PDF GUIDES: Retail Snow Leopard Install for ASUS P5Q & P5Q-E

Ian T

308 posts in this topic

First of all I want to thank IanT for this guide, I thougt installing a retail OSX was going to be very difficult and I used mostly distros. I have tried this guide for installing Snow in my P5Q-E motherboard into an external USB drive and worked very well, all done from first start, I don't have network nor sound, I tried with the kexts I used in Leopard but didn't work. I have seen that you are going to release a new mars booter that will have more kexts for the Asus P5Q-E, so do I better wait for the release or I can try with the "old" mars disc for my definitive installation?

sam_123,

Thank you!

You don't need the new package really. The new boot discs I'm releasing have been updated, so that if you need to install SL again, it will have added benefits. As far as dsdt.aml and smbios.plist goes, it just allows loading of both files, for use whilst installing SL from the original install dvd. And yes, you most definitely should use your own dsdt.aml and smbios.plist.

I actually added a question in the marsbooter script that asks if you want to copy dsdt.aml and smbios.plist.

I have found that using the combination of a modified BIOS and dsdt.aml, my systems are a lot more stable. I know a lot of other users, will disagree!

smbios.plist allows you to add information to DMI, such as the serial number, type and speed of ram, etc.

Peace!

IanT

Hi Ian - Awesome guide...one of the best i found for P5Q. I have on-board NIC (Attansic), Audio and Graphics working great. I can shutdown/restart no issues..Sleep does not work right..I used your old Mars bootcd and support package. I upgraded to 10.6.2 with new sleepenabler from nektas..

Why do i need the new package which generates dsdt.aml and smbios.plist...How will adding both of this will help me?

Can i use the dsdt.aml and smbios.plist that will be bundled for my P5Q?

Xtro,

No network or sound huh??

Did you download my ASUS P5Q-E guide?? :D

Download the attached kexts, skge.kext.zip and VoodooHDA.kext.zip, and extract them to your Desktop. Replace, iant with your username!

In terminal do the following:

sudo cp -R /Users/iant/Desktop/skge.kext /System/Library/Extensions
sudo -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/skge.kext
sudo kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/skge.kext
sudo cp -R /Users/iant/Desktop/VoodooHDA.kext /System/Library/Extensions
sudo -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/VoodooHDA.kext
sudo kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/VoodooHDA.kext

Plug your network cable, closest to the Coaxial SPDIF port, the other network port isn't supported by skge.kext.

Hope this helps!

Peace,

IanT

First of all I want to thank IanT for this guide, I thougt installing a retail OSX was going to be very difficult and I used mostly distros. I have tried this guide for installing Snow in my P5Q-E motherboard into an external USB drive and worked very well, all done from first start, I don't have network nor sound, I tried with the kexts I used in Leopard but didn't work. I have seen that you are going to release a new mars booter that will have more kexts for the Asus P5Q-E, so do I better wait for the release or I can try with the "old" mars disc for my definitive installation?

VoodooHDA.kext.zip

skge.kext.zip

Thanks Ian, yes I followed the P5Q-E guide, but not until the end xD. I was trying if it worked into an old 10gb USB drive, and it did! I tried to install the kexts for LAN and Audio with Kexthelper as I did in Leopard, maybe this was the problem. Now I will wait for your new bootcd and will proceed with the definitive install on the internal HD of retail snow leopard, and following ALL the guide ;)

Xtro,

I should have the updated image files uploaded later tonight...

Until then, you can use the existing versions, and then just add the two kexts. It shouldn't be a problem... :D

Peace,

IanT

Thanks Ian, yes I followed the P5Q-E guide, but not until the end xD. I was trying if it worked into an old 10gb USB drive, and it did! I tried to install the kexts for LAN and Audio with Kexthelper as I did in Leopard, maybe this was the problem. Now I will wait for your new bootcd and will proceed with the definitive install on the internal HD of retail snow leopard, and following ALL the guide ;)

sam_132,

I've been using PC Wiz's outdated DSDT Patcher GUI, but removed the old version of iasl, and replaced it with a more recent version.

You can still use that program to create a DSDT.aml file. As for smbios.plist, I just used a generic one and added in my own entries.

I'll try to write something up later... but for now, you can find info on InsanelyMac or google.

Peace,

IanT

Hi Ian,

Can you give us pointers for creating our own DSDT.aml and smbios.plist?

Hi Ian,

I did a first install that was working (kinda, had some problems), I followed many guides including yours, mixing a lot of solutions, made a lot of mistakes like every beginner. After update to 10.6.2 the system crashed. Manage to boot with bootCD in safe mode but couldn't solve the problem.

So, I reinstalled Snow Leopard using a install image from a partition created in the HD and I'm waiting for your new release of P5Q-E boot CD to complete it!!!

Right now I have system running OK with graphics (HD4850) and LAN working, but I'm still booting from a previous release of your boot132, no updates, plain 10.6. I still don't know how to configure DSDT.aml and smbios.plist, hope I'll do it right this time!

Thank you for your work man!

Firstly a big thank you to Ian,

Okay so I've encountered a problem... I managed to get the OS installed however, when trying to boot (for the first time or anytime) it gets to

"Waiting for DSMOS"

** Device in slot: SLOT--1 *

and then my display just gets garbled and I can't see or do anything, so I'm forced to restart...

I'm convinced this is because of my ATI 4550... any ideas?

edit: It seems that I have just broken my Install completely, so now when I try to re-install using the Mars Boot cd (patched with the Boot file from netkas and GraphicsEnabler), i get stuck at the same point "waiting for DSMOS" followed by "Device in slot--1" and then a garbled/unreadable display.

So basically, I can't even re-install the OS again...

Andy4life,

Remove dsmos.kext from /Extra/Extensions or /System/Library/Extensions and ensure you have fakesmc.kext version 2 (from Netkas) in /Extra/Extensions or /S/L/E.

You must use Netkas' beta booter file, to use a 4550, which is available on his site, and not Netkas' PC EFI v10.5 release.

Run this command, in Terminal, to find determine your pciroot value:

ioreg -l | grep -15 "AppleACPIPCI\ " | grep UID

Once you've determine what your pciroot value is, add it to kernel flags. It will be either -pci0 or -pci1.

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-pci0</string>

-or-

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-pci1</string>

This tells the booter the pciroot value, and I believe this is where it identifies the graphics card and inputs the necessary info.

Hope this helps...

Peace,

IanT

Firstly a big thank you to Ian,

Okay so I've encountered a problem... I managed to get the OS installed however, when trying to boot (for the first time or anytime) it gets to

"Waiting for DSMOS"

** Device in slot: SLOT--1 *

and then my display just gets garbled and I can't see or do anything, so I'm forced to restart...

I'm convinced this is because of my ATI 4550... any ideas?

edit: It seems that I have just broken my Install completely, so now when I try to re-install using the Mars Boot cd (patched with the Boot file from netkas and GraphicsEnabler), i get stuck at the same point "waiting for DSMOS" followed by "Device in slot--1" and then a garbled/unreadable display.

So basically, I can't even re-install the OS again...

Andy4life,

Remove dsmos.kext from /Extra/Extensions or /System/Library/Extensions and ensure you have fakesmc.kext version 2 (from Netkas) in /Extra/Extensions or /S/L/E.

You must use Netkas' beta booter file, to use a 4550, which is available on his site, and not Netkas' PC EFI v10.5 release.

Run this command, in Terminal, to find determine your pciroot value:

ioreg -l | grep -15 "AppleACPIPCI\ " | grep UID

Once you've determine what your pciroot value is, add it to kernel flags. It will be either -pci0 or -pci1.

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-pci0</string>

-or-

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-pci1</string>

This tells the booter the pciroot value, and I believe this is where it identifies the graphics card and inputs the necessary info.

Hope this helps...

Peace,

IanT

Ian,

Thanks for your quick reply!

Unfortunately I can't remove any of those kext files you mentioned or run ioreg because I can't get the os to re-install on my Mars boot CD however i have netkas' bootfile and i still can't get passed the garbled display to be able to install SL.

I was able to add the netkas boot file and my own boot plist when i had working leopard install, however i replaced that install with the SL install (when it actually worked) and I have none of those now... except Windows 7 lol

Any other ideas?

UPDATED ON NOVEMBER 15, 2009 @ 11:32PM PST

.:Latest Info:.

1. I am still in the midst of finalizing the new dual-boot guides, so please be patient while I add the final touches.
  2. I will release the updated 132Mars and 132Jupiter boot discs tomorrow; please note that dsmos.kext has been removed.
  3. I have updated the ASUS P5Q Guide, and have finally released the ASUS P5Q-E Guide; see below for details!

Updated ASUS P5Q Guide by IanT - 20091115, which is available here 9.87MB:

http://www.mediafire.com/?iige50xduig

New ASUS P5Q-E Guide by IanT - 20091115-2, which is available here 9.87MB:

http://www.mediafire.com/?5mgomji3yyh

Revision History for ASUS P5Q Guide by IanT - 20091115:

November 15, 2009

• Added Table of Contents
  • Removed outdated InsanelyMac link from Disclaimer
  • Updated Appendix B; replaced digital pictures with screen captures
  • Updated Appendix D
  • Updated list of kexts included in 132Mars, 132Jupiter, and Marsbooter Shell Script

1. AHCIPortInjector.kext (with ICH10 D/D0 and ICH10R device-ids added by IanT)

2. AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

3. AppleVIATA.kext (with Marvell 88SE6111 and 88SE6145 support)

4. ElliottForceLegacyRTC.kext

5. fakesmc.kext (version 2)

6. IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

7. NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

8. OpenHaltRestart.kext

9. PlatformUUID.kext

10. VoodooPS2Controller.kext

Revision History for ASUS P5Q-E Guide by IanT - 20091115-2:

November 15, 2009

• Added Table of Contents
  • Update/Flash BIOS (found and corrected filename and version of ASUS P5Q-E ROM)
  • Removed outdated InsanelyMac link from Disclaimer
  • Updated hardware configuration information
  • Updated Appendix B; replaced digital pictures with screen captures
  • Updated Appendix D
  • Updated list of kexts included in 132Mars, 132Jupiter, and Marsbooter Shell Script

1. AHCIPortInjector.kext (with ICH10 D/D0 and ICH10R device-ids added by IanT)

2. AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

3. AppleVIATA.kext (with Marvell 88SE6111 and 88SE6145 support)

4. ElliottForceLegacyRTC.kext

5. fakesmc.kext (version 2)

6. IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

7. NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

8. OpenHaltRestart.kext

9. PlatformUUID.kext

10. skge.kext (with Marvell 88E8001 support)

11. VoodooPS2Controller.kext

tonyho,

The ASUS P5QL PRO uses an Atheros based Gigabit PCI-E Controller.

Download AttansicL1eEthernet.kext from here:

http://stellarola.tumblr.com/post/165429070/prepare-yourself

Copy it into /Systems/Library/Extensions

Open up Terminal:

cd /System/Library/Extensions
sudo chown -R root:wheel AttansicL1eEthernet.kext
sudo kextload -v AttansicL1eEthernet.kext

I don't guarantee that this will work -- I instead opted to disable the on-board LAN port and instead dropped in a Realtek RTL8169S gigabit ethernet pci adapter, because it is natively supported under SL.

Also, make sure you are using Netkas' PC EFI v10.5 to alleviate any issues, with regards to Graphics... My GeForce GTS 250 SC isn't correctly identified under Apple System Profiler, it's listed as a generic card, but it makes no difference. You can search google or thru the forums here, and find a better solution so that it shows/says the correct name of the installed graphics card (if that matters a lot to you). To me, it's just aesthetics, if it works, cool -- why worry about what it says...?

And remember, google is your friend!

Peace,

IanT

Hi IanT, thanks for all the work, I got everything working fine, even updated to 10.6.2 using the original method with cd boot, my question is how do I use cd boot from the original post on a USB flash drive instead to boot from. I tried copying the files from cd boot to the usb drive and it won't boot even though I changed boot priority in the bios. Thanks

Hi IanT, thanks for all the work, I got everything working fine, even updated to 10.6.2 using the original method with cd boot, my question is how do I use cd boot from the original post on a USB flash drive instead to boot from. I tried copying the files from cd boot to the usb drive and it won't boot even though I changed boot priority in the bios. Thanks

In order to make the USB drive bootable you will need to install the Chameleon Boot Loader on that drive. Assuming you are using Ians Mars boot cd you can find Chameleon in SUPPORT/SOURCES/Chameleon 2.0 RC3-r658/Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658-bin.tar.gz. Extract that file to your desktop. There is a README file in the docs folder that has instructions on how to install it. The main thing to change is the "/dev/disk0s2" and rdisk0 etc. to whatever drive is your usb drive. Use the command "diskutil list" (without the quotes) and replace /dev/disk0s2 and rdisk0 etc. with your usb drive information. If you've already copied the boot file from the cd you probably won't need the last step that reads:

- Install boot to the partition's root directory:

sudo cp boot /

But if you do need to copy the boot file don't run the command "as is" or else it will copy it to your hard drive. It will be something more like

sudo cp boot /Volumes/USBdrive/ or whatever the path to your usb drive is. You can always just copy and paste the boot file using finder.

I installed using old bootcd Snow Leopard in the internal hard drive without installing chameleon bootloader, so I still need mars bootcd. When the new Mars BootCD is released, is it safe to update to 10.6.2? I think yes because fakesmc_v2 and the removal of dsmos, but do I have to edit manually something for an Asus P5Q-E board?

I installed using old bootcd Snow Leopard in the internal hard drive without installing chameleon bootloader, so I still need mars bootcd. When the new Mars BootCD is released, is it safe to update to 10.6.2? I think yes because fakesmc_v2 and the removal of dsmos, but do I have to edit manually something for an Asus P5Q-E board?

I'm in the exact same situation right now, reinstalled but no chameleon to boot. Same doubt too.

Okay 3 days later I finally got it working.

But i've come to a new problem:

I have two ATI 4550's only one of them is working and that one only works with DVI. I'm using netkas' boot file and GraphicsEnabler (Yes), and the required netkas kext files.

Does anyone know how to get my second 4550 card to be recognised? Only one of them shows up in system profiler.

Thanks in advance.

In order to make the USB drive bootable you will need to install the Chameleon Boot Loader on that drive. Assuming you are using Ians Mars boot cd you can find Chameleon in SUPPORT/SOURCES/Chameleon 2.0 RC3-r658/Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658-bin.tar.gz. Extract that file to your desktop. There is a README file in the docs folder that has instructions on how to install it. The main thing to change is the "/dev/disk0s2" and rdisk0 etc. to whatever drive is your usb drive. Use the command "diskutil list" (without the quotes) and replace /dev/disk0s2 and rdisk0 etc. with your usb drive information. If you've already copied the boot file from the cd you probably won't need the last step that reads:

- Install boot to the partition's root directory:

sudo cp boot /

But if you do need to copy the boot file don't run the command "as is" or else it will copy it to your hard drive. It will be something more like

sudo cp boot /Volumes/USBdrive/ or whatever the path to your usb drive is. You can always just copy and paste the boot file using finder.

I used this guide and it worked, to make resolutions appear, I used OSX86tools, very usefull to try stuff, because you can backup/restore kernel and extensions.

This worked for me

1. install Chameleon RC2 - install may fail but it is fine

2. install MainMenu - used to show hidden files

3. drag boot file into root drive

4. copy all files from extra into root/extra

5. use Kext Helper b7 to install kext from the extensions folder - DO NOT REBOOT YET

6. copy com.apple.boot.plist to root/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

7. reboot without boot CD

note: root is the hard drive where SL is installed on

enjoy

Hi everyone,

this might really be a pretty dumb question, but where exactly can I download the newest version of the 132Mars or 132Jupiter Boot-Cd's and the Mac Support Package that Ian T referrs to in his new guide for the P5Q-E?? The attachments of this thread seem to be older versions than those that are mentioned in the guide (the ones that were updated on Nov. 15th.)

Please don't hate...I'm a newbie ;)

Thanks in advance

Ian should upload the newer bootcd, which includes scripts for P5Q-E and netkas EFI 10.5, he's solving some bugs in the bootcd and maybe we can download it pretty soon, maybe this weekend?

There's several days Ian doesn't come up here, maybe he's busy, but, Ian, if you read that, please tell us an estimate date, my finger is always on the F5 keys xDD , hope you are OK.

Hi everyone,

this might really be a pretty dumb question, but where exactly can I download the newest version of the 132Mars or 132Jupiter Boot-Cd's and the Mac Support Package that Ian T referrs to in his new guide for the P5Q-E?? The attachments of this thread seem to be older versions than those that are mentioned in the guide (the ones that were updated on Nov. 15th.)

Please don't hate...I'm a newbie ;)

Thanks in advance

I think he didn't release it yet, that's why there's no link to DL. Normally, when it's available Ian posts an update in the first thread with a link.

I'm waiting for that too!!

By the way I have another question:

I got the november 6th release of MARS just to look and try to learn something about file structure and what kexts go where in the system and/or boot folders.

In the P5Q-E PDF guide there's a list of the Kexts included in the MARS package of november 6th but not all these kexts are in the \SUPPORT\MARSBOOTER\Extensions folder in the Iso image. I highlighted the kexts included:

* AHCIPortInjector.kext

* AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

* AppleVIAATA.kext (with Marvell 88SE6111 & 88SE6145 support)

* dsmos.kext

* fakesmc.kext (version 2)

* IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

* LegacyJMB36xSATA.kext

* NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

* OpenHaltRestart.kext

* PlatformUUID.kext

* VoodooPS2Controller.kext

1-Where are the other kexts in the Boot CD?

2-Which kexts go to root/Extra/Extensions?

3-Which ones i have to load in /System/Lybrary/Extensions for P5Q-E to work?

4- What does smbios.plist, DSDT.aml and com.apple.boot.plist do exactly?

cheers

4- What does smbios.plist, DSDT.aml and com.apple.boot.plist do exactly?

If I got that correctly, you have to edit those according to you specific hardware config apart from the motherboard.

What and where exactly you have to edit things in there, I couldnt figure out so far neither.

This is my hardware config:

Intel C2D E8400 @3.0GHZ

Graphics: Geforce GTX 260

RAM: F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ --- G.Skill DDR2-1000 PC2-8000, 2048MB x 2 (CL 5-5-5-15 2.0~2.1V) (That's all it says on the packagin :rolleyes: )

HDD: 2x Western Digital Caviar Blue 640GB, SATA II

It would be great, if someone could help me with what I need to edit in the above mentioned files to fit this configuration. (Is there more information needed for that purpose?)

Thanks again!!

Thanks for the updated guide! Seems to work even better/easier now.

Do you have any idea when your dual boot guide will be ready (sorry to be impatient :P) I need to use Windows again soon, but I was hoping to not break my OSX install because it's working perfect :( thanks again.

Hi, I'm newly infected with this Hackintosh virus ;) (sorry for my English)

My PC configuration is :

Asus P5Q3 motherboard,

q9550,

Corsair Dominator 3x1Giga,

HDD1_SNOW =WD5000AAKS

HDD2_Storage=WD5000AADS

Asus EN9500GT MG 512

I successfully installed Snow Leopard, thank you IanT but I have problem with Shutdown my PC :) When I try, It turns off the monitor but it's still runing (restart works good). Then, If I turn off from the power button, the next boot it stops on the grey screen with the apple. The only thing I can do to load the Snow again is first to boot with Ubuntu LiveCD or with the Snow instll DVD. Can someone help me about?

Thanx