Apple Magic Mouse OSX86 - external bluetooth dongle

Dannydeman

453 posts in this topic

maxos, DBT120 can be updated from OSX - you will need to go back to Leopard (maybe even tiger, it was a while ago) - i definitely recall doing this before moving to the Targus sticks

Well i got it working now thanks to linux.

Procedure:

1. Download Ubuntu and put it on a usb stick.

2. Boot from it in live mode.

3. Backup the firmware on the bt dongle:

Open a terminal and type: sudo dfutool -d hci0 archive backup.dfu (this will save the file in your home directory), then it will say something like:

Available devices with DFU support:

1) Bus 008 Device 004: ID 0a12:0001 Interface 2

Press 1.

4. Upgrade the firmware:

In terminal type: sudo dfutool -d hci0 upgrade

Press space and drag the .dfu file to terminal

It will be something like this:

sudo dfutool -d hci0 upgrade '/home/ubuntu/Desktop/GenericCSR.dfu'

Press Enter.

When it shows

Available devices with DFU support:

1) Bus 008 Device 004: ID 0a12:0001 Interface 2

Choose 1.

It will show something like this:

Filename GenericCSR.dfu

Filesize 994866

Checksum 65085dde (valid)

It should show a message when it is done upgrading the firmware.

Just reboot and boot into ubuntu again to pair your keyboard or mouse there. After i rebooted i noticed the keyboard was not working in bios so i tried to boot into windows and installed hid2hci tray.

It did show bluetooth is working but i could not tick ''Allow bluetooth devices to find this computer'' cause it claimed i dont have the bt dongle connected so i could not make the apple keyboard to show up and pair.

Thats why i went into ubuntu again to see if it would work there and after i paired there windows would allow me to tick ''Allow bluetooth devices to find this computer'' and then also found apple keyboard and it worked in bios too.

I upload the new firmware: GenericCSR.zip, and my backed up firmware. DBT120.zip.

DBT120.zip

GenericCSR.zip

• Like 1

Good to know maxos, I have the same dongle but as my Belkin works fine in the BIOS and Chameleon I never pursued getting it working further.

Did you do this via virtual installs or actual partitions (I can do either)?

I booted ubuntu from a usb stick (live mode) that i made using Unetbootin in windows. What belkin model do you have?

Btw does anyone know if its possible to use the ''del'' key with an apple wiereless keyboard in bios so i can acess the bios settings? fn + delete does not work nor any other 2 key combo i tried.

See my sig for the model of the BT dongle.

I had the same problem as you for accessing the BIOS, no delete key, I solved it with the LMP Bluetooth Keypad

Ok it seems to be the same dongle apple sells on their website, i wanted to buy it several days ago but i read somwhere it would make the bios on a pc to freeze so i decided to not get one. Maybe yours is a different chip or something :)

Oh. In my country they only sell F8T016NE, im not sure this one works in bios, if i knew i would maybe buy one to use as spare in case my dlink dies one day.

Here is (attached) a PDF outlining how to install an Apple Bluetooth module in a PC (hackintosh).

The DC-DC converter I bought on ebay works perfectly.

I hope someone can get some use out of my experience and success of installing an Apple Bluetooth module in a PC.

Everything related to Bluetooth works as it's supposed to. Works just as good as my 2009 iMac with Magic Mouse and small Bluetooth keyboard.

Enjoy.

How_To_Add_an_Apple_Bluetooth_module_to_your_PC.pdf

Here is (attached) a PDF outlining how to install an Apple Bluetooth module in a PC (hackintosh).

I hope someone can get some use out of my experience and success of installing an Apple Bluetooth module in a PC.

Everything related to Bluetooth works as it's supposed to. Works just as good as my 2009 iMac with Magic Mouse and small Bluetooth keyboard.

Enjoy.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to write this ! Downloading now !

Just ordering the parts now ! Found UK seller of BT module and shipping that converter over from US.

I love this sort of stuff !!!!

P.S. Someone has done something similar over on TonyMac using a RocketFish USB hub and taking the power from the PCB inside that.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to write this ! Downloading now !

Just ordering the parts now ! Found UK seller of BT module and shipping that converter over from US.

I love this sort of stuff !!!!

P.S. Someone has done something similar over on TonyMac using a RocketFish USB hub and taking the power from the PCB inside that.

I have a USB hub as well (non powered) but the ports still run around 5v still too high for the BT module. That's why I was searching for a DC-DC converter like I finally found on ebay (see link in my attached directions in my how to post above).

I have a USB hub as well (non powered) but the ports still run around 5v still too high for the BT module. That's why I was searching for a DC-DC converter like I finally found on ebay (see link in my attached directions in my how to post above).

Bluetooth chip and antenna has arrived - £5 from eBay and now just waiting on the voltage converter from US to get over the pond !

Enjoy.

How_To_Add_an_Apple_Bluetooth_module_to_your_PC.pdf

So now I'm looking for a USB header cable to splice ...

Would this work?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-Internal-10-Pin-...=item3a6474d2ea

And just cut one of the cables to the USB bracket off ? I've seen lots of USB 5 pin cables about but I've got a X58A-UD3R has 10 pin headers so I think I need to cut up a two USB port cable so that it has the 10 pin header on it.

Will the cables going from the header to the bracket have the same wiring?

Swhay, does the Apple module work ok in the BIOS and Chameleon, I forgot to ask?

I can't say it works in the BIOS, I have not tired it. As for Chameleon, it seems to work fine with the RC5 that I am using...

So now I'm looking for a USB header cable to splice ...

Would this work?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-Internal-10-Pin-...=item3a6474d2ea

And just cut one of the cables to the USB bracket off ? I've seen lots of USB 5 pin cables about but I've got a X58A-UD3R has 10 pin headers so I think I need to cut up a two USB port cable so that it has the 10 pin header on it.

Will the cables going from the header to the bracket have the same wiring?

Yes that should work just fine....

as for the 10 pin header, only 9 are used, and you don't need to use both sets of wires, you can pull one of the top sets out (4 wires red, white, green and black). If you look at your motherboard manual, it should show you the pin out of the USB headers. Each USB device only requires 4 wires, power, ground, data+ and data-

Had a few PMs so here is the wiring instructions for diode method.. Thanks to Swhay for his original diagram

Yes the green and yellow wires between the Apple and USB cable do cross over

post-52135-1301531175_thumb.png

Had a few PMs so here is the wiring instructions for diode method.. Thanks to Swhay for his original diagram

Yes the green and yellow wires between the Apple and USB cable do cross over

Hi Kmare, i've followed your instructions using an old macbook white bluetooth module (2007 mid) and its working perfectly. Now i've got only a problem with sleep/wake. Before it worked, but now when he go to sleep also wake up after 3 seconds. Is this resolvable? i have a custom dsdt, maybe something to edit in there?? bye and thanks!

p.s. here's the screenshot

post-449896-1301731690_thumb.png

dsdt.aml.zip

Did you remove any Bluetooth related kexts you might have added?

It might also be worth removing and re-adding all your bluetooth devices if you haven't already.

no, this is my first bluetooth dongle that i connect to, also i have all vanilla kext in S/L/E (apart applehda and atherosL1e kexts), and in E/E efi i've only the kexts in rig (the first one)

Note: i use rip3lan script utility to make sure it goes to sleep after a specified time.

sorry for english. If anyone can help me i've attached my dsdt in case there's something wrong in it! tnx

Note2: this is what i get in system.log when i try to put the computer to sleep:

Apr 2 15:10:34 Mac-Pro-di-Stefano loginwindow[44]: loginwindow SleepWakeCallback WILL sleep

Apr 2 15:10:41 Mac-Pro-di-Stefano loginwindow[44]: loginwindow SleepWakeCallback will power on, Currenttime:4/2/2011 3:10:41.001 PM - Waketime:4/2/2011 3:10:41.000 PM = Deltatime:0.001297951

Apr 2 15:10:41 Mac-Pro-di-Stefano configd[13]: network configuration changed.

Apr 2 15:10:41 Mac-Pro-di-Stefano configd[13]: PMConnection AirPort configd plug-in com.apple.powermanagement.applicationresponse.slowresponse 179 ms

Apr 2 15:10:41 Mac-Pro-di-Stefano configd[13]: PMConnection IPConfiguration com.apple.powermanagement.applicationresponse.slowresponse 180 ms

Apr 2 15:10:41 Mac-Pro-di-Stefano configd[13]: network configuration changed.

Apr 2 15:10:45 Mac-Pro-di-Stefano mDNSResponder[43]: DeregisterInterface: Frequent transitions for interface en0 (192.168.0.3)

Investigating in kernel.log I've found this when the pc goes to sleep:

Apr 2 15:38:27 Mac-Pro-di-Stefano kernel[0]: System Sleep

Apr 2 15:38:31 Mac-Pro-di-Stefano kernel[0]: Wake reason = UHC5

Apr 2 15:38:31 Mac-Pro-di-Stefano kernel[0]: System Wake

Apr 2 15:38:31 Mac-Pro-di-Stefano kernel[0]: USB (EHCI):Port 4 on bus 0xfa connected or disconnected: portSC(0x101803)

Apr 2 15:38:31 Mac-Pro-di-Stefano kernel[0]: The USB device WirelessControllerDevice (Port 2 of Hub at 0x3a000000)

It seems that the system wakes up because the card tells to do it due to disconnect/connect

EDIT: Resolved by modify DSDT in UHC5 section to disable the ability to the bluetooth device to wake up system.Now all works perfectly!

EDIT: The cons is that if i have a mouse bluetooth or keyboard connected i cannot wake up from their, so the issue it's only half resolved.