Install Guide for Snow Leopard on a P6T (non deluxe)

Searay_X

Please tell me about your experience with this guide ;)  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Was this helpful?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Did it work for you?

• Yes
    • No

550 posts in this topic

Hi Searay,

I didn't mean to blame you ...

I did not intend to place blame - you may not have seen the warnings and updated before I posted - I was really talking to a lot of other people to stress the fact waiting is the best choice at this moment.

I am working on the server and am close to being able to post :)

Sorry if you took my reply as a direct hit but that is not what I meant my friend - I am here for everyone ;)

Regards,

Ryan

well, hugs for everyone i guess.

I experienced some problems with the onboard ethernet. it would sometimes show up as 2 connections and not work.

I removed the AppleRTC kext, which I thought was the ethernet one, rebuild the mkext and rebooted and now it seems to be working better.

anyone notice any trouble with ethernet?

When I boot up in verbose mode it shows alot of text relating to my ethernet and that seems to be why it's taking me a full 3 minutes to boot up.

And sometimes I have no internet as all when I am booted up and have to reboot.

I was working on a project last night in imovie and the longer I spent with it the slower it got. The whole system slowed to almost a crawl.

So i'm looking forward to these updates. Luckily I finished my project and don't need to boot into OSX any time soon. So i'm in no rush.

Great guide!! I have a perfect 10.6.1 now! Thank you for sharing this guide and the magic stick with us!

Can't wait for 10.6.2!

No problem my friend...

Public Notice - Guys and gals - I am so sorry this is taking so long - My ISP's have made some serious DNS errors preventing me from posting the new guide and files. It is killing me. With every DSN change it can take up to 48 hours and so far every thing has taken the full monty!

I will post everything as soon as my domains are back up.

Regards,

Ryan

Many thanks to SearayX for his devoted work.

I know a new version of the MagicStick is coming up shortly - and it should be fixing many problems and help ATI owners...

I can help but wonder, has anybody here had any luck with ATI cards, on either 10.6 / 10.6.1 ?

I have a 4870X2, and the only luck I had with it was on another computer, by applying a bunch of kext directly to the SL install.

I just built a new P6T/i7.920 box, and really like the idea of a clean install + magicstick. Everything works amazingly well but the 4870X2. Very fast and responsive - but I am craving for my 4870X2 to be correctly driven (I have 2 monitors on the machine, one is useless right now). The kext I had success with don't work with the magicstick...

Anybody had any luck with an ATI on P6T and SnowLeo ?

Many thanks to SearayX for his devoted work.

I know a new version of the MagicStick is coming up shortly - and it should be fixing many problems and help ATI owners...

I can help but wonder, has anybody here had any luck with ATI cards, on either 10.6 / 10.6.1 ?

I have a 4870X2, and the only luck I had with it was on another computer, by applying a bunch of kext directly to the SL install.

I just built a new P6T/i7.920 box, and really like the idea of a clean install + magicstick. Everything works amazingly well but the 4870X2. Very fast and responsive - but I am craving for my 4870X2 to be correctly driven (I have 2 monitors on the machine, one is useless right now). The kext I had success with don't work with the magicstick...

Anybody had any luck with an ATI on P6T and SnowLeo ?

I've had less than no success :D. I actually can't even get a bootable install, and I'm relatively certain i've pinpointed the problem to my ATI 4830. I'm waiting with baited breath for the new files.

Target

I've had less than no success ;) . I actually can't even get a bootable install, and I'm relatively certain i've pinpointed the problem to my ATI 4830. I'm waiting with baited breath for the new files.

Target

Target,

I don't know if I can help you in any way... can you give me more info ? do you have a P6T (standard) as well ?

I'm not sure how much experience you have on PC Leopard installs - so bear with me. Have you tried simply booting the current version of the magicstick ? Can you at least get to the SL install screen ?

well, hugs for everyone i guess.

I experienced some problems with the onboard ethernet. it would sometimes show up as 2 connections and not work.

I removed the AppleRTC kext, which I thought was the ethernet one, rebuild the mkext and rebooted and now it seems to be working better.

anyone notice any trouble with ethernet?

Yes. This has happened to me a few times.

After booting, I would find myself without network connectivity - I would go to System Settings/Network, and see that I have a disabled en0 and activated (green) en1 - but no DHCP and no connectivity.

Deleting en1 (the flaky, new one) and rebooting would normally get everything back in order. Though I will try taking out AppleRTC from my magicstick and see how things go.

Thanks for the tip, just wanted to let you know you are not the only one having experienced this problem - though this happened maybe 3 times (mainly after a fresh install, when I started toying around with the magicstick on a new P6T machine I just built).

Target,

I don't know if I can help you in any way... can you give me more info ? do you have a P6T (standard) as well ?

I'm not sure how much experience you have on PC Leopard installs - so bear with me. Have you tried simply booting the current version of the magicstick ? Can you at least get to the SL install screen ?

Yes. This has happened to me a few times.

After booting, I would find myself without network connectivity - I would go to System Settings/Network, and see that I have a disabled en0 and activated (green) en1 - but no DHCP and no connectivity.

Deleting en1 (the flaky, new one) and rebooting would normally get everything back in order. Though I will try taking out AppleRTC from my magicstick and see how things go.

Thanks for the tip, just wanted to let you know you are not the only one having experienced this problem - though this happened maybe 3 times (mainly after a fresh install, when I started toying around with the magicstick on a new P6T machine I just built).

hey cool. I removed that kext, I thought ir resolved the problem, but It just happend again. I have the exact same problem you described with the 2 ethernet connections.

I'm not sure on how to completely resolve it, any ideas anyone? maybe another ethernet kext?

Target,

SparkDude

I'm running on a p6t standard, i7 920, ATI 4830. Installing OSX on a 16G SSD if that matters.

I've done an install using the gude here, coupled with some some work to make it work for the non-SE p6t that is posted around post 10. I've gotten a fully working install with the exception of the graphics card. Using a pkg found in this post I managed to brick the entire system rather than fix it. Being back on square one, I've decided to wait for the new magic stick method, as it seems generally more elegant, and I like the community here.

Welcome to any ideas, As I'd very much like to get a working system up asap, even if I have to wait a bit for full graphics support. Seems like with the magic stick method I can update the magic stick without having to do the install from scratch.

As to how my magic stick installs went, you can see where I was repeatedly getting stuck at post 321 of this thread.

Thanks,

Target

Hi Searay

Im a new comer to the osx on pc buisness, and until the new mac pro comes out, im thinking about trying out osx on my pc. I tired once with another guide also on this site, but didnt work out.

So i am eagerly waiting for the new magic stick, and hopefully that would do the job.

This is the spec of my machine, do you think there could be problems?

I7 920

p6t (standard)

3 2gb corsair memory

295 gtx graphics

Thanks for the work, and hope to try out the new magic stick soon.

One thing, the link to the bios screen shots doesnt work, is this because your site is down?

Alexdbad

I am trying to follow this guide but I can't get the downloads that I need from myapplepc.com :P

Does anybody have them?

http://redirectingat.com/?id=292X457&u...2Fsl%2FSLv3.zip

http://redirectingat.com/?id=292X457&u...tMagicStick.zip

Can you post them on a domain which is actually up?

Thanks!

There is a DNS issue currently which should be resolved shortly. Once that is fixed, you will be able to download the files.

MAJOR 64BIT Update:

Thanks for the user brue pointing something out to me - I realized that I omitted some files that I use and that I failed to build into the package to enable 64 bit. - the SLv3 Above has been corrected as of 9-28-09 at 17:00 PST so if you downloaded it after that then don't worry, you have the latest boot file which will automatically load the kernel as 64bit and the extensions as 32 (provided you edit the com.apple.Boot.plist and remove the arch=x86_32 and leave the -32) so just follow the instructions as defined above. For those of you already up and running you will want to update your boot file on your EFI drive with the one attached below in DSDT_kext_bootFor64Bit.zip and update the audio extensions even if you plan on running 32 bit.

Here is the Skinny - If your using a MagicStick EFI as recommended (as once again I don't believe in modding the SL install drive AT ALL including hijacking the EFI partition), download the attached below and copy the boot from it to the root of the EFI and the audio kexts from the below zip file to EFI/Extra/10.6/Extensions.

THE NEW MAGICSTICK BELOW IS FULLY CORRECTED FOR 64BIT OPERATION

Also, If your EFI is not visible on your desktop make it. You will want to right click (option click) it and un-check "Ignore ownership on this volume" as pictured below. Permissions HAVE TO BE ENABLED IF YOU PLAN ON RUNNING 64 BIT EXTENSIONS. They NEED be anyway since it fixes some bugs that appear when not enabled!

ignore.png

After you copy the files and no longer ignore owners, rebuild the Extensions.mkext by dragging EFI/Extra/10.6/Extensions over the Kext Utility.app

Edit your EFI/Extra/com.apple.boot.plist and remove the arch=x86_32. If you leave the -x32 you will be running the 64 bit kernel and 32 bit extensions as seen here,

64kern.png

As you can see, I am now running the 64 bit kernel and 32 bit extensions (like almost ALL Mac's released with SL are due to 64 bit extensions breaking a few programs)

To run 64 bit extensions edit the EFI/Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist so that the only kernel flag is SMBIOSdefaults=no and you will be running both kernel and extensions in 64 bit.

If you noticed, I also included brue's DSDT.aml - there is a bit of confusion between brue and I regarding the DSDT.aml and we are trying to figure it out - THe rule of thumb is that if you experience crashes and panics running 64 bit extensions try brue's DSDT.aml included in the attached below (also available in the newly updated EFI_v3.zip at the top of the guide) - IMPORTANT: His version will NOT work on machines without the updated boot file so those of you who installed before this update, make sure you downlowd the file below and update the Audio and boot files - they work with 32 bit and 64 bit extensions modes.

Also, un-checking the "Ignore ownership on this volume" on the EFI drive fixes sound temporarily breaking on -f boots!

A HUGE thanks to brue to pointing out my omission!

THE NEW MAGICSTICK BELOW IS FULLY CORRECTED

:)NOTE:

I am rebuilding the EFI_v3.dmg tonight to include the fixes - Also, with the latest EFI_v3 and the one to come, use brue's DSDT.aml - in the pack and attached below. I DID find errors in mine for 64bit operation - with the new boot file, brue's DSDT is correct - mine is not.

Have fun and I hope this works for everyone else - I will continue to proof read the guide for errors and omissions every chance I get!!!

Get the new MagicStick and i386 folder

HERE

-

I've been lurking on and off this thread for a few weeks now since the EFI got my current system working fairly well....errr...well that is when I don't change around something to hose the install. Granted that my system is technically not compatible with this guide, I had to do some creative rigging of my own to get it to work. Either way there are several parts of the guide that are ambiguous that I'd hope someone might clear up. What has me the most twisted in knots is what is written above.

In my case, I've been using Final Cut Studio 3 on a P6T-SE. I've been using the exact kexts that Searay put up for use with the P6T....but that could be due to my DSDT file. Why the file works for both the Rampage II Extreme and the P6T-SE is beyond my understanding, ESPECIALLY since it was created for the Rampage II Extreme for 10.5. Since we are not allowed to link to other forums, just search "Mickey Mouse Guide to iAKTOS" and then once you find the write-up by Pere, look for his DSDT file for the Rampage on the same forum. Sooner or later I'm going to try to further tweak the DSDT (or just hire Pere to do it again since I didn't pay for this first one) since the only thing that's screwed up is the bios vs. OSX clock.

Again, amazingly everything works with this DSDT and kext combo via this EFI method. I've been able to install on a striped RAID array, regular HD, SSD as well. I read once that to install to a RAID wasn't supported but I found that out after I had already pulled it off without a hitch so even that works without issue should anyone wonder.

Since I have 5 drives installed, running SL from my Falcon SSD, installing is tricky. At boot, after making sure the USB drive was showing as "HARD DISK" in the USB settings and then as the first drive and boot disk, save, exit, add the USB with SL, I needed to type:

rd=disk1s2 -v -F (note that small "f" is different but I never see this pointed out...at least on my system where -f doesn't do anything)

The install would take about 10-12 minutes and at least once I forgot that I was overclocked but it didn't affect the install. To boot, I would type:

rd=disk0s2 -v

Note that I had the SSD set to the "P0" port according to the bios after the installation had finished. I figured this out through process of elimination as well as some dumb luck.

NOW TO MY PROBLEM:

I have no idea if my extensions are in 32bit or 64bit mode and if it broke my Final Cut Studio install earlier where, upon booting when typing

rd=disk0s2 -v arch=i386

I was able to get FCS to work load up again. Note that according to the system specs, I was running the 64 bit kernel and extensions. In the guide above, it becomes very ambiguous where, as of today, there are corrections where it is stated that you need to add -x32 to not break certain programs but then later it said that the magic stick was fully corrected. I'm assuming that the corrected version v3.3 and NOT v3? I've been using v3.3 and I also am using the v10.5 boot file (forgot to mention that) when I setup my magic stick.

I just realized that the checkbox has not been unchecked since when I initially built my magic stick in my Macbook Pro that was running 10.6.1 server at the time. But that is also part of the ambiguity in that is the v3.3 corrected where you don't need to uncheck the box and repair the permissions? If this is the case, then is it also correct that the "corrected" 64 bit functionality won't break programs? It's kinda depressing to think that the most important programs I use (FCS, Logic, Photoshop, etc) may break if what the guide is covering doesn't protect them. A side-note is that Logic has been rock-solid so far while in 10.5, apps like Main Stage were highly unstable or refused to load at all.

As of now FC and its other related apps load up with speed that makes it seem like they are just slightly larger than 20kb assembly language based apps floating around. I'm just afraid of it deciding that it wants to "break" again out of the blue. Typing arch=i386 "fixed" it, but I've noticed several side effects such as hanging or taking 2 hours to repair permissions or 10 hours to move 90 gig of files (I fell asleep and woke up to it still copying) when using arch=i386. I was wondering if there was an explanation as to why the drive speed (on a RAID or G.Skill that otherwise run at ridiculous speed) slows to a crawl or sometimes stops when booting into 32 bit. I have looked at the smbios.plist and boot plist and I'm at a loss since I don't see what searay did to fix it...unless the key in in the DSDT.

Either way the fact that I'm running at full power and functionality has exceeded my expectations greatly and Searay's guide as been a key. If my questions have been answered earlier I apologize for the length of this post, but I didn't see anything when reading through the earlier pages unless I completely spaced out when skimming. Either way everyone owes Searay a debt of gratitude if they are up and running with a clean install. Where I live now, if I configured ONE Mac Pro to match my current setup it would cost well over $12,000...and I have several systems that COMBINED, are about half of that price. Of course I'll buy one of those beasts later, but right now a custom system needs to carry the load during these initial stages....and it does better than some Xeons I've touched.

Hopefully I can contribute on this thread but be warned that I don't read PM's :) so please keep questions on the board so all may benefit. Good luck on your assembly services Searay. I'm fairly familiar with the TOS of most web hosts, so if you are having a problem, take a look at Hostgator or purenrg systems. They are fairly liberal and they probably will host a "grey area" site...just be sure to change a few things about how you word your site since the original one looked too "Mac". Maybe a "Mac ready" site where you build it to be fully working with SL where they need to buy SL through a link from you like Amazon and then e-mail you the receipt and also when they purchase they sign the SL TOS contract? Just a couple of ideas to keep your side-business squeaky clean and not end up as another Phystar debacle heh heh

EDIT - Quick summary of questions to the above:

1) What is "correct" 64 bit operation? Is it where 32 bit applications can run, backwardly compatible, in an environment that is both 64 bit kext and kernel as shown in the System Specs? Does the DSDT make it compatible in this manner or is it the environment or tool used to edit the mkext that determines the compatibility of the extensions? In other words if I repair permissions in my Macbook when building a a magic stick using a 32 bit kext utility in a 32 bit enabled machine, does this mean that the extensions are 32 bit?

2) Do we need to uncheck "ignore ownership" or is this aspect of permissions already covered in the "fully corrected" magic stick?

3) Do we need to add -x32 to achieve 32 bit extensions on top of a 64 bit kernel? Here's where I'm starting to feel like an idiot for being excited about Snow Leopard since 10.5.8 was already more than fast and stable enough. If our extensions can now only boot to 32 bit and occupy the lower 4 gig of the RAM and the kernel also hangs out in the lowest level, then what's the point of this premature release? We really are just a bunch of TRUE beta testers who are working for Mac for free to fix all of their bugs and issues before they go to full 64 bit since they must know that most of us are booting in 64 bit. Free R&D for Mac and it gets us hooked on SL so Google will struggle to enter the OS market. But I digress...

4) If I'm showing as full 64 bit mode, why would apps like FCS, Mainstage, and even Geekbench be stable and usable and then suddenly stop working, be riddled with error messages if they do manage to load, and then be "repaired" by force booting into 32 bit mode and THEN confirmed as fixed by booting back into full 64 bit mode?

Hopefully that's the bulk of the things that have bothered me for weeks and it's clear and concise....at least I have a solid idea now of WHAT to ask now that I've sorted out all of the variables...and they are many.

Update attempt to 10.6.2:

I added disabler.kext, sleepenabler.kext, and nullcpupowermanagement.kext as per recommended by netkas. Audio and internet access have ceased to function even though I don't need internet. Audio, on the other hand, is a must.

Removing disabler has not helped and my cache cleaner won't work with 10.6.2 anymore. Ironically rebooting is faster. I'll try a voodoo audio but if this doesn't work I'll be rolling back to 10.6 or 10.6.1 unless someone else has found a solution to the audio, unless this is specific to the SE.

EDIT

I deleted the IONetworkFamily kext, rebuilt extensions.mkext and suddenly ethernet started working stock. After a dozen attempts, I finally did a combo rebuilding that got audio working: First using 64 bit capable kext utility to rebuild the folder and mkext followed by repairing the 2 audio kexts with kext helper.

64 bit is horridly slow however and 32 bit isn't much better. Ironically they show equal geekbench scores of 11,000 whether in 32 bit or 64 bit mode.

Screw this...I'm rolling back to 10.6.1 until someone figures out an actual benefit to upgrade to 10.6.2. So far my processor is "unknown" and I even rebuilt my DSDT file to show 77 optimizations and 0 errors. While just speculation, I feel that Apple made this build tricky since otherwise it was becoming more and more obvious that they are gearing up to compete with Google OS. Now they have the plausible deniability they need from time to time. I'm sure .3 and .4 will be a piece of cake.

I see that myapplepc.com is up and working again but the links to the necessary file downloads are not working ;(

http://www.myapplepc.com/sl/SLv3.zip

http://www.myapplepc.com/sl/10-8-09_LatestMagicStick.zip

I want to 'do the Hackintosh thang' this weekend. I don't feel bad about this because I have a legal copy of Snow Leopard which I am not using. I own 3(!) legitimate Macs ( one is running Ubuntu as a home server and I want to make my gaming PC a Hackintosh for when I am not gaming on it which admittedly isn't very often but sometimes I need to do some work and I am NOT digging the whole Windows 7 deal and I am not paying 4.000 bucks for similarly specced Mac Pro when I already have a perfectly good Core i7 box already )

I have a jumping mousecursor. As if the mouse is stopping for the fraction of a second and moves then again. Does anybody encountered the same problem?

I have a GF9800GTX and used osx86Tools to generate the korrekt EFI-strings for my videocard. Could someone post the correct EFI-strings for a 9800GTX?

This is what the System-Profiler says:

NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX DDL:

Chipsatz-Modell: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX DDL

Typ: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe-Lane-Breite: x16

VRAM (gesamt): 512 MB

Hersteller: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Geräte-ID: 0x0613

Versions-ID: 0x00a2

ROM-Version: 3172a

Monitore:

DELL 2005FPW:

Auflösung: 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz

Pixeltiefe: 32-Bit Farbe (ARGB8888)

Hauptmonitor: Ja

Synchronisierung: Aus

Eingeschaltet: Ja

Rotation: Unterstützt

hp L2035:

Auflösung: 1600 x 1200 @ 60 Hz

Pixeltiefe: 32-Bit Farbe (ARGB8888)

Synchronisierung: Aus

Eingeschaltet: Ja

Rotation: Unterstützt

Thanks in advance,

Solo

I managed to get 10.6.2 fully working in my pc and is really fast. Faster than 10.6.1.

My system is: p6t + i7 920 + 6gb ram + gtx 260

I'm a newbie to the Hackintosh world so I really can't describe step by step the right procedure because I really don't fully understand a lot of the things that I have tried to achieve the goal. :huh:

I used a lot of info from HERE.

I started with magic stick created with the dmg file from the first post in this thread and after a lot of tries finally changed this things:

1- "boot" file taken from PC EFI 10.5 from netkas site (don't think it's necessary)

2- dsdt file from the site linked above

3- remove all kext from EXTRA/Extension

4- put in EXTRA/Extension the kext from the attached file + fakesmc.kext (see netkas.org for latest SL version) + audio kext from this thread http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=161430

5- removed old kext from Library/Extension on Snow Leopard drive and installed the new ones with KextHelper and Kextutility

The only thing not working is cpu detection (any idea?? I read that with PC EFI 10.5 my cpu should be recognized...)

I know this is not really a guide, I only hope that my work can be useful to someone with more experience than me in the hackintosh world.

P.S. Sorry for my english! :(

p6tkext1062.zip