DSDT fixes for Gigabyte boards

iSoprano

1,909 posts in this topic

FYI to all. It seems Apple has released a Bonjour update that seems to have updated the ionetworking kext. I think we may be able to drop the realtek1000SL kext. Still testing myself.

In my IORegistery, when I check for speedstep I see "CState Override True". This happens only when I use MB3,1 profile, otherwise, it is zero!

A while back I was able to replicate something similar to this - I changed all references to Macpro2,1 to 3,1 in ACPI-SMC-PlatformPlugin.kext (or was it 4,1 to 3,1 anyway one of the two). This was before I used smbios to inject macpro3,1. I ended up with CState Overide Boolean=true.

This maybe because you're using a laptop model identifier, maybe someone with a mac laptop could confirm this, what do you have as CState info?

Have you a vanilla acpismc plist? If not then I would restore the original and use smbios for injection.

Other question is related to getting CStates to work, we started playing with CFG values at the begining, now that I look at minimalist DSDTs, and the fact that none of them has any reference to CFG I wonder how you are able to get CStates working. Does that mean all the work in interpretation of CFG did not really matter, except for learning experience?

There are many i believe think that they have working c-states but in fact may only have C1 or C2 working at the most. Still a work in progress. When I get some time I want to try re-writing my whole ssdt dump (including CFGD )and trying it out to see if I can get all cstates working.

Have a good read through this handy post that was referenced by another user here.

And could you please tell me if you still use dropSSDT=yes flag or that is not anymore needed.

If not if I understand it correctly, then the SSDT tables will be loaded, does than mean OSX will ignor them because of additions for pstate and cstates that we are adding to DSDT!

Currently I'm using dropssdt=yes and noticing no difference than if I wasn't using it.

FYI to all. It seems Apple has released a Bonjour update that seems to have updated the ionetworking kext. I think we may be able to drop the realtek1000SL kext. Still testing myself.

Cool, I'll watch this space. Currently I'm using a ifconfig method, not the neatest but at least it works.

BTW thanks for the OC Bios settings, wanna give that a try someday myself.

New version of pc_efi 10.5 and chameleon RC4 forks

pc_efi 10.5+restartfix+uuidfix+fadt+ecdt+..... (note : cputype auto detection now work) =>

chameleon RC4+restartfix+uuidfix+fadt+ecdt+..... =>

note: for both, random id (the built-in UUID fix) and restart fix, are now by default, to disable those settings:

<key>RandomID</key> 
<string>No</string>

<key>RestartFix</key> 
<string>No</string>

have fun :)

A while back I was able to replicate something similar to this - I changed all references to Macpro2,1 to 3,1 in ACPI-SMC-PlatformPlugin.kext (or was it 4,1 to 3,1 anyway one of the two). This was before I used smbios to inject macpro3,1. I ended up with CState Overide Boolean=true.

This maybe because you're using a laptop model identifier, maybe someone with a mac laptop could confirm this, what do you have as CState info?

Have you a vanilla acpismc plist? If not then I would restore the original and use smbios for injection.

There are many i believe think that they have working c-states but in fact may only have C1 or C2 working at the most. Still a work in progress. When I get some time I want to try re-writing my whole ssdt dump (including CFGD )and trying it out to see if I can get all cstates working.

Have a good read through this handy post that was referenced by another user here.

Currently I'm using dropssdt=yes and noticing no difference than if I wasn't using it.

Keeza,

Thanks so much for your explanation. As for CState Info I have 0x1240105. And you are right CState override happens with happens with laptop model identifier. As for acpismc, yes I do use vanilla plist.

Many thanks for the link, I going to enjoy reading it.

Regards,

Artimess

Do GigaByte users have a BIOS setting to let it show a custom boot logo (instead of the usual text messages)?

Yes, Gigabyte even offers a program with which you can replace the original boot logo from bios with your own logo.

Great. So what is the maximum image size can you use?

I have never tried that program, but according to programs documentation 640*480, 256 colors BMP file seems to be the only option.

Quick Boot is supposed to bypass memory checking on startup. Very appealing as it would help speed the boot process by at least 3-4 seconds for me. But like I said OS X acts very strange.

For reference, I don't have any issues on my GA-EP45-DS3L using the QuickBoot feature from the latest F11c BIOS update.

I might have figured out the cause of my hard lockups.... CPU-i and VoodooMonitor report CPU having 4 P-states,

Windows has always used 2, same for Linux, and today I dumped SSDT tables and looked over stuff, and I really only do have 2 P-states...

I noticed when my p-states weren't working in OS X previously I wouldn't get the lockups, so I thought I'd check SSDTs

No idea where these OS X utilities pull the P-State infos from :x

Will post in a few days with stability results

Just a quickie (and a little off topic)

For those that have auto sleep working - I want to see if my hack's behaviour is similar to others:

I set my computer to sleep in say 15 minutes.

At 15 minutes the display goes to sleep, but fans are still spinning. About two minutes later fans shut down and sleep cycle seems complete.

So my system sleep doesn't appear to be in sync with display sleep.

Anyone else have this anomaly?

For those that have auto sleep working - I want to see if my hack's behaviour is similar to others:

At 15 minutes the display goes to sleep, but fans are still spinning. About two minutes later fans shut down and sleep cycle seems complete.

Yes, similar delay when display and computer sleep are set same. e.g. 5 minutes.

Yes, also some kind of delay on both MSI and Gigabyte boards.

same here, also if I enable EIST in bios sleep doesnt work at all

??? Most people with vanilla speedstepping will have enabled EIST in BIOS - I do and I have auto sleep "working" and fully functional manual sleep.

Is this normal behaviour for an Apple MacPro i.e. does the macpro have a similar delay on auto sleep?

Edit:

Tested on my imac, there does appear to be a delay between display sleep and full sleep - about 2 minutes.

for gigabyte 600 * 480

for asus : higher 800 * 600

Great. So there is actually plenty room for a new Logo and Revolution (my Chameleon fork) which will reduce your boot time (already five revs down here).

Edit: Idle sleep – which is what the official name is – appears to have a 45 second delay on my Mac Pro (4,1).

Most people with vanilla speedstepping will have enabled EIST in BIOS - I do and I have auto sleep "working" and fully functional manual sleep.

Why is that? Because you need it for the occasional Windows/Linux boot? I mean it should work without EIST enabled in the BIOS. Not to mention that the factory DSDT/SSDT can interfere with your custom DSDT. In fact it will when you don't drop the factory tables (I ran into this myself).

... I have auto sleep "working" and fully functional manual sleep.

sorry, It should be "idle sleep doesn't work at all, manual sleep works"

I've edited post.

.. In fact it will when you don't drop the factory tables (I ran into this myself).

I thought that is the reason for sleep not working on my hack

EDIT:

also it may be because i overclock my system, will check it later at stock speed