Install Guide for Snow Leopard on a P6T (non deluxe)

Searay_X

Please tell me about your experience with this guide ;)  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Was this helpful?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Did it work for you?

• Yes
    • No

550 posts in this topic

Hey alexdbad...

You actually have an smbios.plist file in your Extra dir? If not that's probably part of the problem.

Hi Tweak41

In your essentials package (or many of the modified versions of it) there is a smbios2.plist in the script files folder and then another smbios.plist in the ready folder. If i rename the first to smbios instead os smbios2 , when i run the boot prep there are no problems, (not sure i should do that though). Anyway regardless, i have used both and placed one at a time in the extra folder , and no difference.

I am totally stuck.

Any idea about the error im getting in those screenshots?

Thanks for the help

Alexdbad

The Link is dead I can't download the file can anyone re-upload the file thank

and I have the Universal Snow I try to install it but when it booting the disc when it reach the white apple screen it will restart the machine. I haven't change any setting to the bios (but I have change the HDD con. to AHCI) cause I can't download the file

Help

My Confuguration

i7 920

ASUS P6T

Corsair Dominator 4GB 1600Mhz Dual Channel

XFX 9600GT 512MB

74GB WD Raptor

I've gone ahead and uploaded a 2nd p6t essentials folder called p6t slim.

- Difference is fewer kexts thanks to dacheat and leozino and I've gone ahead and removed evoenabler so it's easier on non-ati people.

- For you Nvidia owners don't change anything - the com.apple.plist already has enable graphics = y so it should work or at least get you into snow leopard.

The file contains the DSDT from TRICK77 so PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU HAVE BIOS 0801. IF NOT EITHER UPDATE OR DOWNGRADE.

The easiest way to install is to get an 8gb USB stick and restore the DVD to it. Follow the directions from tweak44s guide.

Once you've restored it open up the p6t slim folder > p6t essentials > p6t essentials > 2.bootprep. Double click and it'll open terminal. In terminal it'll first ask you for your password. Then it'll ask you what the name of the USB stick is. Enter those accordingly.

Make sure you see all the files being transferred. Once it's complete open up the USB stick and you should see a boot file and an extras folder with 3-4 items in there.

Again make sure you've got 0801. I haven't tested it with any other bios. It just works and I'm extremely happy trick77 made that dsdt. Made things so much easier. Thanks trick77

Read my previous post for bios settings. Disconnect all other drives/dvd burners/etc.

Keep pressing f8 repeatedly until you get to the boot menu. Choose hte USB stick. You'll see the name of your SL install drive. Now press the arrow down key until you are VERBOSE. Hit enter and see if you get any errors. It should be smooth sailing. Or not. GL either way ;)

P6T SLIM

- Difference is fewer kexts thanks to dacheat and leozino and I've gone ahead and removed evoenabler so it's easier on non-ati people.

- For you Nvidia owners don't change anything - the com.apple.plist already has enable graphics = y so it should work or at least get you into snow leopard.

The file contains the DSDT from TRICK77 so PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU HAVE BIOS 0801. IF NOT EITHER UPDATE OR DOWNGRADE.

The easiest way to install is to get an 8gb USB stick and restore the DVD to it. Follow the directions from tweak44s guide.

Once you've restored it open up the p6t slim folder > p6t essentials > p6t essentials > 2.bootprep. Double click and it'll open terminal. In terminal it'll first ask you for your password. Then it'll ask you what the name of the USB stick is. Enter those accordingly.

Make sure you see all the files being transferred. Once it's complete open up the USB stick and you should see a boot file and an extras folder with 3-4 items in there.

Again make sure you've got 0801. I haven't tested it with any other bios. It just works and I'm extremely happy trick77 made that dsdt. Made things so much easier. Thanks trick77

Read my previous post for bios settings. Disconnect all other drives/dvd burners/etc.

Keep pressing f8 repeatedly until you get to the boot menu. Choose hte USB stick. You'll see the name of your SL install drive. Now press the arrow down key until you are VERBOSE. Hit enter and see if you get any errors. It should be smooth sailing. Or not. GL either way :lol:

P6T SLIM

does this works with 10.6.2 ?

Keep pressing f8 repeatedly until you get to the boot menu. Choose hte USB stick. You'll see the name of your SL install drive. Now press the arrow down key until you are VERBOSE. Hit enter and see if you get any errors. It should be smooth sailing. Or not. GL either way :D

P6T SLIM

Good news got it up and running- Thanks to you guys.. Tweak41 (guide) Leozino, MonsterJ, PS2PK!

Ps2pk slim essentials added ATY kext from MonsterJ guide

Tweak41 guide

Into osx in vesa mode

Run thought MonsterJ guide. (gtx295)

SO far installed a bunch of software, all working, Logic studio real good. Need to test if the graphics card is working fully.

PS2PK - what other kexts can i install now, or should install.

How exactly should they be installed within osx?

I have the jmicron kext, do i just drag this onto kextutility and then it installs? Do i also need to update the boot loader??

Firewire works fine.

I have not updated. I would like to get the basic system ok, then want to make an exact mirror copy of the drive , probaly to external esata drive. Then if i screw things up i can still recover. i hope. Or if you have any ideas of the best way to add kexts or remove kexts but not run through the whole reinstall process if something goes wrong.

Any ideas on how to make the exact copy of the drive?

And how do i know if im in 32 or 64 bit?

Thanks again!!! :P

Alexdbad

Hello Everyone.

I'm completely new to this forum and hackintash making.

I used the guide and installed the SL 10.6 on a P6T with nivida GTX250 every thing works fast and good but my e-SATA and FW HDD doesn't work! any suggestions.

another problem is happened when I upgraded to 10.6.2 with my display!

I have a normal VGA (17" LCD) and a samsung FullHD LED TV which is connected through DVI->HDMI cable. both of them works together in perfect way in 10.6.0 but whenever I upgrade to 10.6.2 the LED will make the system to Halt.

Please help

Hi

I'm totally new on the subject, and I want to install snow leopard on my pc at the moment already have a retail version I bought some time but still not had time to make this experience.

I wonder what they needed and if someone I can simplify the installation process (step by step) since I do not know the area.

I leave my hardware :

P6T

I7 920

GTX 275

Thanks

Any news from searay? I hope he was not working at psystar :dev:

It's a mystery. He was so giving of his time, maybe over-committing himself a bit. ;-) Very weird that he would just drop off completely like this. I've seen other guys start support threads like this who eventually realized it was too much of a commitment to "own" forever, but they typically made an announcement and others kinda took over.

This seemed very sudden. As I said, he was very giving of his time, answering PMs and emails directly, in addition to all he shared here. He did offer his phone number as well, but I could never bring myself to impose on him real-time.

I hope he's okay.

Merry Christmas, Ryan.

-Z

It's a mystery. He was so giving of his time, maybe over-committing himself a bit. ;-) Very weird that he would just drop off completely like this. I've seen other guys start support threads like this who eventually realized it was too much of a commitment to "own" forever, but they typically made an announcement and others kinda took over.

This seemed very sudden. As I said, he was very giving of his time, answering PMs and emails directly, in addition to all he shared here. He did offer his phone number as well, but I could never bring myself to impose on him real-time.

I hope he's okay.

Merry Christmas, Ryan.

-Z

The ruling on Phystar effectively put an end to any companies similar to it as well and Searay had (from initial observation of his site) the makings of a potential Phystar competitor. This is speculation but as someone with experience in webhosting, bandwidth providers, etc, my observation that his webhosting troubles probably had something to do with the grey area of the scenario and the TOS of most bandwidth providers. What we discuss and share is acceptable to Apple since it's free advertising for Mac (try before you buy) plus we fix a large number of their coding and tech support problems for free. But once someone wants to sell Mac clones, then Apple is obviously going to complain to a bandwidth provider. Getting your domain resolved should take 24 hour hours or less...and all of the problems that he faced suggested major webhosting hurdles, i.e. nobody wanted to touch it, grey area in the legal sense or not. He did indeed help me as well initially and he was a tremendous asset to the community. His absence is excessive after being seemingly so motivated (on top of promises to so many who were waiting for his EFI fixes) so I hope the ruling was not the reason for said absence. It's possible to earn a good income in the hackintosh community, but probably only from advertising should you own a website that discusses the topic. But to sell and directly profit from the sale of what we do here....it won't get someone very far.

The ruling on Phystar effectively put an end to any companies similar to it as well and Searay had (from initial observation of his site) the makings of a potential Phystar competitor. This is speculation but as someone with experience in webhosting, bandwidth providers, etc, my observation that his webhosting troubles probably had something to do with the grey area of the scenario and the TOS of most bandwidth providers. What we discuss and share is acceptable to Apple since it's free advertising for Mac (try before you buy) plus we fix a large number of their coding and tech support problems for free. But once someone wants to sell Mac clones, then Apple is obviously going to complain to a bandwidth provider. Getting your domain resolved should take 24 hour hours or less...and all of the problems that he faced suggested major webhosting hurdles, i.e. nobody wanted to touch it, grey area in the legal sense or not. He did indeed help me as well initially and he was a tremendous asset to the community. His absence is excessive after being seemingly so motivated (on top of promises to so many who were waiting for his EFI fixes) so I hope the ruling was not the reason for said absence. It's possible to earn a good income in the hackintosh community, but probably only from advertising should you own a website that discusses the topic. But to sell and directly profit from the sale of what we do here....it won't get someone very far.

Ah, you may be on to something. I never really checked out his website--it was pretty empty when I looked for the BIOS screen shots on it several months back--and wasn't exactly sure what he was trying to do. I assumed he was offering to sell Hackintosh builds, but at the same time, he didn't openly seem to be selling here, and was happy to instruct people on how to build their own. Kinda like the guys on PC build forums that sell custom built rigs--but, as you say, those guys don't have the same licensing barriers that Hackintosh resellers face.

Anyway, I'm on a system happily running 10.6.1--I had been holding out on my upgrade to 10.6.2 as Searay had promised an imminent fix or something... so I had been ignoring other people's posts on 10.6.2--guess I'll try to read through and figure it out when I get time.

Or does anybody have concise instructions on what to do if you have a solid 10.6.1 system, built using Searay's files and instructions?

Z

Ah, you may be on to something. I never really checked out his website--it was pretty empty when I looked for the BIOS screen shots on it several months back--and wasn't exactly sure what he was trying to do. I assumed he was offering to sell Hackintosh builds, but at the same time, he didn't openly seem to be selling here, and was happy to instruct people on how to build their own. Kinda like the guys on PC build forums that sell custom built rigs--but, as you say, those guys don't have the same licensing barriers that Hackintosh resellers face.

Anyway, I'm on a system happily running 10.6.1--I had been holding out on my upgrade to 10.6.2 as Searay had promised an imminent fix or something... so I had been ignoring other people's posts on 10.6.2--guess I'll try to read through and figure it out when I get time.

Or does anybody have concise instructions on what to do if you have a solid 10.6.1 system, built using Searay's files and instructions?

Z

Following his guide months ago I had a 100% fully working 10.6.1 install. When 10.6.2 came out I just did software update and the only issue with I had to manually load the sound kexts again. Aside from that I had no issues.

Following his guide months ago I had a 100% fully working 10.6.1 install. When 10.6.2 came out I just did software update and the only issue with I had to manually load the sound kexts again. Aside from that I had no issues.

What do you mean, manually load the sound kexts? Can I just recompile using the Kext Utility?

-Z

What do you mean, manually load the sound kexts? Can I just recompile using the Kext Utility?

-Z

I mean I had to install new kexts directly into snow leopard. The ones on the "magic stick" would no longer load. Not a big deal. A few clicks and you're done.

Hi, I would like to know if the files are back online, and ready to be downloaded.

Is the guide fully functional now?

I've seen other guides, but this one strikes me as the most suitable one for my PC:

Asus P6T (non deluxe, non SE)

i7 920 2.67ghz

12gb Ram

Sata hdd

Ide DVD rom

Nvidia Geforce 9500 GT

If anyone got any advice, I will gladly take it :)

Thanks in advance.

Hey IRoan,

I recently completed this process on a standard Asus P6T. Everything is working for me. You can read my blog entry about it, which contains some info and links to the KEXTs I used, which ones I used after updating to 10.6.2, my DSDT.aml (from Trick77 -- the best one I could find), etc.

http://www.cameronbarry.com/weblog/2009/12...-p6t-intel.html

Pop me a message if you have any questions.

Hi, I would like to know if the files are back online, and ready to be downloaded.

Is the guide fully functional now?

I've seen other guides, but this one strikes me as the most suitable one for my PC:

Asus P6T (non deluxe, non SE)

i7 920 2.67ghz

12gb Ram

Sata hdd

Ide DVD rom

Nvidia Geforce 9500 GT

If anyone got any advice, I will gladly take it :)

Thanks in advance.

Hey IRoan,

I recently completed this process on a standard Asus P6T. Everything is working for me. You can read my blog entry about it, which contains some info and links to the KEXTs I used, which ones I used after updating to 10.6.2, my DSDT.aml (from Trick77 -- the best one I could find), etc.

hy there! can you tell me if you have 5.1 sound with onboard ALC1200 ? thank you

Hey IRoan,

First of all, Thanks for the answer :unsure:

I've been reading your entry and it makes a lot of sense to me now :)

I am still kinda new to all of this so I have 2 questions...

Will I have any problems with my DVD (the burner/reader) which is IDE (my HDDs are SATA)

And most important: I really find it difficult to make the EFI disk (or the chameleon bootdisk) so I was wondering if you could, somehow, make a small ISO image (or DMG) of your bootdisk (the one you used for this instalation) with all the kexts, etc, and host it @megaupload or something like that so I could download it and make the disk...

Also, should it be a DISK (CD - DVD) or can it be a USB stick? (i got a 4 gig one, wonder if it's enough)

Thanks in advance,

D.

Hey iRoan,

You need a working macintosh to use my method. I had a macbook pro that I did all this on, but you could do it on a school lab computer, or a friends computer.

The best thing to do is to follow this guide to make a bootable USB stick with the Snow Leopard DVD. I did not use a disk/dvd, indeed that would be a PITA, IMHO. Use this method:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=189052

All you do is use Disk Utility to make an image of the Snow Leopard DVD, then you "burn" it to your USB stick. Mine ended up being about 6.8 gigs or so, so you will need a bigger one than 4gigs but they are only like $30 for 8 gig at apple store.

AFTER THAT, on your friend's mac or whatever, you download the P6T Essentials.zip file that I am hosting here:

http://www.cameronbarry.com/P6TEssentials.zip

Unzip it, and then open the folder and run the 2_Boot Prep file. This will make the USB Stick bootable, and it will install Chameleon and the 10.6.0 kexts that come in the essentials file, as well as the DSDT.aml file.

NOW you have a bootable snow leopard USB stick. Ta da.

Now DRAG A COPY of that P6T Essentials folder onto your USB stick so you have it when you boot from it.

Next, boot from your USB stick and install OSX on your hackintosh. Once you boot into the setup program you may need to go up to DISK utility and partition/format your drive. When you partition your drive, make note of the volume name that you give it. I just called mine Macintosh HD because that is what they are normally called. When it is done installing, you may not get any special screen, in fact it may say the installation failed or just reboot (mine just rebooted and I was sad, but it actually had installed! so don't fret)

Now even though OSX is installed on your drive, you still need to boot from your USB Stick, go into the P6T Essentials file, and run the 3_MacLoader file. When asked about EFI, say N. (note, you must put a capital N for no, otherwise it says you are a moron basically.) When asked where retail Snow Leopard is installed, give it the volume name of your partition ("Macintosh HD")... when it asks where you want to setup the MacLoader, give it the volume name of your partition (should be the same... Macintosh HD). This will install the boot loader on your new OSX installation, and you will then be able to eject your USB stick and boot to your new OSX installation :)

I hope this helps. Basically, I am just recapping what the guide says. If you follow the guide I linked above to make your USB stick and get your system installed, you will be fine. Once you get it installed, be very careful when updating to 10.6.2. If you have any questions about that let me know.

-Cam

First of all, Thanks for the answer :)

I've been reading your entry and it makes a lot of sense to me now :)

I am still kinda new to all of this so I have 2 questions...

Will I have any problems with my DVD (the burner/reader) which is IDE (my HDDs are SATA)

D.

I used a SATA DVD drive, but I think an IDE would work fine for playing DVDs, in fact it may work better than the intel sata controller. I had to put my DVD drive on the JMicron SATA controller because having it on the Intel sata controller made the DVD's all choppy and stuttery (is that a word?).

Probably the best thing to do, since you don't need a DVD drive for this portion of it, is just to unhook it until you get your system installed on SATA 0 with your USB stick. Then when you are all up and running and happy, connect up your IDE drive. If it doesn't work, look for a KEXT (I might have one if you need it) or there might already be one in that essentials package... but at least you'll have a bootable system at that point. Baby steps =)

-Cam

hy there! can you tell me if you have 5.1 sound with onboard ALC1200 ? thank you

You know I've been researching this a little bit. In fact, I went out today to buy a 5.1 speaker system but my friend talked me into getting a 2.1 for $20 instead, sorry :unsure:

However, take a look at this post:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=87336

Also, AFAIK, I am using this KEXT for the ALC1200 and its working fine, and showing all inputs:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=161430

So try that kext and check out the steps in the first link and I think you'll be on your way =) And please please let me know if you get it working so I can buy a 5.1 system =)

-Cam