Asus P6T SE Retail Snow Leopard Installation Guide [FLASHDRIVE] [UPDATED JUN. 28]]

tweak41

1,279 posts in this topic

Hi everybody,

After using this motherboard since a while now, I discovered strange things about GFX performances. Everything else is working fine and fast :D

First of all, here's my rig :

P6tse

i7 960

6go DDR 1600 kingston hyper X

installed with files provided here, dsdt from i7 965 (which is the same for i7 960), P6t se kexts (fakescm and p6tse.kext) chamelon RC5 provided here (many version tried). no smbios.

apple.com.boot.plist used

<key>DSDT</key>

<string>/Extra/DSDT.aml</string>

<key>GenerateCStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GeneratePStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1920x1200x32</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>boot-uuid=B889B66B-628D-3252-8FA4-7AA8A14E59A7 rd=*uuid</string>

<key>Quiet Boot</key>

<string>no</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>1</string>

I use boot-uuid to be able to start from different hard drives with the same boot, the only way for me to reach the right partition. Btw, If anybody know another way to proceed...you welcome.

here's my GFX:

geforce GTX 285

cable lenght : x16

speed link : 2.5 GT/s

from PCI Info

Now the problem.

With a fresh install of SL 10.6.3 I ran cinebench 11.5 and the results are 28. Then If I update to 10.6.5 my results are falling to 15... without doing anything else

I tried from scratch again and same results. This WE I had the unportunity to try this with a P6T deluxe V2 and I had the same results....

Anybody to help me with that problem ? it's really boring me.

Thank you guys

Hi everybody,

After using this motherboard since a while now, I discovered strange things about GFX performances. Everything else is working fine and fast :)

First of all, here's my rig :

P6tse

i7 960

6go DDR 1600 kingston hyper X

installed with files provided here, dsdt from i7 965 (which is the same for i7 960), P6t se kexts (fakescm and p6tse.kext) chamelon RC5 provided here (many version tried). no smbios.

apple.com.boot.plist used

<key>DSDT</key>

<string>/Extra/DSDT.aml</string>

<key>GenerateCStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GeneratePStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1920x1200x32</string>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>boot-uuid=B889B66B-628D-3252-8FA4-7AA8A14E59A7 rd=*uuid</string>

<key>Quiet Boot</key>

<string>no</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>1</string>

I use boot-uuid to be able to start from different hard drives with the same boot, the only way for me to reach the right partition. Btw, If anybody know another way to proceed...you welcome.

here's my GFX:

geforce GTX 285

cable lenght : x16

speed link : 2.5 GT/s

from PCI Info

Now the problem.

With a fresh install of SL 10.6.3 I ran cinebench 11.5 and the results are 28. Then If I update to 10.6.5 my results are falling to 15... without doing anything else

I tried from scratch again and same results. This WE I had the unportunity to try this with a P6T deluxe V2 and I had the same results....

Anybody to help me with that problem ? it's really boring me.

Thank you guys

Yes you simply need to add your device ID in GraphicsPowerManagement.kext the MacPro3,1 & 4,1 has keys for the GTX 285 but they are set to a different vendor ID.. Solved my problem :)

• 2 weeks later...

k next try: guid cruzer with 8gb and os x 10.6.4 retail dvd restored. boots up via alt into setup on my macbook black first generation. but not! on my p6t. a friend of mine has installed a vanila-kernel on another asus mobo (dunno the name) and it only bootet into the usb-stick with chameloen, when he used mbr.

i will try it again, again and again ... for heaven's sake.

even without any other usb drives, usb printer, cardreader or any other devices in the usb-ports and without any hdd connected to the sata ports, no bootup from usb. 3 lines blinking underline

next interessting part: thought about a bios update from 0808 to 0908. so i've put the rom onto the guid partioned usb-flash drive, bootet into the ez flash 2 bios utility and geting the error: There are no any existing drives!

har: my p6t-se can't read guid?

next question: when I use my old chameleon installation on my raptor where 10.5.7 is installed, i can select the usb-flash drive where my SL is restored to with the needed kexts, boot.plist etc.

when i select the usb-drive within this chameleon bootloader, which extra folder is used? the one on my raptor (where chameleon is booting from), or the usb-kexts?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, so my 4850 is starting to have problems (crashes every once in a while), so I'm in need of a new graphics card. I may spend 20 measly dollars on one to get me by in the near future, then buy a new one, but I want one that will be able to play most, if not every game at 1920 x 1080 res at medium high-high graphics settings. It also needs to work with Snow Leopard, of course. Any suggestions? DX11 would be a plus, but I'm not sure how Snow Leopard handles the new Radeon 50006000 series or the GTX 400/500 series, but those would be preferable. Thanks everybody!

Hey, so my 4850 is starting to have problems (crashes every once in a while), so I'm in need of a new graphics card. I may spend 20 measly dollars on one to get me by in the near future, then buy a new one, but I want one that will be able to play most, if not every game at 1920 x 1080 res at medium high-high graphics settings. It also needs to work with Snow Leopard, of course. Any suggestions? DX11 would be a plus, but I'm not sure how Snow Leopard handles the new Radeon 50006000 series or the GTX 400/500 series, but those would be preferable. Thanks everybody!

Do NOT get a Fermi card (GTX4xx/5xx). They're "supported" but my experience with them has been dreadful. Nothing but random KPs and freezes. I've heard the 5770 is a good ATI card to use, otherwise if you can get an older GTX 285 that's a good choice too.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I have a very interesting problem that I am encountering. First of all, I did have a working snow leopard installation a few years back which I followed Searay's guide for the Asus P6T non-deluxe motherboard. Everything was working wonderful. After a few months I formatted the snow leopard install and installed windows 7 instead. In the past few months I have bought an OCZ VERTEX 2 120GB SSD and installed windows 7 on their, making it my primary boot hd and storing all the bulky stuff on my 1TB hd.

I have decided to install snow leopard again onto my 1TB hard drive, so I followed this guide

I go to boot from the usb flash drive (boot loader) and I get the backslash rotating for a millisecond and freezing in this position "\" and the cursor blinking underneath it. And that's all it does. I left it for about 30 min and nothing happened. Now the weirder part, I unplugged my hd, ssd, and DVD drive (all SATA) rebooted and the boot loader magically appeared. I own the same system I used before to install snow leopard, the only difference is the ssd. I tried unplugging the ssd and the same backslash and blinking cursor occurs. Once I unplug all sata drives I can load boot loader, etc. What is going here? Any one encounter this? Please if any one can help I would greatly appreciate it.

Hello all,

I have a very interesting problem that I am encountering. First of all, I did have a working snow leopard installation a few years back which I followed Searay's guide for the Asus P6T non-deluxe motherboard. Everything was working wonderful. After a few months I formatted the snow leopard install and installed windows 7 instead. In the past few months I have bought an OCZ VERTEX 2 120GB SSD and installed windows 7 on their, making it my primary boot hd and storing all the bulky stuff on my 1TB hd.

I have decided to install snow leopard again onto my 1TB hard drive, so I followed this guide

I go to boot from the usb flash drive (boot loader) and I get the backslash rotating for a millisecond and freezing in this position "\" and the cursor blinking underneath it. And that's all it does. I left it for about 30 min and nothing happened. Now the weirder part, I unplugged my hd, ssd, and DVD drive (all SATA) rebooted and the boot loader magically appeared. I own the same system I used before to install snow leopard, the only difference is the ssd. I tried unplugging the ssd and the same backslash and blinking cursor occurs. Once I unplug all sata drives I can load boot loader, etc. What is going here? Any one encounter this? Please if any one can help I would greatly appreciate it.

Try Chameleon RC5. You're using an older bootloader--either PCI EFI or Chameleon RC4. There are some significant improvements.

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to try with a SSD harddrive and it works just fine with this mobo even 64 bit (still only 10.6.6 though). I use this hdd for my web casts over at justin.tv. Gonna try go up to 10.6.7 tonight. The Sapphire 5750 1 gb gddr5 works pretty good with kabyls bootloader even 64 bit. At least the dvi and vga ports, minidisplayports and hdmi is still working a bit weird though. For example with the minidisplay port I get only mirrored desktop.

Thanks someone said there were some speed improvements

(100pt in geekbench) do you feel it any faster?

Erm. Didn't really do benchmarks from 10.6.6 so I can't give a numerical comparison. Feels about the same to me I guess.

Incidentally, what are you guys using for the SMproductname in smbios.plist?

I have to use MacPro5,1 if not I won't get CPU and GPU temperatures. However, I don't seem to be getting fan speeds and all that.

Screen%20shot%202011-03-24%20at%20AM%2012.00.01.PNG

I've the following extensions in /E/E,

Booted, stuck on

AppleRTL8169Ethernet: Ethernet Adress xx:xx:x....

Disabled my LAN in BIOS and got stuck on

Sound assertion "0 != widget->setUnsolicited ( TRUE)" Failed in "/sourcecache/appleHDA/AppleHDA-174.1.1/AppleHDA.....

instead..

Any ideas, to fix that?

Booted, stuck on

Sound assertion "0 != widget->setUnsolicited ( TRUE)" Failed in "/sourcecache/appleHDA/AppleHDA-174.1.1/AppleHDA.....

instead..

Any ideas, to fix that?

Need more details on your hardware specs

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there AWOL,

I have made the OSX installer on the flashdisk with copied Kexts etc..

How do your files integrate into it? Do your files have to be copied prior to install, or used to config afterwards?

Thanks for any info.

this is P6T Essential that i made

im not taking any credit for this as i just collect kext from the net

Core i7 920 4 core + HT working

PS/2 keyboard and mouse working

ALC 1200 working

Realtek 8111C Working

Tried your kext but get stuck at this screen during boot, have a look

img0147n.jpg

Just to add on to the previous post, this happens when I try to boot from hard drive with the installed chameleon, I can boot normally into osx using the installer on usb

I have exactly the same problem, but happened to my after updating to 10.6.7. Is there anyone who has ideas how to fix this?

Hardware Specs:

P6TSE, i7 920, HD5770, SATA port 1 used for hdd

Guys, think you should read the first post with regards to creating a vanilla build as closely as possible. The lesser kexts you use (the more vanilla you are) the less chances for errors.

Booted, stuck on

instead..

Any ideas, to fix that?

Try "GraphicEnabler=n" in both of boot.plist. Helps for me.

Try this for your sound problem:

When you boot from Chameleon use the arg -s

You will be brought to the command line version of os x.

type:

/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mount -uw /

sudo -rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext

then reboot using -v -f

If that gets you back into OS X, you'll want to update AppleHDA.kext so it's compatible with 10.6.7, and run kext utility to refresh your kext cache.

UPDATE

• DSDT P6T & P6T SE (v3.4 need 10.6.4 or upper)
    /Extra/DSDT
    >> P6T SE & P6T DSDT  
  • You also need in Extra/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext (new version or older... is the same relate to functionallity)

• smbios.plist
    /Extra/smbios.plist
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
    <key>SMserial</key>
    <string>[color="#FF0000"]***********[/color]</string> [b][i]***[/i][/b] [color="#FF0000"]Change "*" with 11 digit serial namber... COSMETICS[/color] [b][i]***[/i][/b]
    </dict>
    </plist>

• com.apple.Boot.plist
    /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
    <key>Kernel</key>
    <key>Kernel Flags</key>
    <string></string>
    <key>Graphics Mode</key>
    <string>1680x1050x32</string> [b][i]***[/i][/b] [color="#FF0000"]Change with your resolution[/color] [b][i]***[/i][/b]
    <key>Quiet Boot</key>
    <string>No</string>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>UseNvidiaROM</key> [b][i]***[/i][/b] [color="#FF0000"]Optional. I have my VBIOS rom also in /Extra/[/color] [b][i]***[/i][/b]
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>VBIOS</key> [b][i]***[/i][/b] [color="#FF0000"]Optional too.[/color] [b][i]***[/i][/b]
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>Theme</key>
    <string>Default</string>
    </dict>
    </plist>

ALSO:

I like patch/edit the .plist file into the System/Library/Extensions (so.. no need dummy .kext in extra/Extensions)

1. AppleAHCIPort
    /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAHCIPort.kext/Contents/Info.plist
    >> Replace the plist with this  
  2. IOAHCIBlockStorage
    /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/Info.plist
  3. JMicronATA (needed for P6T & P6T SE)
    /System/Library/Extensions/JMicronATA.kext/Contents/Info.plist

How binpatch AppleHDA from terminal:

- ALC1200 (P6T & P6T SE) also need a "legacy.kext" file in /Extra/Extensions >> ALC1200

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x85\x08\xec\x10|\x88\x08\xec\x10|g' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA

Enjoy!

UPDATE

• DSDT P6T & P6T SE (v3.4 need 10.6.4 or upper)
    /Extra/DSDT
    >> P6T SE & P6T DSDT <<

• You also need in Extra/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext (new version or older... is the same relate to functionallity)

• smbios.plist
    /Extra/smbios.plist
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
    <key>SMserial</key>
    <string>[color="#FF0000"]***********[/color]</string> [b][i]***[/i][/b] [color="#FF0000"]Change "*" with 11 digit serial namber... COSMETICS[/color] [b][i]***[/i][/b]
    </dict>
    </plist>

• com.apple.Boot.plist
    /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
    <key>Kernel</key>
    <key>Kernel Flags</key>
    <string></string>
    <key>Graphics Mode</key>
    <string>1680x1050x32</string> [b][i]***[/i][/b] [color="#FF0000"]Change with your resolution[/color] [b][i]***[/i][/b]
    <key>Quiet Boot</key>
    <string>No</string>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>UseNvidiaROM</key> [b][i]***[/i][/b] [color="#FF0000"]Optional. I have my VBIOS rom also in /Extra/[/color] [b][i]***[/i][/b]
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>VBIOS</key> [b][i]***[/i][/b] [color="#FF0000"]Optional too.[/color] [b][i]***[/i][/b]
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>Theme</key>
    <string>Default</string>
    </dict>
    </plist>

ALSO:

I like patch/edit the .plist file into the System/Library/Extensions (so.. no need dummy .kext in extra/Extensions)

1. AppleAHCIPort
    /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAHCIPort.kext/Contents/Info.plist
    >> Replace the plist with this <<

2. IOAHCIBlockStorage
    /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/Info.plist

3. JMicronATA (needed for P6T & P6T SE)
    /System/Library/Extensions/JMicronATA.kext/Contents/Info.plist

How binpatch AppleHDA from terminal:

- ALC1200 (P6T & P6T SE) also need a "legacy.kext" file in /Extra/Extensions >> ALC1200 <<

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x85\x08\xec\x10|\x88\x08\xec\x10|g' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA

Enjoy!

The DSDT works for all processors?