Install Guide for Snow Leopard on a P6T (non deluxe)

Searay_X

Please tell me about your experience with this guide ;)  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Was this helpful?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Did it work for you?

• Yes
    • No

550 posts in this topic

I'm having ethernet and hard drive issues.

It takes forever to mount and unmount anything that's not the SL drive.

and the ethernet never pulls an IP. been busy at work, haven't had time to mess with it, or even research them.

anyone else have these issues?

Oh well I was praying today was the day for the new release :( . It must be alot more of a pain for SeaRay_X

I wish him luck and some time to relax it well deserved. thanks for all your hard work.

Jim

Today is the day ;)

I now have tested my ATI cards, boot 132 and other files/hardware. I am compiling the files reformatting the guide - All of this was held up until I had final material.

I am half way through the instructions as of the moment...

Regards,

Ryan

:):unsure: Great you are the man ;) I wish i had some of your mac skills. I will keep learning with the help you and some others Thanks

Almost - My Winblows based server is giving me hell - I am a few hundred miles from it so all I am waiting on now is my associate to go to the office and reset the FTP server so I can get in - due to security, I don't have too many openings so the only resolve is to have him reset it... Everything is tested and done though.

Bear with me just a bit longer ;)

Regards,

Ryan

Guys and gals - PCEFI 10.4.1 with CPU Detect was released on the 13th and I have just received a modified copy that is a needed and a welcome update - I am busting my hump to quickly update all the files and guide -

This is an important update and we owe a great debt of gratitude to Netkas for this much needed update.

I WILL be posting shortly but I have to mod a few files.

Sorry but this needed update did put me behind yet again.

Without doubt - unless I die (lets hop not - or at least I hope not) there will be NEW posts and modified guide today!!!

Regards,

Ryan

Guys and gals - PCEFI 10.4.1 with CPU Detect was released on the 13th and I have just received a modified copy that is a needed and a welcome update - I am busting my hump to quickly update all the files and guide -

This is an important update and we owe a great debt of gratitude to Netkas for this much needed update.

I WILL be posting shortly but I have to mod a few files.

Sorry but this needed update did put me behind yet again.

Without doubt - unless I die (lets hop not - or at least I hope not) there will be NEW posts and modified guide today!!!

Regards,

Ryan

Take your time Ryan everything you need I think everyone including me will support you! what sort of modifications does that PCEFI 10.4.1 brings? thank you very much in advance

Hi Ryan,

PC-efi 1.5 was just made public, so I think that is the version you will want to include.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=193251

Cheers

Ric

Thank you - I caught that which is why there is yet another delay with my final version :angry2:

I have been up since 3 am trying to run through everything and insure it is all thorough, easy to follow and compatible with several configurations.

Thanks again,

Ryan

Thank you - I caught that which is why there is yet another delay with my final version :D

I have been up since 3 am trying to run through everything and insure it is all thorough, easy to follow and compatible with several configurations.

Thanks again,

Ryan

The community thanks you for your efforts Ryan. Get some sleep though... :D

The community thanks you for your efforts Ryan. Get some sleep though... :D

Thanks - I wish I could but there are some issues -

1. Boot 132 is so far not proving to be a reliable method due to the ABSOLUTE need for the proper DSDT.aml on the boards which is not always loaded with a CD boot 132 (this is a commonly known issue) - I am not saying that a "virgin install" is not possible; quite contrary since that is what the guide illustrates. I do it all the time; its just that doing it via my magic stick is so far the only 100% reliable method - problem is that it takes another mac to build/restore the files. I am looking for a fix but so far nothing is rock solid - I am currently going back and forth with windows and testing a method of restoring the magic stick from within windows and cloning the mac install CD from within windows. This is a far better idea since I now have the MagicStick to where you do not need step 10 or 11 from the guide.

2. ATI cards with the new PC EFI are a better method - I am having to build a complete subset of various MagStick files to try to accommodate ATI users.

3. Every time I change my method for those without access to a Mac it delays me posting the new guide.

If the windows restore method works, I can and will post today - otherwise, I will rework the guide, post the ATI and Nvidia packs and instruct those without a Mac to either hold off until I build a rock solid boot 132, install 10.5.x to restore the files, borrow a friends Mac or search the web in hope of an alternate method. I have tried custom Boot 132 CD's, pre-packed and script based builds with shaky results at best between different machines (and forget it if you have an LG Blu Ray R/RW).

Regards,

Ryan

I got the day off had to get flu shots as I am a EMT for 5yrs now before that22 yrs a shipfitter building subs in Groton Conn. my boss said I have to much OT 65hrs last week lol. So I am ready. running snow 10.6.1 but i want to fine tune with your nvidia ver. Thanks Searay_X

Thanks - I wish I could but there are some issues -

1. Boot 132 is so far not proving to be a reliable method due to the ABSOLUTE need for the proper DSDT.aml on the boards which is not always loaded with a CD boot 132 (this is a commonly known issue) - I am not saying that a "virgin install" is not possible; quite contrary since that is what the guide illustrates. I do it all the time; its just that doing it via my magic stick is so far the only 100% reliable method - problem is that it takes another mac to build/restore the files. I am looking for a fix but so far nothing is rock solid - I am currently going back and forth with windows and testing a method of restoring the magic stick from within windows and cloning the mac install CD from within windows. This is a far better idea since I now have the MagicStick to where you do not need step 10 or 11 from the guide.

2. ATI cards with the new PC EFI are a better method - I am having to build a complete subset of various MagStick files to try to accommodate ATI users.

3. Every time I change my method for those without access to a Mac it delays me posting the new guide.

If the windows restore method works, I can and will post today - otherwise, I will rework the guide, post the ATI and Nvidia packs and instruct those without a Mac to either hold off until I build a rock solid boot 132, install 10.5.x to restore the files, borrow a friends Mac or search the web in hope of an alternate method. I have tried custom Boot 132 CD's, pre-packed and script based builds with shaky results at best between different machines (and forget it if you have an LG Blu Ray R/RW).

Regards,

Ryan

hey ryan, you can just make an iso image of the efi stick so that you can burn a cd in windows and boot with that?

hey ryan, you can just make an iso image of the efi stick so that you can burn a cd in windows and boot with that?

Thats one of the methods I am testing but with a bit of a twist - more on this shortly.

I also have an idea I am toying with in creating a CD like DiskWarrior does except it will include scripts to restore the magic stick and CD image - just a thought - it may work well since it will offer the user the ability to edit files while booted on it. Like I said - I am just toying with the concept. I figured "why not" since I have dedicated so much time to this anyway :rolleyes:

Regards,

Ryan

is there any benefit updating to the upcoming new version for a already working efi stick and installation?

Rule of thumb - if its not broken, don't fix it.

I will add that there are a few new features such as GFX detection and a few smbios keys but if your smbios.plist is correct and reflects your CPU and QPI (AKA bus speed) then no - none that is obvious.

But to be honest, all you have to do is replace the boot file on the root of your MagicStick so if you want to, go ahead. As soon as I get a solution for people without a mac to restore the MagicStick to a flash drive I will post everything and with more thorough instructions ;)

Regards,

Ryan

This is the com.apple.Boot.plist I use for my gtx 275 SLI setup. This should work for a single gtx 295 out of the box.

com.apple.Boot.plist.zip

Copy it to your EFI Extra and to Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

Here you can download the patched NVDAResman kext:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=A4VWZWYA

Good luck,

bRue.

Hello bRue Can you Help me with my GTX275 On Snow 10.6.1(Update) ?

My Resolution now is 1280 x 1024 (I'm Sure You Know How it looks !! Without openGL-CL ect.. :(

I have Tried All the Drivers From 10.5 (GTX 275 Worked PERFECT in 10.5) on Snow at 32Bit But NOTHING

Now I will try NVDAResman.kext and com.apple.Boot.plist That you've Post.

Thanks Anyway !!! :P

KEEP SNOWING !!!

No.

hey i wanted to ask something maybe off topic....

Is SLI working for os x? I have a 9800GT if I get another one exactly the same, can I run SLI in os x?

thanks.

Now I will try NVDAResman.kext and com.apple.Boot.plist That you've Post.

@Supernovagr: Then try, but the efi strings are for a SLI setup.

@all:

SLI SETUP => OSX NOT DETECTING IT AS SLI (osx will detect two cards, but SLI won't be supported by osx, anytime.). However, these two devices could be used for openCL (not openGL, note the C and the G).

Nvidia users could try the <Graphics_Enabler> option with the Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist . It might work.... Read the netkas documentation about pc_efi v1.4 or 1.5 (sometimes you'll find the info quicker just by queryng google). Using this option, pcEFI will insert gfx EFI strings for you, so there's no need of creating them manually.

@Brue:

Did you try with the Netkas enabler and 2 cards?

I have two cards working fine with EFI strings on Apple.com playlist, but is always welcome to make it simple, like enabling the netkas thing, but I remember reading someplace else that is it was not working for two cads (1.4 version).

Ric

@Brue:

Did you try with the Netkas enabler and 2 cards?

I have two cards working fine with EFI strings on Apple.com playlist, but is always welcome to make it simple, like enabling the netkas thing, but I remember reading someplace else that is it was not working for two cads (1.4 version).

Ric

It did not work for me the time I tryed. But I think It will (sooner or later), so we'll have a more generic setup :(

It did not work for me the time I tryed. But I think It will (sooner or later), so we'll have a more generic setup ;)

I have been working extensively today with SLI and made some major progress.

I am finishing up the readme files and the SEVERAL com.apple.Boot.plist files - post shortly - I will be pulling the guide down shortly.

GENERAL NOTICE - Anyone that is new and has quoted me and happened to include my guide in their quote, I ask that you please remove the quote as to not cause confusion.

Regards,

Ryan

Unfotunately, I still have Problems with the Performance of my installed SL. It feels completely laggish. Scrolling in Safari with mousewheel is like the website needs to accelerate and brake. Moving windows is as if the window is moving behind the mousepointer. Sometimes my mousepointer jumps a few pixels. I have a Macbook and there I don't have these Probleme (since it's a real Mac of course).

I have a GF9800gtx and used OSX86Tools to insert a correct EFI-String. Maybe there wnt something wrong?

Can anybody help me?

Solo