PDF GUIDES: Retail Snow Leopard Install for ASUS P5Q & P5Q-E

Ian T

308 posts in this topic

I'm using 64bit kernel.

I don't remember for sure where i got the kexts but I think it was in this thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...54652&st=80

Cheers!

Hi bomsom!

Can You please provide links or attach kexts you are refering to?

I also have problems with the sound so hopefully I'll resolve them using the same kexts You are using.

One more question:

Are You booting 32bit or 64bit kernel?

IanT,

whats up - no news yet on the promised topics ? :unsure:

yes, any updates? I am definitely not rushing you, but can we just get an update? I am planning to make my first hackitosh over the new year break, just wondering if I should wait.

Sorry everyone... I didn't intend to go MIA.

The Chameleon team has just released Chameleon 2.0 RC4-r684, I'll be basing the Mars and Jupiter ISO's on this version instead. Don't worry, I'll have legacy versions with Chameleon 2.0 RC3-r658.

Just give me a little more time, and a little bit more of patience.

Oh yeah, about the dual boot guides -- yes yes, they are still coming...!

One more thing, I will be writing guides for the Intel D945GCLF2D and the Zotac ION Mini-ITX A-U motherboards... Wow, right?!?

Thanks!

Peace,

IanT

PS. I've been reading that some people are having issues booting from 132Mars or 132Jupiter. Ensure that you have manually set your memory speed, timings, and voltage, otherwise you can get a KP. For other users, ensure that you have all the kexts you need in the ISO, otherwise, if you are using different hardware, than the ones listed in the guide, it most likely won't work. Please understand that my image files are enhanced (made for) the ASUS P5Q and ASUS P5Q-E motherboards.

Hello all,

I am new to the Hackintosh world! i have been up and running on 10.5.8 for about 6 months now without any real problems.

i bought the retail DVD like IanT said.

my specs are as follows:

Asus P5Q

C2D E8400

4GB DDR2 @1066MHz

XFX GeForce 8800GTX+ with 512MB GDDR2

i have 3 diffrent network cards that i can use. i was able to get one of them working but it was VERY slow download speeds...

Dynex DX-E102 (this is the one that was working very slowly. But works GREAT in 10.5.8)

also have a Linsys LNE100TX

is there any new info on any of these cards that might help me get it working 100%?

Also i was wondering what the diffrence in the 132Mars and the 132jupiter was? i have tried both. and had better luck with the mars version.

I couldnt find the Marsbooter file in the CD, but i was able to download it somewhere. however when i try to go into terminal and do the change directory command i get a message that says its not a valid directory. what am i doing wrong... im useing the short cut of simply typing "cd" and then draging the Marsbooter file from the desktop to the terminal window so that i know the file path is correct. any help would be greatfuly apperciated.

Hello all,

I am new to the Hackintosh world! i have been up and running on 10.5.8 for about 6 months now without any real problems.

i bought the retail DVD like IanT said.

my specs are as follows:

Asus P5Q

C2D E8400

4GB DDR2 @1066MHz

XFX GeForce 8800GTX+ with 512MB GDDR2

i have 3 diffrent network cards that i can use. i was able to get one of them working but it was VERY slow download speeds...

Dynex DX-E102 (this is the one that was working very slowly. But works GREAT in 10.5.8)

also have a Linsys LNE100TX

is there any new info on any of these cards that might help me get it working 100%?

Also i was wondering what the diffrence in the 132Mars and the 132jupiter was? i have tried both. and had better luck with the mars version.

I couldnt find the Marsbooter file in the CD, but i was able to download it somewhere. however when i try to go into terminal and do the change directory command i get a message that says its not a valid directory. what am i doing wrong... im useing the short cut of simply typing "cd" and then draging the Marsbooter file from the desktop to the terminal window so that i know the file path is correct. any help would be greatfuly apperciated.

i was able to go to my 10.5.8 distro and use the IONETWORKINGFAMILY.KEXT from there... copied it and used kext helper to put it into the SL hard drive... getting the marsloader.sh to work was just my inexsperiance... you must put a space after the "cd" berfore the "/" but now its up and working 100%

I am having some problems getting the computer to wake up from sleep mode... for somereason the only way to wake it up is to press restart... my fix for this untill i learn more is to disable sleep mode. if anyone has a fix for it please let me know. also if you are having problems with your net card let me know ill post a link for my kext and hope that it will work for you aswell

Hey Everyone,

So, okay -- yeah, I know the image files, you guys are lookin' for the image files. I'll upload them tomorrow.... :)

Anyways, as for the Zotac IONITX-A-U motherboard... Well, I got SL 10.6.0 installed, and the Azurewave Mini PCIe Wireless Card works and is detected as Airport.

The Atom 330 CPU is detected as a Core 2 Duo processor in About This Mac. I'll be updating to 10.6.2 with the modded 10.2.0 kernel, and enabling Hyper-Threading (which supposedly works; currently I've got hyper-threading turned off).

The on-board IGP nvidia 9400M GPU is detected and is registering as Unknown with 512MB VRAM and is located on the PCI bus. So far as I can tell, QE/CI works (Arabesque Screensaver, Adding a widget to Dashboard, Chess, and Front Row all work)

As for audio, I think that VoodooHDA.kext (0.22) should work for it. Otherwise, the SYBA SD-CM-UAUD USB Stereo Audio Adapter, available at Newegg, works just great.

I'll be posting more on the Zotac later...

As for the Intel D945GCLF2D, I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I will shortly.

Peace,

IanT

Hi Ian,

I was hoping to install snow leopard 10.6.2 on an ASUS P5E (intel X38 chipset + HD4870). The kexts on the iso are meant for P5Q, how easy is it for me to substitute other kexts with your iso's? I also do NOT have a MAC so I basically can't follow any of the other hackintosh approaches.

So, okay -- yeah, I know the image files, you guys are lookin' for the image files. I'll upload them tomorrow.... :D

Sounds great :P Very nice to hear from you again. I'm so excited to finally get startet with my OSX Project. But did you upload the files to a different Thread?? Where can I find them?

Hello,

I Installed my first OSx these Days. I used iDeneb 1.5 and updated it to 10.5.8 - after I found some missing drivers and learned how to install them everything works pretty nice.

Now I'd like to test Snow Leopard and since your Guide uses same Hardware as I am it seems perfekt.

I'd like to know if I can install Snow Leopard into the same Drive as Leopard but different Partition.

I think i'm using Chameleon 2RC2 as Bootloader but i'm not very sure - its with the iDeneb install.

Last but not least is, is it posible to use your latest version or should I wait till your next release?

Thanks for your great Work!

Edit / Hardware:

Asus P5Q

Intel C2D E8400

ATI HD 4850

Hey Everyone,

So, okay -- yeah, I know the image files, you guys are lookin' for the image files. I'll upload them tomorrow.... :D

Have these new image files been uploaded? The newest Jupiter/Mars I see uploaded are for 11/25/09. Maybe I just suck at finding stuff. :P

TIA

I've tried the installation of SL several Times now, it allways freezes with monitor only showing weird stuff.

I used the 132 Mars version.

It freezes while loading setup. tried -v "Graphics Mode"="640x480x32" but it didn't help and I couldn't read last entry sind it crashes then.

I'm using an usb stick with restored snowleopard_10a432_userdvd.dmg

I'm lost as to how everyone is getting this installed? I have a P5Q and keep getting stuck at the light blue screen that is after all the white letters with the black background that is after the mars bootdisk. That's as far as I've ever gotten. It just sits there with no cursor or anything.

I took out the wireless card, network card, turned off the lan in bios, turned off the IDE in bios, have AHCI set in bios, turned off asus gate, made sure i have sata1 as hard drive and sata 3 as sata burner. took out all other sata/ide devices. it was OC'ed to 4GHz but reset all cpu parameters to stock.

P5Q

Pentium E6300 2.8GHz wolfdale dual-core /w virtualization

2102 jizzy bios

evga 7900gtx

4GB ram

I even tried hooking up a monitor to the 2nd dvi AND the svideo out to make sure it wasn't throwing it to another screen.

Any ideas? I've tried all that's come to mind. :P

.:Latest Info:.

1. I am still in the midst of finalizing the new dual-boot guides, so please be patient while I add the final touches.
  2. Updated 132Mars and 132Jupiter image files, listed below.

Updated 132Jupiter-011010-WOS.ISO.ZIP, which is available here 6.8MB:

http://www.mediafire.com/?mnyzfmbmgdj

Updated 132Mars-011010-WOS.ISO.ZIP, which is available here 1.47MB:

http://www.mediafire.com/?zjzmwnczhyz

Dime2k10,

If you read my PDF guide, you'll notice that I listed an Original Mac OS X Snow Leopard Install DVD is required.

I never wrote how to use a USB device, restored with a DMG file, to install SL onto an ASUS P5Q.

Again, if you are doing something other than what is listed in either guides, your mileage will vary.

Regards,

IanT

I've tried the installation of SL several Times now, it allways freezes with monitor only showing weird stuff.

I used the 132 Mars version.

It freezes while loading setup. tried -v "Graphics Mode"="640x480x32" but it didn't help and I couldn't read last entry sind it crashes then.

I'm using an usb stick with restored snowleopard_10a432_userdvd.dmg

Cheval,

Are you following my guide? If you've read my PDF guide, you shouldn't be lost.

Again, if you do something other than what's listed in the guide your mileage will vary.

It is also recommended that you manually set your memory timings and voltage.

Btw, it's Juzzi, not jizzy (that's sick!)...

Peace,

IanT

I'm lost as to how everyone is getting this installed? I have a P5Q and keep getting stuck at the light blue screen that is after all the white letters with the black background that is after the mars bootdisk. That's as far as I've ever gotten. It just sits there with no cursor or anything.

I took out the wireless card, network card, turned off the lan in bios, turned off the IDE in bios, have AHCI set in bios, turned off asus gate, made sure i have sata1 as hard drive and sata 3 as sata burner. took out all other sata/ide devices. it was OC'ed to 4GHz but reset all cpu parameters to stock.

P5Q

Pentium E6300 2.8GHz wolfdale dual-core /w virtualization

2102 jizzy bios

evga 7900gtx

4GB ram

I even tried hooking up a monitor to the 2nd dvi AND the svideo out to make sure it wasn't throwing it to another screen.

Any ideas? I've tried all that's come to mind. :wacko:

*keyser,

Either one will work for the P5Q and the P5Q-E.

132Mars uses ISOLINUX, whereas 132Jupiter uses cdboot.

IanT

Thanks for the update!! Theese are the ones for the P5Q-E, right?

Thank you Ian, I have tried both isos and the result is the same, after booting to chamaleon when I select the Mac partition or the DVD install I get black screen and the fans of my graphics card go to 100% revs even resetting the computer still gives no video. I have to power it down and then is fine. With the older Chameleon of your august mars booter I don't have this problem.

Which option I have to enable in Chameleon to boot as before. My card is an ATI 5850.

EDIT: I was able to install using "GraphicsEnabler=No" flag under chameleon. Ok, now Ian I don't see in the iso the scripts to install Chameleon and drivers into the harddrive. Do I have to download another package? I installed using Mars Booter.

Xtro,

I don't have an ATI 5850 to test with, and I would read Netkas' blog about using any ATI 48xx or 58xx.

I didn't include the install script for Marsbooter, because I haven't gotten around to cleaning up the script.

I'll work on getting it released this week though...

Peace,

IanT

PS. Sorry that you're having problems with using a different graphics card. Hopefully someone will have an insight on how to get it to work during a vanilla install.

Thank you Ian, I have tried both isos and the result is the same, after booting to chamaleon when I select the Mac partition or the DVD install I get black screen and the fans of my graphics card go to 100% revs even resetting the computer still gives no video. I have to power it down and then is fine. With the older Chameleon of your august mars booter I don't have this problem.

Which option I have to enable in Chameleon to boot as before. My card is an ATI 5850.

EDIT: I was able to install using "GraphicsEnabler=No" flag under chameleon. Ok, now Ian I don't see in the iso the scripts to install Chameleon and drivers into the harddrive. Do I have to download another package? I installed using Mars Booter.

Xtro,

I don't have an ATI 5850 to test with, and I would read Netkas' blog about using any ATI 48xx or 58xx.

I didn't include the install script for Marsbooter, because I haven't gotten around to cleaning up the script.

I'll work on getting it released this week though...

Peace,

IanT

PS. Sorry that you're having problems with using a different graphics card. Hopefully someone will have an insight on how to get it to work during a vanilla install.

Ian it's working disabling "GraphicsEnable" flag but of course I don't have hardware acceleration until Apple releases some hardware with this graphics card. I'll wait until you release the script for P5Q-E to fully use Snow, I don't want to screw it like last time.

Thanks for all

Xtro,

The reason why I haven't released the script yet is because I added support for installing Chameleon 2.0 RC4-r684 and all relevant files to the EFI partition, as opposed to the SL partition.

I've got a few scripting bugs to work out, but I'm fairly confident that I'll have it released this week.

If you can't wait, you can just download the Chameleon 2.0 RC4-r684 binary file, and take a look at the README file on how to install it to your SL partition. If you're using an MBR part as opposed to a GPT part, make sure you do a google search.... first.

Peace,

IanT

Ian it's working disabling "GraphicsEnable" flag but of course I don't have hardware acceleration until Apple releases some hardware with this graphics card. I'll wait until you release the script for P5Q-E to fully use Snow, I don't want to screw it like last time.

Thanks for all