[GUIDE] Making a DSDT.aml for Dell XPS M1330, XPS M1530, and XPS M1730

immo

2,030 posts in this topic

Setting Vectorize to true seems to be ignored when using 2.7.2 on my M1530 @ 10.6.6. Using the latest Chameleon.

Edit: The setting seems to be active, but not enabled in the prefpanel.

So I've updated Chameleon to the 747 version. The installer enables Generate P and C states. Is this necessary? I can remember reading these options are not needed for the M1530

The Dell default bios P-states work just fine, and the C-states do not work at all, so you do not need to generate P or C states.

Immo

Does anyone else have an issue with sleep with the adapter plugged in? On my m1530 with the dsdt here with all fixes or a custom dsdt from linux, it always restarts with the keyboard locked up if i try to put it to sleep with the cord plugged in.. does anyone know a solution for this?

Hi, I'd got exactly the same issue on an XPS 1330.

I solved this one by removing the _PSW method under UHC1, UHC3 and UHC4... Be careful as it is the renamed USB method to match the Apple one :D.

The Dell default bios P-states work just fine, and the C-states do not work at all, so you do not need to generate P or C states.

Immo

Thnx ;)

Any idea how to get svideo out working with DSDT? Or do I need rom and driver combo and G-enabler?

i can finally post and i just wanted to say tanks so much you guys... i have a fully functional ( ;) c states :( ) m1330 and its all thanks to you!!! (and macgirl, rip... ;))

i read for weeks, and found out that there isnt a whole ton (still quite a bit) of info about the m1330 with my x3100 chip, (i guess i was looking for a specific tutorial)

i found my dsdt somewhere on here, and it works great, and i was thinking of writing a tutorial for this specific pc... including my kexts, extra folder, and the strong insistence to start with a PURCHASED retail disk ;)

DSDT's are the true answer (so far) and i thank u all for your hard work... stopped using apple's in 2001 ($) and now im back and there better than ever!!

i guess the only thing i need right now is a driver for my brand new (purchased directly before i decided to hack my tosh) wna1100 (netgear 150n), and the first time my pc wakes up from sleep after its been down for a while the screen goes black after it lights up, and i have to close the lid and open it again, and its fine until i restart and let it sleep for a half an hour again... also occasionally when the computer wakes up from sleep the "7" key acts as its stuck, spewing out lots of "7's" but the key is def not stuck...

again... i am deeply honored to be able to thank you for your hard work, i am truely a very satisfied customer.... :D

oh and i just found out the computer does not go to sleep when i close the lid when its pluged in... any idea why? specs on my signature

Hi, I'd got exactly the same issue on an XPS 1330.

I solved this one by removing the _PSW method under UHC1, UHC3 and UHC4... Be careful as it is the renamed USB method to match the Apple one :censored2: .

accidentally asked the same question... i did what you said, but im not sure chameleon is recognizing "-DSDT=/Extra/DSDT2.aml" (saved test dsdt as dsdt2...)

do you know any way to check to see which dsdt is loaded? -v scrolls too fast so i cant see...

-edit ok i remembered that if i use dsdtse and extract my dsdt it will extract the dsdt that is loaded... sure enough its not loading my dsdt2.... anyone know what camand i can use? i really dont want to completely replace my dsdt in case th new one has issues (it compiled with no errors or remarks, 8 optimizations....)

accidentally asked the same question... i did what you said, but im not sure chameleon is recognizing "-DSDT=/Extra/DSDT2.aml" (saved test dsdt as dsdt2...)

do you know any way to check to see which dsdt is loaded? -v scrolls too fast so i cant see...

-edit ok i remembered that if i use dsdtse and extract my dsdt it will extract the dsdt that is loaded... sure enough its not loading my dsdt2.... anyone know what camand i can use? i really dont want to completely replace my dsdt in case th new one has issues (it compiled with no errors or remarks, 8 optimizations....)

From the Chameleon 2 RC5 read me file:

"DSDT=<file>

Use an alternate DSDT.aml file (default path: /DSDT.aml /Extra/DSDT.aml bt(0,0)/Extra/DSDT.aml)."

From the Chameleon 2 RC5 read me file:

"DSDT=<file>

Use an alternate DSDT.aml file (default path: /DSDT.aml /Extra/DSDT.aml bt(0,0)/Extra/DSDT.aml)."

ok, im really dumb, i must have gotten my dsdt's mixed up, the one im convinced is not loading still contains the _PSW method so i must have made a mistake... let me try this one more time...

-edit the _psw metod i noticed was under EHCI not usb... i didnt make a mistake trying to looad from it again right now...

-edit i had to move it out of the extra folder and run the command loading the new dsdt from "/"... still wont sleep when i close the lid when its pluged in, any other ideas?

Hi,

On the "default" DSDT, you must remove _PSW method (the complete method) defined in USB1, USB3 and USB4 (or the name you renamed them, UCHX for me). Do not touch the _PSW method declared inside EHCI ;).

Device (USB1)

{

Name (_ADR, 0x001D0000)

Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)

{

Store (UPRW (Zero, Zero), Local0)

If (LEqual (Local0, 0x03))

{

Return (Package (0x02)

{

0x03,

0x03

})

}

If (LEqual (Local0, One))

{

Return (Package (0x02)

{

0x03,

One

})

}

Return (Package (0x02)

{

0x03,

Zero

})

}

Method (_PSW, 1, NotSerialized) // remove

{ // remove

UPSW (Arg0, Zero) // remove

} // remove

On USB1, USB 3 and USB4.

Hey thanks a lot im gonna try that right now, if it works im going to post my dsdt, cause accompanied with my kext files this thing is working flawlessly (except for the pesky 7 key im not sure what thats about....)

EDIT-

Device (USB1)

{

Name (_ADR, 0x001D0000)

{

{

Return (Package (0x02)

{

0x03,

0x03

})

}

{

Return (Package (0x02)

{

0x03,

One

})

}

Return (Package (0x02)

{

0x03,

Zero

})

}

Device (HUB0)

{

Name (_ADR, Zero)

Device (CH00)

{

Name (_ADR, One)

}

Device (CH01)

{

Name (_ADR, 0x02)

}

}

}

Thats what mine looks loke under all usb... am i soposed to remove "Device (hub0)" as well?

for those of you interested----- the new voodoops2 controller on voodoo's sight allows you to delete the appleAPCIps2Nub.kext and i think it fixed my repetitive 7 key problem... installed on my rig with no kp's

Thats what mine looks loke under all usb... am i soposed to remove "Device (hub0)" as well?

Hi. No, do not remove you "hub" device. However, I'm really surprise, you have no _PSW in your DSDT...

To have a better idea of what happens during your "wake up", go to the command console, type sudo -s, your password and dmesg. For sure, do this after trying to sleep :).

You will have some information here, like "XXX may have provoque a wake up".

Keep us inform :).

P.S.: did you add the PNLF method as explained here in your DSDT ?

i've read something about BIOS Implementation Test Suite (BITS), from this post by kizwan.. i'm not sure if this tool will bring any good regarding P and C-States in XPS' DSDT

something that interest me is that this tool shows my CPU as "Unknown Processor", which restricts the apps feature... i'm using M1330 with T9300..

more info about BITS

http://biosbits.org/

Hi. No, do not remove you "hub" device. However, I'm really surprise, you have no _PSW in your DSDT...

To have a better idea of what happens during your "wake up", go to the command console, type sudo -s, your password and dmesg. For sure, do this after trying to sleep :) .

You will have some information here, like "XXX may have provoque a wake up".

Keep us inform ;) .

P.S.: did you add the PNLF method as explained here in your DSDT ?

Hey i figured out the "7" issue and the occational black screen after wakeup, think it was the old voodoops2 controller....

i changed to a mbp3 in my smbios.plist, plugged the laptop in, shut the lid/ nothing

went to sleep from the menu, computer went to sleep, woke up with a black screen, no keyboard support, unpluged the pc, shut lid, nothing, hard restart, changing back to mbp5,

im gonna shek my dsdt for the pnlf... i dont remember seeing this fix looks like im gonna re read 34 pgs... ;)

here is my dsdt if anyone wants to use it or check it out... its a modified one from a thread (this one i think)... it had every fix ive looked for except the _psw one...

EDIT- I think this is interesting---- i closed my laptop unplugged, went to sleep normally, went outside and smoked a cig. (yes i know bad for you yadda yadda, at least i go outside :D ) came back opened lid, everything worked right... but this is what i see when i run the dmsg command:

0 [Time 1300121557] [Message System Sleep

Wake reason = PBTN LID

System Wake

USB (EHCI):Port 2 on bus 0xfa connected or disconnected: portSC(0x101002)

USB (EHCI):Port 2 on bus 0xfd connected or disconnected: portSC(0x101403)

USB (EHCI):Port 5 on bus 0xfd connected or disconnected: portSC(0x101803)

USB (EHCI):Port 6 on bus 0xfd connected or disconnected: portSC(0x301002)

The USB device Laptop Integrated Webcam (Port 6 of Hub at 0xfd000000) may have caused a wake by being disconnected

BCM5722D (setPowerState:84): Changing power state from 0 to 1

The USB device 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Mouse (Port 2 of Hub at 0x1d000000) may have caused a wake by being disconnected

The USB device Biometric Coprocessor (Port 1 of Hub at 0x5d000000) may have caused a wake by being disconnected

The USB device BCM2045B2 (Port 2 of Hub at 0x1a000000) may have caused a wake by being disconnected

BCM5722D (resetAdapter:144): 4B657654 to B49A89AB in 0 iterations

BCM5722D (setMedium:471): Change medium: kIOMediumEthernetAuto

BCM5722D (setMedium:496): Change medium: kLinkDuplexNegotiate

BCM5722D (configureLinkAdvertisement:364): advertiseFe: 5E1

BCM5722D (configureLinkAdvertisement:365): advertiseGe: 0

BCM5722D (startAutoNegotiation:522): Adv reg: 5E1

ApplePS2Keyboard: Unknown extended scan code: 0xc3

iCal Helper (map: 0x78d6148) triggered DYLD shared region unnest for map: 0x78d6148, region 0x7fff81800000->0x7fff81a00000. While not abnormal for debuggers, this increases system memory footprint until the target exits.

Auth result for: e0:91:f5:61:ae:62 MAC AUTH succeeded

AirPort: Link Up on en0

AirPort: RSN handshake complete on en0

it was not awake when i opened the lid, it def woke up then (all my cd/ volume control lights and everything lit up), its like it woke up from the lid, and then got confused about what woke it up... and i dont have applePS2 installed, is that voodoops2 mimicking applePS2?

-EDIT2- i found the DSDT fix you spoke of and i cant believe i missed it ;) i think i thought it applyed only to the nvidia card... fixed my sleep issue and i have a brightness slider under display... ill include the fixed dsdt here...

i do have two more questions.. should i have more options next to the resolution in my display preffs? all i have is a brightness bar and the resolutions, and gather windows, and detect displays... shouldnt there be refresh rate controls?, and everytime i shutdown or restart the bios does the slow boot thing, sssssooooooo sssssllllllooooowwww... is this a dsdt thing you think?

EDIT3- ok this i think is important for anyone with the same setup as me, i had to mod my DSDT a bit further in the RTC section so my computer would not go through the full bios check everytime it started... this is the original RTC (after irq's were removed...)

Device (RTC)
               {
                   Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0B00"))
                   Name (RT, ResourceTemplate ()
                   {
                       IO (Decode16,
                           0x0070,             // Range Minimum
                           0x0070,             // Range Maximum
                           0x10,               // Alignment
                           0x02,               // Length
                           )
                       IO (Decode16,
                           0x0072,             // Range Minimum
                           0x0072,             // Range Maximum
                           0x02,               // Alignment
                           0x06,               // Length
                           )
                   })

and here is the new one

Device (RTC)
               {
                   Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0B00"))
                   Name (RT, ResourceTemplate ()
                   {
                       IO (Decode16,
                           0x0070,             // Range Minimum
                           0x0070,             // Range Maximum
                           0x10,               // Alignment
                           )
                       IO (Decode16,
                           0x0072,             // Range Minimum
                           0x0072,             // Range Maximum
                           0x02,               // Alignment
                           )
                   })

i had to change the second length to 0x02... im sorry if this has been gone over but i figured if not i helped someone out... im gonna include my dsdt for this too..

i am noticing a "voodootrackpad" warning now though at startup, i checked my console and it said something about being redundant or something like that, i dont see a kext anywhere resembling that do you think it could have been put in my mkext file? i hate deleting it cause ive noticed it hasnt returned in the past (maybe its best if it doesnt????) ill keep looking into this, im using the voodoops2 .98 (pretty sure thats the version) installer (hate installers, looked all over for just the kext) and the voodoops2 prefpane...

i've read something about BIOS Implementation Test Suite (BITS), from this post by kizwan.. i'm not sure if this tool will bring any good regarding P and C-States in XPS' DSDT

something that interest me is that this tool shows my CPU as "Unknown Processor", which restricts the apps feature... i'm using M1330 with T9300..

more info about BITS

http://biosbits.org/

DUDE!!! that looks promising... i wish i knew more about this id dig in... need to learn some code first... its about the only thing im not good at... :/

DSDT.aml.zip

clmshl_DSDT.zip

cmosclmshl_DSDT.zip

i am noticing a "voodootrackpad" warning now though at startup, i checked my console and it said something about being redundant or something like that, i dont see a kext anywhere resembling that do you think it could have been put in my mkext file? i hate deleting it cause ive noticed it hasnt returned in the past (maybe its best if it doesnt????) ill keep looking into this, im using the voodoops2 .98 (pretty sure thats the version) installer (hate installers, looked all over for just the kext) and the voodoops2 prefpane...

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=240639

Hi,

On the "default" DSDT, you must remove _PSW method (the complete method) defined in USB1, USB3 and USB4 (or the name you renamed them, UCHX for me). Do not touch the _PSW method declared inside EHCI :) .

Device (USB1)
		 {
			 Name (_ADR, 0x001D0000)
			 {
				 {
					 Return (Package (0x02)
					 {
						 0x03, 
						 0x03
					 })
				 }
				 {
					 Return (Package (0x02)
					 {
						 0x03, 
						 One
					 })
				 }
				 Return (Package (0x02)
				 {
					 0x03, 
					 Zero
				 })
			 }
			 Method (_PSW, 1, NotSerialized) // remove
			 {				// remove																											 
				 UPSW (Arg0, Zero) // remove
			 }			   // remove

On USB1, USB 3 and USB4.

USB2 and USB5 are to be left as is? Removing the _PSW Method from the USB1, USB3 and USB4 restores sleep functionality. However, upon wake the track pad acts erratically which renders it unusable. I employ Andy Vandijck latest VoodooPS2Controller.kext which removes its dependency on the AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

USB2 and USB5 are to be left as is? Removing the _PSW Method from the USB1, USB3 and USB4 restores sleep functionality. However, upon wake the track pad acts erratically which renders it unusable. I employ Andy Vandijck latest VoodooPS2Controller.kext which removes its dependency on the AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

you have to do it to all the usb's, and yeah im running without the appleacpips2nub.kext...

EDIT... i take that back i removed them all but after reading over twice i could be mistaken...

in bios power management enable USB wake support ( only on AC pluged in) that keeps USB powered with ac in. and stops Most usb disconnected errors.

well the funny thing is it is going to sleep and staying asleep till i wake it up, and all the usb works...

worked great so far thanks man!!! i went from i think 1.0.1 to .98 (trackpad warning) to your link to 1.1.0 and all looks well, loaded a synapsis (sp) trackpad while i was watching it load in verbose mode (like usual im anal... lol) gonna put it to sleep for a few now and see if i get the repetative 7's again (disappeared with .98)

EDIT- SWEET!!!! NO 7'S!!!! NO BLACK SCREEN!!!!!

EDIT2- ok still getting this warning on my console

3/15/11 3:48:53 PM com.apple.launchctl.Background[109] launchctl: Dubious ownership on file (skipping): /Library/LaunchAgents/org.voodoo.trackpad.configurationloader.plist

EDIT3- ok im really stupid... it was obviously a permission thing so i repaired permissions and its good...

hey what do i have to do to get voodoohda pref pane to save my settings, i tied voodookiller, but it didnt work, and i kinda hate programs loading at startup? is there a way i can use apples kexts for sound using the dsdt, and get rid of voodoohda?

also whats the best temp monitor (like the one you very very smart people use)? i know im not running hot im just curious...

Edit- realized once again im dumb... oh and by the way guys, idono if its a fluke but msr tools is working great for me with os10.6.6... i keep reading it doesnt work, but its showing both cores and separate readouts for both processors (speedstep def workin, temp floatin around 40 to 55, woo hoo!!!!)

Edit 1.5 just found voodoo monitor(dont know how i missed it in my readings) you have to add an extra .kext file, but i am lovin the interface, reading much more accurate than coolbook, and more info than msr tools... google VoodooMonitor... you will LOVE it!!!!

Edit 2- ok i figured out that i can save my voodoohda settings after sleep but not after restart/shutdown, i was hoping there would be a dsdt fix so i could use only vanilla audio drivers but i havnt found anything...

also i was wondering if it would be possible to patch the dsdt so i could use the 64bit x3100 drivers from 10.6.2 to boot in 64 bit... as far as ive read it will break my QE, is that correct?

Edit # who knows.... where is eveyone :rolleyes:

ok i have a new question... i have sucsesfully hibernated, and woke up, but it seems to work only from the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] cd... downgraded to chameleon 5 pre 4 something and it would load the hibernate file, then shutdown, unless i closed the lid while it was loading and let it fall directly asleep, then it would wake up... is there a dsdt fix im missing for this?

Edit again- ok hibernate works right, only if i use the gadget to force it to sleep, and set the "pmset" to 0.... wish i any dsdt fix to get mode 3 workin would be great tho....

SWEET EDIT!! playin call of duty 4 right now for mac on my dell hehe... wouldnt ya know the game plays better in osx than it did on windows 7 pro ultimate... unreal im sooooo happy!!! only got up to 62 degrees as far as i could tell as well... im very proud of myself right now hehe

• 2 weeks later...

just updated my m1330 to osx 10.6.7 without a single hitch... all i did was download the basic update from apple (im already at 10.6.6, so y waste the time downloading the combo lol), run time machine, shutdown, turn back on, install update, click shutdown from the apple menu instead of the restart option given by the installer, waited 5 seconds, turned back on, hit -v to watch at the chameleon screen, and presto 10.6.7. pretty sure all is well, but just installed it 5 min ago so ill let u know if i run across any problems...

which dsdt, bootloader, and kexts are you using? does everything work?

dsdt: from the first post (m1330-anyCPU-nvidia)

bootloader: XPC 0.82.5

kexts: pretty much similar to SL's but all of them in /S/L/E

all seems to works just like SL, but shutdown, restart, HDMI, and c-states

dsdt: from the first post (m1330-anyCPU-nvidia)

bootloader: XPC 0.82.5

kexts: pretty much similar to SL's but all of them in /S/L/E

all seems to works just like SL, but shutdown, restart, HDMI, and c-states

{censored} i have the x3100 card... i bet it would still work, and im wonderin if that bootloader will fix my hibernate 0 prob... my comp will hibernate from the dashboard gadget, but will only wake up properly if i have it set hibernate 0... in hibernate 3 mode it wakes up then right before it should go to the desktop it shuts off, unless i close the lid before it wakes up, then it goes directly to ram sleep and then i can open it and it works.. very strange... my workaround is to leave it in hibernate 0 and if i want to deep sleep i use the gadget, but it would be nice if it would work automatically (like last night when i didnt realize the computer was unplugged and it stayed on till it ran out of juice...)oh and i run all kext from s/l/e except fakesmc as well.. i dont like kexts in /e/e cause i dont believe they work right from there all the time....

For anyone interested, here is the latest VoodooSDHC.kext I personally compiled from source.

Note: the most recent changes on its development date back to July of last year. So, I'm assuming it is no longer being actively developed. It works perfectly on my rig, no Kernel Panics.

VoodooSDHC.kext.zip

The team behind VoodooSDHCI is using the subversion software to manage the source code.

Command-Line Source Access:

svn co http://forge.voodooprojects.org/svn/voodoosdhci

Project Home:

http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/voodoosdhci/

I tried a couple of the DSDT patches suggested in the last couple pages.

After I removed the PWR blocks from the USB, my USB keyboard oddly stopped working from my USB hub, but my mouse plugged into the same hub continued to work. Directly plugging the keyboard into the other port worked. I've restarted a few times and repeated the same behavior. Interestingly my sleep has always worked without this patch (with hibernate mode set to 0), although I know some of you have been having problems.

I've also done the RTC patch but have not had the opportunity to test it because I haven't managed to restart my computer successfully since installing it. My restart has never been reliable.

I also installed the new VoodooPS2 kext and it works like a charm. Solves that annoying 77777 issue. I made the mistake of trying to unload the old VoodooPS2 kext and nub while the system was live and it panicked so don't do that :)

Immo