PDF GUIDES: Retail Snow Leopard Install for ASUS P5Q & P5Q-E

Ian T

308 posts in this topic

Hi Ian,

I was hoping to install snow leopard 10.6.2 on an ASUS P5E (intel X38 chipset + HD4870). The kexts on the iso are meant for P5Q, how easy is it for me to substitute other kexts with your iso's? I also do NOT have a MAC so I basically can't follow any of the other hackintosh approaches.

Any hints on this? I just want to know if it's easy to add my own kext into your iso (for asus P5E). And can I do that without a MAC. Just a very short answer (yes/no, .... ) is fine.

Thanks!

an_idiot,

It is fairly easy to add kexts to either of my image files, on a Mac. But, afaik, you can't do this on a PC...

I completely forgot to add the skge.kext for the Marvell Gigabit Network Adapter (88E8056). My bad...

If you zip up your kexts, I can create a custom image file for you.

Peace,

IanT

*afaik = as far as i know

Any hints on this? I just want to know if it's easy to add my own kext into your iso (for asus P5E). And can I do that without a MAC. Just a very short answer (yes/no, .... ) is fine.

Thanks!

Everyone,

I completely forgot I had separated out the boot images, one for P5Q and the other for P5Q-E. If I can remember correctly.... :(

I'll just make them universal for either, and I will add skge.kext to both of them. The AppleVIAATA.kext should work for the JMB3xx PATA adapter that's on either board.

Anyways, if anyone has a problem -- Reply and I'll take care of it.

Peace,

IanT

I figured out my problem. It appears OS X didn't like my EVGA 7900GTX. I took that out and replaced it with a xfx 7900gt and it works fine. I actually see the language-selection screen! That is as far as I've tried to get. I was so stoked getting that far that I called it a day and went on to other stuff. Will try and install tomorrow. :)

Cheval,

Awesome!

I figured out my problem. It appears OS X didn't like my EVGA 7900GTX. I took that out and replaced it with a xfx 7900gt and it works fine. I actually see the language-selection screen! That is as far as I've tried to get. I was so stoked getting that far that I called it a day and went on to other stuff. Will try and install tomorrow. :)

Now 10.6.2 update works out of the box, running fine here with last mars booter.

On P5Q-E neither of the network cards work. Also ViaATA doesn't work for me, but maybe is because only thing I have installed here is the Raid-0 Array. Audio doesn't work but I think you didn't add the kext por P5Q-E audio. I tell that only if something of this was supposed to work with last mars booter. I don't want to add kexts manually for now, will wait for the scripts and also this way I can test everything is OK.

Ian, will your script allow installing chameleon to SL partition? I have formatted it with GPT instead of MBR.

I installed SL from an USB stick, so it works very well, like a real Mac.

Keep the good work!

Xtro,

Originally, my script only installed Chameleon to the SL partition, that's until I added the manual input of the disk to use (e.g., disk0s9, etc.), and then the method to install to the EFI partition (which I'm still ironing out). So, yes.

=)

Peace,

IanT

Now 10.6.2 update works out of the box, running fine here with last mars booter.

On P5Q-E neither of the network cards work. Also ViaATA doesn't work for me, but maybe is because only thing I have installed here is the Raid-0 Array. Audio doesn't work but I think you didn't add the kext por P5Q-E audio. I tell that only if something of this was supposed to work with last mars booter. I don't want to add kexts manually for now, will wait for the scripts and also this way I can test everything is OK.

Ian, will your script allow installing chameleon to SL partition? I have formatted it with GPT instead of MBR.

I installed SL from an USB stick, so it works very well, like a real Mac.

Keep the good work!

Thanks for the kudos RoberT_XeS!!

How have you been??

I am doing great....... Been out for a while....since my motherboard crashed......Got a new ASUS P5Q now....my graphics card also got corrupted.....hence I am going a buy a new one.... not sure which one to buy..... I am thinking about purchasing GT 240 or 9800 GT or HD 4670.....NOT SURE WHICH ONE TO BUY.....

Once I decide which one to buy then I will be ready to go.....Then I will try to install Snow Leopard......

First of all, thanks for your whole work.

I just bought a new Samsung HD502 harddrive so I got disc space for trying out your PDF guides.

Out of curiosity, you wrote about a SUPPORT folder on the disc serving the BIOS ROM, though I can't find this folder inside the ISOs of the latest .zip files. I found a thread by you on around page 5 where you're delivering the old ISOs with and without SUPPORT files, may I need to download and use these?

You're referring to the BIOS 2102 by Juzzi for the P5Q motherboard in the revisions.txt, but sadly the old links referring to the original thread by Juzzi are broken. (Old link: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=136586)

// UPDATE: Found it thanks to a post concerning the files for P5QL Pro by RoberT_XeS, thanks! It's a depositfiles folder serving several BOOT ROMs, including the 2102 for P5Q or 2102 for P5Q PRO at page 3.

Folder: http://depositfiles.com/en/folders/KH3GSDQ7Q

Note: 2102 seem to be the most up2date BOOT ROMs as the 2002 archive has an older creation date, though serving support for VISTA?!

need some help when i boot the boot cd it go's fine after i put in the osx cd and hit enter i get the apple pic and the language box as soon as i hit the arrow i get this

mac os x can't be installed on this computer restore from backup or restart

can some one tell me what im doing wrong

bios is set to ahci

Hey Ian,

I used the 132Jupiter disc and booted the Snow Leopard cd off it. It loaded the cd but after a while my monitor screen just displays corrupted graphics. This is exactly after I see something like "display is in SLOT 1" on the screen. My graphics card is the ATi Radeon 4850 and motherboard is Asus P5Q-E. Any suggestions?

Im having the same problems as floordance. I cant seam to find the support fold on the mars boot disc,

Could some one please shed some light on this, Thanks.

Just to say Thanks to Ian T for all your fantastic work, it is greatly appreciated..

After finding out I need a SATA DVD and buying one I got ready to start installation. Chameleon 2.0 RC4 came up from the 123Mars Disc, inserted the SnowLeopard Retail disc (yes, a bought one from Mac Box Set with iLife '09 and iWork '09) and selected "Apple_HFS" and ... boom: "Can't find match_kernel". Alright, tried some keys and found out F10 helps, selected "Mac OS X Install DVD" and the installation starts and very soon stops again with:

FireWire (OHCI) Lucent ID 5811 PCI now active, GUID 001e8c0001483d01; max speed s400.
  Still waiting for root device

Last message appears after some time again and again.

I googled around and found out I should try not using AHCI, but IDE Compatible. I tried this and it comes up with:

FireWire (OHCI) Lucent ID 5811 PCI now active, GUID 001e8c0001483d01; max speed s400.
  USBF: 6.550 AppleUSBUHCI[0xffffff8025157000]::start unable to initialize UIM

The new (second) error has something to do with fakeSMC.

So I tried again with 123Jupiter and AHCI Settings:

USBF: 6.171 AppleUSBUHCI[0xffffff80251f9000]::start unable to initialize UIM

Wohoo,

found out it has to be F5 in Chameleon (not sure if that matters..) and started again with 123Mars, DVD insert, F5, wait, select DVD and start typing "-v" (verbose?, read this somewhere, you can see the output at the bottom of Chameleon), ENTER. Came across some bug messages and so, but after a while the Mac OS X install GUI turned up - and I directly fall in love with that. Hope this helps somebody!

Now going to install and let's see what's the next error :)

//UPDATE: I'm now during installation following your guide, sarcastically you already mentioned the F5 key, only the "-v" is missing for my setup. I read some future steps and you mention a Marsbooter Script out of the (not existing) "Support" folder, though I did a forum search and found your second thread with download links for this. Last update was 08 Oct 2009, but I think that's fine, so I'll try that later on.

//UPDATE2: Installation went fine and for restart I put in 123Mars again and started with the SnowLeopard medium out of Chameleon. Brought me to the system, happily. I run the commands for marsbooter and no error here, just went fine. I secondly installed the "AttansicL1eEthernet.kext" (newest version, for x64) using "Kext Helper b7" and success message here, too. Then hit Mac > Restart and it took a long time to shutdown. Back to BIOS successfully loaded now installed Chameleon asking me for any key for options, I just wait and after about a minute a grey screen with Apple logo in the middle appeared and did never disappear anymore. What now? Maybe this is because the old marsbooter script installs outdated Chameleon 2.0 RC3 and other outdated .kext? I did restart and boot from 123Mars CD, but selecting and starting "SnowLeopard" stops with:

Mac Framework successfully loaded
using 10485 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers
IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87

Nothing more, just stays like this. There were no error messages before.

//UPDATE3: After lot of Google and BIOS I suddenly stumbled on my disabled Gigabit Ethernet Controller settings in BIOS, for which I recently installed the kext ... and enabled it. Sadly booting from 123Mars CD stops at the same no-error state as before, but booting without (this means using the marsbooter Chameleon 2.0 RC3) works for startup. Sadly my Ethernet controller is still not recognized yet. Secondary I found out that in "About this Mac" my Processor is set as "3GHz unknown" though before running marsbooter and restarting it was shown correctly, has something to do with a kext that was installed... :)

I setup my system for the third time and finally got everything to work. Here is my little P5Q How-To on Setup after Installation using IanTs PDF GUIDES. This is especially for P5Q, but P5Q-E should be similar, though you definitely need another kext for the audio and LAN.

After installation passes through I directly installed the 10.6.2 Combo Update from here via USB stick, just download and on your new HackMac double klick on the dmg to run it. Setup will ask you to restart after procedure and you should agree to this. After restart (still using latest 123Mars or 123Jupiter disc) I installed the needed kexts. As my CPU is detected right by default I just installed the kext listed below using Kexthelper b7 (best to drop this into your Applications folder for future usage). You need to enter the administator password you choose during installation in the bottom textfield and click on EASY INSTALL. Please note that I did not use MARSBOOTER script by IanT as there is no up2date version in the wild and the old one didn't work for me the right way. Here are my kexts:

• AppleHDA.kext for Realtek ALC1200 HD sound (not for P5Q-E)
  • AttansicL1eEthernet.kext for Atheros L1E GBit LAN (not for P5Q-E)
  • fakesmc.kext (v2.x+, used v2.5) which is essential for running Mac on your system, sadly files.netkas.org is down for some time now, I got my files from here
  • NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, got this from here too

You need to fully restart your system to get all kexts working, though some might work directly (p.e. the GBit LAN). You also might experience a long shutdown time, just go for Mac > End now... and close Kexthelper as it might hung up. Note that there are might be much more kexts avaible, but using more of them still increases the risk of failures and panics. Do not use VoodooHDA and AppleHDA or any audio kexts at the same time, you have to remove the old ones from all directories, better double check this. If you already ran the MARSBOOTER script it is very likely you got an old version of VoodooHDA and other kexts installed already. I also experienced some issues with idle mode, so you might want to try the newest Sleep Enabler kext, make sure to install this after updating to 10.6.2. Also be ready to reinstall your kexts on the next system update as some of them might become overwritten.

Second step would be installing latest Chameleon (v2.0 RC4) together with latest PC EFI. I didn't do this yet as I want to wait for IanT to release a new version of his/her MARSBOOTER script instead of installing it manually, so I'm still using the 123Mars boot disc. For all of you that want to do this manually there are a lot of howtos around the web to go with.

Please note for the HD audio on P5Q using Digital output that having no option to set the master sound volume is an Apple specific feature, no bug, so you push the original digital output directly into your sound system. Use the volume control of your A/V-receiver for listening to the beats. I read about some problems using iTunes with DTS, though I haven't tried this yet. There are some testfiles around (others here), but they only work for VLC. In VLC preferences make sure to enable "Use S/PDIF, if avaible" in the audio settings.

I'd like to mention that I also stumbled across http://www.kexts.com/ which allows you to download some kexts as many are really hard to find for download.

Side note: I managed to dualboot with Windows 7, read my tutorial on this here.

Here you go for my quick-and-dirty 10.6.2 to 10.6.4 to 10.6.7 notes.

I think you talk about the IDE Bus, right? Actually no, I bought a new harddrive and a new dvd drive to get this all working in AHCI mode, that itself afaik (as far as i know) doesn't support IDE drives. Though I've to admit that I haven't tried it again, as I got solely SATA now.

ah, ok. actually the IDE works fine now on this new install of OS X. I think last time I changed something and that screwed the IDE up....

OS X is working good now. The GeFORCE 7xxx {censored} was driving me :( bonkers. netkas.org page on 10.6.2 has been extremely helpful in figuring out my problems.

Just wanted to say THANK YOU! to Ian-T for the great work. I got everything to work on my P5Q-E on the very first attempt with carefully following your guide. Also thanks to the great post of floordance installing the right kexts (Audio & Lan) was easy and quick.

I'm still booting from the 132Mars. Looking forward to cleaning everything up with the latest Chameleon installation and the option to dual-boot Win7. After that my long wished-for setup will be ready!

Thanks again, guys...off to exploring my new OS ;)

DarkFlagster,

Someone said they were able to.

Please remember, that the guide shows to use an original SL DVD.. :unsure:

IanT

Instead of using a DVD, can i use a DVD image on a partition?

floordance,

Cool tidbit for everyone else --

I think I'll have sometime in terms of updating the SUPPORT folder as well as the relevant scripts this weekend. I'm moving the rest of my {censored} into my new apartment this weekend.

I also have new hardware to work with --

Lastly, I'll be releasing a boot disc that'll work for the ATI Radeon HD 4350 or 4650 this weekend as well -- It uses Netkas' beta booter for GraphicsEnabler support. However, you must add your device-ids to the specified kexts prior to burning it -- or you can just do this after you install SL, and after 10.6.2 combo update.

Peace,

IanT

I setup my system for the third time and finally got everything to work. Here is my little P5Q How-To on Setup after Installation using IanTs PDF GUIDES. This is especially for P5Q, but P5Q-E should be similar, though you definitely need another kext for the audio and LAN.

After installation passes through I directly installed the 10.6.2 Combo Update from here via USB stick, just download and on your new HackMac double klick on the dmg to run it. Setup will ask you to restart after procedure and you should agree to this. After restart (still using latest 123Mars or 123Jupiter disc) I installed the needed kexts. As my CPU is detected right by default I just installed the kext listed below using Kexthelper b7 (best to drop this into your Applications folder for future usage). You need to enter the administator password you choose during installation in the bottom textfield and click on EASY INSTALL. Please note that I did not use MARSBOOTER script by IanT as there is no up2date version in the wild and the old one didn't work for me the right way. Here are my kexts:

• AppleHDA.kext for Realtek ALC1200 HD sound (not for P5Q-E)
  • AttansicL1eEthernet.kext for Atheros L1E GBit LAN (not for P5Q-E)
  • fakesmc.kext (v2.x+, used v2.5) which is essential for running Mac on your system, sadly files.netkas.org is down for some time now, I got my files from here
  • NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, got this from here too

You need to fully restart your system to get all kexts working, though some might work directly (p.e. the GBit LAN). You also might experience a long shutdown time, just go for Mac > End now... and close Kexthelper as it might hung up. Note that there are might be much more kexts avaible, but using more of them still increases the risk of failures and panics. Do not use VoodooHDA and AppleHDA or any audio kexts at the same time, you have to remove the old ones from all directories, better double check this. If you already ran the MARSBOOTER script it is very likely you got an old version of VoodooHDA and other kexts installed already. I also experienced some issues with idle mode, so you might want to try the newest Sleep Enabler kext, make sure to install this after updating to 10.6.2. Also be ready to reinstall your kexts on the next system update as some of them might become overwritten.

Second step would be installing latest Chameleon (v2.0 RC4) together with latest PC EFI. I didn't do this yet as I want to wait for IanT to release a new version of his/her MARSBOOTER script instead of installing it manually, so I'm still using the 123Mars boot disc. For all of you that want to do this manually there are a lot of howtos around the web to go with.

Please note for the HD audio on P5Q using Digital output that having no option to set the master sound volume is an Apple specific feature, no bug, so you push the original digital output directly into your sound system. Use the volume control of your A/V-receiver for listening to the beats. I read about some problems using iTunes with DTS, though I haven't tried this yet. There are some testfiles around (others here), but they only work for VLC. In VLC preferences make sure to enable "Use S/PDIF, if avaible" in the audio settings.

I'd like to mention that I also stumbled across http://www.kexts.com/ which allows you to download some kexts as many are really hard to find for download.

• 2 weeks later...
floordance,

Cool tidbit for everyone else --

I think I'll have sometime in terms of updating the SUPPORT folder as well as the relevant scripts this weekend. I'm moving the rest of my {censored} into my new apartment this weekend.

I also have new hardware to work with --

Lastly, I'll be releasing a boot disc that'll work for the ATI Radeon HD 4350 or 4650 this weekend as well -- It uses Netkas' beta booter for GraphicsEnabler support. However, you must add your device-ids to the specified kexts prior to burning it -- or you can just do this after you install SL, and after 10.6.2 combo update.

Hey Ian T,

nice to read from you again and thanks for the kudos. I hope you moved relaxed into your new home, sounds like you got the job you mentioned some pages ago, congratulations! :D

Though you might have little time for low I'm still hoping you're releasing the dual-boot (Win7 & Mac) guides including updated support discs soon, as I'm still using the Mars123 disc for booting. There is a unofficial Chameleon RC4 installer for download in this forum, but I feel uncomfortable using this as I do not know whether this might work or not (afraid of loosing my mac os setup..) Also this does not use the new PC-EFI v10.6 by netkas, released some days ago. There will also be the 10.6.3 out in the next days, so I'd really appreciate your thoughts on this, too.

Have a nice workweek,

floordance.

Everyone,

I'm really sorry for going MIA again -- :)

I've been so busy that I haven't even been able to unbox and sort my {censored} when I moved into my new digs...

I just saw that Netkas released PC EFI 10.6, I'll be updating the boot discs obviously -- Especially for you ATI Radeon HD 4xxx users... I also picked up two ATI Radeon HD 4350's, and a 4650. I'll be picking up a 5xxx sometime soon --

The support directory will be updated in the next seven days -- I'm pretty sure I can get that out quickly...

If any of you has bash scripting experience in Mac OS X and would like to help me test and introduce better methods for marsbooter.sh, send me a message or hit me up on jabber!

Peace,

IanT

Hey Ian T,

nice to read from you again and thanks for the kudos. I hope you moved relaxed into your new home, sounds like you got the job you mentioned some pages ago, congratulations! :)

Though you might have little time for low I'm still hoping you're releasing the dual-boot (Win7 & Mac) guides including updated support discs soon, as I'm still using the Mars123 disc for booting. There is a unofficial Chameleon RC4 installer for download in this forum, but I feel uncomfortable using this as I do not know whether this might work or not (afraid of loosing my mac os setup..) Also this does not use the new PC-EFI v10.6 by netkas, released some days ago. There will also be the 10.6.3 out in the next days, so I'd really appreciate your thoughts on this, too.

Have a nice workweek,

floordance.

floordance,

Yes, I'm still going to release the dual-boot guides!!! I know I know, I keep saying that -- but hey, it'll be as clean and easy to read like my other two PDF guides! :)

I personally wouldn't use the Unofficial Chameleon RC4 Installer by Dr. Hurt (I think)... No offense is meant to him, I believe he's doing a great service for those who are newcomers to Mac OS X on the PC. That's why I created marsbooter.sh (the installation script with three options). As with anything, any updates or changes we make to an existing system that is pristine, can carry some risk; so my advice to you is to use caution but to also expect the unexpected.

As for 10.6.3, I know it'll be coming down the pipe soon, and no-doubt that Apple has added or removed some items, whether it's in the kernel itself, or a kext or a slew of kexts.... So, until I get word from Netkas (more or less read his blog), I won't update the PDFs for 10.6.3. But, I will when he's released the simple how-to... :)

I hope the above answers some of your questions...!

You can always hit me up via message or private message so we can exchange AIM/Yahoo!/Jabber/etc....

Peace,

IanT