Snow Leopard Install for Asus P6X58D Premium

r0tt3n

352 posts in this topic

Incorrect. The DSDT that BChemist and I worked on will support the 6/12 core 980x with and without HT enabled. It may require a modded kernel for now but I'm pretty sure it's supported.

I downloaded your files.

I restored a copy of SN 10.6.3 on a USB stick, installed Chameleon RC4-AsereBLN-1.1.9 on the stick, wasn't sure what to do with the Extra folder so I just copied on the stick so I started my PC from the stick, the bootloader started then right after seemed like the installation started and the system froze with an Apple and Core i7 logo...

Would it be better if I tried to install from 10.6 DVD?

I downloaded your files.

I restored a copy of SN 10.6.3 on a USB stick, installed Chameleon RC4-AsereBLN-1.1.9 on the stick, wasn't sure what to do with the Extra folder so I just copied on the stick so I started my PC from the stick, the bootloader started then right after seemed like the installation started and the system froze with an Apple and Core i7 logo...

Would it be better if I tried to install from 10.6 DVD?

Read this before going further

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=213212

Okay, that might be, but i meant vanilla install (stock kernel). I thought that was what the guy tried to do. But if you know how to boot retail (with stock kernel) on that cpu, be my guest and help the guy. Until then the incorrect is kinda correct.

You could specify cores manually on boot to eliminate any incompatibilities for now.

I'll try to post a full fix/solution later tonight.

You could specify cores manually on boot to eliminate any incompatibilities for now.

I'll try to post a full fix/solution later tonight.

That would be very appreciated :(

All the literature I can find suggests that with 10.6.3 (or 10.6.3.1) it's supported. Until then you can use the CPU flag to specify how many cores (up to 4) and then once 10.6.3 is install it should (I'm 99% sure) work fine.

Ok...since there's no guide I'll ask my questions as I go and put together each part to develop the guide.

Here's what I've done so far:

1. Set my BIOS up according to what's listed here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1394042

2. Created a Mac OS Extended (Journaled) partition using GUID and restored the SL disk to it.

3. Downloaded the FINAL files provided by Kup:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1419335

What's next? I tried installing chameleon as provided in the FINAL package but when I tried to restart my system, it said there was no boot device. So currently I'm at step 3...help is GREATLY appreciated.

Some improvement.

This time I've used [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]+[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] (no dsdt)

was able to boot and install, when I tried to boot from the new installation drive with the command busratio=25 I got an error with audio and firewire and everything froze.

I've written a guide, I just need to finish and test the Boot132 CD.

It can be used with my files posted up there ^^^ and the P6T Boot132 CD from here for now. You'll just need to work out the support files yourself until I complete the Boot132 CD.

THIS GUIDE ASSUMES PEOPLE HAVE RESEARCHED THEIR GRAPHICS CARDS AND KNOW WHAT WILL AND WON'T WORK WITH SNOW LEOPARD. PLEASE KEEP GRAPHICS DISCUSSION IN THE GRAPHICS FORUM.

PLEASE NOTE IT'S NOT FINISHED YET!!!

Bios Setup.

Follow the pictures below (borrowed from the P6T Deluxe thread here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=208724)

===

1: Boot the System with the Provided Boot132 CD.

2: Once the Boot Menu appears, eject the CD, insert your Snow Leopard DVD and press F5.

3: The Menu should refresh and show the Snow Leopard Install DVD instead.

4: At this point you can enter any flags you require;

-x (Safe Mode)

-v (Verbose)

arch=i386 (Enabled 32Bit mode)

cpus=# (# = Number of cores)

busratio=# (# = Multiplier of CPU, use 20 if you have an i7 920, 21 if you have a 930, 22 if you have a 940 and so on)

"Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32@85" (Width x Height x Depth x RefreshRate)

-v -x cpus=1 arch=i386 busratio=20

5: Hit Enter and OSX should start to boot, eventually resulting in the Language Menu. Select your chosen Language and continue.

6: You will now be greeted with a very basic OSX desktop, focusing on the Installer in the center on the screen. Ignore that for now and on the top menu bar go to Utilities and then Disk Utility.

7: Select the HDD you wish to install to and click the Partitions Tab. Adjust the partitions according to your requirements (I would recommend 1 partition first time round).

8: Select GUID Partition Scheme and apply the changes. Disk Utility will format the HDD/Partitions. Once completed exit Disk Utility and you'll be back at the Installer.

9: Click through until you get the option to pick a Volume (HDD/Partition) to install Snow Leopard to. At this point you can also click Customise and choose which extra bits and pieces you wish to install (Printer Drivers and stuff).

10: The installation will continue through until the end but MAY tell you that it has failed right at the end, this is fine and expected. We'll fix this in the next few steps.

11: Reboot the System when prompted to do so and hit F8 to bring up the Asus Boot Menu. Eject the Snow Leopard Install DVD and insert the Boot132 CD once again.

12: Boot the Boot132 CD and you'll be back at the Boot Menu, this time with the Boot132 CD and your Snow Leopard HDD visible. Select the Snow Leopard HDD and apply the same flags as before, hit Enter and cross your fingers.

13: Watch the Video (or don't) and continue through the setup, you will need a password on your user account. Skip the registration with Command+Q (Windows Key+Q, or on some Keyboards this will be Alt+Q).

14: You should now be at the desktop with a CD Icon at the top right. Double Click it to open the contents in Finder. Navigate to the 'Post Install' Folder and the to the BootLoader Installer.

15: Run the BootLoader Installer and just click through to the end (you may wish to manually specify the location when prompted to do so).

16: Now switch back to your 'Post Install' folder and extract the contents of the archive to the Root of your installation HDD (this is the first Folder that includes all other Folders).

17: You should now have a Folder labled 'Extra' installed in the Root of your main HDD.

18: Back at the desktop, insert the Boot132 CD if you ejected it and navigate back to the 'Post Install' Folder. Copy and Paste both 'Kext Utility' and 'Kext Helper B7'to your desktop.

19: Double click 'Kext Utility' on the desktop, enter your password and let it run. This step is to reset permissions on your Kexts and allow the system to boot correctly without the Boot132 CD.

At this point you could reboot and Snow Leopard should run just fine without the Boot132 CD.

20: If you wish to update Snow Leopard I recommend using the 10.6.2 Update located here (http://support.apple.com/downloads/DL959/en_US/MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.2.dmg).

===

10.6.3 Update Installation.

10.6.3 causes issues with Audio right now, but there are several solutions to the problem.

1: Navigate to System/Library/Extensions on your Snow Leopard HDD and copy and paste the AppleHDA.kext to your desktop.

2: Download and install the 10.6.3 Update (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1017) and install it as you did with 10.6.2 (or if you didn't install 10.6.2, just click through, it's pretty simple).

3: Once installed you will be required to reboot. Do so and when you return to Snow Leopard you'll have lost your Audio. Don't worry, this is why we backed up the AppleHDA.kext from 10.6.2 (or lower).

4: Open up 'Kext Helper B7' from the desktop, drag and drop the 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext into it, enter your password and click 'RUN'. This should now be replacing your 10.6.3 AppleHDA.kext with the working one. Once completed close 'Kext Helper B7' and open 'Kext Utility' from your desktop. Enter your password and hit Enter. This is just to double check and reset permissions on your HDD.

5: Once completed, close 'Kext Utility' and reboot. This time you should have Audio back and working. ;)

===

Advanced Power Managment.

If you want to enable Advanced Power Managment on your Snow Leopard install, you can copy and paste the ' IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext' from the 'Post Install' Folder on the Boot132 CD into 'Kext Helper B7', run it as above and then close it and run 'Kext Utility' as above too. This should enable much better power saving and Speed Stepping on your i7 CPU.

Did you use the flags I specified above? What CPU do you have?

I have a Core i7 920 Rev D0

EDIT: I did see the flags, but I haven't even been able to get my PC to boot from my flash drive yet. I partitioned and restored the SL DVD to it, but that's as far as I've gotten. It takes about 30 minutes to complete this process and I've done it about 6 times due to not being able to boot upon installing Chameleon.

I followed the steps listed in post 2 (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1394048) on the thread you listed. I'm up to Step 6 under the "Restore the Snow Leopard DVD image to your flash drive" part.

Download the Boot132 CD from where I linked. Burn the .ISO to a blank disc and boot it.

Please read people! I had to learn how to do this stuff so you can too. I researched over and over and over, I tried and tried and tried until I got it.

Download the Boot132 CD from where I linked. Burn the .ISO to a blank disc and boot it.

Please read people! I had to learn how to do this stuff so you can too. I researched over and over and over, I tried and tried and tried until I got it.

I have read, lol. It doesn't say anything about burning the iso to a dvd/cd. it says to mount it and copy the P6T Deluxe package to your desktop and install it to your flash drive...I appreciate the help, but when the guide starts by saying boot from the 132 cd and doesn't explain how to create that cd, i have to ask the question.

Being new to this, it seemed to me the P6T Deluxe Install package would be specific to that board. In your post you say

It can be used with my files posted up there ^^^ and the P6T Boot132 CD from here for now. You'll just need to work out the support files yourself until I complete the Boot132 CD.

...and truth be told, I don't know how to work out the support files...I don't even know what the support files are or what they do.

Once again, I appreciate the help...but if you find the questions I ask irritating, feel free to let someone answer. I can be patient if I have to be.

With that said, I have my flash drive setup with SL on it and have installed the boot-132 P6T Deluxe package to my flash drive also.

My guess is I just need to replace the Extras folder. Is that true?

I'm not that far in. I don't have the boot-132 CD...no idea how to set it up.

You don't need to set anything, just burn the iso to a cd/dvd, in windows, linux, mac. Then boot it and swap it with the dvd with snow, or boot the partition where you restore the snow to, if that's the case. And then go with the guide. For support files just use the ones in your previous link (kup final pack etc).

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=H29E9M8M

You don't need to set anything, just burn the iso to a cd/dvd, in windows, linux, mac. Then boot it and swap it with the dvd with snow, or boot the partition where you restore the snow to, if that's the case. And then go with the guide. For support files just use the ones in your previous link (kup final pack etc).

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=H29E9M8M

Will give that a shot right now. Thanks!

Will give that a shot right now. Thanks!

Support files (kup final pack)

After installation, and boot ing with cd-boot again, install chameleon (don't restart yet!!!), replace Extra folder (root partition, where mac's installed) content or entire folder (remove the asus dsdt.aml.zip file inside - only the ZIP one!!!), restart, update to 10.6.3, install binary patched AppleHDA.kext (1.8.4fc3) for audio back in 10.6.3 (use Kext Helper, the AppleHDA.kext vanilla (stock/original/untouched) will be backed up on the root partition in a folder, leave it there, no harm to have it backed up), restart. Enjoy!

support_files.zip

AppleHDA.kext.zip

No go on the boot132 CD. I burned the files inside the iso to a disk I can't get it to boot. I even brought up the boot menu and selected the CD but nothing happens and it goes to the Windows Boot Manager.

Dude, you don't burn the "the files inside the iso", you just burn the iso. It's a bootable standalone boot-cd. It can get you at least to the chameleon boot screen for sure (you need to have cd primary boot device set in bios, or choose it like you said above). Did you burn an image file before?

Dude, you don't burn the "the files inside the iso", you just burn the iso. It's a bootable standalone boot-cd. It can get you at least to the chameleon boot screen for sure (you need to have cd primary boot device set in bios, or choose it like you said above). Did you burn an image file before?

I tried burning just the iso first but it didn't work...so I then followed that up by burning those inside it. no luck.

EDIT: D'oh! The first time i put in a blank disk. I got it to boot.

Support files (kup final pack)

After installation, and boot ing with cd-boot again, install chameleon (don't restart yet!!!), replace Extra folder (root partition, where mac's installed) content or entire folder (remove the asus dsdt.aml.zip file inside - only the ZIP one!!!), restart, update to 10.6.3, install binary patched AppleHDA.kext (1.8.4fc3) for audio back in 10.6.3 (use Kext Helper, the AppleHDA.kext vanilla (stock/original/untouched) will be backed up on the root partition in a folder, leave it there, no harm to have it backed up), restart. Enjoy!

Is this the 10.6.3 v1.1 AppleHDA?