PDF GUIDES: Retail Snow Leopard Install for ASUS P5Q & P5Q-E

Ian T

308 posts in this topic

Rana Jee,

The links are in the beginning of the thread, first posts. There is another one in page 2, but the latest one is from November 6th. Ian already released an updated guide in November 15th (see first page again) but didn't release the Iso's yet.

UPDATED ON NOVEMBER 25, 2009 @ 10:55AM PST

.:Latest Info:.

1. I am still in the midst of finalizing the new dual-boot guides, so please be patient while I add the final touches.
  2. I have been busy trying to secure a new job, that's why there's been a delay in releasing the dual-boot guides. I'm also out of town with family... :wacko:

I have NOT tested either of these ISOs, since I am out of town. I'm pretty sure they'll work!

132Jupiter-112509-WOS.iso.zip > dsmos.kext has been removed, fakesmc.kext has been updated to 2.5, 6.79MB:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ee54gmymn1a

132Mars-112509-WOS.iso.zip > dsmos.kext has been removed, fakesmc.kext has been updated to 2.5, 1.46MB:

http://www.mediafire.com/?mznit1zkomw

Please report back if you have problems...

Again, dual-boot guides are coming, as well as the accompanying support files... Please be patient!

Peace,

IanT

Thanks Ian, the first things first, hope you are lucky with your new job, that's important nowadays.

I have a Retail Snow Leopard 10.6.0 vanilla installed without chameleon in the hd, so I need to boot with your bootcds in order to select my operating system. This last two bootcds didn't work for me... mars booter gave no video after starting OSX and at the same time my ATI 5850 fan started at max rpm (a true hairdresser), jupiter bootcd seemed ok but OSX froze at some line of Voodoo HDA. I don't know if that means something, but I keep using the good old bootcd of august, until you release the las bootcd with ability to install P5Q-E components.

Xtro,

If the boot cds I released back in August works for you -- then it must be Netkas PC EFI v10.3 that's working for you. I haven't seen any info on the use of an ATI Radeon HD 5850. You should also read the notes I posted about the pciroot override setting in com.apple.Boot.plist in initrd.img/Extra for 132Mars or Preboot.dmg/Extra for 132Jupiter. Perhaps -pci0 is causing the problem of no video.

Also, why did you not use marsbooter to install Chameleon to your drive?

VoodooHDA.kext sometimes doesn't work from /Extra, and it can cause problems if you're loading VoodooHDA.kext from the boot cd.

The P5Q-E disc will come shortly, but it will be based on cdboot and NOT on isolinux.

Peace,

IanT

Thanks Ian, the first things first, hope you are lucky with your new job, that's important nowadays.

I have a Retail Snow Leopard 10.6.0 vanilla installed without chameleon in the hd, so I need to boot with your bootcds in order to select my operating system. This last two bootcds didn't work for me... mars booter gave no video after starting OSX and at the same time my ATI 5850 fan started at max rpm (a true hairdresser), jupiter bootcd seemed ok but OSX froze at some line of Voodoo HDA. I don't know if that means something, but I keep using the good old bootcd of august, until you release the las bootcd with ability to install P5Q-E components.

I`m with the same problem, VoodooHDA freezes in the boot process. For now I`m booting with Ian`s bootCD revision 2009-October-08. Also having this panic cpu 0 caller pmap_flush_tlbs () timeout.

Here`s what i did so far:

- Had a 10.6 install before, with that "hairdresser fan" problem in my 4850 but chameleon was working, sound and network too. After 10.6.2 update I couldn`t boot normally anymore, had to use Ian`s bootCD from Oct-08 in safe mode (-x string).

- I`m using Juzzi BIOS for P5Q-E revision 2001.

- Decided to start from scratch after many topics, failing installs and readings, and installed OS 10.6 again using Ian bootCD and a Flash drive with the Snow install. To enter installation i had to use -x.

- After install, booted in SL with -x (always!), set language, account, etc;

- Installed required kexts for Video (ATI4800Controller.kext with HD4580 dev-id 9442), network (IONetworkingFamily.kext), sound (VoodooHDA.kext v0.21) and OpenHaltRestart.kext to /System/Lybrary/Extensions.

- Reboot system. I Didn`t install bootloader in this step because Chameleon RC2 install was failing all the time in previous installs. I was very confused with install options such as Standard or EFI HFS and to select Extra or not in the install options. I did a research and found Chameleon RC3 installer by Dr Hurt here in the forum, http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=184766

This Installer don`t have options, just the boot file and an empty Extra folder.

- After install i created an Extensions folder under Extra and put this kexts into it:

fakesmc.kext v2.5 , latest release from Netkas

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

AHCIPortInjector.kext

- com.apple.Boot.plist in Extra with these strings:

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-pci0</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1680x1050x32</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>yes</string>

- Just these files in /Extra. No smbios.plist or Themes folder

- Tried to boot, got KP. Replaced boot file with Netkas` EFI PCI 10.4.1. KP again, VoodooHDA Freezing.

- Tried VoodooHDA v0.2.35 snd v0.2.43. WORSE KP!!! Got back to previous Voodoo.

Now I`ll take a look in this new MARS and JUPITER boots from Ian and see if I can figure something out.

Questions:

- I don`t have Themes folder in /Extra. Is this important?

- I don`t have smbios.plist in /Extra. Is this important? If so, do I need to customize one or use a generic?

- Do I have to add/remove something from com.apple.Boot.plist?

- I have a patched BIOS, do I need DSDT.aml anyway? I have no clue on how to custom one, I read a lot but can`t understand it very well...

- Is there any kext missing or in the wrong place?

For now that`s it I`ll post my progress.

Hey guys. Could you give me a guide please for safe update to 10.6.2 after Mars 132 Ian install on Asus P5Q Pro. I'm on 10.6.1 now and how to enable sleep? Thanks in advance

Specs are:

Asus P5q Pro

4 gig RAM

Nvidia 8800GT

Hey guys. Could you give me a guide please for safe update to 10.6.2 after Mars 132 Ian install on Asus P5Q Pro. I'm on 10.6.1 now and how to enable sleep?

I will need it too. I installed marsbooter on my hard drive, everything worked ok, but as I planned to install 10.6.2 update I started to take out some kexts in order to do a safe install, the problem is now I am not abble to boot even 10.6.0, I put fakesmc 2.5 and taked out sleepenabler but I didn't find dsmos.ketx (is that the same than DontStealThisMac.kext?)

I need waiting for the final bootcd and install again so I have a 10.6.2 working

I manage to install SL 10.6 at last.

I solved Voodoo problem by removing it and replace with a combination of HDAEnabler, HDEFEnabler and AD2000B kexts. Now I have sound working with no crack in startup and all listed in system information.

The boot problem was simply a matter of replacing Netkas EFI10.4 with 10.5!

Hey guys. Could you give me a guide please for safe update to 10.6.2 after Mars 132 Ian install on Asus P5Q Pro. I'm on 10.6.1 now and how to enable sleep? Thanks in advance

I will need it too.

Well, after SL sucessful install I tried AGAIN to update to 10.6.2 but had corrupted screen all the way. Tried many things posted here and in Netkas site and nothing worked. Many people are having problems with ATI 4800 series and 10.6.2.

Had to install SL again, but I had backup of everything so this time was easier. I'll stick with 10.6 until things are more stable. I'll try Ian's guide for P5Q-E when he releases the MARSBooter and see if I can update to 10.6.2.

For now I'll enjoy SL 10.6! This is the first time i have a stable install with all working!!!

Thanks to Ian, your guide was very important, learned many things!!

Keep up the good Work!!!

bomsom,

Ok, here goes...

1. How are you booting your SL install? CD? USB? You stated that you're using my 132-boot-mars disc dated back in October... However, that version was never qualified against the ASUS P5Q-E.

2. If you are using Juzzi's ASUS-P5Q-E-2001.ROM file, then you have everything I have -- Are your BIOS settings set the same, or similar to what I have listed in the PDF guide? Some have reported, that if you do not enter the correct memory timings and memory voltage, it can cause a lot of problems in regards to booting SL.

3. You installed about four kexts, for audio, video, network, and restart/shutdown functionality. If you are experiencing issues with a kext, for example VoodooHDA.kext (doesn't matter which version), have you tried remove that erroring kext, and see if it still causes a KP?

4. I never listed a step to install Chameleon 2.0 RC2 using Chameleon 2.0 RC2-r640.pkg. That package does NOT work for SL. Dr. Hurt's unsupported Chameleon 2.0 RC3-r658.pkg, is just that, unsupported. My PDF guide lists the steps on how to install Chameleon 2.0 RC3-r658 using my MARSBOOTER shell installation script.

5. The kexts you listed for /Extra/Extensions is good, it closely mimics my setup, with one exception. OpenHaltRestart.kext is not located in /System/Library/Extensions, but rather in /Extra/Extensions. Usually, the only kexts you want in /System/Library/Extensions are VoodooHDA.kext and skge.kext (Marvell 88E8001 PCI Gigabit Adapter). I do NOT use IONetworkingFamily.kext; skge.kext only works for the PCI based ethernet port and NOT the PCI-E based ethernet port.

6. The boot file (PC EFI v10.5) needs to be located in / (root).

7. Themes folder isn't necessarily required... if it's not present, PC EFI v10.5 will show up in place of the default Chameleon logo. Just keep the Themes folder in /Extra, it doesn't hurt to have it.

8. smbios.plist isn't necessarily required... You can just find a generic one... Some options that are set in smbios.plist are; serial number, model type, memory speed/amount and bank information, cpu speed, fsb speed, etc.

9. Again, dsdt.aml is completely optional. I just use it because I found that it makes my system stable. Some say, if you have a modded BIOS, you don't need dsdt.aml... So it's completely up to you. And yes, dsdt.aml is very complex.

10. I DO NOT have an ATI HD Radeon based on 48xx, 45xx, or 43xx. So I can't troubleshoot your configuration. I have an ATI 4650, but it's in my HTPC, and haven't had a chance to try it out. My guide also states that while the hardware configuration is my custom setup, you can substitute other components in-lieu of any components I listed.... Last but not least, your mileage may vary....

Hope this helps...

IanT

I`m with the same problem, VoodooHDA freezes in the boot process. For now I`m booting with Ian`s bootCD revision 2009-October-08. Also having this panic cpu 0 caller pmap_flush_tlbs () timeout.

Here`s what i did so far:

- Had a 10.6 install before, with that "hairdresser fan" problem in my 4850 but chameleon was working, sound and network too. After 10.6.2 update I couldn`t boot normally anymore, had to use Ian`s bootCD from Oct-08 in safe mode (-x string).

- I`m using Juzzi BIOS for P5Q-E revision 2001.

- Decided to start from scratch after many topics, failing installs and readings, and installed OS 10.6 again using Ian bootCD and a Flash drive with the Snow install. To enter installation i had to use -x.

- After install, booted in SL with -x (always!), set language, account, etc;

- Installed required kexts for Video (ATI4800Controller.kext with HD4580 dev-id 9442), network (IONetworkingFamily.kext), sound (VoodooHDA.kext v0.21) and OpenHaltRestart.kext to /System/Lybrary/Extensions.

- Reboot system. I Didn`t install bootloader in this step because Chameleon RC2 install was failing all the time in previous installs. I was very confused with install options such as Standard or EFI HFS and to select Extra or not in the install options. I did a research and found Chameleon RC3 installer by Dr Hurt here in the forum, http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=184766

This Installer don`t have options, just the boot file and an empty Extra folder.

- After install i created an Extensions folder under Extra and put this kexts into it:

fakesmc.kext v2.5 , latest release from Netkas

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

AHCIPortInjector.kext

- com.apple.Boot.plist in Extra with these strings:

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-pci0</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1680x1050x32</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>yes</string>

- Just these files in /Extra. No smbios.plist or Themes folder

- Tried to boot, got KP. Replaced boot file with Netkas` EFI PCI 10.4.1. KP again, VoodooHDA Freezing.

- Tried VoodooHDA v0.2.35 snd v0.2.43. WORSE KP!!! Got back to previous Voodoo.

Now I`ll take a look in this new MARS and JUPITER boots from Ian and see if I can figure something out.

Questions:

- I don`t have Themes folder in /Extra. Is this important?

- I don`t have smbios.plist in /Extra. Is this important? If so, do I need to customize one or use a generic?

- Do I have to add/remove something from com.apple.Boot.plist?

- I have a patched BIOS, do I need DSDT.aml anyway? I have no clue on how to custom one, I read a lot but can`t understand it very well...

- Is there any kext missing or in the wrong place?

For now that`s it I`ll post my progress.

Xtro,

Removing a kext should not have kept you from booting into SL.

Prior to updating to 10.6.2, you need to remove dsmos.kext and SleepEnabler.kext, and ensure that you are using fakesmc.kext (v2 or v2.5, FOR SL). If you need to use SleepEnabler.kext, make sure you are using Netkas' bin-patched SleepEnabler.kext for 10.6.2. Don't touch Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext in /S/L/E!

You can use either software update or even download the update manually from the web site.

I remember posting my findings on this...

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1328929

And to everyone... Please remember that google.com, InsanelyMac, and Netkas' blog are your friendly websites.

Peace,

IanT

I will need it too. I installed marsbooter on my hard drive, everything worked ok, but as I planned to install 10.6.2 update I started to take out some kexts in order to do a safe install, the problem is now I am not abble to boot even 10.6.0, I put fakesmc 2.5 and taked out sleepenabler but I didn't find dsmos.ketx (is that the same than DontStealThisMac.kext?)

I need waiting for the final bootcd and install again so I have a 10.6.2 working

bomsom,

Ok, here goes...

1. How are you booting your SL install? CD? USB? You stated that you're using my 132-boot-mars disc dated back in October... However, that version was never qualified against the ASUS P5Q-E.

2. If you are using Juzzi's ASUS-P5Q-E-2001.ROM file, then you have everything I have -- Are your BIOS settings set the same, or similar to what I have listed in the PDF guide? Some have reported, that if you do not enter the correct memory timings and memory voltage, it can cause a lot of problems in regards to booting SL.

3. You installed about four kexts, for audio, video, network, and restart/shutdown functionality. If you are experiencing issues with a kext, for example VoodooHDA.kext (doesn't matter which version), have you tried remove that erroring kext, and see if it still causes a KP?

4. I never listed a step to install Chameleon 2.0 RC2 using Chameleon 2.0 RC2-r640.pkg. That package does NOT work for SL. Dr. Hurt's unsupported Chameleon 2.0 RC3-r658.pkg, is just that, unsupported. My PDF guide lists the steps on how to install Chameleon 2.0 RC3-r658 using my MARSBOOTER shell installation script.

5. The kexts you listed for /Extra/Extensions is good, it closely mimics my setup, with one exception. OpenHaltRestart.kext is not located in /System/Library/Extensions, but rather in /Extra/Extensions. Usually, the only kexts you want in /System/Library/Extensions are VoodooHDA.kext and skge.kext (Marvell 88E8001 PCI Gigabit Adapter). I do NOT use IONetworkingFamily.kext; skge.kext only works for the PCI based ethernet port and NOT the PCI-E based ethernet port.

6. The boot file (PC EFI v10.5) needs to be located in / (root).

7. Themes folder isn't necessarily required... if it's not present, PC EFI v10.5 will show up in place of the default Chameleon logo. Just keep the Themes folder in /Extra, it doesn't hurt to have it.

8. smbios.plist isn't necessarily required... You can just find a generic one... Some options that are set in smbios.plist are; serial number, model type, memory speed/amount and bank information, cpu speed, fsb speed, etc.

9. Again, dsdt.aml is completely optional. I just use it because I found that it makes my system stable. Some say, if you have a modded BIOS, you don't need dsdt.aml... So it's completely up to you. And yes, dsdt.aml is very complex.

10. I DO NOT have an ATI HD Radeon based on 48xx, 45xx, or 43xx. So I can't troubleshoot your configuration. I have an ATI 4650, but it's in my HTPC, and haven't had a chance to try it out. My guide also states that while the hardware configuration is my custom setup, you can substitute other components in-lieu of any components I listed.... Last but not least, your mileage may vary....

Hope this helps...

IanT

Ian,

Thank you for the clarification. Although I read a lot of tutorials and definitions some of these things were still obscure to me, now everything is more clear. :)

Regarding some of the answers you posted:

1. Yes, I was using a CD of your previous version guide from October and it's working just fine. I know it was specific for P5Q and your hardware but it works for me. Now I'm booting directly from the HD as I posted before.

2. Some of the BIOS settings were different. I fixed it and things went smoother.

3. I removed the problematic Voodoo kexts. HDAEnabler, HDEFEnabler and AD2000B works better for me. I didn't test all the audio connectors but the main output is working at least, with no cracks.

4. I know Chameleon RC2 is not on your guide. I tried that before and then MB script wouldn't overwrite it at all. Had to format and reinstall SL again, but this time I used Dr Hurt's RC3 unsupported install. I was afraid to use your script because it was P5Q specific and I have P5Q-E.

5. I removed OpenHaltRestart from S/L/E.

6. OK, it's there.

7, 8 and 9. GREAT explanation!! Simple and clear, helped a LOT!!!!!! By the way I'm still not using DSDT.aml nor smbios.plist and the system is fine just like that.

10. ATI4850 is tricky in 10.6.2, lots of problems so I'll delay my update.

Thanks again for your patience and your guide!!!! :rolleyes:

isaias1983,

As I stated in earlier posts, the kext, AppleVIAATA.kext has IDE support for 88E6121, but has been untested. If it does not work, you must search for a SL compatible kext!!

Peace,

IanT

Hi Ian-T,

can you give a rough estimation on when you are going to upload the 132Mars and/or Jupiter and the Support Package for your P5Q-E guide? I was planning on giving the installation a first shot in next days and if you say it will still need signifcantyl more time, I will try it with the other versions of your 132 Discs.

Take as much time as you like but it would really be great if you could give a rough estimation on when you will find the time.

Thanks in advance. Keep up the great work!!

[edit] Has somebody with a P5Q-E tried it with the already available CDs and successfully finished the installation? What changes do I have to apply to get it done? Thanks [/edit]

[edit] Has somebody with a P5Q-E tried it with the already available CDs and successfully finished the installation? What changes do I have to apply to get it done? Thanks [/edit]

keyser,

I installed SL using a previous CDBoot from Ian T, as you can read from a few posts above. I used the new guide from november 15th as a guideline, specially for BIOS settings, this is very important!! You can see above what kexts I used too.

I updated to SL 10.6.1 successfully using the .dmg file I downloaded from Apple website and also made all the updates for the other apps directly from Software Update.

I didn't install 10.6.2 yet because there are some issues with Radeon HD4850, look around in the forum and you'll see some threads about it. I tried before and just could boot in safe mode, had to format and install SL again. You can see my system in the signature.

Good Luck!! ;)

:wacko: Sure hope he's OK - hasn't posted for the last 9 days .... -_- waiting for the P5Q-E Jupiter ISO :wacko:

I'm really curious what some of you guys have done to get this to work.

I've got a ASUS P5Q-E board (newly bought 2 months ago), with 3 SATA HDs, 1 IDE DVD-ROM, 4GB, and I have burned round about 15 CDs with various bootloaders ... trying to get my Retail OSX 10.6. onto any of the harddisks.

The only boot-CD that brings me near to installation procedure is the 132Jupiter version 112509-WOS,

all MARS-based version stop with a "isolinux checksum error". Oh, BTW - i've go the Bios patched with the juzzy bios....

But the Jupiter CD will bring me the ever-so-nagging "still waiting for root device" error. From the output, I can see a "Kext com.apple.driver.AppleVIAATA - failed to load (0xdc00800e) error and some more related to the same VIAATA driver.

So I guess the 132Jupiter has no IDE-drivers installed ? can anyone confirm ??

As I own 2 perfectly working DVD-writers, I'd hate to scrap them and buy new SATA drives....

Any ideas how to solve this ?

Thanks!!! :rolleyes:

Everyone,

First, good news, I've finally landed a job in the San Francisco Bay Area, and today is my first day.

Second, I apologize for not having update or upload the new guides, supporting files, and replying to the recent posts.

Give me until this weekend, and I'm sure I'll have all of what I said I would have up (e.g., Dual-Boot guides, 132Mars, 132Jupiter, etc.)

Lastly, please understand that updating to 10.6.2 works flawlessly on the ASUS P5Q and ASUS P5Q-E. However, you must remove dsmos.kext and use fakesmc.kext v2.5 (available from Netkas). If you do not remove dsmos.kext, you will encounter a kernel panic.

For those with P5Q variants (e.g., P5Q Deluxe, P5Q Premium, P5Q PRO Turbo, P5Q SE, P5Q SE Plus, P5Q Turbo, P5Q3, P5QC), the guides, image files, and accompanying support files are not guaranteed to work... your mileage will vary!!

For those who are using my guides as a template to get SL installed on different hardware... 10.6.2 removed support for Atom based processor, and as such, the kernel included with the update will not work... You will have to use modbin's kernel (patched with Atom support and hyperthreading support), or use the legacy kernel (10.6.1 or 10.6.0) instead.

DoctorEvil30564, I finally got my hands on an Intel D945GCLF2D, and I'm awaiting for my Zotac IONITX-A-U to come in as well. So, stay tuned for guides on both those motherboards! As for the Intel D945GCLF2D, I have added an nVidia GeForce 9400GT PCI Graphics Card, but I haven't even tried booting the SL install dvd. I am most likely going to mod CPU heatsink to support a fan, just to keep it cool... I also picked up an Antec I300-65 case for it. As for the Zotac IONITX-A-U, I will be replacing the included Wireless Mini PCI-E with a Dell Wireless 1505 (this wifi mini pci-e card is supported under SL natively). I'll be picking up a Mini-Box M350 enclosure...

Anyways, give me some time, and please please please be patient! Christmas is next week... and I'm so busy this week, it's not even funny!

Peace,

IanT

Ian,

congratulations to your new job in the best place on earth...wish I could live there. Hope you get it all sorted out with your updates/guides....anxious to get SL running on my P5Q-E.

After my last post, I did go and bought a new SATA DVD drive...solved the problem of boot-errors...but now I'm stuck again with some video errors ... SL seems to go ahead loading itself into RAM drives...but then the screen gets totally crazy with video pixels in white, no status messages to be seen and some strange "klonk" sounds from the harddrives, as if they were put to stop by the system. Then everything freezes.

I've got a HD4670 ATI card... and have seen that KEXTS are hard to find for this videochip.

Anyone have the same card - and is successful ??

Regards,

Data :D

Hi there!

Got my P5Q with my Quad Core 6600 cpu working with Snow Leopard thanks to your guides, Ian! Thanks alot! I've been trying all the different distros that can be found here and there, but it wasn't until I stumbled upon your guides it all started working!

I've got some smaller problems though... And, one of them is that my dvd-player doesn't recognize standard audio cds. It's strange, cause data-dvds are working as they should.

Anyone's got a tip for me?

Thanks!

/Henrik

• 2 weeks later...
I manage to install SL 10.6 at last.

I solved Voodoo problem by removing it and replace with a combination of HDAEnabler, HDEFEnabler and AD2000B kexts. Now I have sound working with no crack in startup and all listed in system information.

Hi bomsom!

Can You please provide links or attach kexts you are refering to?

I also have problems with the sound so hopefully I'll resolve them using the same kexts You are using.

One more question:

Are You booting 32bit or 64bit kernel?