Install Guide for Snow Leopard on a P6T (non deluxe)

Searay_X

Please tell me about your experience with this guide ;)  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Was this helpful?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Did it work for you?

• Yes
    • No

550 posts in this topic

I haven't been able to pull up the link you sent (silly work website blocking), but I think you bought the Mac Box Set. That allows you to install OS X, iLife, and iWork to a single (1) computer. If you had not bought Leopard previously, then you did indeed purchase the correct item from Apple.

Yea that's indeed the one I bought...

Phew, after all this waiting to get it from USA I thought it wasn't the right one :wacko:..

Anyways, I will be waiting for the new guide and then try it then!

Thanks for all the help guyz!

PS: I ordered a Macbook Pro that will have Leopard pre installed, what I need to buy for it is the 29$ version of SL?

Btw, are there all the language keyboard inputs on Leopard? For example, Greek.

Yea that's indeed the one I bought...

Phew, after all this waiting to get it from USA I thought it wasn't the right one :wacko:..

Anyways, I will be waiting for the new guide and then try it then!

Thanks for all the help guyz!

PS: I ordered a Macbook Pro that will have Leopard pre installed, what I need to buy for it is the 29$ version of SL?

Btw, are there all the language keyboard inputs on Leopard? For example, Greek.

yes - during install under customize/language - and refer to my post above - you can upgrade from the pack you already purchased

hmm, nah, screw it tbh. I'll buy the upgrade to my Macbook Pro and I'll just use this Mac Box Set for my P6T pc.

Lookin forward to your guide mate! Amazing that with all the work you'll have done we won't even be needing Access to Mac.

You'll make it sooooo simple! <3 you.

Well i got it installed :) Thanks Searay_X you work hard to help very rare nowaday.

now to figure out video any thoughts ?

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 32 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x05e3

Revision ID: 0x00a1

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Thanks Ryan for everything :D

Here is my new geekbench results

Geekbench reults

post-235271-1255609109_thumb.png

Nice Geekbench score. I've got you beaten by just a tad, and I'm running at 3.6Ghz instead of 4.0.

If you want Geekbench to show the correct processor speed, then you can update the smbios.plist file (inside the Extra folder) on your EFI magic stick. You do this by opening it in TextEditor and looking for the following key(s):

<key>SMmaximalclock</key>

<string>3600</string>

Change the 3600 to 4000 for you (and then reboot of course) and it will display the speed properly.

You can also look in the file and change your memory speed if you want to (among other things)... :angel:

Good news - With the initial help of brue and now bamf and a few others (there will be a credits section) I now have a complete solution and simplified installation.

Here is what's coming;

1. A new FINAL pack

2. A boot-132 CD for "virgin" installations

3. A revised guide with the updates stripped and it will be cleaner and more simple

4. Shell scripts to automate tasks for people new to this

5. Enhancements to the Final pack giving a complete set of tools

6. Separate notes for newbies and pros with readme files, links to GFX functionality/EFI strings and more!

The video walk-through is still coming but I am waiting on the above to be posted before I do since the video will need some edits.

I am working hard to post this ALL tonight. Anyone attempting the guide for the first time should wait until tonight/tomorrow. Those of you up and running should use the new files for updating your current install.

Once again I will try my hardest to get this all up tonight!

Regards,

Ryan

BTW - I will be out of contact for a few hours so if you PM me you will not get a response until later...

Man thanks a lot!

I tried the one with the efi stick but my friend was to scared and i could not come up with a working mac os.

If you would post it it would be soo cool!

Man you are the best! I really appreciate your work!

I will try out the tutorial next week, if it comes out as i have vacation.

Man i hope this time it will wokr :thumbsup_anim:

Man it is like christmas for me. ;):P

It actually is snowing here :D lol

i've tried everything and I don't know why am I getting stuck in "Not loading kext com.apple.driver.acpi_SMC....." the IOHPI or something like that... I think I did everything you said with EFI ... this error means what? thank you

IOAPIC: Version 0×20 Vectors 64:87

IOAPIC: Version 0×20 Vectors 88:111

hangs here...

i've tried everything and I don't know why am I getting stuck in "Not loading kext com.apple.driver.acpi_SMC....." the IOHPI or something like that... I think I did everything you said with EFI ... this error means what? thank you

IOAPIC: Version 0�20 Vectors 64:87

IOAPIC: Version 0�20 Vectors 88:111

hangs here...

It means you're probably doing it wrong, i.e, not a plain p6t, you choosed wrong efi, you did not read the full tutorial,... you really should not try everything but just, re-read everything.

Good luck.

It means you're probably doing it wrong, i.e, not a plain p6t, you choosed wrong efi, you did not read the full tutorial,... you really should not try everything but just, re-read everything.

Good luck.

i am doing everything... it's a plain p6t I bought my pc piece by piece i know that it is... what are your bios specs?

i am doing everything... it's a plain p6t I bought my pc piece by piece i know that it is... what are your bios specs?

Page 1 has screenshots of the BIOS settings you need to make this run. Head back over to that page and make sure you have the right settings.

Let me ask you a few questions though:

1. Can you list out all of the hardware in the PC for us please?

2. Is your system currently overclocked?

3. What SATA port on the MB is your HD plugged into? Are you using the ICH10 RAID?

4. Are you using the latest Magic Stick setup that is found at the END of the first post?

Thanks,

Bamf

Page 1 has screenshots of the BIOS settings you need to make this run. Head back over to that page and make sure you have the right settings.

Let me ask you a few questions though:

1. Can you list out all of the hardware in the PC for us please?

2. Is your system currently overclocked?

3. What SATA port on the MB is your HD plugged into? Are you using the ICH10 RAID?

4. Are you using the latest Magic Stick setup that is found at the END of the first post?

Thanks,

Bamf

1. MB - P6T plain, 6gb DDR3, ATI hd4870 1gb...2 Hard drive 1500gb and 320 gb.. one cd drive non sata

2 and 3. No.. that's why i didn't put all the options in the photos the same because some settings are overclock... I have one drive plugged Sata 1 and other Sata 5... i'm not using raid.. just ahci

4. Yes.. the SLv3.3... i think the problem is in the kexts or DSDT... what do you think?.. i made the EFI USB stick but only with stock kext...

thank you for your help

Is there a download that you can just reimage to a harddrive like i did with os x 10.5 that just works? It was really smart just pointed to load on to hdd disk 2 in windows and the drive was imaged. Removed the drive stuck it in my laptop and bingo os loaded. I appreciate all the hard work you guys do here even if i, asking for a simple lazy way to install snow leapard.

thanks

Raider

1. MB - P6T plain, 6gb DDR3, ATI hd4870 1gb...2 Hard drive 1500gb and 320 gb.. one cd drive non sata

2 and 3. No.. that's why i didn't put all the options in the photos the same because some settings are overclock... I have one drive plugged Sata 1 and other Sata 5... i'm not using raid.. just ahci

4. Yes.. the SLv3.3... i think the problem is in the kexts or DSDT... what do you think?.. i made the EFI USB stick but only with stock kext...

thank you for your help

Are you having problems before or after you get to the installation? Is OS X installing all the way if you are getting to the installation?

The dsdt.aml file should be fine. We may need Ryan to help you out with your video card though since the com.apple.boot.plist assumes you have an Nvidia card...

Is there a download that you can just reimage to a harddrive like i did with os x 10.5 that just works? It was really smart just pointed to load on to hdd disk 2 in windows and the drive was imaged. Removed the drive stuck it in my laptop and bingo os loaded. I appreciate all the hard work you guys do here even if i, asking for a simple lazy way to install snow leapard.

thanks

Raider

This installation method is incredibly easy - and it will be even easier once Ryan posts the Boot-132 installation files. Have you given this method a shot yet? This method is not one where you download a copy of OS X from the Internet. This uses a full retail copy to give you a Vanilla installation that you can then update completely from Apple - which is MUCH better since those other "distributions" and methods can't be upgraded nearly as easily.

Are you having problems before or after you get to the installation? Is OS X installing all the way if you are getting to the installation?

The dsdt.aml file should be fine. We may need Ryan to help you out with your video card though since the com.apple.boot.plist assumes you have an Nvidia card...

This installation method is incredibly easy - and it will be even easier once Ryan posts the Boot-132 installation files. Have you given this method a shot yet? This method is not one where you download a copy of OS X from the Internet. This uses a full retail copy to give you a Vanilla installation that you can then update completely from Apple - which is MUCH better since those other "distributions" and methods can't be upgraded nearly as easily.

I'm having problems when I wan't to get to the instalation... It stucks when I reboot the first time after creating EFI...

Nice Geekbench score. I've got you beaten by just a tad, and I'm running at 3.6Ghz instead of 4.0.

If you want Geekbench to show the correct processor speed, then you can update the smbios.plist file (inside the Extra folder) on your EFI magic stick. You do this by opening it in TextEditor and looking for the following key(s):

<key>SMmaximalclock</key>

<string>3600</string>

Change the 3600 to 4000 for you (and then reboot of course) and it will display the speed properly.

You can also look in the file and change your memory speed if you want to (among other things)... :ninja:

Its worked for me ;) , thanks

Geekbench

I'm having problems when I wan't to get to the instalation... It stucks when I reboot the first time after creating EFI...

Two things:

1. You are sure you followed step 10 and did it properly?

2. Do you have a P6T SE by any chance?

yes i did what it says to do... i really don't understand what is happening... maybe a faulty dmg of SL... I don't know what to do more.. the installer gets stuck on what i said...

Did you make the OS X install dmg/USB stick from a retail DVD, or from something you downloaded?

I would try a retail copy because this method does work.

P.S. Don't steal software. :P

Sorry peeps - I got called in on assignment but I am off today and tomorrow and have the files to revamp the guide - posting by Sunday afternoon/evening for certain.

As bamf put it - this method does work but has rarely worked with pirated copies - I WILL NOT support anyone nor give advice to ANYONE that has an illegal copy - sorry to sound harsh and I don't mean to sound rude but consider the fact that your already getting a Mac for around 1/3 the cost of one of equal value - Just BUY SL - You didn't steal the hardware did you? Why would the software be any different?

The following is just an opinion but it is my belief that the more Apple sees sales/profits from their OS and the more we support the product in that manner, the better the chances that Apple will eventually come to their senses and make it available to the masses (or at least keep it fairly simple to make work on a standard PC). It is simple economics.

Thanks again bamf for filling in for me and your contributions to the community.

Regards,

Ryan

Another thing to add about pirated copies of Apple software (since everyone here may not be aware of it) is that in the recent past some of the torrents with Apple software have actually contained trojans that have been inserted into them.

Given the cost of OS X is not very high and the fact that it's superior to Windows - just go ahead and plunk down the money for the OS - if only to make sure you're not installing a pre-hijacked OS.

Sorry peeps - I got called in on assignment but I am off today and tomorrow and have the files to revamp the guide - posting by Sunday afternoon/evening for certain.

As bamf put it - this method does work but has rarely worked with pirated copies - I WILL NOT support anyone nor give advice to ANYONE that has an illegal copy - sorry to sound harsh and I don't mean to sound rude but consider the fact that your already getting a Mac for around 1/3 the cost of one of equal value - Just BUY SL - You didn't steal the hardware did you? Why would the software be any different?

The following is just an opinion but it is my belief that the more Apple sees sales/profits from their OS and the more we support the product in that manner, the better the chances that Apple will eventually come to their senses and make it available to the masses (or at least keep it fairly simple to make work on a standard PC). It is simple economics.

Thanks again bamf for filling in for me and your contributions to the community.

Regards,

Ryan

I really have to agree it is only 30 euro but to say it is superior to windows is harsch.

I am writing this from windows :P