Snow Leopard Install for Asus P6X58D Premium

r0tt3n

352 posts in this topic

So I've been trying to get dual GFX via the EFI String method and it doesn't work. :dev:

9800GTX+ and an 8800GTS (G92) on 3 and 9 respectively just freezes at the boot screen or at the final stage of boot if booting verbose. :)

EDIT: Smeared, are you using the FINAL pack I put together?

yeah.. exactly as you had it.

But like I said, the one that's working is your previous one, I think from the rampage. Also, on the final one, restart never actually restarts the computer, just shuts down mac os x it seems.

I have c1e off, speedstep off, 1600MHz ram, 4011 MHz 19x191.

good info and thanks for the help, however I am still puzzled on the part where the installation fails and you have to force a reboot to swap disc for the empire efi disc by aschar. Someone mention to boot with -v, but i don't see that prompt to do that when this disc is booted. All i see is to either boot the boot disc or boot into osx. My bios settings are also configured correctly as well, because I used the screenshots that someone provided on this forum. My board is an asus p6x58, 12gb ram, and a nvidia 1gb videocard. As of right now, thats where I'm at, if someone could point me in the right direction that would be nice or give me some feedback.

Again thanks for the help everyone.

good info and thanks for the help, however I am still puzzled on the part where the installation fails and you have to force a reboot to swap disc for the empire efi disc by aschar. Someone mention to boot with -v, but i don't see that prompt to do that when this disc is booted. All i see is to either boot the boot disc or boot into osx. My bios settings are also configured correctly as well, because I used the screenshots that someone provided on this forum. My board is an asus p6x58, 12gb ram, and a nvidia 1gb videocard. As of right now, thats where I'm at, if someone could point me in the right direction that would be nice or give me some feedback.

Again thanks for the help everyone.

After the install fails, it should still be installed properly, you need to restart and boot from the boot disk again, then you should see the install on your hard drive, select it with the arrow key, and then just type -v for verbose.. if that doesn't work i think other ones are -f for skipping errors, and -s to boot single user mode, but honestly I had a much easier time using a usb install. I used myhack, but then once I got in I used the bootloader, and files on this thread. Good luck.

So I've been trying to get dual GFX via the EFI String method and it doesn't work. :D

9800GTX+ and an 8800GTS (G92) on 3 and 9 respectively just freezes at the boot screen or at the final stage of boot if booting verbose. :(

Sorry to hear that. Do you want to post your XML string (not the hex string)? Are you sure 3 and 9 are the correct choices? You can install each card one by one and use gfxutil to be sure.

There are guides to using gfxutil and dual graphics cards. Here's one.

http://digitaldj.net/2009/09/02/snow-leopa...deo-cards-more/

After the install fails, it should still be installed properly, you need to restart and boot from the boot disk again, then you should see the install on your hard drive, select it with the arrow key, and then just type -v for verbose.. if that doesn't work i think other ones are -f for skipping errors, and -s to boot single user mode, but honestly I had a much easier time using a usb install. I used myhack, but then once I got in I used the bootloader, and files on this thread. Good luck.

Thanks for the info, that worked great.

k im a newb but i keep getting stuck in the install. It took forever of reading and found out how to use the empire loader so u have an idea of how newb i am. thank you for the bios pics, got me where i am now. I can get the install to start but in disk utility when i start to partition it always stalls when creating partition map. Its a 1 tb drive. Is it 2 big?

i7 960 3.2ghz

12gb ram.

wd 1tb hd.

asus eah5870 video card.

The work you have done is great!! I have my board up and running with stereo audio and no digital out. I was wondering if you have digital out audio on your board or if I did something incorrectly. Used the final version.

Thanks

Thanks for all the feedback on this incredible forum as I have finally my ASUS with ATI 4890 working correctly (after several months as a Win 7 paperweight). I do have one problem which is driving me nuts (and probably a hackintosh newbie issue). :hysterical: I have to keep my external USB attached (which has the SL Install image) in order for it to boot correctly. When the USB external is attached it boots up to a graphical Darwin screen allowing me to choose which drive to boot from. I can select the SL target hard drive and it will boot fine with no problems. If I remove the USB drive and restart to boot from the new SL hard drive, I get a black screen with:

boot0: GPT

boot0: testing

boot0: error

Have I missed a step in order to get the target HD install setup to boot on its own?

Thanks in advance.

Excellent work Kup and BChemist! I have almost exactly the same system as you Kup, only I'm running just Win7.

When I built this a few weeks ago I had no idea that it would be capable of loading osx86. I was aware of the fact that there was a community of individuals that were making this possible on a mix of various components but hadn't really looked into it until after I built my system.

I also have a Mac G5 but I'm obviously dead ended on OSX. So it'd be great to set my new system up as a dual boot with both Win7 and SL.

Anyway I'd love to see that step-by-step guide on how you were able to get this all set up and the bootdisc, as I'm sure many others would as well.

I've learned an awful lot just in the last few weeks researching the various forums and experiences but I'm still somewhat confused on some of the finer details and could certainly use some "professional" guidance.

:)

dido. i cant even get mine installed. should i be in another forum for this? I got the same mobo so i figured here. ive also been checkin this page like every couple hours so im sure im being impatient also. anyways i tried again this morning. put the empire cd in cool get to darth vader and loads up. change the disk put sl in cool. press install, Script all in the background then boom, shuts down and fan on my video card goes full blast.

In my FINAL pack it has everything numbered in order. I'll be making a guide at the end of the week if that doesn't help.

Well i finally got to the osx install screen but for some odd reason it only detecs my external HD connectd via fire wire. It wont detect my internal IDE plugged in to SATA 2 port. any ideas why?

noob question. What do i do with the "3. For S:L:E (Use Kext Helper b7)" folder and contents and the "Kext Helper b7.app" and "Kext Utility.app" in the Utilities folder? I assume im suppost to run them on the intended system once i get osx installed?

Thanks.

<br />Well i finally got to the osx install screen but for some odd reason it only detecs my external HD connectd via fire wire. It wont detect my internal IDE plugged in to SATA 2 port. any ideas why?<br /><br />noob question. What do i do with the "3. For S:L:E (Use Kext Helper b7)" folder and contents and the "Kext Helper b7.app" and "Kext Utility.app" in the Utilities folder? I assume im suppost to run them on the intended system once i get osx installed?<br /><br /> Thanks.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

yes run them, but first copy over the needed files from the Final package and than run the app.

Thanks for all the feedback on this incredible forum as I have finally my ASUS with ATI 4890 working correctly (after several months as a Win 7 paperweight). I do have one problem which is driving me nuts (and probably a hackintosh newbie issue). :) I have to keep my external USB attached (which has the SL Install image) in order for it to boot correctly. When the USB external is attached it boots up to a graphical Darwin screen allowing me to choose which drive to boot from. I can select the SL target hard drive and it will boot fine with no problems. If I remove the USB drive and restart to boot from the new SL hard drive, I get a black screen with:

boot0: GPT

boot0: error

Have I missed a step in order to get the target HD install setup to boot on its own?

Thanks in advance.

You have to install the bootloader thats on your USB drive to the drive you installed snow leopard on. That way you won't need the USB anymore.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi at all, i have a p6x58d premium motherboard with intel core i7 920, nvidia 9800 gtx and snow leopard 10.6.2 installed on hard drive without problem, but if i try to install combo update 10.6.3, i have a kernel panic at attempt to load OS.

Why?

The audio works with kext attachment from kup in the extra folder after installing 10.6.2 update but the line-in don't work.

My i7 920 in about this mac and system profiler is recognized as "Quad-Core Intel Xeon"

I tried to insert in smbios.plist in the root extra folder

<key>SMcputype</key>

<string>1281</string>

but no change.

Anyone know how I could solve these problems?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone please explain how to boot the Snow Leopard disk? I have been into hackintosh for years now, and this thread is a mess! try to clean it up so it can be more helpful for newcomers!

Sharing is caring =)

I tried to boot with Empire efi normal and i7 edition. Normal boot disk gives me the still waiting for root and the i7 edition gives me the up time in nano seconds etc.

My bios should be set correctly, what am i missing?

Hi guys, can you please share what your install method was? i am having a hard time here trying to install from retail 10.6.3 disc.

Any pointers on what i have to do? i have read this thread from start to end many times with out success! =(