PDF GUIDES: Retail Snow Leopard Install for ASUS P5Q & P5Q-E

Ian T

308 posts in this topic

Hey Ian

It was one of the earlier guides however, I have been reading all of the DSDT stuff on the forums about getting Vanilla speedstep working etc., which really interests me, so I am going to be installing again on a different hard drive (don't want to mess up my current setup) and I will use your new installation method. I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again for all of your hard work, I couldn't have done it without ya.

I feel ike such a noob. I went and allowed the update to 10.6.2 without checking and now I have a KP on startup. Can't boot now to try and fix the issue.

Is there a way to access the Mac OS hard disk from within my Windows 7 (I dual boot this machine)?

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Hey Ian -

The one thing that I haven't tried was using 64 bit by adding

<string>-pci0 -arch=x86_64 -x64</string> to my Boot.plist file.

Is that safe to try and if it doesn't work will I have to reinstall or can I

just boot from the CD and fix it?

Thanks in advance.

D

Some advice:

1. As a matter of precaution, I use two partitions on HDD: MACOS and TEST, and use Carbon Copy to make clone for such experiments. Plus Time Machine backup on separate disk.

2. My first upgrade also caused KP. I found out that I had not removed the following kexts in E/E before upgrade: disable, dsmos, and those in S/L/E: disabler, dsmos, fakesms. I think those were left from previous experiments with Mars and other manuals.

I managed to restore with the following method: loaded MARS boot disk, replaced it with Retail SL, and used "restore from time machine backup". After successful restore removed kexts I mentioned above, and made upgrade.

3. Also you have to remove applehda to get back sound.

Mike

Also, you can load with MARS and RETAIL combination as I described, launch terminal (do not do the install), and use the following command to remove SleepEnabler:

rm -R /Volumes/yourduiskwithSLname/System/Library/Extensions/SleepEnabler.kext

Or, install MacDrive to Win7 and get access to your SL drive. I believe test version will allow to do it.

Mike

Ian,

That disc seems to work but it doesn't seem to let me eject the Boot Disc from the drive once Chameleon has loaded... :o

EDIT: It was just SL locking the drive, ignore me. lol I'm still testing it but I think it's working.

Some advice:

1. As a matter of precaution, I use two partitions on HDD: MACOS and TEST, and use Carbon Copy to make clone for such experiments. Plus Time Machine backup on separate disk.

2. My first upgrade also caused KP. I found out that I had not removed the following kexts in E/E before upgrade: disable, dsmos, and those in S/L/E: disabler, dsmos, fakesms. I think those were left from previous experiments with Mars and other manuals.

I managed to restore with the following method: loaded MARS boot disk, replaced it with Retail SL, and used "restore from time machine backup". After successful restore removed kexts I mentioned above, and made upgrade.

3. Also you have to remove applehda to get back sound.

Mike

Also, you can load with MARS and RETAIL combination as I described, launch terminal (do not do the install), and use the following command to remove SleepEnabler:

rm -R /Volumes/yourduiskwithSLname/System/Library/Extensions/SleepEnabler.kext

Or, install MacDrive to Win7 and get access to your SL drive. I believe test version will allow to do it.

Mike

This is such great advice. I did what you said and created a Carbon Copy on an external drive then booted into that drive and did the upgrade. Everything went fine so then I upgraded my "real" drive. Now the only problem is that all of my documents want to be opened by default with CCC but it was worth it.

Thanks Mike for the great advice.

Ian, it doesn't seem to be loading the DSDT for me, or if it is, it's still crashing...lol

I've recompiled another DSDT without the HDEF addition as that seems to be where it's crashing on me. I'll retest it tomorrow and let you know the results. :D

UPDATED ON NOVEMBER 12, 2009 @ 1:11PM PST

So I've finally finished my P5Q-E guide, and it actually doesn't differ much from the P5Q guide. With that said, the P5Q-E guide is going to be a near identical copy of the original P5Q guide, however changes will be added to both guides; e.g., Table of Contents, better support directory structure, verbose output examples, etc.

Hardware Differences:

ASUS P5Q:

• Marvell 88SE6111 (1 x IDE) - NO SATA PORT
  • Realtek ALC1200 8-Channel High Definition Audio Codec
  • Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 Gigabit LAN Controller

ASUS P5Q-E:

• Marvell 88SE6121 (1 x IDE | 1 x SATA)
  • ADI AD2000B 8-Channel High Definition Audio Codec
  • Marvell 88E8056 & Marvell 88E8001 Gigabit LAN Controller

The other two guides that I will be releasing for both the P5Q and P5Q-E are as follows:

1. Dual Boot - SL 10.6.2 + Windows 7 (Single Drive Configuration)
  2. Dual Boot - SL 10.6.2 + Windows 7 (Dual Drive Configuration)
  3. Dual Boot - SL 10.6.2 + Windows XP SP3 (Single Drive Configuration)
  4. Dual Boot - SL 10.6.2 + Windows XP SP3 (Dual Drive Configuration)

The dual boot guides listed above relies on Chameleon 2.0 RC3-r658 as the boot loader.

I will release all the guides listed above later this week.

I successfully updated the ASUS P5Q-E with 10.6.2 by downloading the update and then manually installing it, as opposed to running Software Update.

USE SOFTWARE UPDATE TO UPDATE TO 10.6.2

VERIFIED TO WORK ON ASUS P5Q ONLY

This is specific to the ASUS P5Q Snow Leopard install of 10.6.1. I was able to install the 10.6.2 Update via Software Update. Prior to updating to 10.6.2, using Software Update, remove dsmos.kext from /Extra/Extensions, /System/Library/Extensions, or /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions. Ensure that you have fakesmc.kext version 2 from Netkas.

Remember, if you have a motherboard that is an ASUS P5Q variant, your mileage may vary. If you encounter kp's, boot with -v -x (verbose + safe mode) to remove the offending kext(s).

Peace,

IanT

Hey Ian,

I was thinking maybe you could add this KEXT to your boot discs to help those without a fixed DSDT (CMOS reset problem).

"ElliottForceLegacyRTC - Fixes CMOS reset if your DSDT is not edited with the RTC fix" from the Stell's Blog.

It'll stop the bios resetting whilst people are installing SL and building their own DSDT?

kup,

Yeah I saw that on Stell's blog... I've been messing with it for 132Mars and 132Jupiter.

On another note, I just verified that smbios.plist is loaded and in use (keywords in use), whilst booting from the Installation DVD. I opened up Apple System Profiler and checked for my custom serial number; amazing enough it was present.

I don't exactly know how to determine if DSDT.AML is being used, regardless if the verbose output shows that it's loaded. I haven't found much info on that anywhere, and will be posting a question on the Chameleon 2.0 General Discussions board over on forum.voodooprojects.org; hopefully zef will be able to give me an answer or heck a way to determine if it's indeed loaded and being used.

I've posted the question on the Chameleon 2.0 General Discussions board over on forum.voodooprojects.org:

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,936.0.html

So, I got a response from a member on the Chameleon 2.0 General Discussions board over on forum.voodooprojects.org: The member said to dump dsdt while booted from 132Mars/132Jupiter, of which booted from an original SL Install DVD, and then compare the size of custom dsdt.aml and the on you've extracted. So, I am reporting that DSDT.aml is loaded by cdboot and is in use whilst booted from the SL Install DVD. I had to do some funny things to get it to work, I had to copy iasl, nano, and xxd to my flash drive, just so I could run getDSDT and then edit and/or look through dsdt.dsl.

As for ElliottForceLegacyRTC.kext, I've added it and have yet to release it. I'll probably release it along with the new/updated PDF guides.

Peace,

IanT

Hey Ian,

I was thinking maybe you could add this KEXT to your boot discs to help those without a fixed DSDT (CMOS reset problem).

"ElliottForceLegacyRTC - Fixes CMOS reset if your DSDT is not edited with the RTC fix" from the Stell's Blog.

It'll stop the bios resetting whilst people are installing SL and building their own DSDT?

Maybe dadi_oh or Ian T can help me resolve my problem:

I've been trying to install the retail 10.6 Snow Leopard on my pc using this guide but during the install process the screen goes black.

The specs of my setup are the following:

Mobo: Asus p5q

cpu: Intel Quad q9400

gpu: Sapphire radeon hd 4870 (1gb)

hdd: 500gb, 1 blank partition hfs+ formatted with gparted

usb kb and mouse, old 19'' crt monitor

NB: Everything worked fine under 10.5 Leopard

So previously, when I tried to install in verbose mode with the earlier boot cd (the one with 10.4 EFI), the install hanged indefinitely at the "acpi_smc_platformplugin timed out ..." line.

With the newer version of the boot cd (with 10.5 EFI from Netkas), during the install in verbose mode it seems to have worked out that problem but, as I said, the screen goes black shortly after.

I tried to install with the "Graphics Mode"="1024x768x32" flag and even with "800x600x32", but it still went black during the install. So I think, it may be a problem with my radeon 4870 not being recognized...

What do you think it is?

I tried to modify the dmg image of the boot cd using my macbook, like dadi_oh said he did, but I haven't figured out how to.

Any suggestion or response would be appreciated as I am considering to go back to 10.5 on my hackintosh.

Thanks in advance.

-Gab

I've been trying to install the retail 10.6 Snow Leopard on my pc using this guide but during the install process the screen goes black.

So previously, when I tried to install in verbose mode with the earlier boot cd (the one with 10.4 EFI), the install hanged indefinitely at the "acpi_smc_platformplugin timed out ..." line.

With the newer version of the boot cd (with 10.5 EFI from Netkas), during the install in verbose mode it seems to have worked out that problem but, as I said, the screen goes black shortly after.

I tried to install with the "Graphics Mode"="1024x768x32" flag and even with "800x600x32", but it still went black during the install. So I think, it may be a problem with my radeon 4870 not being recognized...

What do you think it is?

I tried to modify the dmg image of the boot cd using my macbook, like dadi_oh said he did, but I haven't figured out how to.

Any suggestion or response would be appreciated as I am considering to go back to 10.5 on my hackintosh.

Thanks in advance.

-Gab

GabLegault,

Are you sure you're using the GraphicsEnabler option in com.apple.Boot.plist?

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>yes</string>

If, it still doesn't work, visit Netkas' blog, and use the beta booter along with the kext that's been provided.

Peace,

IanT

What do you think it is?

Thanks in advance.

-Gab

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the massive amount of work you have put into your excellent guide!

I hope you can give me some ideas to cure my problem.

I have my p5ql pro (almost) working properly with snow retail using your 132 Jupiter purple.

Initially it wouldn't boot from hdd (hung on acpi) but after making a new dsdt.aml using dsdtPatcher it boots fine.

The problem I have seems to be somthing to do with the PCI bus. I tried various network cards but none installed properly. Turning the onboard eithernet chip gives the same result. Profiler says no eithernet cards present and in graphics/displays it gives chipset unknown on my nvidia 9xx.

In osx86tools, view PCI devices I get an Applescript error when it runs lspci. It's the same when I try to enable QuartzGL.

Any bright ideas?

Thanks in advance

Tony

UPDATED ON NOVEMBER 15, 2009 @ 11:32PM PST

.:Latest Info:.

1. I am still in the midst of finalizing the new dual-boot guides, so please be patient while I add the final touches.
  2. I will release the updated 132Mars and 132Jupiter boot discs tomorrow; please note that dsmos.kext has been removed.
  3. I have updated the ASUS P5Q Guide, and have finally released the ASUS P5Q-E Guide; see below for details!

Updated ASUS P5Q Guide by IanT - 20091115, which is available here 9.87MB:

http://www.mediafire.com/?iige50xduig

New ASUS P5Q-E Guide by IanT - 20091115-2, which is available here 9.87MB:

http://www.mediafire.com/?5mgomji3yyh

Revision History for ASUS P5Q Guide by IanT - 20091115:

November 15, 2009

• Added Table of Contents
  • Removed outdated InsanelyMac link from Disclaimer
  • Updated Appendix B; replaced digital pictures with screen captures
  • Updated Appendix D
  • Updated list of kexts included in 132Mars, 132Jupiter, and Marsbooter Shell Script

1. AHCIPortInjector.kext (with ICH10 D/D0 and ICH10R device-ids added by IanT)

2. AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

3. AppleVIATA.kext (with Marvell 88SE6111 and 88SE6145 support)

4. ElliottForceLegacyRTC.kext

5. fakesmc.kext (version 2)

6. IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

7. NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

8. OpenHaltRestart.kext

9. PlatformUUID.kext

10. VoodooPS2Controller.kext

Revision History for ASUS P5Q-E Guide by IanT - 20091115-2:

November 15, 2009

• Update/Flash BIOS (found and corrected filename and version of ASUS P5Q-E ROM)
  • Updated hardware configuration information
  • Updated Appendix D
  • Updated list of kexts included in 132Mars, 132Jupiter, and Marsbooter Shell Script

2. AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

8. OpenHaltRestart.kext

9. PlatformUUID.kext

10. skge.kext (with Marvell 88E8001 support)

11. VoodooPS2Controller.kext

tonyho,

The ASUS P5QL PRO uses an Atheros based Gigabit PCI-E Controller.

Download AttansicL1eEthernet.kext from here:

http://stellarola.tumblr.com/post/165429070/prepare-yourself

Copy it into /Systems/Library/Extensions

Open up Terminal:

cd /System/Library/Extensions
sudo chown -R root:wheel AttansicL1eEthernet.kext
sudo kextload -v AttansicL1eEthernet.kext

I don't guarantee that this will work -- I instead opted to disable the on-board LAN port and instead dropped in a Realtek RTL8169S gigabit ethernet pci adapter, because it is natively supported under SL.

Also, make sure you are using Netkas' PC EFI v10.5 to alleviate any issues, with regards to Graphics... My GeForce GTS 250 SC isn't correctly identified under Apple System Profiler, it's listed as a generic card, but it makes no difference. You can search google or thru the forums here, and find a better solution so that it shows/says the correct name of the installed graphics card (if that matters a lot to you). To me, it's just aesthetics, if it works, cool -- why worry about what it says...?

And remember, google is your friend!

Peace,

IanT

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the massive amount of work you have put into your excellent guide!

I hope you can give me some ideas to cure my problem.

I have my p5ql pro (almost) working properly with snow retail using your 132 Jupiter purple.

Initially it wouldn't boot from hdd (hung on acpi) but after making a new dsdt.aml using dsdtPatcher it boots fine.

The problem I have seems to be somthing to do with the PCI bus. I tried various network cards but none installed properly. Turning the onboard eithernet chip gives the same result. Profiler says no eithernet cards present and in graphics/displays it gives chipset unknown on my nvidia 9xx.

In osx86tools, view PCI devices I get an Applescript error when it runs lspci. It's the same when I try to enable QuartzGL.

Any bright ideas?

Thanks in advance

Tony

Thanks Ian,

I had already tried that kext for the onboard network chip and I'm pretty sure I'm using Netkas' PC EFI v10.5 as I installed using your disk. I have tried a Realtek card but it didn't appear in Profiler as with my graphics card. That's why I thought the problem was with the PCI bus.

I'm also not bothered about the aesthetics, but I don't think I'm getting any hardware acceleration. I have installed NVinject and now profiler identifies it correctly but still no mention of hardware acceleration.

Thanks for your suggestions

Tony

UPDATED ON NOVEMBER 15, 2009 @ 11:26PM PST

.:Latest Info:.

1. Found and corrected the filename and version for ASUS P5Q-E ROM by Juzzi.

New ASUS P5Q-E Guide by IanT - 20091115-2, which is available here 9.87MB:

http://www.mediafire.com/?5mgomji3yyh

Revision History for ASUS P5Q-E Guide by IanT - 20091115-2:

November 15, 2009

• Update/Flash BIOS (found and corrected filename and version of ASUS P5Q-E ROM)
  • Updated hardware configuration information
  • Updated Appendix D

2. AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

8. OpenHaltRestart.kext

9. PlatformUUID.kext

10. skge.kext (with Marvell 88E8001 support)

11. VoodooPS2Controller.kext

Hi Guys,

I want to try and give Snow Leopard a go with these specs:

ASUS P5Q-PRO Motherboard

Intel Dual Core E5300 CPU @ 2.6GHz

2x Sata HDD's (300gb and 160gb)

2x IDE DVD Burners

4GB of RAM (2 x 2gb sticks @ 400mhz)

2x ATI Radeon 4550 cards (PCIe)

3x 19" widescreen monitors (2 connected to DVI and one to VGA)

I've never been able to install leopard due to my graphics cards, but now that netkas has released support I am considering giving it a go.

Can anyone tell me what sort of problems I may encounter with these specifications and also I'm not quite sure what to do with the netkas support kit for ATI. I don't know where to put the files etc...

And one last thing, I'd really like to install to an external HDD is this possible (considering you have to change the bios setttings)? If it's not possible I can find a way to install it to an internal drive, of course that is if my system is compatible.

Andy4life,

The ATI Radeon 4550 graphics card is supported using Netkas' beta booter file. However, I don't know to what extent it supports the 4550 (i.e., dual graphics card support).

As far as I understand, all you need is the beta booter file, and install Chameleon 2.0 RC3-r658 onto the SL partition.

The guide I have here (ASUS P5Q), lists a method of install Chameleon 2.0 RC3-r658 and Netkas' PC EFI v10.5 (of which you need to replace with the beta booter file) using the marsbooter installation shell script.

After installing Chameleon 2.0 RC3-r658 manually or through my marsbooter installation shell script, you need to ensure that 'GraphicsEnabler' is an option in com.apple.Boot.plist.

The beta booter file I refer to is the file named "boot"; this file is copied to the root of the SL install.

Problems you might encounter are:

1. No audio (you must install a kext that supports the on-board audio codec; e.g., VoodooHDA.kext)
  2. There is a chance you may encounter a kernel panic
  3. Dual ATI HD Radeon 4550 Graphics might not be supported using Netkas' beta booter file
  4. The boot disc you use, whether it's 132Mars, 132Jupiter, or another variant, needs to have IDE support via AppleVIAATA.kext (with Marvell 88SE6111 support)

Note: 132Mars and 132Jupiter has untested Marvell 88SE6111 support (I don't have an IDE DVD Writer to test with)

Not exactly sure what you're trying to achieve in installing SL onto an external hard drive. I mean, sure, you can install it onto an eSATA hard drive (enclosure), plugged into one of the ICH10R SATA ports. As for BIOS settings, yes you have to change options to ensure that SL will boot and not kp. Some of these options can/may affect Linux or Windows installs (especially since SATA is set to Enhanced/AHCI).

Hope this helps...

Peace,

IanT

Hi Guys,

I want to try and give Snow Leopard a go with these specs:

ASUS P5Q-PRO Motherboard

Intel Dual Core E5300 CPU @ 2.6GHz

2x Sata HDD's (300gb and 160gb)

2x IDE DVD Burners

4GB of RAM (2 x 2gb sticks @ 400mhz)

2x ATI Radeon 4550 cards (PCIe)

3x 19" widescreen monitors (2 connected to DVI and one to VGA)

I've never been able to install leopard due to my graphics cards, but now that netkas has released support I am considering giving it a go.

Can anyone tell me what sort of problems I may encounter with these specifications and also I'm not quite sure what to do with the netkas support kit for ATI. I don't know where to put the files etc...

And one last thing, I'd really like to install to an external HDD is this possible (considering you have to change the bios setttings)? If it's not possible I can find a way to install it to an internal drive, of course that is if my system is compatible.

deadpxl,

I honestly haven't encountered a kp such as this... I've had dual hard configs (1xSL, 1xWin7), and never had an issue...

You'll probably have to search around... and yeah, it looks like an ntfs issue

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Peace,

IanT

hi! anyone of you familiar with this KP? it occurs when shutting down, sometimes it appear and sometimes wont.

looks like ntfs issue since i have other disk with windows installed. thanks!

post-384072-1258412157_thumb.jpg

Andy4life,

The ATI Radeon 4550 graphics card is supported using Netkas' beta booter file. However, I don't know to what extent it supports the 4550 (i.e., dual graphics card support).

As far as I understand, all you need is the beta booter file, and install Chameleon 2.0 RC3-r658 onto the SL partition.

The guide I have here (ASUS P5Q), lists a method of install Chameleon 2.0 RC3-r658 and Netkas' PC EFI v10.5 (of which you need to replace with the beta booter file) using the marsbooter installation shell script.

After installing Chameleon 2.0 RC3-r658 manually or through my marsbooter installation shell script, you need to ensure that 'GraphicsEnabler' is an option in com.apple.Boot.plist.

The beta booter file I refer to is the file named "boot"; this file is copied to the root of the SL install.

Problems you might encounter are:

1. No audio (you must install a kext that supports the on-board audio codec; e.g., VoodooHDA.kext)
  2. There is a chance you may encounter a kernel panic
  3. Dual ATI HD Radeon 4550 Graphics might not be supported using Netkas' beta booter file
  4. The boot disc you use, whether it's 132Mars, 132Jupiter, or another variant, needs to have IDE support via AppleVIAATA.kext (with Marvell 88SE6111 support)

Note: 132Mars and 132Jupiter has untested Marvell 88SE6111 support (I don't have an IDE DVD Writer to test with)

Not exactly sure what you're trying to achieve in installing SL onto an external hard drive. I mean, sure, you can install it onto an eSATA hard drive (enclosure), plugged into one of the ICH10R SATA ports. As for BIOS settings, yes you have to change options to ensure that SL will boot and not kp. Some of these options can/may affect Linux or Windows installs (especially since SATA is set to Enhanced/AHCI).

Hope this helps...

Peace,

IanT

Thanks for your reply Ian T!

The reason I want to install it to a USB drive (eSATA), is because internally I have 4 drives:

2 HDDs (SATA)

2 DVD Writers (IDE)

I actually have no more power leads lol!

On the first sata drive I have windows 7 on the second I have a bunch of documents. If it came down to it I could probably take the second out and make that an external drive and then put SL on the other drive and make that one internal.

As far as bios settings go and Marvell, I've followed your Appendix A guide from the PDF, but left the Marvell settings on. The CD won't boot, it doesn't even get read, it's kind of strange. At first I thought maybe my drives were acting up so I threw in an old Leopard distro and that booted, then I put in a Windows XP cd which also booted.

Alternatively, I extracted the 132MARS iso image (which is what I'm using by the way) to a flash drive and attempted to boot off that - it did work, however as long as I had the eSATA drive connected I got a "Memory Allocation Error"... So then I further experimented, first I unplugged the eSATA drive and just let it boot off the flash drive, Chameleon loaded successfully and detected my Win 7 install etc...

Then I opened my case and replaced one of the SATA drives with the eSATA drive, and booted off the flash disk... this also worked and the drive was successfully detected in Chameleon.

So all in all, I'm confused as to why the CD is not being read. I tested it on various laptops to see if I burnt it incorrectly however it booted on those laptops I tested.

So any thoughts lol?

Also thank you for explaining the Netkas graphic package procedure, I was super confused about that one!

Hi Ian - Awesome guide...one of the best i found for P5Q. I have on-board NIC (Attansic), Audio and Graphics working great. I can shutdown/restart no issues..Sleep does not work right..I used your old Mars bootcd and support package. I upgraded to 10.6.2 with new sleepenabler from nektas..

Why do i need the new package which generates dsdt.aml and smbios.plist...How will adding both of this will help me?

Can i use the dsdt.aml and smbios.plist that will be bundled for my P5Q?