Snow Leopard Install for Asus P6X58D Premium

r0tt3n

352 posts in this topic

Although in the pic you posted above, i didn't see that in the com.apple.Boot.plist was any kernel flag set for forcing the system to boot in 32-bit mode (kernel flag = arch=i386 ), in the original com.apple.Boot.plist, from kup's pack, the flag is in the file. So, look again in the file in Extra and look for the flag and remove it from between the strings. The chameleon v2 rc4 (AsereBLN 1.1.9) is trying to boot the os in 64-bit mode by default. For audio pops, try repairing disk permissions, with Kext Utility, double-click on it, restart.

use this->

com.apple.boot.plist.zip

Although in the pic you posted above, i didn't see that in the com.apple.Boot.plist was any kernel flag set for forcing the system to boot in 32-bit mode (kernel flag = arch=i386 ), in the original com.apple.Boot.plist, from kup's pack, the flag is in the file. So, look again in the file in Extra and look for the flag and remove it from between the strings. The chameleon v2 rc4 (AsereBLN 1.1.9) is trying to boot the os in 64-bit mode by default. For audio pops, try repairing disk permissions, with Kext Utility, double-click on it, restart.

use this->

I opened up my com.apple.Boot.plist and it doesn't have any flag saying arch=i386

When I try to repair the disk everything get fixed except for

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Deploy.bundle/Contents/Resources/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/deploy.jar", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are lrw-r--r-- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Resources/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/deploy.jar", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Resources/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/libdeploy.jnilib", should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

Did you copy and paste my Extra folder to the root of your Snow HDD? Did you paste the updated AppleHDA provided by User_01 into S/L/E?

Networking works out of the box with my files. Audio may need the LegacyHDA deleting from my Extra folder and the mkext deleting?

EDIT: Also, DJ, do you have 6 cores/12 threads functioning correctly now? :)

Did you copy and paste my Extra folder to the root of your Snow HDD? Did you paste the updated AppleHDA provided by User_01 into S/L/E?

Networking works out of the box with my files. Audio may need the LegacyHDA deleting from my Extra folder and the mkext deleting?

EDIT: Also, DJ, do you have 6 cores/12 threads functioning correctly now? :)

I checked the com.apple.Boot.plist in the Extra folder, I suppose that it was modified by [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and took out the i386 command.

Not sure if all the cores are functioning. How do I check that properly? When I open Logic Studio I see 6 cores but only 4 are used.

Go to Applications>Utilities>Activity Monitor>Window(bar)>CPU Usage and try and run something like Geekbench-64-bit and watch the columns bars if they're rising.

Can monitor this also in iStat Pro or Menus.

I figured out I'm running the patched kernel 10.3.0 so it's not natively running at 64bit and have to use the command -force64

I ran Geekbench and checked activity monitor and iStat seems like the CPU goes up to about 80% while when I run Logic 150tracks almost full load activity monitor only shows 1/5 use. I selected 64bit mode in Logic file info.

It sure seems to run good though... with these scores...

post-615660-1275604617_thumb.jpg

First off, thanks to the people on this forum for the clear directions (especially KUP and USER_01).

I have my build up and running, however i am experiencing what appears to be random shutdowns. It does not appear to be temperature related based on the data reported by iStat.

any idea's of what may cause this?

I should mention that I have (to the best of my knowledge) disabled all power management in the BIOS as well as in OSX - in case that was having some effect.

The system have a GTS250 installed in case that is of relevance. It shows in the system profiler as being nvidia, but no specific model.

UPDATE WITH MORE INFO:

Forgot to mention that I have i believe ruled out potential memory problems by both changing the ram as well as using very conservative settings.

Some other information is that I am running a 930 processor.

What is in your Extra folder, and installed elsewhere (S/L/E)?

What do you mean by this, more specifically (some details)? -> "I should mention that I have (to the best of my knowledge) disabled all power management in the BIOS as well as in OSX - in case that was having some effect."

What is in your Extra folder, and installed elsewhere (S/L/E)?

What do you mean by this, more specifically (some details)? -> "I should mention that I have (to the best of my knowledge) disabled all power management in the BIOS as well as in OSX - in case that was having some effect."

The extras folder is taken directly from KUP's final files although i unzipped the asus.aml (original is there as well)

Themes

Extensions

- AppleYukon2Injector.kext

- fakemc.kext

- HDAEnabler.kext

- LegacyHDA.kext

- IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

com.apple.boot.plist

smbios.plist

asus.aml

Extensions.bak.mkext

dsdt.aml

Extensions.mkext

asus.aml.zip

The only change to the "com.apple.boot.plist" has been to enable and disable 64 bit mode to see if anything was able to make a difference.

The only change i made to S/L/E was to install the patched audio, and IOPlatformPluginFamily kext's using kext utility.

the comment w.r.t the power management was due to reading elsewhere that some people had reported issues with power management causing crashes by trying to put network cards to sleep while being used. The changes I made was to disable speedstep and turbo in the bios as well as the C states - then in OSX i set the power management to "never".

This made no difference however - although it does seem that with C states enabled it shutsdown more often - sometimes just a few seconds after showing the desktop.

The only thing i have found so far that is guaranteed to force a shutdown is to run "Portal" for a few seconds. Running other apps do not have the same predictable effect, but the crashes have also happened just surfing the web. Geekbench runs fine, and i have not found a good graphics benchmark to see if that can reproduce the result.

One final note is that in Windows 7 64 bit I have not seen any random reboots, but i have not used that as much (very little in fact)

Why you unzipped the asus.aml.zip? You already had the dsdt.aml there. Now you have two? Delete the asus.aml.zip and the one you unzipped.

Turn back all the power management in your bios.

Try to remove this kext IOPlatformPluginFamily; replace(install) with the vanilla one from 10.6.3v1.1 combo. Report.

Seems to be going from bad-to-worse. I tried backing out the IOPlatformPluginFamily and install the version you attached. but with no real change in bahaviour.

So i decided to go back to square one and do a full rebuild using the instructions earlier from Kup, as well as your instructions for building a thumbdrive to do the install - including putting all the bios setting back to default and then changing them according to the guide.

After several failed install attempts due to forgetting booting in safe mode (didn't remember needing to do that last time with the USB thumbdrive boot - and without the -x it would do a random reboot during the install), i finally managed to get the install completed from a retail 10.6.3, performed an online update, installed the boot loader, and put the extras in place - after which i still could not boot reliably except into safe mode (would reboot as soon as it hit the desktop). I then installed your attached IOPlatformPluginFamily and it seems to be a little better, however (ever notice there is always an however...) there are still random shutdowns.

Is there anyway to see what caused the shutdown? I did check for a kernel panic log without any luck.

How relevant is the BIOS version - I have the stable 0703, but am thinking of installing the 0808 to see if it is any better/different

UPDATE: Looks like it is a hardware issue, I have been able to reproduce (finally) in windows so that takes away the OSX variable... Now just need to find out if its the MB, CPU, or Video... Fortunately on Monday I will have access to another CPU and Video card the same.

Well, this is my first post here, so... greetings, salutations and the like! I (obviously) have an Asus P6x58D Premium board, based on an i7 930. For weeks I've been lurking, following this thread, (or trying to,) with the only outcome being multiple head-bashing sessions up against my wall. Any wall, for that matter... or desk... or anything else remotely near me.

Here's the thing. First tried the bootloader and files upped by kup based on the boot-132 method. No dice. Tried [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] for the ATI cards, because I had the 4670. After a week of trying to get that stupid card working unsuccessfully, I bought a freakin nvidia because all i'd get with the radeon was warbled graphics or "no signal" blank screens. Installed the nvidia, worked like a charm.... the graphics anyway. Tried empire efi.

So then my thing was, I'm reading kup's guide (I followed all steps after a successful install,) and it says use this Extra folder, but... where to put the extra folder? Hmmm.. I google... and google.... and freakin google... and apparently, the extra folder goes into the EFI partition that's HIDDEN in OSX. So I think... I'll just use the "show hidden files tool." Can't see the hidden partition. Gave up on that and just it into Macintosh HD AND in Macintosh HD / System just to cover all bases. Figured that might work. 2 weeks later, here I am, finally at the Darwin screen that asks, "Which HD do you want me to boot for you, sir?"

And now this. I tried -x, i tried -x, i tried rd=disk0s2, 0s1, 1s1, 1s2, etc, etc... NOTHING will make this hackintosh boot past "still waiting for root device." WTF!!! Someone please help! I even resorted to unplugging every single hard drive except the MAC HD, and disabled the dvd rom just to make sure there was only ONE drive in there. No dice!

For clarification, I used all the files in the final pack. Ran kext utilities, b7, after install, all that stuff. And YES I know this "still waiting" issue has been posted a gazillion times, and I'd tried all recommended suggestions that Ive come across so far. And YES I've searched this board before I posted. And YES I know this post is long but damn after all that, sometimes you just gotta vent. Lol. Thanks for any help if it should come my way.

Having trouble updating to 10.6.3 (Using User_01's mac method Post #179).

Switched to the mac install, upon multiple failed attempts at 10.6.3 install on my SL Jump Drive. But Im still having the same problem:

After the install, upon booting of the OS X drive, the computer restarts!?

It only does it for 10.6.3, 10.6 works fine.

Also could never get the audio working (yes I read, read, and read the instructions for installing the HDA Kext)

Sorry for being such a newb ;)

Hi guys i used to have a p6t deluxe v2 succesfully dual booting 10.6.3 and win 7. My mobo recently got fried and i upgraded to the P6X58D premium...hence posting here lol

I'm trying to follow the guide on page 7 of this topic/thread but i'm really confused on which files to use as there are updates in the posts after the guide and alot of attachments before. Can some1 please help me out and clear up which attachments i would need to get my vanilla installation going. I've read through all 14 pages so im really confused :)

Thanks for your effort at hackintoshing this mobo!

*My System Specs

Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz WITH HT

OCZ platinum 1600mhz 6gb (3x2gb)

XFX gtx285 1GB Black edition

P6X58D premium

1tb HD(win 7 currently installed) and 640gb HD (going to install snow leopard here)

corsair 1000W modular psu

Hi guys i used to have a p6t deluxe v2 succesfully dual booting 10.6.3 and win 7. My mobo recently got fried and i upgraded to the P6X58D premium...hence posting here lol

I'm trying to follow the guide on page 7 of this topic/thread but i'm really confused on which files to use as there are updates in the posts after the guide and alot of attachments before. Can some1 please help me out and clear up which attachments i would need to get my vanilla installation going. I've read through all 14 pages so im really confused :(

Thanks for your effort at hackintoshing this mobo!

*My System Specs

Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz WITH HT

OCZ platinum 1600mhz 6gb (3x2gb)

XFX gtx285 1GB Black edition

P6X58D premium

1tb HD(win 7 currently installed) and 640gb HD (going to install snow leopard here)

corsair 1000W modular psu

hmm well i tried following the directions but i just ended up screwing up both my hard drives so now im wiping and reinstalling win 7. I guess ill wait for more people to hackintosh this board...

RECAP for undadawg316

1 TUTORIAL POST #135 (skip introduction and end, use just the steps 1-20-> here skip the step/s about the AppleHDA.kext and go to post #145 - in this regard & when updating, go to 10.6.3 directly 10.6 ->10.6.3 - software update) - credit kup

2 GENERIC BOOT CD POST #206 (alternative post #143)

3 SUPPORT FILES POST #145 (skip the folder 3 for S/L/E)

4 MAKING YOUR OWN DSDT FILE POST #193

5 BOOTING IN 64-bit POST #251 (replace the plist file if you don't want/know to edit it yourself, to remove the 32-bit flag (arch=i386))

RECAP for undadawg316

1 TUTORIAL POST #135 (skip introduction and end, use just the steps 1-20-> here skip the step/s about the AppleHDA.kext and go to post #145 - in this regard & when updating, go to 10.6.3 directly 10.6 ->10.6.3 - software update) - credit kup

2 GENERIC BOOT CD POST #206 (alternative post #143)

3 SUPPORT FILES POST #145 (skip the folder 3 for S/L/E)

4 MAKING YOUR OWN DSDT FILE POST #193

5 BOOTING IN 64-bit POST #251 (replace the plist file if you don't want/know to edit it yourself, to remove the 32-bit flag (arch=i386))

thanks for the recap, going to make a 2nd attempt later 2nite. Do you have any idea if i can jut unplug my win 7 main HDD and ignore it completely so that i don't mess it up again? when i tried earlier i just got a BSOD right away whenever i tried to boot into win7.

Another question, is it possible to use the chameleon boot loader from the Asus P6T deluxe v2 guide?

Thanks for the help, hopefully ill be running os x on my desktop soon :angel:

Probably is a good idea to unplug, if you prefer to, but not a strictly necessary step. You could just simply set in bios first hd to boot, the one you want to install mac os x, and that will be sufficient. I suggest to install the variant of chameleon included in the pack, 'cause is a "revised" one (is AsereBLN's bootloader based on chamelon v2 rc4 & netkas's pc_efi 10.5) and it works better with the simplified smbios.plist included in Extra, to properly detect and display (about this mac/system profiler) your hardware. Just use the files i'd pointed to and you'll be set. They are all you need and up to date, trust me! If it was something more or better you could use, be sure i would have told you.

Hi, im posting from my snow leopard install but i still have a problem:(.

1. I can succesfully boot into snow leopard via the provided boot loader but, when i try to boot into my Windows partition i get a message saying BOOT MGR is missing, press CTRL ALT DEL to restart.

Also my sound isnt working but i still have to update to 10.6.3 so i'll see if i can get that working.

Thanks for all the help so far, almost there :D

Set the primary hd in bios the one with windows, boot with windows dvd and do a repair; exit set the primary hd in bios the one with snow. If you install snow on the same hd with windows, then set the partition with windows primary/active boot with dvd, repair. Set the partition with snow again primary/active again and reboot. (if you don't know how to set other partition active in mac os x other then the os x is on, tell)

Sound will work; you need to update to 10.6.3 and replace the vanilla (untouched/original) AppleHDA.kext (1.8.4fc3) with the binary patched one (same version), or the vanilla one from 10.6.2 (if you need it extract, again, tell).

Enjoy you HacPro 4,1!

Set the primary hd in bios the one with windows, boot with windows dvd and do a repair; exit set the primary hd in bios the one with snow. If you install snow on the same hd with windows, then set the partition with windows primary/active boot with dvd, repair. Set the partition with snow again primary/active again and reboot. (if you don't know how to set other partition active in mac os x other then the os x is on, tell)

Sound will work; you need to update to 10.6.3 and replace the vanilla (untouched/original) AppleHDA.kext (1.8.4fc3) with the binary patched one (same version), or the vanilla one from 10.6.2 (if you need it extract, again, tell).

Enjoy you HacPro 4,1!

Hi i just tried that but still no go, i can't boot into windows with the bootloader and the snow drive set on primary. If i set my windows drive (i have two seperate drives, one for windows and one for snow) to primary i can successfully boot into windows with no problem. For now i guess i can ignore this issue temporarily.

I updated to 10.6.3 and replaced the AppleHDA.kext with the original one with kext helper (followed tutorial post #135) and my audio still doesnt work. I think its because during installation i jsut copied and pasted the EXTRAS folder to my root directory.Was i supposed to do something with the EXTENSIONS folder inside the EXTRAS folder i got from the final package?

No you didn't suppose to do nothing more then just install the booter and then copy the Extra folder (and replace the empty one just created) or the content from it to the Extra folder from root.

This is what you should have in Extra:

Themes - okay

Extensions

- AppleYukon2Injector.kext - yes

- fakemc.kext - yes

- HDAEnabler.kext - yes

- LegacyHDA.kext - yes

- IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext - yes

com.apple.boot.plist - okay

smbios.plist - okay

Extensions.bak.mkext - can be removed&rebuild by running Kext Utility

dsdt.aml - okay

Extensions.mkext - can be removed&rebuild by running Kext Utility

asus.aml.zip - can be removed

Here i'm a little bit confused: "I updated to 10.6.3 and replaced the AppleHDA.kext with the original one..."

If you were after the installation process at version 10.6 -> AppleHDA.kext - vanilla, going to 10.6.3 software update or combo update (downloaded manually) -> AppleHDA.kext - still vanilla newer version - 1.8.4fc3

2 option to get sound with AppleHDA - original location and HDAEnabler and Legacy kexts in E/E (Extra/ Extensions)

Get the AppleHDA.kext 10.6.3 same version 1.8.4fc3, but binary patched, so it will recognize the ALC889 chipset, and replace the vanilla one already in S/L/E (System/Library/Extensions)

or

Get the AppleHDA.kext from 10.6.2 "lower version" but vanilla and do the same as above

For the "temporarily ignored" problem, i guess you need to make the chameleon know you have the windows hd there, 'cause from what you said i guess you did remove it when installing os x. To do this is by making the hidden files in os x visible (use this "tool") and navigate to root usr>standalone>i386 and copy this file "chain0" to the root of windows hd

- don't forget to make files hidden again, after!

Show_Hide_Files.app.rar

My EXTRAS folder in my root directory is exactly like you said.

What i meant when i said "I updated to 10.6.3 and replaced the AppleHDA.kext with the original one..." is...

Once i installed snow leopard (10.6) i backed up the AppleHDA.kext to my desktop. Then i installed the combo update to get snow leopard (10.6.3) updated. Then i moved the backed up kext into the correct location and used kext utility after i restarted it still doesn't work.

From what i got from your last post, i need to get a binary patched AppleHDA.kext and replace the one i have. where can i get this as it is not in the final package.

Once again, thanks for all your help!