Apple Magic Mouse OSX86 - external bluetooth dongle

Dannydeman

453 posts in this topic

Hi for those of you using Apple bluetooth modules, can you confirm whether or not they work in Windows 7? Are extra drivers even needed? Also specifically does it allow wake from sleep?

Thanks!

I can confirm that my rig "Mac Pro" (see my sig below) does wake from sleep using the Magic mouse, or mini bluetooth keyboard in OS X 10.6.8. I don't run Windows except in VMWare Fusion, so I can't speak to the module working in Windows.

does this apple bluetooth module work in windows? I got it working in OSX but it 's not detected at all in windows. The paired apple keyboard works in windows but i can't add new pairing since in control panel there is no bluetooth control icon.

does this apple bluetooth module work in windows? I got it working in OSX but it 's not detected at all in windows. The paired apple keyboard works in windows but i can't add new pairing since in control panel there is no bluetooth control icon.

A lot of people that are using the Apple BT module have this problem. I am sure it works via boot camp on a real Mac, so it's probably a driver issue, I thought there were boot camp drivers floating around the web somewhere, not sure where though.

A lot of people that are using the Apple BT module have this problem. I am sure it works via boot camp on a real Mac, so it's probably a driver issue, I thought there were boot camp drivers floating around the web somewhere, not sure where though.

Is there a trick to extract the bluetooth driver from Boot camp?

Is there a trick to extract the bluetooth driver from Boot camp?

I don't know. I never tried it. I just remember seeing something about boot camp drivers on one of the hackintosh forums. You will have to search and see what you find.

Good Luck

guyz, i have a http://www.hamletcom.com/products/xbtus100.aspx and i want to connect a magic TRACKPAD (i think it's the same with magic mouse, so, if i could connect a magic mouse, i think it could be possible with the trakpad), so, do you think it will works with my bluetooth dongle? does anyone have it?

i can say i'm using Lion with x64 kernel, and, if i connect dongle, all works, system finds bluetooth with stock drivers, and, i can sync my nokia n95 with salling clicker (a program witch transorm my n95 into a false apple remote :) )

so, could it works?

no one? :angel:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I bought a generic CSR dongle off ebay for a cent (!), it sees my magic mouse but it always fails to pair. I put the id's into the iobluetoothfamily.kext and I downloaded the legacybluetooth.kext earlier in this thread and put the id's in that too. Neither worked and it still fails to pair. I've been literally working on this all day. Should I invest in an asus dongle or are there any fixes?

Edit: Picked up an Asus BT211, works perfectly. Had to update firmware in Windows but afterwords it works great so far.

Edit2: Don't buy the Asus BT211, it worked fine at first, but every time I went into Windows and back into OS X it wouldn't work an it would freeze when I put more than 2 fingers on the mouse. So in the end I picked up and IOgear bluetooth adapter and it worked out of the box.

• 1 month later...
Maxos, IT WORKS!

So I followed your directions, upgraded the firmware, and paired it in ubuntu first, now bluetooth works in CMOS, BIOS, I can actually select my OS at bootlevel without having to plug in the USB keyboard.

D-Link DBT-120 -- heres what I have going -- CMOS/BIOS keyboard control, windows bluetooth (keyboard and mouse) control, mac (keyboard and mouse control), all without having to reconfigure the mouse, keyboard everytime.

The only thing that is still not working is the 'Allow bluetooth devices to wake this computer', if anyone has a clue, please fill me in.

I thought I'll list all the steps I followed (thank you to the original authors) to make it easier for others --

Step 1. Upgrade the DBT-120 firmware -- if your Mac OSX is current, you're SOL because you require tiger or some 10.5 varient to get the Bluetooth Firmware update 1.2 from Apple working. You'll have to use Ubuntu to upgrade the firmware -- directions from Maxos:

Procedure:

1. Download Ubuntu and put it on a usb stick.

2. Boot from it in live mode.

3. Backup the firmware on the bt dongle:

Open a terminal and type: sudo dfutool -d hci0 archive backup.dfu (this will save the file in your home directory), then it will say something like:

CODE

Available devices with DFU support:

1) Bus 008 Device 004: ID 0a12:0001 Interface 2

Press 1.

4. Upgrade the firmware:

In terminal type: sudo dfutool -d hci0 upgrade

Press space and drag the .dfu file to terminal

It will be something like this:

sudo dfutool -d hci0 upgrade '/home/ubuntu/Desktop/GenericCSR.dfu'

Press Enter.

When it shows

CODE

Available devices with DFU support:

1) Bus 008 Device 004: ID 0a12:0001 Interface 2

Choose 1.

It will show something like this:

Filename GenericCSR.dfu

Filesize 994866

Checksum 65085dde (valid)

It should show a message when it is done upgrading the firmware.

I upload the new firmware: GenericCSR.zip, and my backed up firmware. DBT120.zip.

DBT120: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=89079

GenericCSR: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=89080

---

Step 2 You'll need to reboot into Ubuntu again, setup the bluetooth and link your keyboard (and mouse).

Step 3. Reboot, and your keyboard should now be functioning under BIOS. Boot into Windows. You'll need to get the HID2HCI stack to get it to work under Windows. Download and install BTINSTALL: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...ost&id=1885 and it will automate the process for you, setting up files and startup options. Alternatively view the thread at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=12293 and follow the directions. Reboot into Windows again, and pair your keyboard, mouse.

Step 4. Reboot into Mac OSX and pair your keyboard, mouse. If you have an apple mouse & keyboard you might have to turn them off and on again before it will work. Remember, always pair Windows first before Mac OSX, so you don't have to keep on repairing after each reboot.

Now only if wake on bluetooth keyboard/mouse would work :(

Thanks for your post! Wouldn't it be possible to just flash your current Firmware on other DBT-120's that don't have the Apple Update?

Not many people have access to older macs..

• 4 weeks later...
Guys, you can also use 2x1N4001 diodes in series with the 5V UBS power to get the voltage down to ~3.6V or so. Working for me (see sig)

Hi kmare, I cant find 1N4001 where I live, just the 1N4004 and 1N4007.

Do you think they can work as well as 1N4001 for my purpose??

In theory, all 1N400x have the same electrical behavior in forward bias, right?

And thats the way that we must used, in forward polarization, to step-down the voltage to 3,3v, isn't it?

I await your answer before I ruin everything.

Thanks in advance.

1N4001_7_Family.pdf

• 1 month later...

Can someone PLEASE help me??

I finally bought an ASUS BT21, I can connect & pair my Magic Mouse, but the pointer is often slow 8bad batteries?)

and I don't have the gesture options, like scrolling or swiping.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? I did not change the IOblutooth.kext

Well i got it working now thanks to linux.

Procedure:

1. Download Ubuntu and put it on a usb stick.

2. Boot from it in live mode.

3. Backup the firmware on the bt dongle:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Open a terminal and type: sudo dfutool -d hci0 archive backup.dfu (this will save the file in your home directory), then it will say something like:

<!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->Available devices with DFU support:

1) Bus 008 Device 004: ID 0a12:0001 Interface 2<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->

Press 1.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

4. Upgrade the firmware:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In terminal type: sudo dfutool -d hci0 upgrade

Press space and drag the .dfu file to terminal

It will be something like this:

sudo dfutool -d hci0 upgrade '/home/ubuntu/Desktop/GenericCSR.dfu'

Press Enter.

When it shows

<!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->Available devices with DFU support:

1) Bus 008 Device 004: ID 0a12:0001 Interface 2<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->

Choose 1.

It will show something like this:

Filename GenericCSR.dfu

Filesize 994866

Checksum 65085dde (valid)

It should show a message when it is done upgrading the firmware.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Just reboot and boot into ubuntu again to pair your keyboard or mouse there. After i rebooted i noticed the keyboard was not working in bios so i tried to boot into windows and installed hid2hci tray.

It did show bluetooth is working but i could not tick ''Allow bluetooth devices to find this computer'' cause it claimed i dont have the bt dongle connected so i could not make the apple keyboard to show up and pair.

Thats why i went into ubuntu again to see if it would work there and after i paired there windows would allow me to tick ''Allow bluetooth devices to find this computer'' and then also found apple keyboard and it worked in bios too.

I upload the new firmware: GenericCSR.zip, and my backed up firmware. DBT120.zip.

link to GenericCSR.zip is dead, pls reload it

Hi kmare, I cant find 1N4001 where I live, just the 1N4004 and 1N4007.

Do you think they can work as well as 1N4001 for my purpose??

In theory, all 1N400x have the same electrical behavior in forward bias, right?

And thats the way that we must used, in forward polarization, to step-down the voltage to 3,3v, isn't it?

I await your answer before I ruin everything.

Thanks in advance.

I just want to say that I finally made it with 2x1N4007 diodes and its working 100% perfect with my Lion OSx86 "Sandy Bridge 1155" Build.

Only 1 question, is there any way to use Magic Mouse, Magic Trackpad and Apple Wireless Keyboard in the BIOS of a PC ??

I need to use the Bluetooth stuff during the boot, to select the OS i want to run.

Thanks in advance and sorry for my english.

Can someone PLEASE help me??

I finally bought an ASUS BT21, I can connect & pair my Magic Mouse, but the pointer is often slow 8bad batteries?)

and I don't have the gesture options, like scrolling or swiping.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? I did not change the IOblutooth.kext

Please, is there nobody who can help me with this?

I know broadcom based bluetooth chips allow for BIOS bluetooth recognition upon boot for certain models. My BT usb adapter for instance allows me to use my bt keyboard in the BIOS once I wake the keyboard while the computer is POSTing.

Screen%20Shot%202011-12-06%20at%2010.48.04%20PM.png

What is your bluetooth model ? Would like to purchase one as yours.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

After waiting 4 months to find (so hard) a producer for the newer Broadcom chipset 920702 which is mounted in the newer macbook/iphone4/ipad3

and is the newer BT 4.0 Dual mode (less watt, more power)

(and considering that the mini pcie wifi+Bt4.0 in the ebay market is unusable for a hack because it has 4313 chipset..

finally..

I find an USB dongle!!

it is German seller Ebay.. the item is called DELOCK usb 4.0

so.. simply fixing the usual kexts... to match dev id and vendor and subclass.. It run!!!

I've soldered it in my Asus G53

I'll give you attachment link..

the ebay item is:

and I assure that the chipset is 20720 broadcom

so the plist mods are really simple.. as usual in the IOBluetoothFamily

I'll give you attachment link..

the ebay item is:

and I assure that the chipset is 20720 broadcom

so the plist mods are really simple.. as usual in the IOBluetoothFamily

With this dongle, can you turn the Bluetooth ON / OFF through the menubar bluetooth icon?

And do you know if it works at the BIOS and Chameleon Boot Screen?

I think I'll buy one for my apple weireless keyboard.

sometines not. i never ha this need.. but after your post.. I see that sometimes it's hard to turn off BT.

I have to kill bled service manuall if I want to obtain that.

I found that amazon sells anoher one bt4.0.. I suppose that asap the newer broadcm chipset will become a standard.. my suggestion for you is to wait for another one or two months..

bye

• 4 weeks later...

I'm using 2 computers.

Evga x58 with asus dongle and Asus p5k with targus.

On p5k, with bluetooth wake option greyed out, I can wake my pc with apple wireless keyboard both Lion or Mountain Lion dp3 with update.

And after restart it keeps working.

On Evga x58, Lion 10.7.4 where wake option greyed out, I can't wake my pc,and also after restart keyboard does'nt work until os starts.

And if I want to choose hard disk on boot menu, I have to remove dongle and put it back again or have to plug out my pc and plug in again.

but mountain lion dp3 with update where wake option is available and I can wake my pc, and after restart I can use keyboard to choose hard disks.

On evga I don't have perfect dsdt. so when I shut down my pc , power led is still on. and also usb relate codes in dsdt are different between those two boards.

I think if you have good dsdt fix on your pc then even without bluetooth wake option, you can wake your pc with wireless keyboard or mouse.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought that v4.0 DeLock from that Ebay seller ... I made the edits in Kext ... really works 100% ... but ... every time I start the system, it shows me over 70 (!!) bluetooth devices in the system preferences panel, JESUS!!! ... with this, the bluetooth menu bar is slow and my wireless keyboard keeps crashing ... I had to stop using this dongle ...