DSDT fixes for Gigabyte boards

iSoprano

1,908 posts in this topic

I'll have to try it out again.

You said before that OS X would behave strangely when you used it.. What was it doing?

I think I remember Thiagomorales saying that the Quick Boot feature on his EP43-DS3L caused an issue with his Ethernet, but that needs to be confirmed by him.

Edit: Idle sleep �" which is what the official name is �" appears to have a 45 second delay on my Mac Pro (4,1).

Sweet thanks. Appears to be normal behavior then. Others have reported similar behaviour.

Why is that? Because you need it for the occasional Windows/Linux boot? I mean it should work without EIST enabled in the BIOS. Not to mention that the factory DSDT/SSDT can interfere with your custom DSDT. In fact it will when you don't drop the factory tables (I ran into this myself).

My architectural suite is windows based so yes I do need to maintain windows as well as OSX. I believe Windows requires EIST to be enabled for speedstepping to work - therefore I just leave EIST enabled and currently use dropSSDT=yes in apple.plist.

My reply to Swavek didn't intend to link EIST with vanilla speedstepping in OSX but was more of a statement of surprise as to why enabling EIST broke idle sleep for him - I have EIST enabled in BIOS and sleep appears to be working fine (since we've established the idle sleep delay appears to be normal).

I'll edit my previous post.

FYI to all. It seems Apple has released a Bonjour update that seems to have updated the ionetworking kext. I think we may be able to drop the realtek1000SL kext. Still testing myself.

kdawg,

It appears that I still need the RealtekSL kext. When I remove it and just use the stock kext I do not get an IPv6 address.

Regards,

SMF

I removed these scopes in Device (LPCB):

Scope (\)
{
   Method (SLDM, 2, NotSerialized)
   {
   }
}

Scope (\)
{
   OperationRegion (SCPP, SystemIO, 0xB2, One)
   Field (SCPP, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
   {
       SMIP,   8
   }
}

After that I get a kernel panic. Any idea how can I solve this problem ? These scopes have any caller code?

My dsdt: http://bit.ly/5OhwSf

I would be grateful for any help. Thanks!

Does anyone know of an option/arguement that can be passed to iASLMe (compiler/decompiler) so that it doesn't add so many unnecessary line breaks?

Maybe there is a sed script out there to do a nice cleanup job on *dsl's?

I've been using BBEdit's grep search and regular expressions to remove unwanted formatting. Invisible spaces count.

Removes all preceding whitespace before a {

Search:

\r[ \t]+ {\s+

Replace:

{

Removes all whitespace before and after a comma

Search:

,\r\s*|,\s*//.*\r\s*|,\s*\r*

Replace:

Removes all /* */ comments

Search:

\s*//*.+/*/\s+

Replace:

...with nothing

Removes all preceding line breaks before a }

Search:

\s*\r(\s*)}\s*,

Replace:

},\r\1

I've been playing around with these and they're not perfect. A real regular expression wizard I'm sure could clean them up. What you'll end up with are DSDT files that vaguely resemble he formatting similar to the ones in my signature. For those who don't know what regular expressions are.

No offense but, WTF are coolzies :hysterical:

None taken, :P , google it or check the Urb Dict

the plural is simply more powerful than the singular, though of course they don't point that out ...

Seriously snackole, I notice that you have only a single kext in /E/E. That is, well, cool. I guess it is something to shoot for.

=================

After some more careful reading of several threads/posts, including:

Thanks to contributors. This has been a lot of work & learning, but really a lot of fun. (after 4 years of modding NAS devices & hacking Linux and UBoot Bootloader, I thought I knew a good bit, but this opened a new set of doors)

I now have the following working via my dsdt.aml ( waldo's dsdt.dsl download link ):

• onboard gigabit ethernet
  • GFX: MSI GeForce/nVidia 8400 GS
  • CMOS Reset Patch
  • ALC888 HDEF
  • SpeedStep (w/ temp drop from 39C to 32C)
  • EHCI & UHCI Builtin (no more problems w/ USB storage unmounting at sleep)
  • Auto/Idle Sleep, Power Button Sleep
  • Wake by either USB1.1 or USB2.0 device, Wake-by-ethernet

Sleep and wake in general work very well and with all my USB stuff.

This takes me down to 4 kexts.

• IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext
  • LegacyHDA.kext
  • fakesmc.kext
  • OpenHaltRestart.kext

No more SleepEnable.kext. I'm hoping I can get rid of the 4th one on the list above in a week or two.

None taken, :hysterical: , google it or check the Urb Dict

the plural is simply more powerful than the singular, though of course they don't point that out ...

Seriously snackole, I notice that you have only a single kext in /E/E. That is, well, cool. I guess it is something to shoot for.

=================

After some more careful reading of several threads/posts, including:

Thanks to contributors. This has been a lot of work & learning, but really a lot of fun. (after 4 years of modding NAS devices & hacking Linux and UBoot Bootloader, I thought I knew a good bit, but this opened a new set of doors)

I now have the following working via my dsdt.aml ( waldo's dsdt.dsl download link ):

• onboard gigabit ethernet
  • GFX: MSI GeForce/nVidia 8400 GS
  • CMOS Reset Patch
  • ALC888 HDEF
  • SpeedStep (w/ temp drop from 39C to 32C)
  • EHCI & UHCI Builtin (no more problems w/ USB storage unmounting at sleep)
  • Auto/Idle Sleep, Power Button Sleep
  • Wake by either USB1.1 or USB2.0 device, Wake-by-ethernet

Sleep and wake in general work very well and with all my USB stuff.

This takes me down to 4 kexts.

• IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext
  • LegacyHDA.kext
  • fakesmc.kext
  • OpenHaltRestart.kext

No more SleepEnable.kext. I'm hoping I can get rid of the 4th one on the list above in a week or two.

You could if you wanted get rid of three of those.

Change/add this device id to your SATA device to get rid of IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector. I myself have reservations about this patch other people swear by it.

Device (ESB1) { //<--Renamed from IDE1
				 Name (_ADR, 0x001F0002)
				 Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized) {
					 Store (Package (0x02){
							 "device-id", Buffer (0x04){0x81, 0x26, 0x00, 0x00}
						 }, Local0)
					 DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
					 Return (Local0)
				 }
			 }

Use this Asere's bootloader to get rid of OpenHaltRestart.

Try this HDEF patche to get reasonably good working audio meaning a few sound assertion errors at boot. Your results may vary. This will get rid of LegacyHDA. I personally use USB audio.

Store (Package (0x0A) {
		   "codec-id"		  ,Buffer (0x04){0x89, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10}, 
		   "layout-id"		 ,Buffer (0x04){0x42, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00}, // <--Layout #66
		   "device-type"	   ,Buffer (0x10){"Realtek ALC889a"},
		   "PinConfigurations" ,Buffer (0x01){0x00}
	   }, Local0)
   Return (Local0)
  }

I know one person who claims to not need fakesmc. However he will not divulge his technique.

You could if you wanted get rid of three of those.

I know one person who claims to not need fakesmc. However he will not divulge his technique.

Thanks kdawg, you da bomb.

I'll try them out next weekend ... or maybe sooner...

--------------

Anyone know how to get this Shutdown Restart Sleep Cancel dialog box to come up when the Power Button is pressed (instead of plain sleeping immediately)?

shutdown-sleep-restart-cancel.jpg

Scope (_SB)
{
	Device (PWRB)
	{
		Name (_CID, EisaId ("PNP0C0C"))
		Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)
		{
			Return (0x0B)
		}
	}

Is what I currently have for PWRB, and this seem to correspond to the suggestion for getting sleep w/ the PowerButton, but I can't find anything regarding the Shutdown Menu.

Hello,

After a lot of reading I am still having a little trouble. I would like to be able to remove Disabler.kext and also I cannot get my system to sleep, monitor shuts off, hard drives, but system stays on.

Without Disabler.kext I get kernel panic soon as apple power management loads

I dumped a fresh dsdt from Ubuntu yesterday and have added patches. Audio, Nvidia, SATA internal, USB....

Could someone please help me out and let me know what I am missing here. I have attached my DSDT...

Thanks

Q9400

EP45-UD3P

Nvidia 8800 GTS

Also wondering if it is necessary to fake id's for usb with my board ?

Sull_s_DSDT.zip

Without Disabler.kext I get kernel panic soon as apple power management loads

You need to patch Device HPET in order to remove Disabler kext.

Use my dsdt in my sig to compare to yours, we have the same board.

Its a culmination of lots of work by many members, you should be able to work through it.

This may be a dumb question:

I am now a happy owner of a q9550 quadcore cpu :P Luckily, mm67 uses the same CPU and i used his P-State and C-State Values. P-State Switching does work fine as i can see in CPU-i (nice program). How can i verify in which c-state the CPU is? Or even, if c-states are used at all?

Thanks!

This may be a dumb question:

I am now a happy owner of a q9550 quadcore cpu :P Luckily, mm67 uses the same CPU and i used his P-State and C-State Values. P-State Switching does work fine as i can see in CPU-i (nice program). How can i verify in which c-state the CPU is? Or even, if c-states are used at all?

Thanks!

Use mark-i, gives you a better picture. If c-states are working you may see lower voltages. This post is helpful mark-i

P.S. Stop all Bluetooth devices and test. Good Luck.

You said before that OS X would behave strangely when you used it.. What was it doing?

I think I remember Thiagomorales saying that the Quick Boot feature on his EP43-DS3L caused an issue with his Ethernet, but that needs to be confirmed by him.

OK I tried out the "Quick Boot" feature in BIOS and I get a "Unable to fins SMBIOS table" in the bootloader check during boot. Then during startup I get all sorts of UUID errors. I'm currently using Asere's Bootloader. When it boots I can't get any profile information in the "About this mac" of system profiler.

Anyone have any ideas?

I would like to add SMBUS, but I have no luck.

lspci output:

smbus.jpg

I replaced PX43 with:

Device (SBUS) //<-- Renamed from PX43
{
   Name (_ADR, 0x001F0003)
       Store (Package (0x04){
               "name", "pci8086,3a30", "device-id", Buffer (0x04){0x30, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00}
           }, Local0)
       Return (Local0)
   }
   Device (BUS0) {
       Name (_CID, "smbus")
       Name (_ADR, Zero)
       Device (DVL0) {
           Name (_ADR, 0x57)
           Name (_CID, "diagsvault")
       }
   }
}

After that: Kernel panic at boot: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1924024/smbus2.jpg

I would be grateful for any help. Here is my dsdt: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1924024/dsdt.txt

Thank you!

I would like to add SMBUS, but I have no luck.

lspci output:

smbus.jpg

I replaced PX43 with:

{
   Name (_ADR, 0x001F0003)
       Store (Package (0x04){
               "name", "pci8086,3a30", "device-id", Buffer (0x04){0x30, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00}
           }, Local0)
       Return (Local0)
   }
   Device (BUS0) {
       Name (_CID, "smbus")
       Name (_ADR, Zero)
       Device (DVL0) {
           Name (_ADR, 0x57)
           Name (_CID, "diagsvault")
       }
   }
}

After that: Kernel panic at boot: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1924024/smbus2.jpg

I would be grateful for any help. Here is my dsdt: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1924024/dsdt.txt

Thank you!

That snippet looks familiar. Lets see try removing name and bus:

{
   Name (_ADR, 0x001F0003)
       Store (Package (0x02){
               "device-id", Buffer (0x04){0x30, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00}
           }, Local0)
       Return (Local0)
   }
}

OK I tried out the "Quick Boot" feature in BIOS and I get a "Unable to fins SMBIOS table" in the bootloader check during boot. Then during startup I get all sorts of UUID errors. I'm currently using Asere's Bootloader. When it boots I can't get any profile information in the "About this mac" of system profiler.

Anyone have any ideas?

That bios version wouldn't happen to be one of those that have blank DMI ? Asere's booter probably isn't happy if that is the case, on my system such beta bios also kills Windows 7

That bios version wouldn't happen to be one of those that have blank DMI ? Asere's booter probably isn't happy if that is the case, on my system such beta bios also kills Windows 7
I'm not sure. There are users that are able to use it however. For some reason my system is sometimes slow to reboot sometimes faster. It's very strange, memory checking and ACPI detection are unpredictable as far as how long it take to reboot. I was trying to implement "Quick Boot" to see if I could bypass all those startup checks.

Another OT. How long does it take people for "Waiting for DSMOS" to finish? Sometime mine take 2-3 seconds. I read this could possible be a permissions thing.

I'm not sure. There are users that are able to use it however. For some reason my system is sometimes slow to reboot sometimes faster. It's very strange, memory checking and ACPI detection are unpredictable as far as how long it take to reboot. I was trying to implement "Quick Boot" to see if I could bypass all those startup checks.

I have quick boot option enabled, BIOS ver.F12e (beta) and no issues, also with Asere's boot file. Boot is bit faster 1 maybe 2 sec but I wouldn't waste to much time to make it work, AHCI 1.20 speeds up boot process much more for example..

I have quick boot option enabled, BIOS ver.F12e (beta) and no issues, also with Asere's boot file. Boot is bit faster 1 maybe 2 sec but I wouldn't waste to much time to make it work, AHCI 1.20 speeds up boot process much more for example..
Great something else for me to chase down.

FYI to all. It seems Apple has released a Bonjour update that seems to have updated the ionetworking kext. I think we may be able to drop the realtek1000SL kext. Still testing myself.

I can confirm that I am running full duplex 1Gb ethernet with jumbo frame support etc

out of the box without Realtek1000SL on a gigabyte ex58-ud5

working just like an apple card ;)

Bonjour is also working out of the box

Only using FakeSMC

steve

I can confirm that I am running full duplex 1Gb ethernet with jumbo frame support etc

out of the box without Realtek1000SL on a gigabyte ex58-ud5

working just like an apple card ;)

Bonjour is also working out of the box

Is that using onboard NIC with the kernel in 64-bit mode?

Is that using onboard NIC with the kernel in 64-bit mode?

Yes, 64 bit

Sorry, couldn't resist :P

I wanted to spend some dosh after christmas so I bought one of these

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB977G/A...mco=MTA4NzI5Mjk

Type: Ethernet Controller

Driver Installed: Yes

Bus: PCI

Slot: Slot-2

Vendor ID: 0x8086

Device ID: 0x10f6

Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x8086

Subsystem ID: 0x0000