Install Guide for Snow Leopard on a P6T (non deluxe)

Searay_X

Please tell me about your experience with this guide ;)  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Was this helpful?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Did it work for you?

• Yes
    • No

550 posts in this topic

You are sure you have the P6T, and not the P6T SE or P6T Deluxe? Those boards have a different network controller.

Edit: You can also try to rebuild your kext cache as described earlier in the thread using Kext Utility.

yes,im using P6T. no deluxe, no SE, no anything.

will try to rebuil kext cache again and inform later.

wow what a fantastic guide, thank you kind sir, what has baffled me for nights has been solved by you and it only took me a few hours to do! Everything is working (after I replaced my ATI 4850 with a GF 7900GT), I might look at the ATI later... or maybe not..... Big Thanks!

No problem - brue, bamf and others have been very helpful in making this happen.

On a side note I would like to take this opportunity to apologize to everyone for taking so long on the revised guide but between work, my company and personal life I have greatly underestimated the time needed to create strings and various versions for people with different cards such as ATI (hard to test since I don't use ATI and am relying on other people I am testing with to report back the progress/functionality).

Since I am trying to do an absolute FINAL I may choose to do 2 releases. One release for Nvidia users and one for ATI users. This will allow me to post more quickly - the delay is that I cannot test the ATI cards and once again am relying on others with ATI cards to report to me what is working.

So my concept at the moment is to release the Nvidia pack that will let you choose which card you have ranging from 512 to 2GB 8xxx, 9xxx and GTX series and then to later release the ATI pack when I have verified all the files work properly for the various cards.

The only difference between the two packs will be the com.apple.Boot.plist selection and possibly the addition of a kext...

If I do this I may be able to post as soon as tonight since the Nvidia pack is pretty much complete. This will also help experienced users tinker with getting their ATI card working since the magic stick is easily editable and the difference between the two packs will pretty much be strings - ATI users can just choose the "ethernet only" com.apple.Boot.plist and build on that. This may be the best approach for the community.

A quick afterthought as I have been typing this - I failed to consider that this will affect the boot-132. I have a "generic" Nvidia string that works with many cards tested to get acceleration during install and first boot for people that do not have access to a real Mac to build the Magic Stick. This makes it much more pleasant to install and build the magic stick post install - I would like to be able to do this for ATI users - Perhaps I am making this too complex and should just make the boot 132 generic and let the user build the magic stick post-install with either the ATI or Nvidia pack.

I will add that if I force the installer to 32 bit mode the file ATY_Inint.kext works for many ATI and Nvidia cards and I could possibly just use that method for the boot 132 - It does not mean you will be running 32 bit once finished, it just means you will be installing in 32 bit mode until you build your Magic Stick - maybe this is the best approach. (I suppose I could just go in to the "Magic Stick" building business and sell them - JK - LOL :) )

- I am open to suggestions on that topic...

Once again, I am sorry for the delays.

Regards,

Ryan

Hey Thanks for the guide!

I am a ATI user and do not have a mac.

Just bring out the cd and i will try it and will write you if something goes wrong.

I have th ati hd 4870 gpu and it is the same as the Apple ones. So it should me fine or?

The_old_PC can you install snow leopard on your p6t with ati 4870 ? i have one too and I can't.... i would like to know what you do if you can help me

Sorry it did not work yet until now i am waiting for Ryan I hope he brings it out than i can help you.

try with Iatkos distro... it works for me...

Searay I think I found my problem.... ATI HD4870 I had to use EVOenabler.kext and now i have another problem that is Mouse and keyboard that are PS2 and the installer don't recognize them... do i use apple ps2 kext or another one? than

SeaRay,

Thanks for all your hard work. Currently have SL on it's own 1gb WD Black on sata0 and XP and Win7 on another WD Black on sata1. I like the idea of the EFI being 'portable' but this option feels like the weakest link on my machine if that makes any sense lol.. it works great, but i'd love to figure out how to use chameleon to dual boot between my darwin loader and windows loader with sata1 being the bootable drive in my bios.

I'm working now on setting up my gtx275 drivers.

also, are there any other programs like iStat that have temperature sensor drivers for our setups?

sorry for all the questions, and thanks for all the hard work!

also, are there any other programs like iStat that have temperature sensor drivers for our setups?

I'm using Temperature Monitor currently to monitor the CPU temps. iStat menus did not work for the CPU - only for the HDs for me.

If anyone else has something that works better than Temperature Monitor let us know as I'm interested as well.

try with Iatkos distro... it works for me...

Searay I think I found my problem.... ATI HD4870 I had to use EVOenabler.kext and now i have another problem that is Mouse and keyboard that are PS2 and the installer don't recognize them... do i use apple ps2 kext or another one? than

Sorry but if i install something it has to be perfect and iaktos is just not good enough :poster_oops:

I want one with updates and so on.

Man looking forward to it Ryan!!

:hysterical:

Sorry but if i install something it has to be perfect and iaktos is just not good enough :(

:D

For the moment those of you having issues with ATI cards can try ATY_Init.kext and boot using the "-x32" flag. You will need the device properties string in your com.apple.boot.plist to ONLY reflect the onboard ethernet. I will attach the two files to this post in a bit - Actually I will rebuild a Magic Stick with the proper parameters - All you will have to do is restore it and nothing else - This is a bandaid but will at least get you going for the moment - hopefully...

I am working hard on this today - I will have some free time shortly and will dedicate it to finishing up the files/guide here for both Nvidia and ATI users.

Regards,

Ryan

HERE IS THE TEMP EXPERIMENTAL MAGIC STICK FOR ATI USERS - Please note that this is a bandaide - all you need to do is restore it and boot. It is ready to go - do NOT rebuild the extensions cache until your up and runnning. This will boot a 64 bit kernel with 32 bit extensions. The com.apple.boot.Plist has only the EFI string for the onboard ethernet.

I need feedback - If your sound does not work let me know and I will provide 2 32 bit only sound kexts to replace the ones on the Magic Stick.

Sorry but if i install something it has to be perfect and iaktos is just not good enough :D

:D

you didn't understand... what I did was install iatkos just so I could build the EFI stick... then I bought original Mac Snow Leopard and putted a kext for ati card that works with mine that is EVOenabler.kext and it worked just believe I was stuck before installer and putted that kext and it worked...

Searay_X how can I test if my uuid is right? and how can I change the wrong information when I click "about this mac"

you didn't understand... what I did was install iatkos just so I could build the EFI stick... then I bought original Mac Snow Leopard and putted a kext for ati card that works with mine that is EVO and it worked

Oh ok which iaktos did you use and what settings?

I think Ryan will bring out the boot 132 cd anyway so i will see.

Thanks anyway

I'm using Temperature Monitor currently to monitor the CPU temps. iStat menus did not work for the CPU - only for the HDs for me.

If anyone else has something that works better than Temperature Monitor let us know as I'm interested as well.

So far, Temperature Monitor.app is about the best thing I have found as well...

One note about it - Just in case you didn't know - The reason that it only give 4 readings for the i7 is due to HT. The I7 is a quad core with HT so there is no core temperature for the additional threads of each core since the additional thread is derived from a single core - the OS views each thread as a core but the CPU does not output information for the temperature of a thread. So if the reason some of you are looking for something better is that you don't see 8 temperatures for the CPU there are not 8 temps to report.

It works great for me so far as I can see...

Ryan

And yes - I intend on releasing a lot today :D

Hi Ryan, hope you'll help me. I have problem installing snowleo because of low sata speed. its just hangs for a while (aprx 5 min) every time when i try do something in disk util. I thought if i use brue's DSDT.aml everything will be ok, but my system hangs during loading install. i have P6T with 0707 bios ver, i7 920. just don't know what to do.

p.s. sorry if i made some grammar mistakes.

Hey Ryan,

Just curious how you edited the bios to add the apple splash screen? I'd like to edit the new 0801 bios to do the same. Thanks!

Also, is anyone having any problems with ethernet? Tried to rebuild caches and everything seems okay, but sometimes it cannot get an IP through DHCP, and it does not work when i assign it one. Everything works in windows though, so i'm curious. I'm on a vanilla p6t board

Thanks!

Hey Ryan,

Just curious how you edited the bios to add the apple splash screen? I'd like to edit the new 0801 bios to do the same. Thanks!

Also, is anyone having any problems with ethernet? Tried to rebuild caches and everything seems okay, but sometimes it cannot get an IP through DHCP, and it does not work when i assign it one. Everything works in windows though, so i'm curious. I'm on a vanilla p6t board

Thanks!

/EDIT

0801 is here in this topic - I posted it - Just filter my posts and you should see it attached to one of them. Post #128 - HERE is a link to it.

Asus gives you an app to edit the BIOS boot logo with the CD - Takes a windows install to do it.

/EDIT

Regarding the onboard Ethernet - This is typically due to a small glitch in IONetworking - I have not given up on the onboard as it appears to be working perfectly for me under the latest pack I am trying to release today. When I did experience it I simply rebooted with the -v -f flags and the rebooted and it would go away. Nonetheless, on machines I have released, they were equipped with a PCI network card and the onboard was plugged with a rubber molded plug and disabled in BIOS. In other words, I do not fully trust the onboard until I have used it under the new pack for a while.

Ok - I am about done with the Nvidia pack and verified working boot 132. I need some help though to verify my strings.

For those of you with GTX 2xx series cards that are running ONLY an EFI string to get HW acceleration (as in NO Injectors) please PM me with your com.apple.Boot.plist attached.

I want to confirm/combine some elements to insure they DO work - I am confident in my work but this will help me to insure that the modified com.apple.Boot.plist files I am providing will function 100%.

Also, ATI users - Look above to post #241 about the ATI band-aid - I have posted the pre-hidden magic stick. To further edit the stick easily I suggest installing the ShowAllFiles.app and use terminal to change the root password (shown in the current guide), log off from your current user and log in as root at the log in screen. This will give you the ability to edit the stick from within finder (i.e. Text Edit) instead of having to use terminal.

Thanks,

Ryan

Ok - I am about done with the Nvidia pack and verified working boot 132. I need some help though to verify my strings.

For those of you with GTX 2xx series cards that are running ONLY an EFI string to get HW acceleration (as in NO Injectors) please PM me with your com.apple.Boot.plist attached.

I want to confirm/combine some elements to insure they DO work - I am confident in my work but this will help me to insure that the modified com.apple.Boot.plist files I am providing will function 100%.

Also, ATI users - Look above to post #241 about the ATI band-aid - I have posted the pre-hidden magic stick. To further edit the stick easily I suggest installing the ShowAllFiles.app and use terminal to change the root password (shown in the current guide), log off from your current user and log in as root at the log in screen. This will give you the ability to edit the stick from within finder (i.e. Text Edit) instead of having to use terminal.

Thanks,

Ryan

So basically i still need a working mac install.

Ok i will try the version rbanaco suggested.

After the install is on i will just follow the guide without modding osx anyfurther.

Or do i need something spezial to do this guide?

@rbanaco

Which Ati gpu do you have and which lext did you use?

Can i use the fi tempfix ati efi.dmg