Kakewalk: Minimal effort install (EP45, EX58, P55, G41)

mrjanek

3,658 posts in this topic

anyway I able to go around it, thanks,

my important questions are

1. Can I use update CD only of Snow Leopard

2. Am about to buy UD3LR Mobo, but I want to try if this will work on my current mobo

able to boot, but he's saying I need to restart. Does this happen because my mobo is not compatible?

is it relevant to say that I used a update Snow CD

Thanks in Advance

hey,

i'm using your amazing guide on my usb thumb, but in the language screen my system freeze (no mouse \ keyboard).

what can i do? thanks! :(

edited: forgot to write my specs -

cpu q9400

mb ep45-ud3l

gpu nvidia 8500gt

hd 3 sata drives, 1 ide

using mouse and keyboard on ps2

OK, found a work around. Using the CD install method. Using a PS2 keyboard (instead of my new apple extended USB keyboard), I was able to hit F5 and get the OSX installer going, even though I still got all those EBIOS errors. Tried unplugging/re-plugging the USB to get F5 to work, but no go...

P.S. - thanks to Dalilama for the PM's :thumbsup_anim:

You're welcome HacPro! - after we get our EP-45T-UD3LR based systems up and running we can compare notes. Have you updated to 10.6.2 yet? I'm trying to get more things working before I take the plunge....

Thanks to mrjanek & the others in this forum for the great guide and bootcd's!

Hello, I just want to Understand, Am I doing something wrong?

After I make image on my Thumb Drive, I get a failure message when Im trying to install UD3LR installation package.

Is there anything that I have to take note while doing it?

using mouse and keyboard on ps2

These have to be connected by USB

Bit of a silly question but will time machine work with this?

Say I screw up the system in a few months; if I reinstall snow leopard will I be able to get all my files back via time machine.

No, not silly at all :rolleyes:

I've tried it a lot of times and it works really well. The only thing you have to do after restoring is installing the booloader.

Will this tutorial works with the GA-EP45-DS3L Mainboard?

I doubt it. Most things would probably work but I think there would be issues with sound, sleep and so on.

My friend has the same board and wants me to install Snow on his comp. Now all is Ok but one thng. As he is not big on games he's got Ati 4550. Is there any hope for it?

It's this exact card:

http://www.powercolor.com/de/products_feat...?ProductID=5181

Ati 4550 should work after a bit of hacking. Source: netkas.org

These have to be connected by USB

No, not silly at all ;)

I've tried it a lot of times and it works really well. The only thing you have to do after restoring is installing the booloader.

I doubt it. Most things would probably work but I think there would be issues with sound, sleep and so on.

Ati 4550 should work after a bit of hacking. Source: netkas.org

Thanks for the quick response.

I'm backing up to an external HD as I type.

I noticed that SL does not allow me to write to any NTFS drives I have connected (only read). I tried installing NTFS-3G however then the volume won't mount.

Is this because NTFS-3G doesn't support SL's 64 bit kernel? Or have you managed to get read-write working on an NTFS disk?

Thanks

Thanks for the quick response.

I'm backing up to an external HD as I type.

I noticed that SL does not allow me to write to any NTFS drives I have connected (only read). I tried installing NTFS-3G however then the volume won't mount.

Is this because NTFS-3G doesn't support SL's 64 bit kernel? Or have you managed to get read-write working on an NTFS disk?

Thanks

Snow Leopard has no native write support for NTFS. NTFS-3G is really picky about mounting partitions. If the NTFS partition you're trying to mount wasn't unmounted properly it will refuse to mount it. This is to prevent data loss/corruption of files. NTFS-3G should work in 64-bit though.

Hello, I just want to Understand, Am I doing something wrong?

After I make image on my Thumb Drive, I get a failure message when Im trying to install UD3LR installation package.

Is there anything that I have to take note while doing it?

Try using the CD image - it may be slower but it gets it done where for some reason the USB method is not as reliable. See HacPro's posts.

Hi Mr Janek,

Thanks alot for this method, it works wonderfully. I have one problem though, my Vid Card is ATI Radeon HD 4650, and so my resolution is locked to 1240x768 px. I have searched the driver for this video card, but seems hopeless. Please advice how to solve this...

Thanks alot

Hi Mr Janek,

Thanks alot for this method, it works wonderfully. I have one problem though, my Vid Card is ATI Radeon HD 4650, and so my resolution is locked to 1240x768 px. I have searched the driver for this video card, but seems hopeless. Please advice how to solve this...

Thanks alot

You'll find an answer a few posts up.

2. Am about to buy UD3LR Mobo, but I want to try if this will work on my current mobo

able to boot, but he's saying I need to restart. Does this happen because my mobo is not compatible?

There is a reason this guide is for Gigabyte EP45-UD3LR.

A quick fix is to delete "NullCPUPowerManagement.kext" and "SleepEnabler.kext" from the Extra folder.

I just noticed this problem. I will upload a new version soon.

I have the latest installation file w/o those two file, But I still see this request to restart.

please help, what should I do?

Im not looking into CD now, because I was able to make thumbdrive work already.

Sigh

I have the latest installation file w/o those two file, But I still see this request to restart.

please help, what should I do?

Im not looking into CD now, because I was able to make thumbdrive work already.

Sigh

see below for the screen shots... ;)

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

Ok, i read over the whole thread but forgive me if i missed this:

will this method work with the GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L and a processor in a series other than core 2? I want to build a super cheap, simple hackintosh and was wondering if I could use an Intel Pentium E5300 2.6GHz or some other cheap processor?

thanks for the guide, its great

did more research-- this board is only compatible with core 2 processors

Just wanted to post an update. I had to do a little bit of tweaking (changed a couple of extensions in the extra folder, edited my SMBios.Plist file), but here's where I'm at now...

OSX SL 6.2 - boots no problem (Yay!)

Audio - I've tested the standard Analog out, works great. Haven't tested the rest.

Video - My 9500GT card is recognized (QE/CI working!)

Network - works great!

Firewire card - had to change slots, but now works great.

Processors were running hot, but now are idling about 30-35 degrees C

Sleep - working great!

Running latest version of Chameleon - no problem

My video camera and camera are instantly recognized.

Overall, all's good so far...

Thanks for the great post...

Thanks again for this MrJanek.

Current working setup:

EP45-UD3L

Intel Core 2 DUO E8500 3.16MHz

Gigabyte ATI4850 1GB HDMI/DVI/VGA (fully working with dual monitors)

Snow Leopard 10.6.2

My only problem is that the CPU appears to be running slow, System profiler(and geekbench) report it as 2.07GHz. Anyone have any ideas why this is?

<br />You'll find an answer a few posts up.<br /><br /><br /><br />There is a reason this guide is for Gigabyte EP45-UD3LR.<br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />

Hi thanks for the reply MrJanek. I haven't found the answer you were suggesting. I tried to use the driver from netkas.org but not working.

I would be grateful if you could be more specific, where and how to fix the resolution problem for HD 4650 (Saphire 1GB). Btw, I have lived in Handen (Stockholm) for about 6 months before returning to Asia. Sweden is such a beautiful country (and windy, and chilly and peaceful too !). Thanks before hand.

Mrjanek, would installing of the latest Chameleon ruin the installation? Why don't u implement it in your package?

Actually I've just noticed the update. No, it won't ruin anything, feel free to update. I'll be posting an updated installer with the new chameleon build later today.