Install Guide for Snow Leopard on a P6T (non deluxe)

Searay_X

Please tell me about your experience with this guide ;)  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Was this helpful?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Did it work for you?

• Yes
    • No

550 posts in this topic

Finally I installed and have a working version of SL 10.6. But I changed DSDTL.aml file from else where. And all worked fine for me, thank you Ryan, for all your guide and effort.

Other DSDT.aml worked for me.

CPU : Intel Corei7 950

Asus P6T Standart

80GB SATA Snow Boot Drive

1500GB SATA Second drive

10444.png

Cheers.

OK Everythings works fine. But after my desktop comes screen, I have to many partitions as W7, EFI etc. How can I unmount or disappear after startup of my unwanted partitions ? Any ideas ?

PS: I'm using NTFS-3G for my W7 partitions.

OK Everythings works fine. But after my desktop comes screen, I have to many partitions as W7, EFI etc. How can I unmount or disappear after startup of my unwanted partitions ? Any ideas ?

PS: I'm using NTFS-3G for my W7 partitions.

There's no need of using NTFS-3G on osx > 10.6. Google for it :D "mount write ntfs snow leopard"

...and, the same applies to the "non automount" option, that goes inside the same file ;)

regards,

brue.

There's no need of using NTFS-3G on osx > 10.6. Google for it :) "mount write ntfs snow leopard"

...and, the same applies to the "non automount" option, that goes inside the same file :)

regards,

brue.

That means SL 10.6 can mount NTFS volumes itself. No need to use NTFS-3G ?

Is that correct understanding _? If so I can uninstall NTFS-3G and use your option to unmount

That means SL 10.6 can mount NTFS volumes itself. No need to use NTFS-3G ?

Is that correct understanding _? If so I can uninstall NTFS-3G and use your option to unmount

Right. Just by editing the fstab file.

Howdy all,

This may be a pretty simple question, but I'm completely stumped.

I have an ATI 4830 graphics card. I understand that I need to do something with the kext editor, but I'm just not sure how. I've found what appears to be an efi string for my card in the first post of this thread.

Can someone walk me through how to add what is needed to the kext? I'm available to pop onto IRC later today, or just a walkthrough here would be fantastic.

Regards,

Target

Right. Just by editing the fstab file.

Can u tell me where is this fstab file. Coz when I write after Teminal cd etc and vi fstab, SL tels me fstab is a new file? Isnt there any default fstab file on SL or may I need to create new one ?

So my parts arrived and I built my new computer. Problem is I didn't make my magicstick before I disassembled the other computer and now my leopard install won't boot and I am unable to even boot my various leopard distro discs to reinstall leopard so that I can make my magic stick.

I did however create a USB installer off of my retail snow leopard disc.

So what are my options for getting SL installed on this board without a magic stick?

There's no need of using NTFS-3G on osx > 10.6. Google for it :) "mount write ntfs snow leopard"

...and, the same applies to the "non automount" option, that goes inside the same file :blink:

regards,

brue.

I finally solved my automount ntfs volumes but I stuck somewhere.

fstab inside :

LABEL=WINDOWS_7 /private/mnt/WINDOWS_7 ntfs ro,noauto
LABEL=EFI /private/mnt/EFI hfs ro,noauto
LABEL=System Reserved /private/mnt/System Reserved ntfs ro,noauto

I don't know why but I think W7 creates 100 mb System Reserved hidden partition on my W7 boot disk. After startup of SL 10.6.1, fstab removes my to drives but System Reserved leaves. I think problem is here about System Reserved named partition has a blank between "System" and "Reserved" so fstab cannot recognize the name "System Reserved". I cannot change its name from Get Info coz its read-only ntfs.

So any ideas how can I ass that partition to fstab and remove from startup.

After installing SL, how is your DVD Writer cover openning? I have Microsoft Wireless Desktop and when I push "Media" button on keyboard which is for Eject command on SL, My DVD writer cover extremely opens up. It is not openning slow as in W7, normal operation? How is yours ?

New problem.

using cpus=1 -Legacy -v -f, I'm getting through much of the install, but it hangs with the following error:

Not loading kext com.apple.driver.ACPI_SMC_PlatformPLugin - not found and kextd not available in early boot.

Any ideas?

New problem.

using cpus=1 -Legacy -v -f, I'm getting through much of the install, but it hangs with the following error:

Not loading kext com.apple.driver.ACPI_SMC_PlatformPLugin - not found and kextd not available in early boot.

Any ideas?

None of that should be necessary on the install. Are you using a retail DVD of SL?

None of that should be necessary on the install. Are you using a retail DVD of SL?

I am using retail DVD of SL that has been restored onto a Coursair Survivor. I was on an old BIOS that I"ve just flashed to 0707. Any chance that will help?

I am using retail DVD of SL that has been restored onto a Coursair Survivor. I was on an old BIOS that I"ve just flashed to 0707. Any chance that will help?

Which BIOS were you using? I am using 0707, so that should work for you...

Which BIOS? I am using 0707, so that should work for you...

I'm on 0707 now, and its still not working. I'm reflashing SL to my coursair 16Gig flash drive.

It freezes up just after the Apple logo comes up after the Cameleon bootloader screen.

I've done the EFI bootloader walkthrough about a dozen times now. I follow it meticulously throgh step 11 then stop. Is there something essentail that comes after that?

Target

I'm on 0707 now, and its still not working. I'm reflashing SL to my coursair 16Gig flash drive.

It freezes up just after the Apple logo comes up after the Cameleon bootloader screen.

I've done the EFI bootloader walkthrough about a dozen times now. I follow it meticulously throgh step 11 then stop. Is there something essentail that comes after that?

Target

And you made sure to grab the Magic Stick from the bottom of the first post right? I think that is the most recent until Ryan finishes the updates he's working on.

And you made sure to grab the Magic Stick from the bottom of the first post right? I think that is the most recent until Ryan finishes the updates he's working on.

I did. The one that comes in the 10-08-09k folder. I use the efi in there, and for the terminal work I reference the i386 folder.

Incidentally, based on the screen shots in the third or forth post for the bios, we are told to set the CPU ratio to 20. I think this ends up overclocking the CPU speed to 4GHz. Is this correct? In my bios startup, as well as in one Ryan's screenshots the CPU seems to be clocked to 4GHz.

Target

I did. The one that comes in the 10-08-09k folder. I use the efi in there, and for the terminal work I reference the i386 folder.

Incidentally, based on the screen shots in the third or forth post for the bios, we are told to set the CPU ratio to 20. I think this ends up overclocking the CPU speed to 4GHz. Is this correct? In my bios startup, as well as in one Ryan's screenshots the CPU seems to be clocked to 4GHz.

Target

Ah, do NOT overclock for the installation. He mentions that somewhere in the guide, that screenshot should get updated (and I'm guessing it will).

See if dropping the CPU back to stock gets you through the installation.

Also, Ryan is running a 965 or 975, so jus make sure you are running stock settings on the CPU and RAM for the install.

Ah, do NOT overclock for the installation. He mentions that somewhere in the guide, that screenshot should get updated (and I'm guessing it will).

See if dropping the CPU back to stock gets you through the installation.

Also, Ryan is running a 965 or 975, so jus make sure you are running stock settings on the CPU and RAM for the install.

I scaled it back to stop the overclocking, and I'm getting further now, but its still freezing. The last error that comes up when I use -v -f to boot is:

** AppleSMBusPCI :: Start failed to get acpi path for provider

NTFS volume name , version 3.1.

Previous Shutdown Cause: 3

DSMOS has arrived

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::pushCPU_CSTData - _CST evalutation failed

AppleTyMCEDriver::start coreVIDPID = 0xfffffff Number of Packages = 1 Number of cpus = 8 memory monitor trough MCR com_psystart_RealtekR1000: Ethernet address 00:24:8c:5a:69:da

After reviewing many other solutions, there always seems to be some gotchas. Can those of you that have successfully followed this process confirm a few things?

1. Sleep works perfectly?

2. Time Machine works?

3. Ethernet does not disappear periodically?

4. Sound does not disappear after sleeping?

Are there any issues that have not been resolved?

Thanks and regards, Peter

After reviewing many other solutions, there always seems to be some gotchas. Can those of you that have successfully followed this process confirm a few things?

1. Sleep works perfectly?

2. Time Machine works?

3. Ethernet does not disappear periodically?

4. Sound does not disappear after sleeping?

Are there any issues that have not been resolved?

Thanks and regards, Peter

1. Sleep works fine for me with no issues.

2. Time machine is working fine for me as well. I'm backing up to a separate physical internal drive on my machine.

3. I chose to grab an additional network card when I first installed b/c I was having bonjour issues (which have now been fixed). You should be fine here though.

4. I can sleep and come back and sound has been fine for me.

For those that are interested...

I got an Apple Magic Mouse on Friday, and have it "working" on the P6T setup. However, in the last few days I have seen a good deal of Kernel Panics. I also updated to VMWare Fusion 3, so that could be the issue, but it does appear to KP when I'm clicking a mouse button most of the time.

Just thought I'd put it out there in case anyone else is looking to get a Magic Mouse.

Guys and gals - the guide links will be down today as the new one is being posted - we are also moving our servers so there will be a downtime of today only.

I am sorry for my brief disappearance from the topic but I have been very busy with my work.

I am free to post the new guide, files and other related items today.