder and BAM! I was able to see the kernel loading its various procedures. It does get stuck on a PCIe error and gives a hex value for the memory with the problem. I really don't know what else to do. I think it is my video card that is giving me the run around. I am using an ATI Radeon HD 5770. I don't really want to buy an nVidia just for this machine as the ATI card runs great on windows 7.... Maybe 10.6.3 will have the 5000 series kexts.?

Thanks soooo much for posting your file. I added that to the proper folder and BAM! I was able to see the kernel loading its various procedures. It does get stuck on a PCIe error and gives a hex value for the memory with the problem. I really don't know what else to do. I think it is my video card that is giving me the run around. I am using an ATI Radeon HD 5770. I don't really want to buy an nVidia just for this machine as the ATI card runs great on windows 7.... Maybe 10.6.3 will have the 5000 series kexts.?

Possibly but nothing is certain yet. Can you get into the OS when using the -x switch to boot in safemode?

OK! So I went another route and finally got Snow Leopard running without fail on this motherboard. I found an installer package for the Ethernet drivers. I will be doing a reinstall with and recording it for a tutorial sometime in the next week or so. I have to purchase a compatible video card because at the moment all I get is VESA mode with low resolution and loads of window tearing.

The only thing I haven't figured out yet is the sound, but I should be able to figure that out soon.

OK! So I went another route and finally got Snow Leopard running without fail on this motherboard. I found an installer package for the Ethernet drivers. I will be doing a reinstall with and recording it for a tutorial sometime in the next week or so. I have to purchase a compatible video card because at the moment all I get is VESA mode with low resolution and loads of window tearing.

The only thing I haven't figured out yet is the sound, but I should be able to figure that out soon.

My extra's file fixes the sound.

ok guys im a having the same problem i guess i had snow leopard workin on core to duo but i cant seem to get it to workin on my p6x58d.i cant get to boot laoder then when i tpe -v or anyhting it gose and right before the apple screen pops up it just reset im reall fed up but i dont know what to do. if anyone can help i would be glad to take it.

setup

p6x58d

i7 920 @ 3.25

6gb 1333 ram

2x 1tb wd hd

ati hd 5850

800watt power suply+-

I have crossfire 5770's, but they're probably not supported, although I do have a old 9800gt and I believe that works.

I would however like to know where to get those ethernet drivers and how to fix sound. A PM or reply here would be great since everything else works good with the board at least

I have crossfire 5770's, but they're probably not supported, although I do have a old 9800gt and I believe that works.

I would however like to know where to get those ethernet drivers and how to fix sound. A PM or reply here would be great since everything else works good with the board at least

The files I uploaded fix sound and the ICH10 issues.

I'll will upload an updated one for the ethernet when I finish work.

But please people, read... I've stated several times that my files fix a lot of the issues here (except the ATi issues).