PDF GUIDES: Retail Snow Leopard Install for ASUS P5Q & P5Q-E

Ian T

308 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...
a guide to boot up SL and win7 on two separate hard drives would be nice. Is this possible or would you have to have them on the same hard drive with separate partitions

Should be possible, got the same situation. Let's hope the dual boot guides are coming soon and are featuring this setup. :)

Hmm... I'm using RAID 1 for my main 7 drive on my P5Q-E. If I flash with the custom BIOS, will RAID still work? Will I be able to install SL if RAID is enabled, or will I have to switch the SATA mode back to AHCI any time I want to run SL? (And set it back to RAID to boot into 7?)

Hmm... I'm using RAID 1 for my main 7 drive on my P5Q-E. If I flash with the custom BIOS, will RAID still work? Will I be able to install SL if RAID is enabled, or will I have to switch the SATA mode back to AHCI any time I want to run SL? (And set it back to RAID to boot into 7?)

It works under RAID. At least I installed under AHCI and after I did a Raid-0 for Win7, Snow still boots.

The modded bios doesn't change nothing to the raid I think.

It works under RAID. At least I installed under AHCI and after I did a Raid-0 for Win7, Snow still boots.

The modded bios doesn't change nothing to the raid I think.

Thanks! I went ahead and flashed and was still able to boot into 7 with no problems, so I went ahead and installed 10.6... but now I have no network adapters or sound :) I'll keep messing around. I'm surprised my 4870 works perfectly though right off the bat.

Thanks! I went ahead and flashed and was still able to boot into 7 with no problems, so I went ahead and installed 10.6... but now I have no network adapters or sound :D I'll keep messing around. I'm surprised my 4870 works perfectly though right off the bat.

Have you tried the drivers from my thread

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=137296

You will find Marvell Lan drivers as well.....Try it and let me know

Question:

ATI 4870.......Is Quartz Extreme working for you?

Hello,

I have an ASUS CM5570 that I'd like to install OSX on. The motherboard is a Asus P5QL-VM EPU. The most detailed information I've been able to find on it can be found here: http://www.motherboardpro.com/ASUS-P5QL-VM...ail-p-1302.html . I'm sure I need a bios update. Every distribution I've tried doesn't get to the install process. None of the BIOS updates listed above match my motherboard exactly. Does anyone know if I could use one of those updates or where I could find an update for my motherboard?

Thanks!

James

Successfully installed on my P5Q Deluxe. I have try all boot disk, and only this one allow me to complete my installation without any error. I didnt run the MACOSBOOT script, I have to look for other drivers for network and sound. And still booting using the bootdisk.

My main system spec:

P5Q deluxe, Q9550, 8800GT 512MB

After I created an image for the driver, I will try to install Chameleon RC4 tonight manually.

And, thanks IanT for the great guide.

After I created an image for the driver, I will try to install Chameleon RC4 tonight manually.

Please give some feedback on your results and on how you did it. Thanks :(

I managed to dualboot Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Windows 7 in a dual-drive setup, still using the Mars123 CD. I got two hard drives, first serving partitions for Mac OS X and TimeMachine, second is for Windows 7. I followed some threads in the dualbooting section of these forums and found out that the most easy solution for my setup is to remove the SATA cable from my board for the first drive (the one with Mac OS X) and then install Windows 7 as normal using the DVD. Sadly you have to open your PC case as deactivating the SATA port in BIOS does not work, the flashed BIOS automatically resets to the old settings though saving the changes (this also goes for the AHCI settings in BIOS). Removing the cable is essential so there can be diffrent bootmanagers, one on each harddrive. I recommend having installed Mac OS X first and Windows 7 second using the cable trick, described as following.

So I put off the cable and installed Windows 7, mention that during Windows installation you should not be able to see the first harddrive at all. Windows 7 Setup automatically creates two partitions, first is about 100MBs called "System Reserved" (or equivalent), second is the main Windows partition. After installation shut down your PC and connect the SATA cable for the first harddrive again. Put in the Mars123 CD and start up. Chameleon should be able to display two new partitions for you, out of the box. Now it is important to always select the "System Reserved" partition of Windows and not the main partition, as this would give you a "BOOTMGR missing" error (took me a lot of time to find out..) Using the System Reserved partition works perfectly for me and boots up Windows as normal, using the Mac Partition does work for me too. So you now should be able to dual boot.

Some sidenote from my experience: I got the Windows 7 MSDNAA RTM DVD which only serves one language. There is a MultiLanguage Pack DVD also in MSDNAA and you have to run some commands to install those languages into your Windows, as it is not official supported to install language packs when not using Windows 7 Ultimate or Enterprise. You'll quickly find the commands when googling for "dism windows 7 mui", though you might run into some problems running the first command as it might abort with Error code 1603. There is nearly no information on this in the whole google web, but I found out that this error comes along when booting Windows using Chameleon (or maybe other bootloaders, like grub, too). So for installing you should boot up Windows (that is placed on its own harddisk in this setup!) using the F8 key in BIOS and selecting your second harddrive. The languagepack installation should now complete.

Good Luck!

hello thank you for your guide i am starting to read it and my problem is thats i don't know where to find your mars support package!!  where is the bios for the p5q-e ?

thank you

nvm i found the previous post with text for location of bios got them

Please give some feedback on your results and on how you did it. Thanks :(

After test-run for two days, everything work perfectly. start-up, shut-down, restart, and sleep are working as intended.

This is basically what I did (hopefully I didn't missed anything important), and also try to make a image before, just incase :(

1. Download the Chameleon:

2. Install the Chameleon, Installation Guide

3. Copy the Kext to /Extra/Extension/, here is the list I had (not sure if its same for all motherboard, please confirm it)

• AHCIPortInjector.Kext
  • fakesmc.kext
  • IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.Kext
  • NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
  • OpenHaltRestart.kext
  • PlatformUUID.kext

4. Copy the folder Theme, to /Extra/.

5. Then, I copy the dsdt.aml, com.apple.boot.plist and smbios.plist to /Extra/. I got the files from IanT's MARSBOOTER

6. I made a few changes on the com.apple.boot.plist, here how mine looks like

<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-pci0 -arch=i386 -x32</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>0</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>yes</string>
<key>ForceHPET</key>
<string>yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1920x1200x32</string>

7. Restart.

Good luck.

Should be possible, got the same situation. Let's hope the dual boot guides are coming soon and are featuring this setup. :)

Everyone,

I'm sorry that I have been MIA -- I have had to deal with a recent tragic loss in the family, as well as being only Information Systems Engineer at my company (the only other person was let go this past Thursday). As you can understand, I do not have any free time to devote to my hobbies.

I ask that every please bear with me for just a while longer, and I will produce what I have promised.

Best regards,

IanT

:(

Please give some feedback on your results and on how you did it. Thanks :)

I managed to dualboot now, still using the Mars123 CD. I got two hard drives, first serving partitions for Mac OS X and TimeMachine, second is for Windows 7. I followed some threads in the dualbooting section of these forums and found out that the most easy solution for my setup is to remove the SATA cable from my board for the first drive (the one with Mac OS X) and then install Windows 7 as normal using the DVD. Sadly you have to open your PC case as deactivating the SATA port in BIOS does not work, the flashed BIOS automatically resets to the old settings though saving the changes (this also goes for the AHCI settings in BIOS). Removing the cable is essential so there can be diffrent bootmanagers, one on each harddrive. I recommend having installed Mac OS X first and Windows 7 second using the cable trick, described as following.

So I put off the cable and installed Windows 7, mention that during Windows installation you should not be able to see the first harddrive at all. Windows 7 Setup automatically creates two partitions, first is about 100MBs called "System Reserved" (or equivalent), second is the main Windows partition. After installation shut down your PC and connect the SATA cable for the first harddrive again. Put in the Mars123 CD and start up. Chameleon should be able to display two new partitions for you, out of the box. Now it is important to always select the "System Reserved" partition of Windows and not the main partition, as this would give you a "BOOTMGR missing" error (took me a lot of time to find out..) Using the System Reserved partition works perfectly for me and boots up Windows as normal, using the Mac Partition does work for me too. So you now should be able to dual boot.

Some sidenote from my experience: I got the Windows 7 MSDNAA RTM DVD which only serves one language. There is a MultiLanguage Pack DVD also in MSDNAA and you have to run some commands to install those languages into your Windows, as it is not official supported to install language packs when not using Windows 7 Ultimate or Enterprise. You'll quickly find the commands when googling for "dism windows 7 mui", though you might run into some problems running the first command as it might abort with Error code 1603. There is nearly no information on this in the whole google web, but I found out that this error comes along when booting Windows using Chameleon (or maybe other bootloaders, like grub, too). So for installing you should boot up Windows (that is placed on its own harddisk in this setup!) using the F8 key in BIOS and selecting your second harddrive. The languagepack installation should now complete.

Good Luck!

floordance,

In the future, can you please be a bit more specific on what you mean by dual-boot?

The guides that I will be releasing will cover both a single drive, two partition installation scheme, and another that covers a dual drive installation scheme. Also, the guides I will release won't ever give anyone that dreaded BOOTMGR issue.

Thanks,

IanT

Hey IanT,

Sincere condolences for your loss. I'm very sorry to hear that. It should be self-evident that you take your time before focussing on new challenges.

I slightly updated the beginning of my report, though I'm aware that my structure is not that clear... I'm busy ATM, too.

Hey IanT,

Sincere condolences for your loss. I'm very sorry to hear that. It should be self-evident that you take your time before focussing on new challenges.

I slightly updated the beginning of my report, though I'm aware that my structure is not that clear... I'm busy ATM, too.

Thanks for your understanding, and thank you for updating your findings :(

Regards,

IanT

I installed Snow Leopard on an Asus P5Q-E (modded BIOS), Core 2 Quad, EVGA GTX 260 over the weekend. Thanks to Ian T and a few others' guides I got everything working just about flawlessly. I have it setup on my 2nd SATA HDD (although I set it to boot first in the BIOS), and Windows 7 is on my 1st. I was able to boot back and forth between them without problems (had to edit registry in Win 7 for AHCPI), had internet and sound in OSX as well. Then last night I decided to test the sleep out. So I turned Power Mgmt on and hit the sleep button. It went to sleep fine but didn't wake up, as I expected (I can't even get it to wake up in Win7 properly). So when I went to restart it, it locked up at the gray screen.

I've tried just about everything and I can't get passed the gray screen. I am able to use my USB installer to boot into the retail install DVD, but I can't get into the HDD instance. It keeps locking up at the same point. In single-user mode it hangs after DMOS has arrived. In regular verbose mode it tends to lockup when fsck is checking the catalog file.

I ran fsck in single user and it said it modified something. But still no progress. I also used disk utility from the install DVD and repaired permissions. It reported a lot of repairs, but still locks up. I tried removing DSDT.aml from terminal on the install disk, but I was getting denied permission to edit it. I see a few random PCI errors and mentions of com.apple in verbose before it locks up, but I haven't tried deleting it yet. Not even sure if I can from the install disk.

I'm not sure what else to try. I don't really mind reinstalling, but I'd like to know what the hell happened. I had updated to 10.6.2, no problem, and restarted dozens of times. I installed MacFuse and NTFS 3g, and I'd restarted since then and still no problems.

My original suspicions were a permissions thing, but single-user mode doesn't work, and disk utitility said it repaired a lot, but still no dice. There are some blurbs about the disk being read-only when I try to do something from terminal from the install disk. I also wonder about DSDT.aml, because I have removed it from the USB installer that boots fine, but I never removed it from the real install. I did, however, change the name of it to DSDT_.aml at some point when trying to get my lan working, but it never seemed to change anything. It is still named DSDT_.aml, so I'm assuming OSX ignores it entirely. One other thing, is that I've heard some people say the Mac HDD needs to be on your first SATA channel. Mine is technically on the 2nd (Win7 is first), although it is first to boot. But it was working fine like that so I don't know why it would suddenly stop.

So anyone have any ideas? Again, the last thing I did was put it to sleep and try to wake it. After the hard restart, I can't get into the HDD, even using the bootloader on the USB stick.

I installed Snow Leopard on an Asus P5Q-E (modded BIOS), Core 2 Quad, EVGA GTX 260 over the weekend. Thanks to Ian T and a few others' guides I got everything working just about flawlessly. I have it setup on my 2nd SATA HDD (although I set it to boot first in the BIOS), and Windows 7 is on my 1st. I was able to boot back and forth between them without problems (had to edit registry in Win 7 for AHCPI), had internet and sound in OSX as well. Then last night I decided to test the sleep out. So I turned Power Mgmt on and hit the sleep button. It went to sleep fine but didn't wake up, as I expected (I can't even get it to wake up in Win7 properly). So when I went to restart it, it locked up at the gray screen.

I've tried just about everything and I can't get passed the gray screen. I am able to use my USB installer to boot into the retail install DVD, but I can't get into the HDD instance. It keeps locking up at the same point. In single-user mode it hangs after DMOS has arrived. In regular verbose mode it tends to lockup when fsck is checking the catalog file.

I ran fsck in single user and it said it modified something. But still no progress. I also used disk utility from the install DVD and repaired permissions. It reported a lot of repairs, but still locks up. I tried removing DSDT.aml from terminal on the install disk, but I was getting denied permission to edit it. I see a few random PCI errors and mentions of com.apple in verbose before it locks up, but I haven't tried deleting it yet. Not even sure if I can from the install disk.

I'm not sure what else to try. I don't really mind reinstalling, but I'd like to know what the hell happened. I had updated to 10.6.2, no problem, and restarted dozens of times. I installed MacFuse and NTFS 3g, and I'd restarted since then and still no problems.

My original suspicions were a permissions thing, but single-user mode doesn't work, and disk utitility said it repaired a lot, but still no dice. There are some blurbs about the disk being read-only when I try to do something from terminal from the install disk. I also wonder about DSDT.aml, because I have removed it from the USB installer that boots fine, but I never removed it from the real install. I did, however, change the name of it to DSDT_.aml at some point when trying to get my lan working, but it never seemed to change anything. It is still named DSDT_.aml, so I'm assuming OSX ignores it entirely. One other thing, is that I've heard some people say the Mac HDD needs to be on your first SATA channel. Mine is technically on the 2nd (Win7 is first), although it is first to boot. But it was working fine like that so I don't know why it would suddenly stop.

So anyone have any ideas? Again, the last thing I did was put it to sleep and try to wake it. After the hard restart, I can't get into the HDD, even using the bootloader on the USB stick.

llobster,

Make sure you aren't using dsmos.kext, instead use fakesmc.kext v2.5 from netkas. -- Also, make sure you are running the correct version of SleepEnabler.kext and also NullCPUPowerManagement.kext. Lastly, the on-board NIC, as I stated in my guide, that LAN2 closest to the coaxial SPDIF port is the one that works with skge.kext. The other is not supported under skge.kext, and is disabled in BIOS. About the SATA Port, yeah usually SATA PORT 0 is preferred for Snow, but I've done it with SATA PORT 1 and it works great.

I think I also said that I did state that I don't use Power Management - sleep or the like, ever -- so I can't really help you out on that issue.

Regards,

IanT

• 2 weeks later...
Lastly, the on-board NIC, as I stated in my guide, that LAN2 closest to the coaxial SPDIF port is the one that works with skge.kext. The other is not supported under skge.kext, and is disabled in BIOS.

Marvell 88E8056 works with this:

LegacyAppleYukon2.kext.zip

If you own a P5Q-E board and can't boot into OS X after a crash, try resetting CMOS (check the motherboard manual if you don't know how). Don't forget to enter BIOS setup and restore your settings afterwards. You can use the overclocking profiles on the last page to save and restore them.

Sometimes booting into the installer on an old OSX86 install DVD fixes it. Just let the DVD boot in verbose mode, then press the reset button after it passes the IOAPIC stuff and try booting into OS X again.

Hello,

I have a major problem ...

I have a Asus P5Q3-Deluxe/WiFi @n Mother Board with VGA 9600 GT 512 MB

If i use the 123 disk's you created, nothing happens ...

It freezes , just link in the image.

What to do ?

The BIOS is patchet with Juzzy's Bios

I setted everithing in BIOS as it should ...

Nothing ...

P.S. The same outcome i have with a Efi Empire Disk, witch i used long before to install on a P5Q ant it worked...

Beerkex'd, resetting the CMOS did the trick! Thank you.

I put in the latest version of SleepEnabler.kext and sleep works...sort of. When it wakes up, I can't use some programs like DiskUtility or iTunes, which crash as soon as they open. The report mentions com.apple-mainthread as the thread that crashed. And when I try to restart, I get a KP. I found some topics in the search in the forum here, but the links were messed up and couldn't actually find the threads.

Ian T, I know you said you don't use it, but anyone else have any success with sleep on this board?

Run 'console' and check the system log. Sleep and wake events get logged, maybe you can find some clues there.

I've had sleep working on my P5Q-E in Vista, Windows 7 RC, Leopard 10.5.x and 10.6.0-1. I can't get it working in 10.6.2 or Windows 7 retail. Right now I get flashing power led, video card fan spinning briefly at full throttle, and then it just reboots.

As an extra bonus (this happens only with OS X) sometimes it will fast forward the BIOS clock to year 2039 or 2079, or it leaves the year and resets just the time. And I have done the RTC fix in DSDT already.

At least I'm getting somewhere, previously it would just shut down. ;)

• 3 weeks later...