Install Guide for Snow Leopard on a P6T (non deluxe)

Searay_X

Please tell me about your experience with this guide ;)  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Was this helpful?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Did it work for you?

• Yes
    • No

550 posts in this topic

Guys and gals - the guide links will be down today as the new one is being posted - we are also moving our servers so there will be a downtime of today only.

I am sorry for my brief disappearance from the topic but I have been very busy with my work.

I am free to post the new guide, files and other related items today.

Good deal Ryan. Thanks again for all the help.

For those that are interested...

I got an Apple Magic Mouse on Friday, and have it "working" on the P6T setup. However, in the last few days I have seen a good deal of Kernel Panics. I also updated to VMWare Fusion 3, so that could be the issue, but it does appear to KP when I'm clicking a mouse button most of the time.

Just thought I'd put it out there in case anyone else is looking to get a Magic Mouse.

I think the issue may be related to VMWare Fusion 3 (which I upgraded to on Monday). I've dropped back down to 2.06 and am running the 32bit kernel again. We'll see if I get any more KPs. If not, I'll upgrade to 3 again and try the 32bit kernel to see if that is where the issue is.

Guys and gals - the guide links will be down today as the new one is being posted - we are also moving our servers so there will be a downtime of today only.

I am sorry for my brief disappearance from the topic but I have been very busy with my work.

I am free to post the new guide, files and other related items today.

Thanks a ton for the help. I've been working on this for several days now, and am dying to get a working install up. I'll be around all night if you want a test machine with an ATI 4830 to test on.

Target

1. Sleep works fine for me with no issues.

2. Time machine is working fine for me as well. I'm backing up to a separate physical internal drive on my machine.

3. I chose to grab an additional network card when I first installed b/c I was having bonjour issues (which have now been fixed). You should be fine here though.

4. I can sleep and come back and sound has been fine for me.

Thanks for the feedback. I picked up the parts and followed the instructions. Initially, everything seems to be working as expected. I am burning in the hardware (motherboard, cpu and 12gb of ram) to verify stability before I go further.

Ryan, Thanks for this solution.

Regards, Peter

Well everything is working well except for the built-in ethernet. The connection keeps disappearing. I went through at least 10 reinstalls (each with no problems) to see if my updating the EFI strings for my video card was affecting the results. I tried different motherboard bios versions including 707 and 801. Half the time it says there is no functional networking card. The other half of the time it works for a while and then mysteriously disappears.

I will run to Fry's tomorrow and locate that Trendnet card mentioned earlier in the thread and see if that produces better results. If it works, then I will be a happy camper.

If anyone has any other ideas, please let me know.

Regards, Peter

p.s. When I boot into Win7, the ethernet works without issue every time. This precludes the possibility that it is a hardware issue...

Hi,

I am new in building a hackintosh and that's why I have a question:

How can I get a nearly fully working snow leopard installation without a working os x ?

My mobo is also the asus p6t (non deluxe)...

Sorry for my horrible English, but I'm German....(:

Thanks...

Sorry Muffin92, but it seems that you need to wait and see if Ryan comes up with a solution that does not require another working Leopard machine. His previous posts indicate that he is having some issues at the moment. Hopefully we will hear some good news soon. ANother alternative is to find a friend that has a real Mac running Leopard. The amount of time you need to spend on your friend's machine is only about 10-15 minutes...

Regards, Peter

Okay. Here's my update. I located the recommended Trendnet card at Frys. I popped it in and the network is now stable (at least in 64-bit mode -- I don't use 32-bit just yet). The system seems about 99% reliable. I am now in the process of reinstalling and testing all my apps to determine those that work in 64-bit mode.

Thanks again to Ryan for his hard work!

Regards, Peter

In the guide there are several references to a kext utility.app however there is no such app in the downloads. Either way I have SL installed now and testing it out.

Boot does take a long time, about a full minute. But it works.

What's funny is it doesn't recognize my keyboard. Which is an apple aluminum keyboard.

Bios

Does anyone have images of all the bios pages and subpages. I had a great working system thanks to Ryan and I screwed it up. I am getting a boot0 error. In the boot menu under hard disk drives I cannot load my magic stick for some reason it does not appear. Only my other hd's show. I assume this is why I am getting a boot 0 error. I also assume I have some bios setting wrong and that is why I can no longer select that. Any Bio help Please....

I just did the 10.6.2 update via software update. It took awhile and a manual reboot but it's done now. I picked up 3000 points in geekbench. Must be because of the official support for core i7 processors. My FPS also went up in WoW so now it's on par with windows.

The only problem that I can see is I lost sound and don't know how to get it back.

I just did the 10.6.2 update via software update. It took awhile and a manual reboot but it's done now. I picked up 3000 points in geekbench. Must be because of the official support for core i7 processors. My FPS also went up in WoW so now it's on par with windows.

The only problem that I can see is I lost sound and don't know how to get it back.

hey did you get that audio situation fix? i'm thinking about updating but i'm working a video project i need the audio.....

I just did the 10.6.2 update via software update. It took awhile and a manual reboot but it's done now. I picked up 3000 points in geekbench. Must be because of the official support for core i7 processors.

How much was after and before the update? Numbers please! Thanks.

R.

11-9-09 UPDATE

Guys and gals - the guide links will be down agin as the new one is being posted - The move to the new server has taken more time than expected.

I am sorry for my disappearance from the topic but I have been very busy with my work and now the 10.6.2 update.

I had the new magic stick ready to post but 10.6.2 threw a "wrench" in to the mix - I have it fixed now! It took many hours.

I also have the processor being properly recognized - 10.6.2 will NOT work unless this is done (mine shows as a Xeon as it should for a Mac Pro clone - this is not a cosmetic change but an actual patch.

Please stay tuned and be patient as I have put a ton of work into downloading ATI roms, building strings for many cards and getting the machine perfect.

I WOULD NOT UPDATE TO 10.6.2 UNTIL I REPOST THE GUIDE AND FILES - IT MAY BREAK YOUR MACHINE WITHOUT THE PROCESSOR ID PATCH!!!

About 3000 is the best I can do. Didn't write down the pre numbers. Almost all the gains are in CPU. Alittle bit in memory.

You are lucky - The 10.6.2 batched my i7 975 Extreme until I fixed the magic stick!!! I spent hours rebuilding the perfect Magic Stick for ALL possible configurations.

To everyone else, I recommend holding out until I release the final - I am at the mercy of my ISP at the moment but as soon as the DNS propagates I can post all the files.

Regards,

Ryan

Bios

Does anyone have images of all the bios pages and subpages. I had a great working system thanks to Ryan and I screwed it up. I am getting a boot0 error. In the boot menu under hard disk drives I cannot load my magic stick for some reason it does not appear. Only my other hd's show. I assume this is why I am getting a boot 0 error. I also assume I have some bios setting wrong and that is why I can no longer select that. Any Bio help Please....

Boot 0 error means that your magic stick is not the first and only boot device (or you messed up the stick) - easy fix - go to the boot section and under drive order make your Magic Stick first and under boot order make your magic stick the ONLY boot device.

Regards,

Ryan

About 3000 is the best I can do. Didn't write down the pre numbers. Almost all the gains are in CPU. Alittle bit in memory.

Man, there's something weird here. You mean "3000 more points?" Because a I7 should give at least 8000 as it is. My own Q8400 gives me 7300 with just a mild overclock at 3.4 and 6400 at stock. Recheck your numbers.

cheers

Ric

@Archer,

Can you email me a DMG copy of your magic stick and all bios settings. Ill PM you my email address.

Ryan

Man, there's something weird here. You mean "3000 more points?" Because a I7 should give at least 8000 as it is. My own Q8400 gives me 7300 with just a mild overclock at 3.4 and 6400 at stock. Recheck your numbers.

cheers

Ric

3000 more points than I had. Same processor. I am over 8k now. I was at around 5k on 10.6.1

Performance was less than stellar when I installed SL. This patch changed everything for me. Much faster.

Hi,

unfortunately sound isn't working anymore after 10.6.2 Update...

Solo

Look - All I am waiting on is my DNS to propagate so I can provide the proper files and very latest magic stick that fixes ALL of the old and new issues (especially for ATI users).

In the meantime, download Kext Helper b7 app and drag the AppleHDA and HDAEnabler from the magic stick's /EFI/Extra/10.6/Extensions folder to the B7 app's kext window, enter your password and press "Easy Install", repair permissions, reboot then your sound will work... Currently, the sound patch will NOT load form a magic stick, EFI hijack or extra folder with the current files so this is the fix (for the moment)

Like I said - AVOID INSTALLING 10.6.2 as it will break some systems - details later - you need updated files and those of you using SleepEnabler due to using EVOEnabler to have working sleep need to update it (available from netkas) - the current version will break your install!!! If you all can hold out just a bit longer I will post everything my friends.

Just a few more hours and I will be able to post files and instructions for everyone ;)

Every time I have to answer a PM or post from someone not following instructions like please wait on 10.6.2, it hurts everyone else because I have to stop what I am doing and answer questions that will be available to EVERYONE shortly.

I am not trying to be rude but I posted here 3 times to wait on 10.6.2 and there is a reason for that.

Anyway, follow the above and you will be good to go :(

Respectfully,

Ryan

Hi Searay,

I didn't mean to blame you for the not working sound. I am very thankful for your outstanding work and your help. Please don't get me wrong. I followed the thread closely, but I somehow missed the part with the "don't install 10.6.2". I check out your hint with the Kext Utility.

Thanx for everything,

Solo

Hi Ryan,

thanks for the hint with Kext Helper. It worked fine! You are really a Mac genius. Thanks again!

Everything is working perfectly under 10.6.2 now. But everything is a little sloppy. My Macbook feels faster. Don't know why.

Solo