PDF GUIDES: Retail Snow Leopard Install for ASUS P5Q & P5Q-E

Ian T

308 posts in this topic

Just an update and to thank IanT somemore for his work.

I've got a fully functioning (other than sleep/restart/shutdown issues) Snow Leopard on my system. And it also updates itself from Apple. :)

Now my question is.. what can or do I use this Hackintosh for? :)

Specs are

E8400@3.6Ghz

Asus P5QPro motherboard

8GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz Ram

HSI ATI HD4850 512MB card

1 TB WD10EADS

I got around the trouble of dual booting etc by having separate drives for Mac and Win 7, and storing the boot order in my 2 BIOS O.C. profiles, mainly because Win7 was installed with SATA in RAID mode and Mac requires AHCI.

The following were additional kexts that I used

PS2 kext to get my Logitech wireless PS2 KB/Mouse to work (so I don't have to use a USB kb)

ATI kext to get my ATI to work without the annoying jerk

Realtek kext to get my $2 RTL8139 card to work

VoodooHDA that came with the Boot-132-Mars IanT disk

Other things to do

Proof of concept to get the new apple Magic Mouse + wireless keyboard + bluetooth to work

Figure out how to do fix shutdown/restart to work properly.

JSamson,

Soon! Very soon!

Peace,

IanT

Great guide, after running the scripts everything works perfectly for me! Thanks!

Do you have any idea when you'll be releasing your Dual Boot (Snow Leopard + Windows 7) guide? I couldn't seem to get that working so I'm still using the boot disk when I want to boot OSX.

dodgyblue,

So you installed Windows 7 with SATA set to RAID and you're using RAID drivers...? Hrm... Interesting. What's the benefit of using a single drive for RAID, or did you leave something out from your configuration? :(

If you install Chameleon 2.0 RC3-r658 either by using my marsbooter shell script, or by following various guides found on here and on google, you can eliminate the need of using O.C. Profiles for OS selection. The determination of which hard drive to boot from first, is under "Hard Disk Drives", and is listed by '1st Drive' in the boot menu of BIOS setup. The Snow Leopard install, where Chameleon 2.0 RC3-r658 + Netkas' PC EFI v10.5 are installed, must be the first drive as listed under "Hard Disk Drives" in the boot menu of BIOS setup. You can then either add/remove the timeout key from com.apple.Boot.plist, so that you can manually select the OS you wish to boot.

I know that this setup/method works on my ASUS P5Q:

SATA Port 1 = Snow Leopard 10.6.1 with Chameleon 2.0 RC3-r658 & Netkas' PC EFI v10.5

SATA Port 2 = Windows 7 Ultimate x64

SATA Port 3 = Sony Optiarc AD-7240s DVD Writer

- Boot Menu -

Hard Disk Drives

1st Drive = Snow Leopard 10.6.1 with Chameleon 2.0 RC3-r658 & Netkas' PC EFI v10.5

2nd Drive = Windows 7 Ultimate x64

As for the kexts you had to go find online, I have updated my image file as well as the support pack to include a PS2 Controller kext, and some preliminary ATI kexts, especially since Netkas' released beta instructions on how to get Radeons 46x0/45x0/43x0 working under SL 10.6.2 beta, which has drivers for the aforementioned Radeons. Though, it requires a beta boot file, and some kext editing.

As for Bluetooth, you can pick up a D-Link DBT-120, with a revision of "H/W:B2" or later, which is natively supported in SL. See this link for more info, http://support.apple.com/kb/TA27121. With that said, the Magic Mouse and Apple Wireless Keyboard should work great with this BT adapter.

I'm using a Netgear GA311 Gigabit Network adapter that's based on the Realtek RTL8169S chip, so it's natively supported in SL.

So, you can use this hackintosh for relatively easy video editing, safe web surfing, etc.

Peace,

IanT

Just an update and to thank IanT somemore for his work.

I've got a fully functioning (other than sleep/restart/shutdown issues) Snow Leopard on my system. And it also updates itself from Apple. :D

Now my question is.. what can or do I use this Hackintosh for? :)

Specs are

E8400@3.6Ghz

Asus P5QPro motherboard

8GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz Ram

HSI ATI HD4850 512MB card

1 TB WD10EADS

I got around the trouble of dual booting etc by having separate drives for Mac and Win 7, and storing the boot order in my 2 BIOS O.C. profiles, mainly because Win7 was installed with SATA in RAID mode and Mac requires AHCI.

The following were additional kexts that I used

PS2 kext to get my Logitech wireless PS2 KB/Mouse to work (so I don't have to use a USB kb)

ATI kext to get my ATI to work without the annoying jerk

Realtek kext to get my $2 RTL8139 card to work

VoodooHDA that came with the Boot-132-Mars IanT disk

Other things to do

Proof of concept to get the new apple Magic Mouse + wireless keyboard + bluetooth to work

Figure out how to do fix shutdown/restart to work properly.

ellobo82,

If you're using an IDE CD/DVD drive, the boot-132-mars disc has to be updated to include specific kexts for the Marvell 88SE6111 IDE controller. You can grab that kext from here, http://my.ukrweb.info/files/AppleVIAATA6111_6145.kext_.zip.

Or you can forgo editing/updating the boot-132-mars disc and just pick up a cheap IDE to SATA converter... :)

Peace,

IanT

First of all thank you for this great guide!

Unluckly after updating the BIOS I am unable to boot from the "boot-132-mars disc"...I've got an IDE CD/DVD drive...can that be the problem??

Thanks for your reply!

i have a p5q-e, 8500cpu, 4gb ram, gtx260 and everything works (except sleep but it looks like thats a know issue here).

had to flash with a different bios (differen mainboard) install the rj45 kext from another thread for networking but thats all. writing from snow leopard now ;-)

Could You Tell Me, please, what exactly kexts did You use for onboard network cards (Marvell8056 & 8001)?

I have the same board and tried editing Apple.Yukon2 kext to enable 8056 but didn't succeed.

mmesh,

Download the SKGE kext from here:

http://stellarola.tumblr.com/post/165429070/prepare-yourself

Thanks to Stellarola!

Peace,

IanT

Could You Tell Me, please, what exactly kexts did You use for onboard network cards (Marvell8056 & 8001)?

I have the same board and tried editing Apple.Yukon2 kext to enable 8056 but didn't succeed.

If you're using an IDE CD/DVD drive, the boot-132-mars disc has to be updated to include specific kexts for the Marvell 88SE6111 IDE controller. You can grab that kext from here, http://my.ukrweb.info/files/AppleVIAATA6111_6145.kext_.zip.

Or you can forgo editing/updating the boot-132-mars disc and just pick up a cheap IDE to SATA converter... ;)

I think my problem is ide dvd, because I get "still waiting for root device" infinitely.

I don't have a mac to update the mars disk. You don't happen to have one with marvell drives on in built already?

I think my problem is ide dvd, because I get "still waiting for root device" infinitely.

I don't have a mac to update the mars disk. You don't happen to have one with marvell drives on in built already?

Nevermind. I had no sata dvd or ide-sata adapter, but I thought using and usb-dvd and I'm getting forward!!!

Trying to install on P5QC with mod bios, E6400, 4GB DDR2-800, Radeon 3450. Will come back for further advice.

tommyw,

See attached...

About 132Mars-Green.iso:

ISOLINUX v3.83

Netkas' PC EFI v10.5

Added Kexts:

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

AppleVIAATA.kext (with Marvell/VIA/ICH9 SATA/IDE support)

VoodooPS2Controller.kext

Removed:

dsdt.aml based on ASUS P5Q

Peace,

IanT

Nevermind. I had no sata dvd or ide-sata adapter, but I thought using and usb-dvd and I'm getting forward!!!

Trying to install on P5QC with mod bios, E6400, 4GB DDR2-800, Radeon 3450. Will come back for further advice.

132MARS_Green.iso.zip

Thks Ian T for your wonderful work, i am really looking forward to your PDF Guide for ATI Radeon HD48xx Based Graphics, i got an asus p5q pro motherboard with an ide dwd rom and ati 4870 graphic card...and i found myself in trouble, this hardware combination really sucks, ...after many nights trying to install SL i gave up hoping in one of your guides..i trust in you!!! i will check your post periodically and next days i will go in a better explanation of my install isssues..

THKS!!

hi lanT,

first of all - thank you so much for this guide! I've tried to install (Snow-)Leopard on my PC several times without any success - with your guide I got it! :D I don't know exactly why it works with your boot cd, I've tried this method before with boot cd's from other threads, but none of them worked for my Asus P5Q Pro.

Nevertheless, I now have a (almost) fully working Snow Leopard on my Asus P5Q Pro! The one thing that doesn't work is the Sleep Mode (as mentioned several times in this thread), but I can live with that!

For everybody else who wants to install SL on an Asus P5Q Pro with this guide, some additional hints:

First of all my specs:

Asus P5Q Pro

Intel Q9550 Quad Core

Nvidia GeForce GTX 285

8 GB RAM

all SATA: 2*1 TB HD, 1*250GB HD (OSX is on this one), 1 Combo Drive (DVD, Burner)

During the OSX install process, I only had the 250GB HD and the ComboDrive connected (HD on first SATA Port!). I reconnected the other HDs after the installation. One of them is my Windows/Linux HD, the other one is for Data. I can now boot all 3 OS's with the Chameleon Bootloader (love it!!! :o).

To get the onboard Sound and LAN to work, I had to install two additional kext files (added them as attachments to this post). With this kext File even my SPDIF works! *happy*

The automatic 10.6.1 update made some problems. I had to install it manually. You can download the update from Apple directly (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL930).

Thanks again for this guide! :D

p5qpro_kext_sound_lan.zip

Hi

I'm trying to run SL for a week now... I was able to boot and install with your 132mars boot disk and installation was successfull, however I can't boot without boot CD...

I booted and installed with iso from this your thread http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=189299 so I didn't uncheck language translations in installation then I run marsboot script from actual iso on this thread... Also I don't have modified bios (I would love to avoid it), could that be a problem? I'm attaching screenshot of my KP, I can't find out anything in it :D

I have OS X 10.5.8 successfully running...

My specs:

ASUS P5Q-E

Intel Q9450 quad core

GeForce 8800GT 512MB

4GB 1066 RAM

Thanks in advance!

post-323685-1257361030_thumb.jpg

tommyw,

See attached...

About 132Mars-Green.iso:

ISOLINUX v3.83

Netkas' PC EFI v10.5

Added Kexts:

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

AppleVIAATA.kext (with Marvell/VIA/ICH9 SATA/IDE support)

VoodooPS2Controller.kext

Removed:

dsdt.aml based on ASUS P5Q

Peace,

IanT

Hey Ian,

Great work with this guide here, really really helped me out. Only one thing, the GREEN BootCD you've got here doesn't work for me because the com.boot.plist specifies 1920x1200 resolution and it makes my monitor go blank.

The older BootCD gets a "Still Waiting For Root Device" error, even on the Intel SATA controller but I can see from the disc spinning and the HDD initialising that the GREEN BootCD has loaded up to the Snow Leopard installation for me, I just can't see it...lol...

Could you do a smaller resolution, say 1024x768 or 1280x1024 just to keep it a bit safer for smaller monitors?

Kind Regards,

Charlie

Quick update, I used the Chameleon Graphics Mode flag to boot at 1024x768 and I'm now installing the Retail Snow Leopard disc thanks to your GREEN BootCD. :)

I just need a more permanent fix that blindly typing the Graphics Mode each time I wanna install it. :(

Thanks again for all the hard work, I can now add Snow Leopard to my Retail Vanilla installs!

PS: What did you use to make the BootCD, any chance of a Tutorial or have I just been blind and missed it?

riffmaker,

the kp might be due to using my dsdt.aml as included with the marsbooter shell script. Be sure to replace dsdt.aml with your own in /Extra.

If you are using your dsdt.aml, and it still kp's, you may need to flash your bios.

I am using a flashed bios and dsdt.aml. Most say that if I'm using a patched bios, I shouldn't need the use of dsdt.aml.

Anyways, I am using Juzzi's Patched bios', and haven't had an issue.

Peace,

IanT

Hi

I'm trying to run SL for a week now... I was able to boot and install with your 132mars boot disk and installation was successfull, however I can't boot without boot CD...

I booted and installed with iso from this your thread http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=189299 so I didn't uncheck language translations in installation then I run marsboot script from actual iso on this thread... Also I don't have modified bios (I would love to avoid it), could that be a problem? I'm attaching screenshot of my KP, I can't find out anything in it :D

I have OS X 10.5.8 successfully running...

My specs:

ASUS P5Q-E

Intel Q9450 quad core

GeForce 8800GT 512MB

4GB 1066 RAM

Thanks in advance!

post-323685-1257361030_thumb.jpg

kup,

yeah I can create a lower res version. gimme a few hours, I'm out and about without mobile access on the MacBook pro.

you could always edit the iso using UltraIso on Windows, or following my guide in the PDF.

Peace,

IanT

Quick update, I used the Chameleon Graphics Mode flag to boot at 1024x768 and I'm now installing the Retail Snow Leopard disc thanks to your GREEN BootCD. ;)

I just need a more permanent fix that blindly typing the Graphics Mode each time I wanna install it. :P

Thanks again for all the hard work, I can now add Snow Leopard to my Retail Vanilla installs!

PS: What did you use to make the BootCD, any chance of a Tutorial or have I just been blind and missed it?

riffmaker,

the kp might be due to using my dsdt.aml as included with the marsbooter shell script. Be sure to replace dsdt.aml with your own in /Extra.

If you are using your dsdt.aml, and it still kp's, you may need to flash your bios.

I am using a flashed bios and dsdt.aml. Most say that if I'm using a patched bios, I shouldn't need the use of dsdt.aml.

Anyways, I am using Juzzi's Patched bios', and haven't had an issue.

Peace,

IanT

Hi

I think I've found the problem. My computer was always booting from old 10.5.8 Leopard partition with Chameleon RC2 bootloader, so no matter what I put inside my Snow Leo partition it always booted the same :whistle: I downloaded Netkas's 10.4 boot file and replaced to my Leopard partition and SL then booted without boot CD... However my graphic card (8800GT 512mb) was unrecognized whereas when booted from your CD it was recognized and graphic performance was even better than on 10.5.8

So now I need your help to force computer to boot from Snow Leopard partition, or at least modified bootloader on Leopard partition so my graphic card is working properly... I tried to set booting in EFI partitionbut it seems that I have bootloader installed only on system partiton and nothing on EFI... I don't know very much about this so if you could point me to right direction I would really appreciate it.

Thanks for your great work and help!

Need some help, using the boot cd from the first post (the latest updated one im guessing)

I get through all the stages, but when loading the SL retail disc img it opens up with the Apple logo and the little spinning loading image but after about 30 seconds i just get a no load symbol?

Any suggestions?

Specs:

Asus P5Q Pro

Intel Q9400

2GB Corsair Dominator DDR2

Nvidia 9800GT 512mb

Samsung F3 1TB

kup,

As you know, the kexts used in Leopard aren't compatible with Snow Leopard.

If you are using one drive with a Leopard partition and a Snow Leopard partition, you have to use /Extra/10.5, /Extra/10.6 and /Extra/Common.

So, even if you used the kernel flag rd=disk#s# (your SL BSD name/partition), it may not boot correctly.

Read the Boothelp.txt file which is under docs in the Chameleon 2.0 RC3-r658 archive.

Once you've read boothelp.txt, and you have implemented the directory structures listed above, you can add the following to com.apple.Boot.plist under "Kernel Flags."

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>rd=disk0s2</string>

If for some reason it does not work, add "/dev/":

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>rd=/dev/disk0s2</string>

This forces/specifies which partition/volume to boot from.

Hope this helps...

Peace,

IanT

Hi

I think I've found the problem. My computer was always booting from old 10.5.8 Leopard partition with Chameleon RC2 bootloader, so no matter what I put inside my Snow Leo partition it always booted the same :) I downloaded Netkas's 10.4 boot file and replaced to my Leopard partition and SL then booted without boot CD... However my graphic card (8800GT 512mb) was unrecognized whereas when booted from your CD it was recognized and graphic performance was even better than on 10.5.8

So now I need your help to force computer to boot from Snow Leopard partition, or at least modified bootloader on Leopard partition so my graphic card is working properly... I tried to set booting in EFI partitionbut it seems that I have bootloader installed only on system partiton and nothing on EFI... I don't know very much about this so if you could point me to right direction I would really appreciate it.

Thanks for your great work and help!

kup,

As you know, the kexts used in Leopard aren't compatible with Snow Leopard.

If you are using one drive with a Leopard partition and a Snow Leopard partition, you have to use /Extra/10.5, /Extra/10.6 and /Extra/Common.

So, even if you used the kernel flag rd=disk#s# (your SL BSD name/partition), it may not boot correctly.

Read the Boothelp.txt file which is under docs in the Chameleon 2.0 RC3-r658 archive.

Once you've read boothelp.txt, and you have implemented the directory structures listed above, you can add the following to com.apple.Boot.plist under "Kernel Flags."

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>rd=disk0s2</string>

If for some reason it does not work, add "/dev/":

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>rd=/dev/disk0s2</string>

This forces/specifies which partition/volume to boot from.

Hope this helps...

Peace,

IanT

Well, before you posted I just copied entries from Snow boot.plist to Leo boot.plist and copied all kexts, and it is working now, but it's quite a dirty solution :hysterical: What if I modify or delete Leo partition?

I used "Default Partition" key... Is the rd flag different? Which one should I use?

It's working fine even without DSDT.aml and with original 2101 bios, 64 bit also :gun: Only problem are occasional mouse lags...

I don't know if it's change in SL, but in 10.5.8 if I pressed F8 for spaces, hovered mouse over some space and let F8 off I was taken to space I was hovering over... Now it doesn't work :) Is there something I can do about it?

Thank you very much Ian T for your work and great help! And also everybody else (I can't thank everybody whose posts helped me 'cos I've read so many topics and post that I can't even remember ;) )

You should add note about my problem in your guide for noobs like me who has bootloader in another partition ;)

I finally found what prevented sleep on my P5Q (computer would go to sleep for about 5 seconds and wake up after that). The log gave "successful sleep" and "successful wake up" because of USB. In my case the reason was USB connection to my UPS - so UPS was sending the signal that was waking up the computer. After unplugging UPS sleep works OK!!!

I also have Apple keyboard connected to PC and Logitech mouse plugged into the keyboard.

My specs are: P5Q, E7400, XFX NVIDIA 9800GT, all HDD and ODD SATA

riffmaker,

Settings for Spaces is under System Preferences "Exposé & Spaces."

It doesn't matter which one you use.... rd is a bit too cryptic for newbies.

IanT

Well, before you posted I just copied entries from Snow boot.plist to Leo boot.plist and copied all kexts, and it is working now, but it's quite a dirty solution :D What if I modify or delete Leo partition?

I used "Default Partition" key... Is the rd flag different? Which one should I use?

It's working fine even without DSDT.aml and with original 2101 bios, 64 bit also :D Only problem are occasional mouse lags...

I don't know if it's change in SL, but in 10.5.8 if I pressed F8 for spaces, hovered mouse over some space and let F8 off I was taken to space I was hovering over... Now it doesn't work :hysterical: Is there something I can do about it?

Thank you very much Ian T for your work and great help! And also everybody else (I can't thank everybody whose posts helped me 'cos I've read so many topics and post that I can't even remember :( )

You should add note about my problem in your guide for noobs like me who has bootloader in another partition :D

mikekupr,

are you able to restart/shutdown after waking from sleep?

Thanks,

IanT

I finally found what prevented sleep on my P5Q (computer would go to sleep for about 5 seconds and wake up after that). The log gave "successful sleep" and "successful wake up" because of USB. In my case the reason was USB connection to my UPS - so UPS was sending the signal that was waking up the computer. After unplugging UPS sleep works OK!!!

I also have Apple keyboard connected to PC and Logitech mouse plugged into the keyboard.

My specs are: P5Q, E7400, XFX NVIDIA 9800GT, all HDD and ODD SATA