Snow Leopard Install for Asus P6X58D Premium

r0tt3n

352 posts in this topic

Hello!

I'm new here, and although I can do "brain surgery" in all things Windows (especially server products), I'm only 1 year in to my first Mac since the 80s, a MBP.

I am about to pull the trigger on this purchase for an OSx86:

P6X58D motherboard

XFX Core Edition GS250XZSL4 GeForce GTS 250 1GB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor

With the 6.0 gbps drives (2x2gig) and 6 gig of DDR3 memory (3x 2GB). Rack mount case and 600w power supply. Will use a large (32GB) USB flash drive in lieu of any DVD drive.

I have made a Dell D820 into an osx86 in the past as an exercise, but have now blown it away and it's back on windows 7.

Can someone let me know if I have a reasonable chance of success? I've read back and seen that the MB will work, but I get the idea that the USB3 and the SATA 6.0 won't, is that correct? Someone has the Sound working 100 percent (mobo sound) I see.... but I saw nothing about this video card (lots of posts was going blind, maybe I missed it). I need to have a video card that works, I COULD give up this HDMI model and go with a DVI converter and a box that puts optical audio onto the HDMI cable. Open to everyone's thoughts!

I can spend the money on an iPad instead, but I got fed up waiting for it, 3 delays in shipping already. This could be fun if I can get some guidance. It would actually give me more of what I'm looking for than the iPad. The iPad would just look cool at Starbucks, and that's about all.

Thanks for whatever constructive ideas you might have.....

Dave

I am really happy with my setup 100% working with 10.6.3. (i have not tested the SATA 6 port or USB3, i am sure it will be supported in the near future if it's deal breaker)

Right now i can manage just fine with SATA 3 and USB 2

This is my workstation computer and i am really happy.

Be careful with what ram you buy, be 100% sure that the ram/memory your buying is at the Corsair or Asus's compatible list =)

People in this thread could be a bit nicer to respond when people ask questions etc. Other than that i will do my best to respond whenever i have the time.

Good luck

I am really happy with my setup 100% working with 10.6.3. (i have not tested the SATA 6 port or USB3, i am sure it will be supported in the near future if it's deal breaker)

Right now i can manage just fine with SATA 3 and USB 2

This is my workstation computer and i am really happy.

Be careful with what ram you buy, be 100% sure that the ram/memory your buying is at the Corsair or Asus's compatible list =)

People in this thread could be a bit nicer to respond when people ask questions etc. Other than that i will do my best to respond whenever i have the time.

Good luck

Thank you so much for that prompt reply. I really appreciate your thoughts.

My memory is on the list, and will buy thru NewEgg and if it's a problem, they'll make it good, they say.

OK. I'll think for a few more hours, but I'm probably going to pull the trigger!

That is the exact same memory kit i got C9 version i think and have had nothing but trouble a friend of mine got the same board and the same ram kit XMS3 version 9.1, he RMA 4 boards and ram kit and each time the same problem, on my board the second blue ram slot refuse to accept this memory kit.

So i have to run 2 dims in blue slots and 1 dim in the first black one, so no Triple channel for me!

That is the exact same memory kit i got C9 version i think and have had nothing but trouble a friend of mine got the same board and the same ram kit XMS3 version 9.1, he RMA 4 boards and ram kit and each time the same problem, on my board the second blue ram slot refuse to accept this memory kit.

So i have to run 2 dims in blue slots and 1 dim in the first black one, so no Triple channel for me!

The C9 version obviously uses different chips, I think there are about 6 different versions of XMS3 ram that corsair sells.

The C7 ones I linked are 100% compatible with this board even when using 6 sticks. Look at the reviews on newegg you will see several others using the p6x58d board and this ram.

I am about to pull the trigger on this purchase for an OSx86:

P6X58D motherboard

XFX Core Edition GS250XZSL4 GeForce GTS 250 1GB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor

With the 6.0 gbps drives (2x2gig) and 6 gig of DDR3 memory (3x 2GB). Rack mount case and 600w power supply. Will use a large (32GB) USB flash drive in lieu of any DVD drive.

I pulled the trigger! The order should arrive tomorrow.

Once I physically get the box built, I will start installation.

I did order 3 of the 2GB 6.0 GBpS drives which I plan to configure as Raid 5.

My strategy is this:

1. Get the basic install done, recognizing the mobo / proc and the 6 gbps hard drives.

2. Get the video card kexts done so I have more than VGA.

3. Get the sound working

4. Get the sound to pass thru HDMI.

5. Get USB 3.0 working

6. Once here, my plan is to put Snow Server on in lieu of Snow.

I will be posting asking for help step by step in an organized fashion. I've invested over a grand on this, quite a risk considering I'm working without the Apple safety net here. I'm very dependent on the good will of you who have gone before!

Thanks for any guidance you can send my way.

The C9 version obviously uses different chips, I think there are about 6 different versions of XMS3 ram that corsair sells.

The C7 ones I linked are 100% compatible with this board even when using 6 sticks. Look at the reviews on newegg you will see several others using the p6x58d board and this ram.

This is the memory I ordered:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820231306

The forums had very positive reviews on this as regards this memory on this mobo.

it's nearing 3 months, not to rush bchemist but what is the install method?

I don't need lan, just going wireless. there are files scattered in this topic. what will get me running an ATI 48xx card with audio on 10.6.3?

For this setup, is there any difference between the P6X58D-E and the P6X58D Premium?

All the premium offers is Dual Lan over the E version? I don't need dual lan, I am going wireless.

I had originally not ordered a DVD drive for this, was going to use USB methods. After several hours of frustration, I couldn't get as much as a flicker out of this, using all the techniques I could find under the USB install threads.... so, I have a DVD drive arriving today.

I sure hope this gets me started. It hasn't been exactly encouraging so far, I'm hoping someone notices the cries for help here (mine and others) and chimes in!

EDIT/BUMP: I have spent the day. Only one method boots me to where I can even see the Snow CD at all, and thats TonyMacX's [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].

But when the Snow CD starts, it black screens with ACPI power management being the last thing I see.

What am I doing wrong with the Chameleon / EFI methods? All of them just say "not bootable" or similar messages, either burned to CD or on Flash drive.

Can anyone help, please?

Hey people, sorry for the down time; had real life stuff going on.

Use the P6T Deluxe v2 guide, use my files instead. That's pretty much it.

I will make a proper guide but I need to redo my install first.

Hey people, sorry for the down time; had real life stuff going on.

Use the P6T Deluxe v2 guide, use my files instead. That's pretty much it.

I will make a proper guide but I need to redo my install first.

Kup, real glad to see you're back! Your postings were so spot on for my problems.

I have put in over 100 hours. Mostly learning what not to do. I have reinstalled so many times I've lost count, but as of today, I have graphics running. I've had several other successes, too. Today I had 1920x1080i, changed to 1080p and nothing but blue screens. Tried everything I could think of (safe mode, etc) to get the dang thing back, no joy. So reinstall again, and I'll leave it at 1080p until I have made good and sure I have recovery methods in place (good time machine b/u.) I was so excited to have a choice of screen res I pushed the button, and nothing but light blue!

I have had my Atheros PCI Wireless N card running and looking like an AirPort, too, and have my ethernet figured out. No sound yet, I can get to the point where it gives me the right choices, but there's nothing coming out. I've yet to try the fibre-optic SPDIF, and that's probably the answer. I'll do that once graphics are up, stable, and under 10.6.3 instead of 10.6.0.

I'm learining!

Dave

Which P6T Deluxe v2 guide should I be using? I found 3 different ones. I'm brand new to the site and brand new to hackintoshing but would love to get SL running on my P6X58D. I just went out and bought an 8GB Flash Drive 20 minutes ago b/c I found this thread last night, lol.

Any help you guys could provide a newbie would be GREATLY appreciated.

EDIT: Daskog, you mentioned you were going to post a mini guide...any luck? I don't even know where to start :P

I am new to this site but am very interested in trying this. I just built my computer about 2 weeks ago. I cant seem to find a section on this site about what RAM is compatible. I checked the Wiki but RAM isn't a topic. I have Corsair Core i7 Dominator 6GB PC12800 DDR3 RAM - Tri Channel, 1600MHz. This is the only piece of hardware I have questions about. Does anyone have to link to what RAM is compatible or knows if my RAM is compatible? Thanks in advance!!

These are the rest of my specs:

XFX Radeon HD 5770 video card.

Core i7 930

Corsair Core i7 Dominator 6GB PC12800 DDR3 RAM - Tri Channel, 1600MHz

500gb WD Caviar Blue (still in box just for this install)

P6X58D Premium (of course)

I am new to this site but am very interested in trying this. I just built my computer about 2 weeks ago. I cant seem to find a section on this site about what RAM is compatible. I checked the Wiki but RAM isn't a topic. I have Corsair Core i7 Dominator 6GB PC12800 DDR3 RAM - Tri Channel, 1600MHz. This is the only piece of hardware I have questions about. Does anyone have to link to what RAM is compatible or knows if my RAM is compatible? Thanks in advance!!

These are the rest of my specs:

XFX Radeon HD 5770 video card.

Core i7 930

Corsair Core i7 Dominator 6GB PC12800 DDR3 RAM - Tri Channel, 1600MHz

500gb WD Caviar Blue (still in box just for this install)

P6X58D Premium (of course)

I'll be more concerned about "my video card"; HD 5770 has no support in mac os x - qe/ci (quartz extreme/core image). Basically if your mobo (motherboard) has support in mac os x, and your ram is properly chosen and supported by the mobo, you'll not have any issues there.

Hey I have been working and trying to do a install of osx on my custom built pc for sometime now. I was able to get to the install screen. I went to the disk utility and formatted

my HD with GUID once Snow gets installed it does a restart and I insert my boot cd back in and load my HD and it gets to the apple screen with the spinning circle. However right after it crashes and sais "you need to restart your computer hold down the power button" etc. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong or what else I need to do?? My computer specs are: Intel Core i7 920 processor, (1) western digital 500gb sata HD, (1) Velociraptor 250 gb sata HD, P6x58d premium mobo, 6gb corshair Ram, Gtx 480 gpu. I am installing snow leapord 10.6 my WD HD is what I am installing OSX on and my raptor has win7 on it. I know this error I'm getting is a kernal panic, but I have no idea how to fix it or what I need to do. I also don't even know if fermi v-cards are supported yet. So can someoe please help. I appreciate it. And a new guide from Kup would be awesome :). Thanks guys!

Ok I need some help... I'm an hackintosh newbie but have some experience with computers PC, Mac even Linux.

Computer spec:

MOBO: Asus P6X58D Premium

CPU: Intel i7 980X (Overclocked to 4.3GHz, Liquid Cooled)

GPU: Zotac GTX 260

HDDs: WD 1TB, VelociRaptor 600GB, A-Data SSD in RAID 0 120GB

I did all this:

1.Set Drives to AHCI

2.Enable ACPI

3 Save and exit bios

4. Load in EFI v1.085

5. Swap disk with retail SL DVD

after I load the DVD I get

ACPI Table not found: DSD.aml

Starting Darwin x86

any button I press will restart the system

I tried Empire EFI For Intel i7 and Intel x58 Chipset by aschar and it runs a bunch of command then just restart the system by itself.

Also tried to run a USB stick with SL DVD image and My Hack installed and it will go further running commands but will restart by itself on both EFIs...

What am I doing wrong?

Ok I need some help... I'm an hackintosh newbie but have some experience with computers PC, Mac even Linux.

Computer spec:

MOBO: Asus P6X58D Premium

CPU: Intel i7 980X (Overclocked to 4.3GHz, Liquid Cooled)

GPU: Zotac GTX 260

HDDs: WD 1TB, VelociRaptor 600GB, A-Data SSD in RAID 0 120GB

I did all this:

1.Set Drives to AHCI

2.Enable ACPI

3 Save and exit bios

4. Load in EFI v1.085

5. Swap disk with retail SL DVD

after I load the DVD I get

ACPI Table not found: DSD.aml

Starting Darwin x86

any button I press will restart the system

I tried Empire EFI For Intel i7 and Intel x58 Chipset by aschar and it runs a bunch of command then just restart the system by itself.

Also tried to run a USB stick with SL DVD image and My Hack installed and it will go further running commands but will restart by itself on both EFIs...

What am I doing wrong?

Your CPU is the problem! I think there is no full support for it yet.

Incorrect. The DSDT that BChemist and I worked on will support the 6/12 core 980x with and without HT enabled. It may require a modded kernel for now but I'm pretty sure it's supported.

Incorrect. The DSDT that BChemist and I worked on will support the 6/12 core 980x with and without HT enabled. It may require a modded kernel for now but I'm pretty sure it's supported.

Okay, that might be, but i meant vanilla install (stock kernel). I thought that was what the guy tried to do. But if you know how to boot retail (with stock kernel) on that cpu, be my guest and help the guy. Until then the incorrect is kinda correct.