PDF GUIDES: Retail Snow Leopard Install for ASUS P5Q & P5Q-E

Ian T

308 posts in this topic

kup,

As you know, the kexts used in Leopard aren't compatible with Snow Leopard.

If you are using one drive with a Leopard partition and a Snow Leopard partition, you have to use /Extra/10.5, /Extra/10.6 and /Extra/Common.

So, even if you used the kernel flag rd=disk#s# (your SL BSD name/partition), it may not boot correctly.

Read the Boothelp.txt file which is under docs in the Chameleon 2.0 RC3-r658 archive.

Once you've read boothelp.txt, and you have implemented the directory structures listed above, you can add the following to com.apple.Boot.plist under "Kernel Flags."

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>rd=disk0s2</string>

If for some reason it does not work, add "/dev/":

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>rd=/dev/disk0s2</string>

This forces/specifies which partition/volume to boot from.

Hope this helps...

Peace,

IanT

Hey Ian,

Sorry, I was being a nub... I just got Snow Leopard Retail disc to boot from your MARS132GREEN disc. The SATA optical drive had to be on SATA Port0 (Port1 on the board labels) and it is now installing Retail Snow Leopard!

Thanks you to I can now get Retail Leopard and Snow Leopard on my i7 / x58 combo! I owe you a drink! :hysterical:

First of all... Fantastic work and really well documented (as opposed to some "guides" I have seen that are more likely to get you lost than found :-)

I have successfully installed Snow Leopard on one of my machines, a P5Q-PRO with Q6600 @ 3.2GHz, 4GB memory, and GTX260 graphics card. I used a Boot123 CD that I found in a different P5Q thread on this board and things went fairly smoothly. Runs like a charm.

The problem I am having is trying to do the same thing on another machine of mine. Also a P5Q-PRO motherboard but with a Q9550 @ 3.8GHz, 4GB RAM, and Crossfired 4870 graphics. The boot123 CD that worked fine with my other config will not work with this one. I can't even get to the Welcome screen of Snow Leopard install. In verbose mode it just gets to a certain point and hangs forever. See attached pic.

With your bootcd I get to the apple logo with spinning cursor but then it resets the machine. Both 4870 fans go to high speed and I need to push the reset button to get the machine back to BIOS. Sorry, I didn't get a chance to run verbose mode and take a picture. Will try tomorrow.

Given that my two machines are almost identical except for the video cards do you think this is 4870 compatibility issue with your bootcd? I also tried removing one of the 4870's from the machine and running with a single video card and I get the same thing.

Any ideas? Any help is greatly appreciated.

edit: forgot to mention. I am using Juzzi modified BIOS 2102 on both motherboards.

post-490813-1257479517_thumb.jpg

dadi_oh,

So, I'm pretty sure I know why it's not working with the 4870... ;)

I haven't updated the boot-132-mars disc since October, perhaps even September.

I will upload a new ISO that includes Netkas' new PC EFI v10.5 that has support for ATI Radeon HD cards... Though, your mileage may vary since not all cards have been, but it should work.... :)

Please see this post on Netkas' blog, here:

PC EFI v10.5

http://netkas.org/?p=271

Give me some time to update everything... I may be releasing a cdboot version, which doesn't use ISOLINUX, for users who are having difficulty booting the original boot-132-mars disc, henceforth known as 132-Mars... :D

I'm also very happy that you were able to use my guide based on ASUS P5Q, and then adapt it to your rig!

Also, yes it has something to do with the boot-132-mars disc, it has Netkas' PC EFI v10.3, as opposed to the latest... :)

Peace,

IanT

PS. Netkas' PC EFI v10.5 allows the use of two cards, so both your 4870's will work... :)

First of all... Fantastic work and really well documented (as opposed to some "guides" I have seen that are more likely to get you lost than found :-)

I have successfully installed Snow Leopard on one of my machines, a P5Q-PRO with Q6600 @ 3.2GHz, 4GB memory, and GTX260 graphics card. I used a Boot123 CD that I found in a different P5Q thread on this board and things went fairly smoothly. Runs like a charm.

The problem I am having is trying to do the same thing on another machine of mine. Also a P5Q-PRO motherboard but with a Q9550 @ 3.8GHz, 4GB RAM, and Crossfired 4870 graphics. The boot123 CD that worked fine with my other config will not work with this one. I can't even get to the Welcome screen of Snow Leopard install. In verbose mode it just gets to a certain point and hangs forever. See attached pic.

With your bootcd I get to the apple logo with spinning cursor but then it resets the machine. Both 4870 fans go to high speed and I need to push the reset button to get the machine back to BIOS. Sorry, I didn't get a chance to run verbose mode and take a picture. Will try tomorrow.

Given that my two machines are almost identical except for the video cards do you think this is 4870 compatibility issue with your bootcd? I also tried removing one of the 4870's from the machine and running with a single video card and I get the same thing.

Any ideas? Any help is greatly appreciated.

edit: forgot to mention. I am using Juzzi modified BIOS 2102 on both motherboards.

Bapje,

The error "Still waiting for root device" is usually due to incorrect settings in BIOS. The on-board SATA controller needs to be set to AHCI, and you must be using SATA devices (e.g., hard drive and dvd-writer). Or you are using an IDE Hard Drive and an IDE DVD-ROM drive on the Marvell 88SE6111 controller, which requires another kext to be added to the disc.

It is also recommended to disable the following: serial port, parallel port (if applicable), secondary SATA/IDE controller (Marvell 88SE6111), ASUS ExpressGate.

The other options that should be enabled, and/or changed are:

Suspend Mode [s3 only]

Repost Video on S3 Resume [No]

ACPI 2.0 Support [Enabled]

ACPI APIC Support [Enabled]

Manually set the speed of your memory and input the correct voltage under DRAM Voltage; you can encounter kernel panics if this is not set properly.

The USB issue you are having may be fixed if you change the options above -- Also, you should also try using the patched BIOS by Juzzi, which is easily found if you search google for Juzzi P5Q.

Please read my guide, or search the forums before you ask for more help... I have a feeling you didn't read through the appendix for the recommended BIOS settings.

If you do ask for more help, please be detailed in the problem you're having -- Also, I do not have an ASUS P5Q Pro, but since it's based on the P5Q it's pretty much similar. At least four or five posts in the topic are users who have an ASUS P5Q Pro.

Peace,

IanT

PS. Not trying to be mean or anything, I'm trying to release like three/four more guides and to update the current files... :) But, I will do my best to provide general troubleshooting assistance; but please remember google is your friend... :)

Ian,

Any ideas on that AppleUSBUHCI error that i am getting?

Cant seem to find a way round it :)

Hey Ian, do you know if it's possible to load a DSDT from the syslinux yet?

My Rampage II Extreme will boot the Snow disc but the hard drive barely works, often either totally freezing or just being so slow to format it may as well have just crashed. My DSDT has the ICH10 AHCI fix in it which would solve this.

Also, do you have a 64bit compatible AHCI Injector kext because the one in your files doesn't have the ICH10 id in it (but somehow still works on the P5Q, perhaps because of the Juzzi bios fixing the problems or spoofing the id)?

UPDATED ON NOVEMBER 6, 2009 @ 3:32AM PST

Hey everyone!

Sorry for the delay in updating this topic... So here's what's in store for the near future!

1. Updated 132Mars-IanT boot disc, with Netkas' PC EFI v10.5
  2. Brand New 132Jupiter-IanT boot disc based on Chameleon 2.0 RC3-r658 cdboot (as opposed to ISOLINUX)
  3. An updated marsbooter shell script (currently in beta), which has an option to install Chameleon 2.0 RC3-r658 and Netkas' PC EFI v10.5 to the EFI partition!
  4. A few new guides!

- ...Detailed info from the list above... -

Updated 132Mars-IanT boot disc, with Netkas' PC EFI v10.5

The updated 132Mars-IanT boot disc will contain the following:

* ISOLINUX v3.83

* Netkas' PC EFI v10.5

* AHCIPortInjector.kext

* AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

* AppleVIAATA.kext (with Marvell 88SE6111 & 88SE6145 support)

* dsmos.kext

* fakesmc.kext (version 2)

* IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

* LegacyJMB36xSATA.kext

* NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

* OpenHaltRestart.kext

* PlatformUUID.kext

* VoodooPS2Controller.kext

The updated 132Mars-IanT boot disc will have the following removed:

* DSDT.AML from /Extra and INITRD.IMG/Extra

The updated 132Mars-IanT boot disc will have a modified com.apple.Boot.plist:

* Graphics Mode will be set to 1024x768x32 (if you would rather have 1280x1024x32, please let me know)

* The PCI-E slot kernel flag override will remain at -pci0 (if you have an issue with graphics, re-create the disc and use -pci1 instead)

Note: since dsdt.aml is not present, automatic PCI-E slot detection and configuration will not function.

Introducing 132Jupiter-IanT boot disc based on Chameleon 2.0 RC-r658 cdboot

What's new in 132Jupiter-IanT boot disc?

* Based on CDBOOT as opposed to ISOLINUX; this equates to better compatibility with a wide variety of motherboards (e.g., Intel D945GCLF/D945GCLF2D, etc.)

* Has PS/2 Keyboard and Mouse support (for them peeps who don't have USB a keyboard or mouse)

* Contains the following kexts:

AHCIPortInjector.kext

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

AppleVIAATA.kext

dsmos.kext

fakesmc.kext (version 2)

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

LegacyJMB36xSATA.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

VoodooPS2Controller.kext

* The com.apple.Boot.plist in /Extra will have the following options set:

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v</string>

<key>Instant Menu</key>

<string>yes</string>

<key>Rescan</key>

<string>yes</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1024x768x32</string>

* The com.apple.Boot.plist in Preboot.dmg/Extra will have the following options set:

<key>Kernel</key>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v -pci0</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>yes</string>

The OPTIONAL settings in com.apple.Boot.plist in BOTH locations are:

<key>DSDT</key>

<string>rd(0,0)/Extra/DSDT.aml</string>

<key>SMBIOS</key>

<string>rd(0,0)/Extra/smbios.plist</string>

Use the optional settings above if you customize your 132Jupiter-IanT boot disc! This ensures that either file gets loaded... :(

* Unfortunately, when you install SL with 132Jupiter-IanT, you will encounter the "Install Failed" message -- But just ignore it and reinsert the 132Jupiter-IanT boot disc, and boot the new SL install, and then use the marsbooter script to install Chameleon 2.0 RC3-r658 and Netkas' PC EFI v10.5, and all will be great! The "Install Failed" message has something to do with the installer not being able to bless the volume... (weird, i know...)

* Does not produce the EBIOS errors, as previously mentioned in my topic and countless others...

* It does produce the following error/message: "no ramdisk config", however you can safely ignore that.

* Verbose mode is enabled by DEFAULT, so that if you run into an error or problem you have a better chance of figuring it out!

* Your mileage may vary, this boot disc may work for you or it may not!!

* You should customize the 132Jupiter-IanT disc to your rig!

* Release date for 132Jupiter-IanT > In the next two days! So, no later than November 8, 2009!

As for the beta marsbooter shell script with an EFI install option and the new guides, those will be out by next weekend!!

If any of you have any comments or suggestions, or things you would like to see in the guides or the boot discs, please let me know!

Peace,

IanT

END UPDATED SECTION

Thanks again Ian. I really appreciate the uber fast response. I will look forward to the new boot disk and will report back with results.

Cheers

:D

dadi_oh,

So, I'm pretty sure I know why it's not working with the 4870... :)

I haven't updated the boot-132-mars disc since October, perhaps even September.

I will upload a new ISO that includes Netkas' new PC EFI v10.5 that has support for ATI Radeon HD cards... Though, your mileage may vary since not all cards have been, but it should work.... :)

Please see this post on Netkas' blog, here:

PC EFI v10.5

http://netkas.org/?p=271

Give me some time to update everything... I may be releasing a cdboot version, which doesn't use ISOLINUX, for users who are having difficulty booting the original boot-132-mars disc, henceforth known as 132-Mars... :D

I'm also very happy that you were able to use my guide based on ASUS P5Q, and then adapt it to your rig!

Also, yes it has something to do with the boot-132-mars disc, it has Netkas' PC EFI v10.3, as opposed to the latest... :)

Peace,

IanT

PS. Netkas' PC EFI v10.5 allows the use of two cards, so both your 4870's will work... :)

kup,

Yeah, you can load DSDT.AML from ISOLINUX, just add this to /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

<key>DSDT</key>
<string>hd(0,0)/Extra/DSDT.aml</string>

It probably doesn't matter, but I'm going off the BootHelp.txt file, so rename dsdt.aml to DSDT.aml.

If you want to be safe, you can also add it to INITRD.IMG/Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist...

If you want to see it loaded, add -v to "Kernel Flags":

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-v</string>

The question is, why are you using a boot cd to load SL? Or did I misunderstand your question????????

As far as the ICH10 thing, in terms of AHCIPortInjector.kext... Honestly, I am not sure -- I never actually opened the Info.plist until now (after reading your post)... It shows up as ICH10 in System Profiler, and it hasn't been slow or terrible... Can you share your ICH10 fix in DSDT.AML?

I edited AHCIPortInjector.kext, which is supposedly an x86_x64 compile, and added the following to Info.plist:

0x3A028086 >> Intel® ICH10D/DO SATA AHCI Controller

0x3A228086 >> Intel® ICH10R SATA AHCI

I got the kext from here > http://stellarola.tumblr.com/post/165429070/prepare-yourself

I've attached it, so give it a shot...?

Peace,

IanT

Hey Ian, do you know if it's possible to load a DSDT from the syslinux yet?

My Rampage II Extreme will boot the Snow disc but the hard drive barely works, often either totally freezing or just being so slow to format it may as well have just crashed. My DSDT has the ICH10 AHCI fix in it which would solve this.

Also, do you have a 64bit compatible AHCI Injector kext because the one in your files doesn't have the ICH10 id in it (but somehow still works on the P5Q, perhaps because of the Juzzi bios fixing the problems or spoofing the id)?

dadi_oh,

Try the attached 132MARS-Green-110609-WOS.iso.zip!!

The volume name of the image is "132MARS IT Green"

WOS = Without Support folder

So, if you have a problem with this, make sure you tell me its IdentCode of "Green."

Peace,

IanT

Thanks again Ian. I really appreciate the uber fast response. I will look forward to the new boot disk and will report back with results.

Cheers

:)

AHCIPortInjector_IanT_ICH10.kext.zip

132MARS_Green_110609_WOS.iso.zip

I'm just trying to be able to boot the Retail SL disc on my board because so far there are no reported success stories. I'll try with your new MARS disc and also I'll edit in the DSDT line and try out the new kext and report back.

Thank you for all your hard work, I really appreciate it.

kup,

Can you please share the ICH10 DSDT fix/hack?

No problem, I'm glad I can help!

Thanks!

Peace,

IanT

I'm just trying to be able to boot the Retail SL disc on my board because so far there are no reported success stories. I'll try with your new MARS disc and also I'll edit in the DSDT line and try out the new kext and report back.

Thank you for all your hard work, I really appreciate it.

kup,

Can you please share the ICH10 DSDT fix/hack?

No problem, I'm glad I can help!

Thanks!

Peace,

IanT

I'll post the fix this evening when I finish work but if you google for The King's Slow Ahci fix it should be at the top, it's on ProjectOSX.

Ian thanks for your help, i forgot to mention that i had the juzzi bios and all those settings except i missed setting the sata controller to ACHI. (my first install :()

Installing now, just going rather slow, might of been the way i burned the iso :<

Ian, as promised, the link to the ICH10 AHCI fix for some ASUS boards.

Slow SATA issue FIX - Project OS X Forums

This isn't needed for the P5Q series because Juzzi seems to fix the issues with his bios mods but it can be handy for other boards that are experiencing slow ICH10 performance in SL. (I don't use this or any other fixes on my P5Q, only my Rampage II Extreme)

silvaneves,

The stripped down 132Mars IanT Green boot disc is listed in Post #108.

You can find the PDF and everything else in the primary Topic...

Search for it... It's there.

IanT

sorry, but where is the download... ?

UPDATED ON NOVEMBER 6, 2009 @ 3:54PM PST

.:Latest Info:.

I've updated the ASUS P5Q Guide by IanT, and it is available here 9.47MB:

http://www.mediafire.com/?znhmwmyyycw

Revision History for ASUS P5Q Guide by IanT - 20091106:

November 6, 2009

• Rewrote parts of the guide to better reflect steps and/or methodologies
  • Updated hardware configuration information
  • Updated Configure BIOS options to set correct memory timings and voltage
  • Updated Appendix C to include dsdt patching and smbios loading support
  • Added an alternative boot method, referred to as 132Jupiter boot disc, which include the necessary steps to install Snow Leopard. See page 14 for more details.
  • Added Appendix D which outlines all the necessary steps to create a 132Jupiter boot disc.
  • List of kexts included in 132Mars, 132Jupiter, and Marsbooter Shell Script

1. AHCIPortInjector.kext (with ICH10 D/D0 and ICH10R device-id’s added by IanT)

2. AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

3. AppleVIATA.kext (with Marvell 88SE6111 and 88SE6145 support)

4. dsmos.kext

5. fakesmc.kext (version 2)

6. IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

7. NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

8. OpenHaltRestart.kext

9. PlatformUUID.kext

10. VoodooPS2Controller.kext

October 6, 2009

• Replaced digital photo’s with screen captures in Appendix B
  • Updated information in various sections, non-specific information

Updated 132Mars boot disc, named 132Mars Green

With support files > http://www.mediafire.com/?5u0incmgwvt

Without support files > http://www.mediafire.com/?o2jzxiorgzt

New Preliminary Release 132Jupiter boot disc, named 132Jupiter Purple

With support files > http://www.mediafire.com/?tytn1nenyky

Without support files > http://www.mediafire.com/?hjw2jdcv2cn

Hey Ian,

I just thought I'd let you know that the DSDT isn't loading no matter how I try to get it to work, via the normal Chameleon/PC-EFI method, via the com.boot.plist or anything. ;)

I can however boot my i7 rig everytime, so your discs work for more than just the P5Q series! :D

Woohoo :P

Snow Leopard is now installing on my P5Q-PRO with Q9550 and crossfired HD4870 cards. The trick was to start with your Mars ISO file and then manually add netkas PC EFI v10.5 boot fie to the image and create a new boot disk. That fixed the hanging problem I was having.

The only problem now is that while it is installing both 4870 fans are running at 100% for some reason. I hope it resolves itself after installation or I will need to find a way to control fan speed from Snow Leopard. In Windows I just use ATI CCC to manually set the fan speeds.

Will post back once everything installs. Thanks Ian... great work.

It was the second HD4870 that was running fan at 100%. I tried a bunch of things but nothing works. So I just pulled out the second 4870 and will install it in another machine (replacing an 8800GT). A single 4870 is plenty fast enough for the stuff I do.

So everything is running great here. Need to check out a few things (like sleep) and will keep you posted.

Woohoo :)

Snow Leopard is now installing on my P5Q-PRO with Q9550 and crossfired HD4870 cards. The trick was to start with your Mars ISO file and then manually add netkas PC EFI v10.5 boot fie to the image and create a new boot disk. That fixed the hanging problem I was having.

The only problem now is that while it is installing both 4870 fans are running at 100% for some reason. I hope it resolves itself after installation or I will need to find a way to control fan speed from Snow Leopard. In Windows I just use ATI CCC to manually set the fan speeds.

Will post back once everything installs. Thanks Ian... great work.

I just want to say kudos to you Ian T. I am complete noob to OSX86 and using your guide with a few tweaks I am running retail SL on my p5q-e. This is hands down one of the best guides on the net. Thanks again and keep up the great work!

-d

kup,

Okay... So I've been trying to figure out where dsdt.aml and smbios.plist should reside. I've finally figured out where they are supposed to be, in terms of booting from 132Mars or 132Jupiter.

It seems as though dsdt.aml and smbios.plist should be placed in the disk image file; INITRD.IMG/Extra or Preboot.dmg/Extra. So, why is that the proper directory for dsdt.aml and smbios.plist? It's where the kexts are being loaded from, so it makes perfect sense. I've even tested it... Obviously, I had to test it otherwise I wouldn't have replied to your post.... :D

For example, the structured directory should look something like this:

INITRD.IMG/

INITRD.IMG/Extra

INITRD.IMG/Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

INITRD.IMG/Extra/DSDT.aml

INITRD.IMG/Extra/Extensions

INITRD.IMG/Extra/smbios.plist

-or-

Preboot.dmg/

Preboot.dmg/Extra

Preboot.dmg/Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

Preboot.dmg/Extra/DSDT.aml

Preboot.dmg/Extra/Extensions

Preboot.dmg/Extra/smbios.plist

If you can't decipher the text based directory listing above, take a look at the attached images.

Ensure that com.apple.Boot.plist in INITRD.IMG/Extra -or- Preboot.dmg/Extra has the following settings:

<key>Kernel</key>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v -pci0</string>

<key>Instant Menu</key>

<string>yes</string>

<key>Rescan</key>

<string>yes</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>yes</string>

<key>DSDT</key>

<string>rd(0,0)/Extra/DSDT.aml</string>

<key>SMBIOS</key>

<string>rd(0,0)/Extra/smbios.plist</string>

Note: I am not sure how important capitalization is for dsdt.aml, so just rename dsdt.aml to DSDT.aml.

Please ensure that -v is listed in ISORoot(132Mars|132Jupiter)/Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist under "Kernel Flags" so that you can get verbose output of what the boot loader is doing.

For example;

<key>Kernel</key>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v</string>

<key>Instant Menu</key>

<string>yes</string>

<key>Rescan</key>

<string>yes</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1024x768x32</string>

If dsdt.aml and smbios.plist have been loaded, the verbose output should read something like this:

Loaded HFS+ file: [Extra/DSDT.aml] 38570 bytes from 4ac5da0
pci root uid not found
Loaded HFS+ file: [Extra/smbios.plist] 1471 bytes from 4ac5da0
Patched DMI Table.
Loaded HFS+ file: [Extra/DSDT.aml] 38570 bytes from 4ac5da0
Patched ACPI version 2 DSDT

If your verbose output says 'pci root uid not found', you can simply ignore it, especially if you're using the pci root uid override in com.apple.Boot.plist of either -pci0 or -pci1.

Get back to me once you've tested it out!

UPDATE: I noticed that 132Jupiter has a much cleaner verbose output from the boot loader... :superman: I've uploaded a new ISO that you can edit real quick, by just replacing DSDT.aml and smbios.plist in Preboot.dmg/Extra, with your own... :)

You can grab it here, 132Jupiter-Purpler-11082009-WOS, 6.94MB:

http://www.mediafire.com/?mmmzzm2d31n

Peace,

IanT

Hey Ian,

I just thought I'd let you know that the DSDT isn't loading no matter how I try to get it to work, via the normal Chameleon/PC-EFI method, via the com.boot.plist or anything. :P

I can however boot my i7 rig everytime, so your discs work for more than just the P5Q series! :D

d'animal,

Hey, as long as you were able to follow the guide, and then adapt it to your needs, you certainly aren't a complete noob!

Glad my guide worked out for you! I'm curious, are you talking about the latest guide I released?

Peace,

IanT

I just want to say kudos to you Ian T. I am complete noob to OSX86 and using your guide with a few tweaks I am running retail SL on my p5q-e. This is hands down one of the best guides on the net. Thanks again and keep up the great work!

-d

post-72776-1257826282_thumb.png

post-72776-1257826301_thumb.png

post-72776-1257826312_thumb.png

Hi everyone!

I successfully upgraded MARS 10.6.1 to 10.6.2 via combo update. Sleep is OK.

Update via software update caused KP.

Keep in mind that you have to remove Sleepenabler kext BEFORE UPGRADE, and after upgrade install new 10.6.2 version from Netkas.

Thanks to Ian T!!!

Mikhail